Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The weapon challenges really should have levelled up your gear in some way (or even been the way you earned the rune slots + special skills)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

The fix is: play it on PC. Apparently the PS3 and New Vegas' engine just don't get along.

Gamebryo in general is really iffy with the PS3 due to the system's shared RAM architecture (it shares 512 MB for both video and regular RAM.) Oblivion ran okay, but FO3, New Vegas and Skyrim all have issues due to hitting the memory limits.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SpookyLizard posted:

Chances are it has something to do with GFWL. That poo poo died back in like july, and bethesda never patched Fallout 3 to remove it. So you need to download a patcher from the nexus mods site to remove GFWL from FO3. Then you should be able to play it and deal with all the regular bugs and crashing.

Actually GFWL is still running. Nothing new is coming for it, but Microsoft never officially killed it.

And iirc Bethesda did patch it so the game will run without GFWL. They just didn't go the extra mile and convert it over to steamworks.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
One thing I hate about The Last of Us (very minor spoiler about enemy encounters you never once have a humans AND zombies fight. The game is just begging for a battlefield of bandits vs. clickers setpiece but it never happens.

EDIT: \/ I've never played the DLC

Mokinokaro has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Oct 5, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Yeah. He voices two space marine heroes and the chaos space marine guy.

He actually voices 4 characters in the campaign. There's an apothecary also voiced by him in conversations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

Troy Baker's range is ridiculous and he's one of the few over-exposed VA's who isn't land-locked into a single role because of how well he can throw his voice around. As mentioned, dudes like Blum and North have a lot of variety too, but their main voice is so iconic that it tends to be the only one in demand.

Yeah, he wasn't really recognizable as Joel in TLoU either (and another great example of a typecast actor having range is Nolan North's David in that game. Holy poo poo was he different than the norm.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

but it makes it all feel a bit samey, since neither of your eventual sidekicks ever feel like helping out with it.

Yeah this disappointed a friend who liked the game a lot. Those two needed more screen time (besides the fun prequel expansion about one of them.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

Is the loot and level scaling still terrible?

Loot hasn't improved too much. Level scaling is definitely better (closer to BL1.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you are in the same cell as the npc they don't usually move during the waiting. It's just a quirk of the engine.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

I can't say that it's something everyone will/would experience, but in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, there is a new special currency that replaces Irridium called Moonstones. The good thing is that they are much more common now, and used for a lot more stuff, but a few hours ago, just before I was about to finally return to the hub town my total drops from 67 to 10 for no reason.

I was gonna buy so many backpack and ammo upgrades! But despite all my complaints I just can't put it down. drat you, Gearbox! :argh:

There are chests that use moonstone to open and using E on the grinder is for "moonstone" grinding that gives better items. Are you sure you haven't encountered either?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Suitaru posted:

If Skyrim were a lake, it'd be miles across and an inch deep.

And yet you'd still want to see of there were some notable islands in it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
What I really want to see is more dynamic content in open world games.

Like imagine if the civil war in skyrim was dynamic. Both sides would push back and forth, taking and losing footholds across the realm.

For the sake of quest structure you'd probably have to keep it from spilling into the main cities until the plot required it, mind, but there could be smaller villages that fall under the sway of either side.

They could even tie it into the radiant quest system and have your chosen side give you missions to aid the war effort.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
NCR consider you a member if you get friendly enough but even then you're basically just a grunt soldier, maybe a ranger at most until after the ending (and yes unlike most open world games there is an actual ending you don't play beyond.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

redweird posted:

Apparently the pre-sequel didn't fix the terrible, terrible scaling of the second game. I can't understand how you wouldn't remedy that.

It's definitely not perfect, but it has been improved. Of course they haven't added a 3rd playthrough (yet?) and that's where BL2 really broke down.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I forget what game it was but I played one where the collectibles were completely hidden until you got down to the last ten where they were then shown on the map. Seemed a good way to handle it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doctor Bishop posted:

On the topic of finding collectibles, the whole audio log collection quest/side story in Halo 3: ODST really would've been improved by some sort of indicator on the map, even if it was just something like marking where every log you'd found already was so you could figure out where the rest were by process of elimination.

That's a good way to do it as well. Just have the ones you've found marked.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Imperium Galactica?

EDIT: /\ Star Citizen is just a scam, not even a real game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Let's just all agree that the Souls fan base is insufferable in general.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

Oddly enough the original Halo used a combination of regenerating shields and finite health + health packs, yet despite basically everything else from it being stolen or copied ad nauseam I can't recall all that many games that took that route for health, even though I think it's a great compromise between the two designs.

I actually still don't really like pure regenerating health. Triply so if it involves mucking up the screen with red poo poo so it's even easier to die once you take critical amounts of damage.

Resistance had a decent system where your health bar was divided into segments and you'd only regenerate up to the last partially full segment. Restoring completely lost bits required health packs.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Colonel posted:

Xenogears is a really loving good JRPG, which is a genre of games I usually have a bit of trouble getting into. It's probably my favorite, I really dig the story, insane as it can get. But Disc 2 is kind of lovely. In a JRPG where I actually enjoy the gameplay, I would have liked there to be more of that in the last ten hours of the game rather than long plot summarizations and cutscenes. On one hand, they couldn't really do anything about it for budget reasons, but on the other hand, goddammit man learn how to manage your budgets.

