Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

kazil posted:

Maybe Assassin's Creed just follows the rule of Star Trek Movies.

Only play the even numbered rifftraxed ones.

Don't tell me it wouldn't improve the cutscene drudgery immensely. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I will give AC4 this, Kenway is both the character in that game I liked the least and the one I came to enjoy the most. It's not an amazing game but I felt they made the character turn around in a meaningful way through his actions by the end. For a game that I bought strictly to shoot pirate ships in that was a pleasant surprise. He was no Ezio but he is def my no.2 favorite int he series.

The new guy is AC:UNplayable is just loving boring. How the gently caress you make a revolution that literally consumed itself in violence boring is beyond me but they did it. Also every chest in the game requires you to log into something else to open it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The player physics in Minecraft are annoying. You have no inertia at all so you can jump at a skeleton, furiously swiping your goofy pixel sword, and one lousy arrow will hit you hard enough to send you flying backwards even though it does almost no damage.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona 4: It seems like accessory items appear way too often in locked treasure chests, whereas everything else appears way too little. I've got a whole bunch of chest keys so it's not a problem, but I imagine I'd be annoyed if I only had a handful.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ZeusCannon posted:

Also every chest in the game requires you to log into something else to open it.

they patched all that out about a month ago.

Agreed that Arno is really boring though. Elise should've been the main character.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

I will give AC4 this, Kenway is both the character in that game I liked the least and the one I came to enjoy the most. It's not an amazing game but I felt they made the character turn around in a meaningful way through his actions by the end. For a game that I bought strictly to shoot pirate ships in that was a pleasant surprise. He was no Ezio but he is def my no.2 favorite int he series.

The new guy is AC:UNplayable is just loving boring. How the gently caress you make a revolution that literally consumed itself in violence boring is beyond me but they did it. Also every chest in the game requires you to log into something else to open it.

Meanwhile, AC:Rogue gets a throwaway character who is neither annoying nor memorable, but ends up getting one of the, if not THE best gameplay in the series. Like AC4 on steroids, and not the kind that makes your nuts shrink.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The best thing about Rogue is the fact there are no eavesdropping missions and maybe one (easy) tailing mission. I love Black Flag, but it has entirely too much tailing and eavesdropping.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

actually the best thing about rogue is the pirate ship combat but we can agree to disagree

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tailing and eavesdropping missions can gently caress right off and die.

I guess my personal philosophy for open-world game missions is that they should facilitate fun stuff that can't happen organically during the open-world gameplay. GTAV gets this, GTAIV did not. Assassin's Creed 2 got this. AC1 is kind of an interesting case, in that the open world was designed to facilitate the assassination missions, as opposed to almost all modern games that start with an open world and then come up with missions to populate it. Like, you take the missions out of Far Cry 4, it's still Far Cry 4 and it still works. You take the missions out of AC1, and there isn't a game anymore. Shadow of Mordor is a fantastic leap forward for design in terms of trying to somewhat remove the missions and make most of the "story" be a product of open play, so I fully expect nobody to copy it and keep right on making open worlds for the sake of open worlds where you traipse from mission to mission.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Trailing missions suck especially hard because in all video games ever made your character walks faster than the NPCs walk and runs slower than the NPCs run, so you end up lazing around running in circles waiting for them to move or staggering your walk in a dumb looking way so you don't catch up to them by accident.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Trailing missions suck especially hard because in all video games ever made your character walks faster than the NPCs walk and runs slower than the NPCs run, so you end up lazing around running in circles waiting for them to move or staggering your walk in a dumb looking way so you don't catch up to them by accident.

RDR did the best with this. When normally walking/riding a horse, you're slower and faster than them, but you can press a button that will force you to keep pace with them. I loved that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DStecks posted:

Tailing and eavesdropping missions can gently caress right off and die.

