Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Intelligence provides resistance to everything, strength gives a raw armor value, dexterity provides dodge chance, entirely RNG based if it ever decides to proc(it usually doesn't.)

Now the Monk can deal with it, he has a natural 30% damage resistance because he's a melee fighter, the demon hunter, the other dex based class does not, the DH is a zippy character, very agile, you're meant to use their agility to just not get hit, problem is the game is littered with unavoidable damage, and on top of that the main thing you'd use to avoid damage requires a slow charging resource, regardless of your skill level, you are going to eat a hit eventually for possibly half your health, the DH just cannot take a hit, and this is just taking raw armor values in mind, enemy affixes and stage lay-out have a lot to do which how often you'll get or die.

It doesn't help that the DH has no defensive passives to speak unlike every other class, the wizard alone has like 3 I think.

Demon Hunters have an incredible damage mitigation tool, it's called Vault and it's almost entirely i-frames. You're intended to use the talent that gives you resource on a critical hit combined with the frankly disgusting number of critical hits you get at endgame to basically never run out, and even if you do, the amount that is needed to use Vault is so vanishingly small that it's basically 0.

I'm sorry that you've apparently played 300 hours and not managed to figure that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Wildstar's dire rear end optimization.

Anyone who points out the fact that their computer can run any other AAA game at reasonable settings with a stable frame rate is immediately shat on by hordes of screeching weirdos who all claim that everyone should just buy better computers.

In the latest patch, as in like 4 hours ago, they patched in 'support' for multi-core CPUs, by which they mean 'making the game tell the CPU to just use one core instead of just letting it use none of them'.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

The worst thing, the worst loving thing about loving Dishonored, is that there's no in-mission stats screen, so God loving help you if you're trying to ghost a stage.

You have to keep one manual save per five minutes at minimum, and if at the end of your hour+ long loving ordeal the game tells you that someone spotted you at some point, well, gently caress you, bitch. Why not take an educated guess at which part of the level you hosed up because Dishonored isn't going to tell you poo poo.

You load back to where you think is the most likely place that you hosed up and replay the entirety of the rest of the level, again, in full, to completion. Still spotted?

Guess what FUCKFACE, your completely context-free assumption of where you hosed up was WRONG, and now you get to play the rest of the level again, from the next earliest checkpoint that you might have ostensibly hosed up in the solid hour you were originally playing this game.

There are achievements for this. Achievements! Someone played through this loving game, and decided that at no point being able to access your mission stats during gameplay was not only not an oversight, but actively loving desirable, and just smiled and nodded it through QA.

That same person later went back to their empty apartment, laid a large blue tarpaulin on the living room carpet, and paid handsomely for a Japanese prostitute to poo poo in their mouth.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I just grabbed Anachronox in the latest Humble Bundle after hearing good things about it, and the control scheme is, uh... unique.

Also there's no option to increase mouse sensitivity so you end up slowly rotating the camera and accidentally clipping your mouse out of the 4:3 window.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Have you patched your copy of DSII?

In the release version, the casters were way more obnoxious. Still, just grab a crossbow, go into first person and pop in and out of cover, firing a couple of shots at a time.

Once you get to the bonfire before the boss you can technically run past everything with a couple of dodge rolls.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Been replaying Uncharted 3 and while everything up to it is pretty great, the ship graveyard section is such a loving drag. It's the point where you really start to fatigue out on the combat in the game, especially with how it starts punishing you for using melee.

Plus, the miniboss battle with the armored suit and the RPGs in the storm is just tedious because if you make a small mistake with kiting the enemies around, too bad, 1-hit killed.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Valdis Story in one of the current Humble Bundles is a great metroidvania, except for the fact that there's a merchant about an hour in who sells an item, and if you buy it, it summons a superboss early and prevents you from going to the area that lets you upgrade your poo poo.