It wasn't really their fault: Square jumped in partway through develop and massively slashed the budget in favor of Final Fantasy VIII. Because we really needed THAT game, apparently.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crowetron posted:

Also, the game really could use a few more decent Rogue companions. Yoshimo and Imoen seem to be the only two who can pick a lock worth a poo poo, and both of them get sidelined by plot stuff for significant portions of the game.

Jan is a decent rogue as long as you use his magic to supplement his thief abilities.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Honestly what I want to see from Walking Dead tv now is a good survivor group that decides Rick and his methods are too extreme and evil for them.

Or Rick's paranoia to actually create a misunderstanding with a well intentioned community.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The problem though is that "demoing"games leaves you with a copy that's even more buggy than the retail due to the lack of patches and new bugs introduced by circumventing the drm.

For instance the Unity face bug was solved for most players by the day one patch (not that Unity lacks other problems.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
What difficulty are you playing on? The higher the difficulty, the closer the alien sticks to you.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

It was your choice of siding with either the overstretched, battle-fatigued, but ultimately well-meaning NCR or the ultra-violent slavers that everyone hated.

Mr. House was a nice nuanced choice though? There was also the wildcard option (which could royally screw the region or not depending on earlier choices.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I actually kind of like that about it to be honest.

House has had a while to watch them and has decided that their goals are simply mutually exclusive and it is pretty true given how the Brotherhood is about pre-war tech. In real life there's no pleasing everybody. Now, if there was some way to scare them off or a non-lethal approach to getting rid of them it wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

Also you can leave the Brotherhood alive in the Independent ending, and surprise, surprise, they start blockading the highways and seizing any technology they find.

Yeah, the only non-rear end in a top hat ending is if they work for the NCR and even then they trade prewar tech for their services.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

scarycave posted:

There doesn't seem to be any point to it combat wise either.
The moves you get on your own are worlds better than anything the farts could ever hope to achieve.

Farts ain't got nothing on Moses.

Yeah the only fart move I used in combat was adding it to a normal attack to inflict gross out. The actual spells sucked.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I usually dont care too much about graphics, but W2 looks so goddamn bad I haven't been able to bring myself to play it for more than an hour.

Seriously, I can play Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky which is a PSP port or any number of retro games but there's something just incredibly offputting about Wasteland 2's art direction.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

And hooooly gently caress, those rhymes are awful. They're usually just cute in an inept sort of way, but there are certain points (especially with the Confessions, which are kind of like optional codex entries) where the language and syntax is so mangled it's almost impossible to parse sentences.

The script had a French writer which probably explains a lot of the oddness to it.

The only bit where I thought the rhyming scheme was cute was with the female jester and how she keeps screwing it up.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Iirc that quest either doesn't have a marker or the terrain makes it very hard to see.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Game Devs should troll players by putting in BAD END at the end of linear games. Uncharted 3 ends and everyone rides off into the sky, all alive and healthy and then BAD ENDING- credits.

I know of one game that does this though I forget the name.

True end: everybody dies because a prophecy predicted the end of the world and it came true. The "bad end" is the best outcome for everyone since the main character is a sort of villain.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

I hear she's actually done well in Injustice.

Outside of her absolutely atrocious character design she is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

The bigger issue with Shadow Warrior is that it's extremely boring. It starts great and turns into a boring shooter in an industrial park really fast.

It gets better after the industrial park but that section is just a painful slog.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm not sure if I'll get it on a sale and see if it has any redeeming value or just accept that borderlands has gone the way of almost everything else gearbox has made.

2K Australia made Presequel, not Gearbox.

And it's okay for one playthrough when it drops to 10-15$. There's too much that hurts its replayability though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CitizenKain posted:

I recently finished Tales of Xillia on the PS3 and I feel that the Tales series combat is getting far too complex for its own good. There are so many layered systems on top of each other combining with every character not only having their own unique moves, style and abilities, they also have a link ability with whoever you are controlling. Now throw this into a fast paced 3d environment and I'm simply staring at a bunch of anime people shouting at each other while I'm mashing buttons.
The funny thing is, you can mash buttons for a huge portion of the game and still get through. In Xillia, I didn't know you could switch characters in combat until the last boss. I somehow never read the tutorial for that. I never did figure out what the gently caress I was supposed to do in Tales of the Abyss with whatever its battle gimmick was.

Xillia 2 is a bit better than the first at it since it's very slanted towards you maining Ludger (and he has 3 styles he swaps between on the fly.)

I very much prefer Graces' combat system myself though where it's not much more complicated than a fighting game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Dragons can get really nasty later in the game as you approach level 50, but their scaling definitely seems off compared to a lot of other enemies.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

im pooping! posted:

I don't have first hand experience but mechanically it's very similar, they just have lower resolution/less character model variables and fewer dialog lines.

The 360 and ps3 versions are terrible. Horrible fps and screen tearing and there's so much cut out to fit on the 360 DVD and in memory limits it's a wonder they even bothered instead of pulling a Dying Light.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

Destiny was clearly planned as a much larger game. DLC delivery system.

FTFY.

I expect we'll see most of the "unfinished" content finished in DLC addons. It's the Activision way. The base game story mode is essentially a tour of future DLC plothooks more than a proper story in itself.

Which is a shame as I do agree with the sentiment the game would be good with more content (and maybe the grindy bullshit cut down a bit.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ZeusCannon posted:

Also every chest in the game requires you to log into something else to open it.

they patched all that out about a month ago.

Agreed that Arno is really boring though. Elise should've been the main character.