I guess my personal philosophy for open-world game missions is that they should facilitate fun stuff that can't happen organically during the open-world gameplay. GTAV gets this, GTAIV did not. Assassin's Creed 2 got this. AC1 is kind of an interesting case, in that the open world was designed to facilitate the assassination missions, as opposed to almost all modern games that start with an open world and then come up with missions to populate it. Like, you take the missions out of Far Cry 4, it's still Far Cry 4 and it still works. You take the missions out of AC1, and there isn't a game anymore. Shadow of Mordor is a fantastic leap forward for design in terms of trying to somewhat remove the missions and make most of the "story" be a product of open play, so I fully expect nobody to copy it and keep right on making open worlds for the sake of open worlds where you traipse from mission to mission.
Far Cry 4's mission design is real good. They basically just act as minor variants on the core outpost gameplay. Some of them are really clever. It's way better than Far Cry 3's awful bosses, giant monsters, and rail shooters.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I thought GTA5 was still kind of dumb about doing stupid poo poo like making you follow an invincible car until it got to the arbitrary place where the game decided you would wreck it

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I thought GTA5 was still kind of dumb about doing stupid poo poo like making you follow an invincible car until it got to the arbitrary place where the game decided you would wreck it

lol gta 5 single player

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

GTA 5 would be a good game if it wasn't for the game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

LoonShia posted:

GTA 5 would be a good game if it wasn't for the game.

APB: Reloaded has a great creation system where you can make logos, pimp out your car and even make music that'll play on your radio!

Too bad the game its attached to is balls.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

MindlessHavok posted:

RDR did the best with this. When normally walking/riding a horse, you're slower and faster than them, but you can press a button that will force you to keep pace with them. I loved that.

Goddamn do I want another Red Dead game. I mean I know it won't be as good and all but, I just need my fix man and the last one was so good.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

Goddamn do I want another Red Dead game. I mean I know it won't be as good and all but, I just need my fix man and the last one was so good.

Single player was great, I never really got into the multiplayer but if there's one thing GTA5 online lacks, it's poker.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Far Cry 4's mission design is real good. They basically just act as minor variants on the core outpost gameplay. Some of them are really clever. It's way better than Far Cry 3's awful bosses, giant monsters, and rail shooters.

I still love the city of pain mission. Accidentally packed the M22 (handheld grenade launcher) on it for my first try.

So the first half was a really tense stealth mission, the second half would make Michael Bay tear up.

Only thing I didn't like about Far Cry 4 is they used the "drugged during mission" gimmick a bit too much. Shangri La was a cool enough variation on its own, you didn't need 5-6 other missions all about having you shooting mans while tripping out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I still love the city of pain mission. Accidentally packed the M22 (handheld grenade launcher) on it for my first try.

So the first half was a really tense stealth mission, the second half would make Michael Bay tear up.

Only thing I didn't like about Far Cry 4 is they used the "drugged during mission" gimmick a bit too much. Shangri La was a cool enough variation on its own, you didn't need 5-6 other missions all about having you shooting mans while tripping out.
The side missions are definitely weaker, but I'm glad that when they drug you it's not a 15-minute cutscene.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

MindlessHavok posted:

Not only that, but if there were minor twists and turns in the path you would automatically turn your horse to follow with them. It couldn't do hairpin turns but it was nice to just look around and listen to the NPCs talk.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

im pooping! posted:

Meanwhile, AC:Rogue gets a throwaway character who is neither annoying nor memorable, but ends up getting one of the, if not THE best gameplay in the series. Like AC4 on steroids, and not the kind that makes your nuts shrink.

Sold.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MindlessHavok posted:

The rear end Creed games did this. Or at least Revelations is the last one I remember doing it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Boopts indeed.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wasn't it GTA 4 that did this?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Somewhat related, the amount of times I would trade kills with a dude in Hotline Miami 2 is appalling. The bullets travel too fast to reliably dodge, but not fast enough to shoot a guy before he is able to at least shoot back at you a lot of the time. And then you're both dead. In the last few levels each floor has like fifteen enemies with guns and probably every third attempt at a level would end in a traded kill.

Now that I've finished HM2 I feel comfortable never playing it again until the level builder comes out. Which is too bad because the soundtrack is so loving good and the story isn't a masterpiece but it's compelling enough. The level design just isn't good and doesn't really account for the game's mechanics that well, and that really drags the game down for me. The game is worth playing through once, though, if only because the last level is very, very good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Wasn't it GTA 4 that did this?
When GTA V came out I specifically thought "ugh there will be so much invincible car bullshit but I'm gonna play it anyway" but I was pleasantly surprised. They either dialled it way down or masked it better or distracted me with Los Santos.