There is exactly zero indication that this item does this, and there is no way to bypass it. You just have to fight this loving boss whether you like it or not. Your fault for buying things from the shop, motherfucker

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

SourceElement posted:

At the start of the game, after you arrive at the first town, you're told to go right. What the game doesn't tell you is that if you go left instead, and backtrack to where you fought the first boss, you get the opportunity to fight a late-game boss.

To be fair, the Yeti doesn't despawn from there until you kill the boss in the Sewers, and by that point you have an item that you know opens doors in that area that you couldn't get to before, so standard Metroidvania autism assumes that you would go back and try to unlock that stuff, forcing you into combat with that boss.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I rented Neverdead because I remembered hearing about the concept and thinking it sounded pretty cool.

I learned there's a reason nobody remembers Neverdead.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

I remember Neverdead. It is absolutely abysmal. I don't know how far you are but it mechanically gets worse and worse. It is like a gaping chasm of terrible design decisions and it's only when you've fallen to where you think you're at the bottom that it turns out to be half-way.

I just beat the long, boring and uninspired boss that has weak points you need to to access, but the game hints are vague enough, and the game buggy enough, that you accidentally score a hit and then spend 20 minutes running around confused, trying desperately to replicate what you did before, like some kind of cargo cult tribe member, then you get sick of being exploded into a pile of limbs and rolling your head over to your torso only to find that the hitbox won't let you connect so you have to blast your way to the other side of the room and try again to avoid the vacuum cleaner game-over spineballs, then getting tired of this so you go to look it up on gamefaqs but the game is so dire that no-one has ever even written a gamefaqs guide, leaving you to go to some shady-rear end GameCheats site and find the inane forums postings of some weirdo who actually enjoyed this shitshow and try to decipher what the hell they meant when they typed out this vague and typo-ridden mess of an internet comment, then go back and figure out the gimmick by yourself, which in hindsight was obvious, but only in one of those 'it's really obvious, all you have to do is do the thing that's really easy when you have prior knowledge' kind of way, then get to the second phase, which involves you hurling a piece of your body across the room and hoping that the boss AI RNG decides that today's your lucky day to do the one attack that lets the weak point appear and you can knock out maybe 1/5 of its hit points and do this whole loving debacle over again.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I'm way behind the times and just started playing Saint's Row 3, and I'm not sure I'm really on board with the whole thing of using Activities as story missions. As in, a mobile phone call, followed by driving to the mission marker and the game just launching you into an activity you've already had a story mission tutorial on.

On the one hand I get that GTA clone story missions are usually pretty bland, and I appreciate the honesty. But on the other hand, devs, come the gently caress on, guys.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Krinkle posted:

Is this DLC or something? I don't remember that. I don't remember that at all.

No, it's the base game, it's just that Bioshock Infinite is wholly unremarkable and completely forgettable trash that quickly turns into a hodgepodge blur of lovely gameplay and a lingering memory of dumb quantum crap and Elizabeth's tits.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

It annoys me a little when games painstakingly introduce you to a gameplay element and then it never shows up again.

For example, in Metro 2033, you spend a whole level being introduced to ghosts and anomalies, and then you leave thinking "okay cool, I'm excited to see how these will play out on the battlefield, making things more exciting" and then they just never show up again, for the entire rest of the game.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

If you're not shovelling candy bars down your augmented maw as fast as metahumanly possible it's not the True Deus Ex Experience

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

On the topic of quick movement shooters and secrets, I don't mind being rewarded for exploring the environment, but some of the ones in Painkiller were... I'd say 'obtuse', but that's almost too kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2m44aF5vAc

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Alteisen posted:

FF11 came out 13 years ago, even playing casually everyday, those hours are within the realm of possibility.

Uh, that's more than 8 hours a day, every single day, for 13 years. I'd hope that's not your idea of "casual".

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

F.E.A.R. weapons best weapons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKNfCCWY3PA

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I got a game called Odallus in one of the more recent humble bundles. It's one of those super-retro Ghost & Goblins / Castlevania style side scrollers, including a bunch of that "old school difficulty".

