Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Any gambling in video games is terrible when save/load is an option. Do developers really expect players to not save scum?

Are you saying that driving to the horse racing parlor really early in GTA San Andreas and putting literally all of your money on the 12-1 odds horse and continually reloading until you win, then doing it again to multiply your money by 144 and thus having more money than you'll ever need for the rest of the game might be considered cheating? Is that what you're saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

In Sleeping Dogs you have missions, and those missions have checkpoints. This is good. However, there are spots on the map where you have to do drug busts, which usually involves fighting a gang of thugs. If you die in these fights, which are usually much harder than fights in missions, instead of being able to quickly and easily restart, you instead go to a hospital and lose a lot of cash. So of course you're going to reload, but then you have to go through the process of getting to the spot again, and pick up the extra boosts from vendors along the way. So what should happen instantly, takes a couple minutes. It's a huge pain in the rear end.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

For me it depends on the genre. First person shooters, or pretty much anything where you have to aim, the mouse is best. RTS or turn based strategy games are also much better with a mouse and keyboard.

But more action based games I will always plug a controller in. When I finally got GTA V on the PC, it was all controller. I play spelunky a lot and it's far better with a controller. Rocket League is drat near unplayable on mouse and keyboard. Heck, I'd say the majority of the little indie games I have play best with a controller.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Farfetch'd, clearly. How can you go wrong with a bird carrying a leek?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

So...weird question. I finally fired up Shadow of the Tomb Raider and noticed I start with all my weapons. Is that because I beat the other 2? I saw a brief message about "since you defeated the previous games..." but missed what it said.

Worried this might drag the game down and make it too easy. Do u just automatically start with all your weapons? I don't have any of the attachments or upgrades.

Also, started a replay of RE7 to prime myself for RE2 remake. I haven't played it in forever but on my second game shouldn't I get a bonus weapon somewhere? My item slots don't show one and I don't want to miss it either.

All unlocked items in RE7 are in the storage chests. So, you don't get them until after the first part of the game. (which makes that first part a real bitch on Madhouse difficulty)

Funny thing, my first playthrough of the game, on normal, the Chainsaw fight was a huge roadblock for me. I simply could not deal with it. Then after another playthrough and learning the value of blocking and patience, and really learning the value of patience in earlier parts of Madhouse, I was able to beat that fight on my 2nd try on Madhouse.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Also Walt Disney didn't want crossovers or characters interacting like things are a production so no Stitch arm wrestling Hercules or watching Cruella De Ville getting tackled by a lion.

Which is too bad. I thought one of the best parts of Kingdom Hearts 1 was when the villains were all working together. But that was like, 1 scene. (Maybe? I think there was one more with Maleficent and Cpt Hook later on)

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

People talking about their D&D game is on the same level as people telling you about their fantasy football team or their bad beat in a poker game.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

When I last played-- 3.08.2015.

First thought: "YES I'm only a few months away."

Second thought: "gently caress I actually want to play now and can't I'm way too close to throw that away."

I just changed my PCs clock to be 5 years in the future and booted the game up. Achievement unlocked.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

make sure you've turned off the auto-steering thing. I think you hit Y at some point while customizing your cart? But you'll have an antenna on the back of your kart if it's enabled to check visually. It's... bad, and fights you away from edges, even if you're trying to take them tight.

Also make sure you're drifting. Even while drifting you can turn into/away to get tighter/wider turns.

Pretty much always be drifting. You gotta drift through like, 95% of turns in Mario Kart 8. Lets you turn much tighter, you can steer while doing it, and you get a speed boost after the drift if it's long enough.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Fall Guys came out yesterday and I played it a whole bunch. It's a ton of fun and a really great concept for a game.

But god drat some of the team games are awful and you can have a run ended due to useless teammates. Sometimes they even make an even split of teams with an odd number of people, so you get situations where it's 5 on 6 or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I think fast travel can be good or bad. If the world is boring, you need it.

But in a game like Red Dead 2, I never fast travel, because the world is just so gorgeous and there's so many little things to discover, or little events that happen, that if you fast travel everywhere, you do quite literally miss out on a huge amount of the game.