Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Biplane posted:

The terrible romances in Bioware games. I bought ME3 for ps3 but I cant play it when my girlfriend is home because its so intensly embarassingly bad. The Bioware writers should be shot.

I have yet to play a videogame where the romantic writing isn't hamfisted, awkward, and embarrasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

scarycave posted:

In Lightning Returns, it appears you can only talk to npcs at certain times. They'll still be there where you can physically see/hit them, they just won't talk to you at all.

I got a quest to get a ball - got said ball, and then couldn't talk to the kid anymore because a few minutes passed and he decided he just wanted to stand there and not talk to me anymore.

Pretty much any jRPG is terrible at quest organization. I have no idea why they think quest markers, or good quest descriptions, or anything like that are so taboo. Look, when I see my quest log and it says "Speak to Tabitha", it'd be really loving helpful if I knew anything about her, when she shows up, where she shows up, and goddamnit.

The limited time aspect of LR doesn't help matters.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Phthisis posted:

I've been running through Lightning Returns the last couple days and this is driving me crazy. I don't know how they expect you to manage time when there's no way of knowing when people will appear or not. I don't like wasting 6 hours taking the train all the way to one area, only to discover the character isn't there, but I have nothing else to do so I just go back.

I've been trying to complete the Adoring Adornments quest for forever now, and every time I go to Yusnaan the girl isn't there. I suppose I could look it up in a guide online, but I don't want to end up at EVE-levels of crazy where I have a spreadsheet with all the available quest times to manage the best route through the areas.

This game is incredibly frustrating for completionists, I think. I only managed to get into it when I realized I was ok with not completing all the quests, and just doing my thing as they come.

The one thing the game has going in this department is that you can NG+ if you run out of time. That's the only thing keeping me sane, knowing that if I gently caress it up I can do that, because yeah I'd go crazy.

Plus, you can fail quests if you don't do them in time, sooo yeah.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

umalt posted:

Look up the etymology of several popular places in the Atlas of True Names and you'll realize that all places have pretty dumb names and it's only language that keeps us from realizing it.

"You know, I like that city back home, what was it called?...York! I like York. This place will be another York. A New York, if you will."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Playing Dungeon Siege III with a friend at the moment. It's...it's not a great game. But there are three problems with it that really make the experience a lot less enjoyable than it could be, three things that don't exactly require a redesign of the game's mechanics.

1) The camera is loving awful. You'd think with two players on separate computers that you'd each get your own camera, but no - you share a camera and must stay within range of each other at all times, even if the other person dies. This leads to deaths. Wouldn't be so bad if the camera angle wasn't zoomed so loving close to your character that you can't see what's more than five meters ahead of you. Also you can't change the pitch, or the zoom, the best you can do is turn it.

2) Lack of checkpoints. You die, you lose all your progress since your last save. This can get really, really loving annoying since save point placement is often poorly done, like a cutscene, conversation, four battles, another conversation, and a boss before you see another checkpoint, hope you don't die and have to do all that poo poo again!

3) No large map. There's a minimap, but god help you if you want to zoom out to get your bearing. Lots of getting lost, lots of consulting online guides because when they say "Go to Stonebridge" there is literally no goddamn way to know where that is. Oh, and quest markers only appear when they are close on the minimap, there's no arrow or anything pointing you in their direction.

We're having fun with the dialogue and the combat, but gently caress, the game has some serious usability problems that should've been caught. We'd blame it on being a port from the consoles (the camera issue, especially), but this is still simple poo poo that could've been fixed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Have you heard about Jayne Kessinder yet? I've heard that Jayne is a real bad woman, did you know Jayne destroyed the old Legion? She's a bad woman that Jayne Kessinder!

Get used to hearing that name through out Dungeon Siege 3!

Every time we hear her name, my friend and I just repeat it in the most booming sound possible.

JEYNE KASSYNDER
JEYNE KASSYNDER

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Paper Diamonds posted:

Also Sleeping Dogs is a terrible game and I only could stand about 30 minutes of it before I turned it off for good. GTA 4 and 5 are leaps and bounds better in every way. HtH

Haha! Good troll, man!

*thumbs up*

What I will say about Sleeping Dogs is that the cops spawn way too goddamn frequently, and too close to your position (often you'll just see them pop up on your radar, not drive in). Was really annoying to think you're in the clear but then whoops two cops spawn around the corner.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Mario and Luigi Dream Team, you don't need to have ugly 3D graphics to replace the nice graphics of the earlier installments just because you're a 3DS.