I don't mind being challenged but the third level is frankly horseshit. It's like they crammed every lovely aspect into a single stage:

Water level – check
Autoscroller – check
Underwater sections where you drown in 5 seconds – check
Platforms where you're pushed around by water currents – check

Again, most of it's not so bad (except that autoscroller, has anyone ever enjoyed an autoscroller?) except for the boss, which is a "snake guy pops out of four holes on the corner of the screen and navigates around a central platform" enemy. Think the water area boss from Metroid Fusion, etc. etc.

Anyway, not only is there current on the platforms, the hitboxes in the game are so wonky that half the time you'll bang your head on the roof instead of grabbing the platform, or you won't grab it at all, or you'll miss and the hitbox of the boss will hit you from miles away and you've got no other recourse than hop through the sprite and hope your i-frames hold out.

If it's a system mastery test, it's a bad one, and the best part is that the games has a lives system, so if you game over on the boss, guess who gets to navigate the giant lovely water level (and autoscroller) again!

It's you, the player. You get to do it.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda a crosspost, since I bitched about this in the Skylines thread: another thing that (by design) bothers me about the city-building genre is that there inevitably comes a point where mass transit comes into its own as a mandatory thing, and I can't recall a game in the genre that has reduced the pain of adding that to your existing city.

It's like, okay, you now have the ability to put down (6/8) types of things, which you'll probably need a bunch of them to deal with the traffic that is clogging your city. If we're being really nice, we'll give you a tool to get a macro-level view of where the virtual beings in this down are generally starting from and where they are going. But maybe we're not going to be that nice, so at best we'll give you something that lets you know that people are just kinda randomly faffing about. Oh, and all the new stuff doesn't just slot in to your existing network of roads and buildings, no, it takes up space. So your options are generally rework everything, or settle for a chunk of your city that has terrible traffic because it was plopped down before there were this path or this system came around.

I'm getting resigned to the fact that the only real Simcity game I genuinely love to play is Societies. It got rid of both excel sheets of traffic and economy, and actually just lets you design cities.

This is exactly what happens with mass transit in the real world, so...

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

eh, the martial classes felt wrong, same as the magical ones. Martial classes don't have to be under-powered though, look at the 5e monk

"Ah, yes, paragon of martial power, the 5e monk." I murmer wisely, rolling one of the classes with the absolute worst character options in the game, while at the same time brutally flagellating my own dick and balls with a chainlink dicebag.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Leal posted:

I think this stockholm "fun tax" is the same stuff people say to defend the lootboxes in EA's Battlefront 2. "If you could just GET vader with no effort you wont appreciate it, and its instant gratification. If you had to depend on RNG from lootboxes or grind 40 hours without buying any other single item in the game you'll actually feel REAL gratification for unlocking Darth Vader!"

The gently caress out of here with gratification talk.

It doesn't even make sense with the "well you're right around the corner" defense. Why not just cut the supposed few, inconsequential, minutes and restart right at the boss fight? So is it supposed to give real gratification for the toils and troubles you make on your adventure back to the boss or is it just a simple 1 2 sprint to the door and avoiding everything that it may as well have no effect at all?

I'm late on replying to this but the gratification people are talking about isn't based on arbitrary luck or grinding, it's based on skill and what you've learned through the course of play.

At any point you can restart a Souls game from scratch and do demonstratably better than you had done on your previous run. It's not a matter of memorisation, or dumb mindless grinding. Each second you play the game, due to the nature of it, makes you more intrisically aware of the world around you and the way that your character interacts with that world. You learn that the enemies in the starter zone that you used to cower from telegraph their attacks like crazy, and that you can now dodge them 100% of the time. You learn that your dodge gives you just so in terms in invulnerability, so now you can use that to read those attacks.