Worst example in GTA IV, though, was the mission where you have to chase a train and whack a guy when he gets off, and you fail the mission when you lose the train from sight. It's a train, I think I know where it's going to go.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

all you had to do was follow the train

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

When GTA V came out I specifically thought "ugh there will be so much invincible car bullshit but I'm gonna play it anyway" but I was pleasantly surprised. They either dialled it way down or masked it better or distracted me with Los Santos.

Worst example in GTA IV, though, was the mission where you have to chase a train and whack a guy when he gets off, and you fail the mission when you lose the train from sight. It's a train, I think I know where it's going to go.

just shoot him on the platform.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Alouicious posted:

all you had to do was follow the train

You're killing me.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Good lord Dragon Age Inquisition on X360 looks like a hot mess. Graphical quality usually doesn't bother me in games, and I know it was meant for current gen consoles, but somewhere in scaling things back for last gen they decided to just not put textures on things I guess? Like I just beat the tutorial and they had a cutscene where they roll out a big banner of what I'm guessing was supposed to be the Inquisition logo but all I saw was a mottled orange square of polygons. I'd probably find it hilarious if I wasn't looking forward to playing this.

I guess I should've googled it beforehand because I just turned up this article but drat dude.

They somehow made DA2 look really good in comparison, so there's that.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Any game with a low HP warning sound or visual effect should give you an option to disable it. They are almost universally annoying and a distraction from the gameplay itself. There are a lot of games I have played that either reward you for fighting at low HP or are just hard enough that you'll be there often. The one that made me think of this post though is Kingdom Hearts 2, which I played recently and does both. When fighting regular enemies there are abilities that give you extra EXP for being under half HP, but there's only a narrow margin between activating the ability and activating the warning noise. Meanwhile if you are playing a high difficulty level (Critical mode especially), endgame bosses can knock you to near-death pretty much regardless of your defense. You WILL hear it a lot, unless you have already played the game enough times to be able to completely avoid damage.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I don't mind it if they aren't persistent. Pokemon had an annoying noise for the first 4 generations, and 5th gen turned into its own song which wouldn't be that bad if it weren't worse than the rest of the music. 6th generation finally just had it beep a few times and then the sound proceeded as normal.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RyokoTK posted:

Somewhat related, the amount of times I would trade kills with a dude in Hotline Miami 2 is appalling. The bullets travel too fast to reliably dodge, but not fast enough to shoot a guy before he is able to at least shoot back at you a lot of the time. And then you're both dead. In the last few levels each floor has like fifteen enemies with guns and probably every third attempt at a level would end in a traded kill.

Now that I've finished HM2 I feel comfortable never playing it again until the level builder comes out. Which is too bad because the soundtrack is so loving good and the story isn't a masterpiece but it's compelling enough. The level design just isn't good and doesn't really account for the game's mechanics that well, and that really drags the game down for me. The game is worth playing through once, though, if only because the last level is very, very good.

The best description of HM2's gameplay that I've seen is that it feels like one of those trollish romhacks like Kaizo Mario that's intentionally designed to push the game and player to their limits, only the actual engine just isn't good enough to actually offer that degree of high-precision gameplay without tons of bullshit deaths and frustration.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kazil posted:

Maybe Assassin's Creed just follows the rule of Star Trek Movies.

Only play the even numbered ones.

What's the Asscreed equivalent of galaxy quest?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Bloodcider posted:

Good lord Dragon Age Inquisition on X360 looks like a hot mess. Graphical quality usually doesn't bother me in games, and I know it was meant for current gen consoles, but somewhere in scaling things back for last gen they decided to just not put textures on things I guess? Like I just beat the tutorial and they had a cutscene where they roll out a big banner of what I'm guessing was supposed to be the Inquisition logo but all I saw was a mottled orange square of polygons. I'd probably find it hilarious if I wasn't looking forward to playing this.

I guess I should've googled it beforehand because I just turned up this article but drat dude.

The picture at the end of the article is worth posting for anyone who doesn't care to read it.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Tunicate posted:

Saint's Row 4?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tunicate posted:

The Saboteur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodcider posted:

PS3 version is the same, it is the most low quality port I have ever seen, it is loving UGLY as sin, there's no excuse for this kind of stuff, they are old consoles but cmon put a little effort into it.