Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Despite looking like hot space babes, Asari are officially monogendered so they can get it on with anybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Moon Monster posted:

IIRC if you're not cool about the trans character being trans it gives you the biggest relationship hit in the game with every character in your party, which is sort of funny in a game where you can commit genocide and that kind of thing. Some people did indeed about this hurting their immersion, but to their credit it is pretty strange.

That isn't true at all, Iron Bull just reprimands you if you keep saying Krem is a girl and that's as far as it goes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bioware stories are actually pretty awesome at being almost perfectly paced and unfolding just enough of the plot to sustain forward momentum, unlike virtually every other RPG I play where Lord Infodump unloads 10 paragraphs of text about some boring crap and I lose interest after only a couple hours.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The final twist or whatever you want to call it is lame because all it was all a dream simulation!! endings are just kinda lame conceptually, regardless of how well they are established.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Some games really come alive on the highest difficulty, like say Mass Effect 2, and some just kind of increase HP/damage and call it a day. I liked RE4's dynamic difficulty scaling and I think more modern games should do that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Inferior posted:

There’s a side quest in Horizon Zero Dawn where you have to find two power cells to unlock a bunker containing a cool treasure. Power cells are rare doodads that you can only find in certain dungeons. After hours of adventuring I had the two I needed, travelled back to the bunker, opened the door and... was immediately told I’d need another three power cells to actually get the treasure.

Why didn’t it just tell me I needed five in the first place? Aargh.

If it makes you feel any better, you can't actually get all the power cells until the second to last mission in the game. The shield armor is more of an EZ mode button for the final act and an incentive to try out NG+. Here are the locations of all 5 power cells in case you want to hunt them down:

1. Ruins in the starting area that Aloy fell into as a child.
2. Side room in the cave beneath Mother's Cradle. Don't worry if you didn't get this one yet, you return here at a later point in the story.
3. Tower at the very top of Maker's End.
4. Shaft in the Grave-Hoards, almost impossible to miss.
5. Ruins in the quest The Mountain That Fell, in a side room down and to the left of where you take the zipline.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's easy to forget now but FFX was really the first game of its scale to get full VA, which more or less became the industry standard for any RPG project with a budget bigger than a toaster. Some rough patches were inevitable, but it was really an impressive technical achievement for the time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Anyone into PC gaming knows it's a stupid expensive hobby so at the end of the day what's another $200 on a PS4 slim.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Monster Hunter has a learning curve and a comparatively long gameplay loop of about 30-40min between prep, hunting, collecting and crafting each hunt with no story to speak of so it's totally understandable how many people can't commit to that, even if others find it highly addictive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

RE4 had a dynamic difficulty that would increase or decrease the amount of enemies, ammo, and pickups depending on how you were doing. It's subtle enough that most people never noticed it. More games should have dynamic difficulty settings.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MrAptronym posted:

So, working through my backlog onto Tales of Berseria. I've only played through one Tales game before and that was years ago. I like the game a lot so far, but the combat system seems to be based on momentum and sometimes if you get caught in stuns / otherwise gently caress up and lose all your souls, the battle just grinds to a halt. Win or lose you are going to be impotently poking at the enemy until you can get them back. You can swap your character... but that also requires a meter that you can't seem to charge when your souls are low.

This is probably made a lot worse for me because I have trouble with the perfect guards in this game. (Which seem intended to be the main way to quickly regain souls?) The timing just feels off to me and some of the bosses' tells are so short that I can't move into guard in time should I be doing literally anything else. Dodges seem a bit crap compared to what I am used to, but I'll admit that may be from playing too many Platinum games. I get hit a lot trying to dodge at the last second.

Port runs really well on PC though.

Don't dodge, don't block. Just play as Velvet and spam the claw to victory.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Monster Hunter is not for everyone, this is the "complain about games" thread, who cares, etc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Morpheus posted:

The fights in Monster Hunter are not boss fights, they are the entire mission. That's like saying you didn't like the fights in Shadow of the Colossus because they are too long 'for boss fights', when in fact they aren't boss fights, they are the core of what the entire game is based around - every single mechanic in the game is structured around these battles. BUT that said if you don't like that core, then it's totally understandable, and people saying that your dislike of the game is incorrect for some reason is dumb.

In the case of Monster Hunter it's not just the fight itself but the preparation, eating, loading, searching for the thing, returning to base, crafting, comparing items, selling off the excess materials, checking your research/farm etc. If you want to complete one whole gameplay loop as it's structured then it can actually take a whole lot longer than even the 20 minutes spent in combat. I can really only get in one quest in the morning between the time I wake up to when I go to the gym, whereas say in Diablo 3 I could bang out more than a few rifts, take down 2-3 colossi in SotC, advance a little bit of story in Tales of Berseria, and so on. The pace of the game is intentionally deliberate, and if you only have a limited window to get some questing done before you have to attend other obligations, it can be hard to fit it all in without leaving something unfinished.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Capcom has been at least temporarily saved by the success of MHW after SFV failed to impress and MvCI tanked bigly. RE7 was only a modest hit for them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think all it was all a dream/simulation!! endings are just inherently weak. They've been done a million times over and most rely on cheap last-minute reversals rather than a thoughtful recontextualization of everything that preceded it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Link's Awakening is like a million years old and made before video game stories were barely evolved so who cares about that. When games are still resorting to "it was all a dream!!" in 2018 then you gotta wonder.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Batman falls into the same problem as most superheroes where there's really only 2-3 kinds of stories you can tell, so people keep repeating those unto infinity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Souls games would be a lot more enjoyable for me if every single thing was not trying to kill you at all times. Like maybe every five minutes, a thing tries to kill you. But mostly things are just weird and atmospheric.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Then there wouldn't be any atmosphere. The atmosphere comes from the constant sense of danger.