To say it's like loot boxes or grinding is disingenous. The beauty of a souls game is that at any point, I can load up a souls game on a completely new save file, and absolutely crush it first time. It's not because I grinded out achievement-locked loot boxes, it's because I observed and internalised the systems I'm interacting with. It's not even a memory thing – it's more like an artificial empathy that's imparted through carefully staged instruction.

You could start at the boss fight again over and over, but it defeats the purpose of the design. If a game forces you to restart from a boss checkpoint over and over, it's telling you that you have everything you need on hand to overcome that obstacle. If a game forced you to restart endlessly against a boss you could never defeat, that's inherently bad design and you would be up in arms. The run back to the fight in a souls game isn't about wasting your time, it's about giving you an opportunity to realise that you're not locked into a single approach and that you can learn from your failures. More importantly, it's telling you that you have an opportunity to correct your mistakes.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Actually, while I'm ranting about game design in the dragging down thread, I really hate "puzzle" bosses that haven't been thought through.

90% of the time I feel like this is due to crunch, or a lack of external testing, but what you end up with is a seeming invincible enemy that you need to do something completely arbitrary to in order to trigger the transition to a damage state. Usually, this is made way too obvious with dialogue, or cutscenes showing exactly what you need to shoot/hit/pull, but sometimes the devs seem to get so caught up huffing their own farts that they don't realise that the intended solution is completely loving incomprehensible to anyone who wasn't programming hitboxes at 3 in the morning a week before launch.

The other night, I was playing Warframe (an otherwise great first-person space Diablo with double jumps and sweet guns) when I loaded into a map with a boss. The boss spawned, and was completely invincible. There were no other context clues for me, or the other player who was in my instance. The mission text mentioned that he used a hammer, but the model wasn't being used. His health bar was greyed out, like a story NPC. We had halfway given up and assumed it was bugged until I googled it and found out you were supposed to shoot tiny coolant tubes attached to his backpack, which apparently made him vulnerable. How the devs assumed anyone would come across this in situ I have no loving idea, beyond just shooting this guy a lot from a bunch of different angles.

It just highlights the importance of context actions and making the player feel smart. You probably don't need a cutscene that spins 360 around an enemy and highlights their glowing weak spot, but on the other hand, it's not hard to introduce an element and then deliberately build on the contexts that the player encounters it, until they have a seemingly unrelated reason to "use" it to their advantage.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I'm way behind the times, but Mad Max was on sale on Steam this weekend and I've been chewing through it since I'm at home sick.

I wish I knew what the thought process was around the minefield objectives, because I 100% don't understand why they're in the game. You have to totally break the flow of the game (which is otherwise really fluid and dynamic, hopping between looting and objectives) to swap your car, drive back out to where you were, and play chocobo hot and cold around an empty field, except the determination of how 'hot' you're getting is the same dog yelping sound loop played on repeat.

I'm having a tonne of fun with the game otherwise but these sections are just so loving off the mark, it's crazy.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I've been playing Dying Light a lot since I got it on sale, and one of the things that bugs me is that the DLC expansion, The Following, is actually DLC and not a standalone. As in, it uses your character from the main game, including all of their inventory and previously unlocked skills.

It adds some new crafting stuff, sure, but if you had played the base game enough (as in, done most of the side quests), you're basically an obnoxiously rich armor-plated zombie shredding murder golem at this point, with enough healing items to tranquilize 50 horses.

It would have been cool if the DLC was a standalone/restart that let you rebuild your way up based on your now rock-solid system mastery of how the game works (and if they were really clever, that would be an intended curve to make the player feel like they're outsmarting the game). Instead it just feels like you're going through the motions with your pockets stuffed with war crimes. At least the scenery looks great, though.