Yeah, those new graphics were quite disappointing. I enjoyed the thick-lined cartoony style of the previous games much more.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

F.O.E.
F!O!E!

Mini-bosses like that are a staple of the Etrian Odyssey series. In those games they exist to keep you on your toes, challenge you to defeat them through skill... or to just come back at a later time when the odds are more equal.

In Etrian Odyssey, though, FOEs aren't meant to be encountered at all until you're a few floors beyond. They're simply a mobile puzzle that you have to avoid - some are pretty simple, some involve planning. Then you come back to murder them, get their bits, and get some good equipment/money off of them.

Sounds like the enemies in LR are just random encounters that are an impossible pain in the rear end.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Resident Evil 4: Maybe it's just because I read Dark Id's LP of it, but I can't help but notice that the architecture of Salazar's castle seems to be 95% hallways and foyers, with the actual functions of the building spread ridiculously thin, and it's kind of annoying. That and the cannon pointed at the castle's own gate. :psyduck:

Resident Evil has never been a series to feature logical architecture.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is literally the explanation Dark Souls players give me for why the game is so poorly documented.

Yeah, except there's a difference between "Oh man, did you check the secret wall behind which is a cool boss if you flick the switch?" and "Does anybody have any loving clue how these covenants work?" *everybody shakes their head and shrugs*

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm playing Skyrim right now, and obviously there's just a huge host of problems with the game, everything from the terrible UI, the bad attempt at rebinding controls, stilted dialogue, unbalanced skill system, etc. But what really bugs me, and what shouldn't be allowed to be in any game, is when enemies cry out stuff like "Mercy!" as they get hit to the crowd, and start feebly crawling away. Because they're going to stand up and keep attacking you. So when someone says "No! Please, not like this, not like this!" and starts cowering in fear, I'm forced to either wait for them to attack or just murder the cowering figure in front of me, which makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat. Have them flee or something, not just immediately get up and start attacking again.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

AngryRobotsInc posted:

They changed something about Wander's grip in the HD port of Shadow of the Colossus, so now when a Colossus even thinks about moving, he flops around entirely too much and entirely too long. It is REALLY annoying. Especially since certain ones, like the third Colossus, start thrashing around almost nonstop when you get over their weakpoint(s).

From what I've heard, it has something to do with them porting a different version of the game for the HD release - I think it was the European(?) version, which was much tougher with stuff like that. I may be mistaken, and am entirely too lazy to look it up at the moment, but I remember thinking the same thing you did. They didn't change anything, it's just a different version than the one NA audiences are used to.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

This is not really a fault with the games, but there are some sequences in the Kingdom Hearts where you're flying around big open areas during boss fights that I can't loving stand. Not because of controls or anything, I think it might be some sort of mild agoraphobia I have or something like that. The fights with Chernobog, Ursula, and that boss at the end of KH2 where you're fighting him on a platform in some swirling nebula that you need to fly to...I don't know, but every time I get knocked off that thing, something inside me twitches as I see this huge open space. The Ursual and Chernobog fights less so, but it still makes me a little nervous.

Weird though, I play space games like Freelancer, the X series, etc perfectly fine.

Oh! Except there's one level in Homeworld where you're in a ship graveyard, and you see a huge loving thing in the distance that looks like the remains of a dyson sphere or something. Also makes me feel a little weird.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Alhazred posted:

I experienced that during the fight with the last colossus in Shadow of the Colossus. At a point in the fight I took a look down and realized that holy gently caress that's a long way down.

For some reason, the only game that's ever done that for me with regard to heights has been Saboteur. Nothing else. No idea why.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

One thing that always bugs me about games is when people market them by saying stuff like "It's got x km in it! That's x times the size of <recently-released-large-open-world-game>!"

Doesn't matter how big a world is if it has a ton of open space with nothing in it. Heck, did you know that Daggerfall is still by and large the largest landmass ever in a video game?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

scarycave posted:

This is pretty much what Xenoblade didn't do that allowed them to cram so much poo poo into a game on the Wii of all consoles.

edit:
Graphic quality has always been a competition among consoles and games and the like. Games today want to be playable live-action films these days, and maybe that was the goal along or something idk. All I know is that games start to lose visual identity after awhile, most human characters in games all look like they could be from the same game.

Except that Xenoblade somehow ended up having some of the best graphics on the Wii, with a remarkable draw distance to boot. No idea what the developers needed to do to pull as much power from that as they did.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Finally getting around to playing Nanashi no Game, and man is the control scheme complete rear end. And you walk slooooow. Great atmosphere, and the cursed game parts manage to actually be pretty unsettling even with NES style graphics, but I don't know if I can put up with the granny with a walker level speed you move at.