There are many games that manage to convey a persistent sense of unease without everything trying to kill you. Silent Hill 2 is one of the creepiest games ever made and you can bypass literally 90% of all the monsters in the game. Doesn't keep it from having a superbly oppressive atmosphere.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Len posted:

Life is Strange Before the Storm feels like it exists just to be incredibly depressing. The first one wasn’t exactly happy but goddamn. There’s nothing happy in this game. Protip: if you’re like my fiancee and got way too emotionally invested in the game don’t go into Farewell expecting anything other than misery.

I love the Life is Strange series but it is 95% tragedy. Don't worry though, it all ends well if you make the right choice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The new God of War... looks good. I think it will be good, and my gamer instincts are never wrong.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Len posted:

I'm gonna rent it rather than go off the goon hive mind. Until Dawn looked bad according to goons and it was a really good cool and fun game. Resident Evil 7 was a lovely Outlast clone until it came out and oh look it's a Resident Evil game with combat exactly like Capcom told us it would be.

All I know is I look at the GoW previews with the guy throwing the axe and splitting the monsters in half with the axe, then kicking down a bridge and throwing a dude off that same bridge, and it's ticking all my "this is extremely cool poo poo" synapses.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I buy games at full price on release because I know what I like and am not easily swayed by goon opinions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DOOM was a game I was very happy to be wrong about. Thankfully that Nvidia tech demo came around and showed the actual capabilities of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think gamers overall are supremely negative on any major AAA game until the moment it releases, maybe because they've been burned many times by downgraded graphics and inflated expectations. I remember when Horizon Zero Dawn premiered in 2015 you had people insisting for years that there was no way it would look that good and it was 100% scripted, when the final product ended up looking even better and the combat was more or less the same exact strategy you use for taking down a Thunderjaw.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

lol yeah, gamers never get hyped up for video games pre-release, that’s why preorder numbers are always so low.

I'll rephrase and say that posters on these forums are predominantly negative when it comes to upcoming games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Remember when dragon Age actually gave you quests to go to DLC areas even if you didn't have the DLC? If you didn't know any better you'd just talk to these people and they'd say go do a thing and then when you tried to go to that area you'd get some splash page advertisement. I can't remember if you can abandon those quests or not so you can get them out of your inventory, but I can remember that I quit the game not long after they pulled that poo poo.

It was worse than that. In Origins there was an NPC who sat in your camp with an exclamation point permanently above his head until you bought the DLC.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think romantic relationships in video games can be well-written just like anything else, but not when done for the express purpose of getting the player's rocks off. Bioware romances always have that veneer of skeeze about them because the end goal is, let's be honest, to provide cheap thrills and titillation for the player rather than explore character in any meaningful way. That's not to say anything about the sex scenes, which are a whole other can of worms.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can run for pretty long distances and I don't like it when playable characters are more out of shape than I am.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Been playing Tomb Raider's survival mode this morning and Lara Croft is truly a woman after my own heart. Can run for miles uninterrupted but gets hungry again five minutes after eating a whole loving deer. Never before have I felt such a deep connection to a video game character.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Also wasn't Battleborn more of a MOBA while Overwatch is a TF2?

Battleborn came out a couple weeks prior to Overwatch. It wasn't really in the same genre but it did suffer from very unfavorable comparisons in the artstyle, hero roster, and UI. The art direction in Overwatch is a masterclass in effective and crisp design whereas Battleborn is, uh

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hellgate London also had a $200 "lifetime" subscription tier before the servers folded in six months and were sold off to some Chinese company. In today's market you really have to admire its forward-thinking advancements in grift.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Sure but some people will expressly call a game worse for not having replayability. You see it all the time. Somebody says some game like Do4m is great, then somebody else points out the campaign is only x hours long and it has no replayability so therefor it's a bad game.

I don't get it. I don't demand movies have 'rewatchability' to be good, even though I'll rewatch movies that I really love.

Maybe it's goalposting but I'm finding what I find terrible in the term 'replayability' is its use in detracting from games.

If a game offers you something you enjoy and gives you a reason to go through it multiple times, great. Fine. Enjoy yourself. But I see people complain and moan about games lacking that, and that seems incredibly unreasonable when media in general is just an experience that you pay for. Once you've experienced it theres no more to it, you just move on.

So like, in a dumb way a game that lacks replayability shouldn't be punished so I likewise don't see the point of celebrating a game that has it?

Some of my favorite games ever I beat only once under 10 hours and have no intention to replay. The Diablos of the world are fine timewasters but there's a difference between those and the ones that really have a strong emotional effect upon you. I think the same is true of many films.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

At least DS3 didn't hard lock your system every time you tried to exit the game like it did for me on launch. :waycool:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The game has been out for one week, of course all the slapped together Arcade mode scenarios are going to be terrible before people figure out how to use the tools effectively.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SotC barely explaining how to play the game is imho one of the aspects that contribute to its brilliance, although that approach is admittedly not going to appeal to everyone. The Dormin hints kind of spell out how to kill the colossi if you’re really stumped.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's art.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bayonetta's design is so unashamedly over-the-top that I can't hate it. All these things are subjective but I think her look manages to strike the right balance of hyperfeminine without being too distractingly horny.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I actually really love that close behind the back camera view, and modern gaming has rewarded me aplomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's a deliberate artistic choice that often coincides with the type of game you're trying to create. If your game features a central protagonist that evolves over the course of the story (TW3, Horizon, Uncharted, etc.) then an intimate third-person camera perspective helps to build empathy with that character over time. Seeing their reactions to events in the game world, getting hurt, their idiosyncracies, along with all the cool stuff they do in combat naturally makes your brain identify with them more. It's no mistake that games built around a charismatic lead all tend to have this third-person view.