This actually reminds me of the worst thing about the first game, which is changing a game about fluid movement and clowning people with dropkicks from rooftops into a depressingly stock-standard first person shooter where you trade headshots in tiny cramped corridors with endless same-y goons. I'm not sure what they thinking with that one but it absolutely did not land.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I only played 5 minutes of Binding of Isaac before forgetting about it and eventually deleting it. Apparently it's got a remake and 5 expansions. Is it really cracked up to be good? Since its brand of dead-baby humour seems really dated.

It suffers from that same hardcore crowd power/difficulty creep, and as I understand it the expansions get progressively worse.

I would either just get core Rebirth, or if you're after the experience and you're not too invested in playing it to death, get the original edition and the Wrath of the Lamb DLC, but don't turn the DLC on until you're comfortably winning normal games (i.e. 10 or so wins under your belt).

Edit: I never actually answered the question – it's got some dated humour but the core gameplay is solid, and as a twinstick playing on m+kb, I actually enjoyed it a lot more than Gungeon.

Brain In A Jar has a new favorite as of 08:48 on Sep 4, 2018

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Just play Warframe.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I've been playing Baba is You and as much as I like the mechanics and the way everything in the world can be manipulated in a way that makes logical sense, I'm a big dumb idiot and the game makes me feel bad until it very occasionally makes me feel good, and I think this might be how BDSM relationships start .

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Mooncrash fuckin owns. I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble with the Moonshark because it is blind and relies on sound, so if you just don't walk on the sand it will never pop up to fight you.

edit: You should be making as much use as you can of the glide, including the double-tap to boost forward a little bit. Always ALWAYS start with the Artax Booster on your characters once you unlock the blueprint, otherwise make it a priority to go and find one when you start a new round. Never ever touch the ground in areas where the Moonshark is hanging out and it will make a lot of noise but generally not pop out unless it's right on top of you. If the Moonshark DOES notice you, just... yknow, run away from it. You're on a time limit what with the corruption meter etc, but it's not that strict that you can't play Mooncrash like it's Prey every now and then.

This reminds me that I tried to play Prey on a console and gave up within 2 hours. I think I'm physically incapable of playing an Arkane game without a keyboard and mouse.

The sheer amount of poo poo that you're expected to be quick and on the ball about (not just shooting, but other environmental interactions) is intolerable with joysticks, and I just feel like I'm playing as a lumbering idiot with nerve damage instead of the savvy hero. It was the exact same thing with Dishonored, and apparently I didn't learn my lesson.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Tunicate posted:

reminds me of the old game Amulets and Armor, where the head bob was a compromise between an extremely short and an extremely tall developer, which meant there were sections of the game where you could sequence break by hitting them at the right point of your walk cycle and being short enough to clip through map geometry

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

having no knowledge of the game, I am genuinely pleased by how insane this reads without context and will not be investigating further

You absolutely should because it's a wonderful journey into the minds of some of the first people to try and make D&D into a 2.5D shooter full of elf murder and jerk-wizards.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I was looking for something to chill out and play on the PS4 on the couch, so I swung over to the sales section and found some JRPGs in the digital bargain bin, and thought – perfect, this is something I can drink some beers and play, and enjoy some relaxing time hitting buttons while I go on a quest to kill capitalism, organised religion, God, or all of the above. I bought Sword Art Online Re: Hollowed Fragment for $5.

This was a mistake.

Turns out the game is nigh-incomprehensible if you haven't watched the show, the main character as it turns out has a weird harem of anime girls who are all super into you, including a child who calls you 'Daddy' (and it's unclear whether she is your actual biological daughter or not), the combat and level design are all atrocious and impenetrable – turns out this was a Vita game that got 'remastered' – and on top of this it has a bizarre dating simulator minigame in which you are asked a series of questions and have to respond with basically a yes or no answer. The big issue with this (beyond it being just generally weird and creepy) is that all of the questions are localised into absolutely batfuck nonsense English. In a desperate attempt to figure out what the game wanted from me, I restarted a conversation three times to figure out whether I'm supposed to be curt or enthusiastic when a person tells me that they love hotdogs. (Spoiler: The answer appears to be 'curt', or just to wait. If you, like any sane human being, answer enthusiastically, the character reprimands you because apparently they weren't finished talking about hotdogs.