I remember watching an LP of this game, and even with the player speeding up the walking parts of the video, it felt pretty drat slow. I imagine it's to heighten tension when you're being chased, but it just feels incredibly artificial.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

The game that did this best, I think, was Dragon's Dogma. Its world had a lot of flaws, sure (fixed spawns for the interesting enemies and zero level scaling, for example) but nothing compares to the first time you spent too long outside of the city, when it got REALLY REALLY loving DARK and there are wolves and zombies running around and there's nothing you can do but survive until dawn. And your lamp oil is running dry. :getin:

I started walking towards that tower in the north east (I think) at about noon - it started getting really dark just as I hit the canyon, and there was no point in heading back. Christ that was a long night filled with attacks. That game does it so well though.

That, and STALKER: SoC with the Oblivion Lost mod.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I've been playing AC2:Brotherhood and I just noticed by reading timestamps on emails in the real world with Desmond that he and the crew have been spending about a month in the villa, going through Ezio's memories. Definitely doesn't feel that long, that's for sure. At least the first game had you get out of the Animus from time to time to remind you that time is passing in the real world.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Walton Simons posted:

This is more of a 'little thing' but Ezio's voice noticably deepens throughout. Talk to the architect at the villa near the end of the game to hear the difference as Ezio's 'buongiorno' is only recorded in his early voice.

This is super noticeable in Brotherhood, where you have flashback memories to before Ezio became an assassin, right after he became an assassin, and something like 2 years afterwards. His voice is noticeably different in all of them, especially the pre-assassin years.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Speaking of weird fidgety NPCs, my friend bought some weird anime game called Time and Eternity some time ago, and brought it over, since we tend to play weird games and laugh at them. The game's pretty bad, and anime as gently caress in many creepy ways. But the way the NPCs move in cutscenes is so jarring - they have transitions between poses, but only certain poses, so often to go from pose A to pose B, they'll need to move through pose C first, which looks...weird. Especially when they do it rapidly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M2VyhT8lo4&t=371s

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Aug 26, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Skyrim is the game that really cemented into me the idea that Bethesda can't do anything except presentation right.

Sure, the game looks pretty as gently caress, and wandering around the game world and seeing all this cool poo poo, and the thought of being a mage and blowing up dragons or whatever is awesome.

But then you actually play - then you find out the combat is bad, the magic is worse, the stealth is ridiculous, quests are poorly designed, the game is buggy as hell, dialogue is stilted, and few of the hundreds of dungeons are worth the time.

But it looks pretty (after mods) and has been hyped up for years, 10/10.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It's really just another word for mercenary, or freelancer. But it sounds more ~*~heroic~*~

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Tunicate posted:

I love how the cafeteria has windows that clearly show an outdoor area, and nobody ever comments on it.

Actually I think they say that its just some interior garden or something? Its been a while since I've read the LP but I seem to remember something of the sort.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Been playing Destiny later. Bungie has no idea how to run a plot, it seems. Who're the Fallen? Are they the Darkness? What about the Hive, are they the Darkness too, or someone else? Why are they attacking us? Is it because of the Traveler? Has anything been done to study it? Contact them? Where did the Hive come from?

Nothing is explained. And it's not like, not-explained like Half-Life 2 where the clues are in the environment and such. Simply nothing is explained, except brief excerpts like how the Hive took the Moon. Game mechanics, too. How do I level up stuff? Why do sometimes multiple things level up? What levels up next? What are these factions and why is the only way to check my reputation with them by hunting down the merchant in town and talking to them?

Also, Grimoire points. No idea what they do. Every now and then, a notification will come up saying to check Bungie.net after I collect enough doodads, or kill enough enemies, which is a ridiculous thing to put in a game when you can just have the information, oh I don't know, in the game itself.

Destiny has good shooty bits, but everything else in the game drags it down.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah, but in Destiny, you actual control a cursor on the screen with the analog stick. It's literally designed for a pointer device like a mouse.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Same. It's goddamn impossible.

Y'all ate crazy, I could do that walljump when I was seven years old. It did require far too much precision in your ting, and was a pain to do, but it wasn't super hard, just annoying.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I like the stupid alien stuff in Assassin's Creed games. I don't even give a poo poo about Ezio and his myriad of lovely problems, and am finding it really hard to play Revelations for that reason. I just want more nutso ancient alien conspiracies. V:shobon:V

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Esroc posted:

I don't doubt many of you will agree with me, but I feel first person only belongs in shooters. A swords and sorcery style game needs a solid third person camera and combat system and I personally feel that every first person game with swordplay has failed miserably at it. And every Elder Scrolls game has the third person view tacked on almost as an afterthought. I prefer to play Skyrim in third person with mod assistance to make it more bearable, but while playing it all I can think about is how mind-blowingly awesome an Elder Scrolls game would be with something similar to a Dark Souls third person camera and combat system.

Counterpoint: Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is loving great and has a fun combat system, unlike Skyrim.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I do. I also liked Desmond, and the aliens stuff. gently caress you for being among the vocal assholes who kept me from getting a full game of him.

What up, Desmond-liking-buddy. I don't give a poo poo about Ezio, or Altair, or Connor, or Jimbo or Francois or whatever, all their stories are the same and frankly their events are foregone conclusions. I want to see all the aliens stuff and the apocalyptic plans and what the gently caress is going to happen oh man, especially when it means getting to see more of the not-quite-future world and stuff.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

LoonShia posted:

Nothing is true

peperony and chease

Corrected that for you.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

What bugged the poo poo out of me in Star Control 2 is the time limit. Well, it's not an explicit time limit, but basically if you take too long doing your poo poo, one of the evil races in the galaxy that is embroiled in a huge loving war with the other evil race will win the war and go on a mission of purging the rest of the galaxy. This will eventually result in the destruction of places like Earth, which is kind of important to you for stuff like, well, everything - crew, upgrades, ship bits, etc. So if you take to long in this really large sandbox game, you essentially lose.

There are some things you can do to extend this limit (basically crippling one side and helping the other).

I'm pretty sure it's a long time limit, but I like just going to places for the hell of it, looking around, grabbing resources, and not being harried by the thought that if I don't hurry up, I'm hosed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I don't like the constant recommendations to go stealth/pistols on a first playthrough of AP. It's not awful to go with any other combination, and I feel like that recommendation takes away a lot of the agency that you have to go other routes to see other playthroughs, especially given how it breaks much of the combat of the game. I went through with assault rifles and did just fine on my first playthrough on hard difficulty, just like any other cover shooter (through Brayko was a bit of a pain in the rear end). As long as you don't go SMGs, you're fine.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Dead Space 3's unlockables system is a pain in the rear end. You can't get 100% in the game if you are only playing single player because there are lots and lots of collectibles in the co-op missions and areas, which can only be accessed if you are, y'know, playing co-op. Therefore there are several info logs, many many weapon parts and upgrade circuits, and 6 completion bonus outfits that you can't ever get by yourself! The maximum you can get in only single player is like 85% which also locks you out of four or five story/completion progress achievements!

As a self-professed achievement/trophy whore (though I've gotten better recently), this would drive me nuts.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I think a big of element of what I didn't like about DS2 was the introduction of other healing items besides the estus flasks. I loved those flasks - they made the game feel part survival horror, as you walked further and further away from your bonfire, the Estus flasks became your only light, and represented a burning candle that wore down as you took damage and had to consume your very, very limited supply of them. They were your only lifeline, and reaching the next bonfire to get them back was paramount.

In DS2 it's just 'lol I have a hundred herbslifegems om nom nom full health bitches'.

Also in Darks1 you couldn't use healing items in another person's world - this made you reliant on them to provide healing with their own flask, with was a cool symbiosis as you took hits for them and they healed you.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Nov 3, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

You can block this attack completely and it will leave you in perfect position to counter with the boomerang.

Block? I mean, yeah, you could be a giant wuss and block.

Blocking in a Warriors game, lookit this guy.

If you're not wielding a Defenseless weapon then you're not a real Hyrule Warrior.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Shadows of the damned is just so incredibly average in gameplay. Weird sense of humor and I like the art design but the entire game is just a 5 out of 10 and it feels like nothing new has come up since like the first 30 minutes.

I played it three times because I wanted a platinum (cause I'm a dummy) and the difficulty trophies don't stack. That's ridiculous on its own, but what really made it a pain was the fact that you couldn't skip any of the cutscenes. I just ended up playing on my DS when they were going.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

ShootaBoy posted:

and the fact that the nice drawn art is now generic indie pixel poo poo, I'm not sure if I want to play any more of it.

I don't understand how people say this. The art is the exact same. The only thing that's really changed is the paintbrush, not the design itself.

Edit: Radically different art!

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Nov 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

In all honesty the art style works much better with vectors.

Oh I agree, I personally prefer the hand-drawn look more than the pixel stuff, but it's not something that'd turn me off from the game or anything. Some people are getting really annoyed at it for some reason. Fun fact, the creator of the game prefers the pixel style.