I would like my $5 back.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Nostradingus posted:

The procedurally generated bike game Descenders:

The music is the worst I've ever heard. They're trying to do the sports game trope of having a "soundtrack" on the menu, but as an indie game they obviously can't afford to license real music. So it's just the same five tracks of this weird, terrible EDM looping forever.

I'm kind of surprised about this because I thought that they did pretty well with their soundtrack considering the budget. One thing I noticed is that specific playlists seem to be tied to each area, so if you're bumming around the starting map for ages (or constantly failing the career mode) you're likely to hear repeats.

What you can do is use the button that manually skips tracks to move ahead to something else.

Things dragging this game down, though: changing the radio track in Descenders counts as letting go of the accelerator (a track achievement)

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

As much as Sunset Overdrive talks up the amps, they're actually really anemic and the selection throughout the game is disappointingly thin.

I actually thought I was missing something, but I checked a wiki and nope, there's really that few and half of them are just "tier 2" versions of the starting ones. It's a real shame, honestly, because everything else about the game is quite fun once you get the hang of it.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

sinburger posted:

I love the golf clapping and "amazing display" commentary from the crowd when the guy does impressive stuff like *checks notes* "walking around a guy" and "jumping a fence".

I'm sure there some special speed running feat he pulled off that I can't see, but it's still hilarious.

:thejoke:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I picked up Tales of Berseria because it was dirt cheap in the steam sale, and looked like a good time-killer. The last Tales game I played was Symphonia on the gamecube when I was a teenager, and maybe I had more tolerance for it then, but all the maps are just tedious copy-pasted corridors decorated with random drops that sell for pennies.

The only saving grace when it comes to traversing these things is magical cat clumps, a currency that you can spend increasing numbers of to open up chests you find that give you fun cosmetic items to play with. Also the combat is pretty fun and mindless I guess.

I can't fully explain why but picking these things up triggers something primal in my brain, like grabbing pellets in pac-man, but if they weren't there the experience would be absolutely miserable.

I have no idea how you're intended to play this if you didn't care about ~*~fashion~*~ but traversing these maps must be absolutely soul-crushing. And the less we talk about the mastery system and how it compels you to grind random encounters, the better.

(Bonus little thing: I immediately dressed my pirate guy to look like Albert Wesker, and everyone wears sunglasses everywhere, all the time)

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Taeke posted:

Yeah, I love DnD and RPGs and stuff so I was excited about pathfinder, and the tutorial adventure was fun gave me high hopes.

Then I got to the caves with the swarm enemies and couldn't do anything to progress. I looked the solution up online and it basically told me to either have the right spells and get lucky, or buy a shitton of flasks from the merchant and pray you brought enough. Even then, no matter how many you bought, if the rolls weren't in your favor you could still be hosed.

I didn't have the right spells and had thought that 10 of those flasks might be useful when I saw them at the shop, but apparently that wasn't nearly enough.

Swarms in 3.5 were already absolutely horrendous bullshit where they occupied the square you were standing in, and received reduced damage unless you hit them with a spell or an impromptu AOE built out of rolling a horseshit throwing roll with directional modifiers (1d8 determines where your bottle goes!), and if you were lucky that was auto-igniting alchemist fire. If you threw oil, then congratulations, you also get roll to light the oil on fire.

This was at the peak of caster supremacy and non-casters playing a miserable game of 'mother may I?' with the DM, and I would not be surprised in the slightest if Pathfinder took these rules and made them more punishing to non-caster players under the guise of "verisimilitude" (aka I, a physically incompetent nerd, can't throw a object to hit a target, so naturally any human or supernatural being at peak physical performance should also struggle with this physical task).

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Afriscipio posted:

Obduction was free on Epic last week. It's a puzzler/walking sim from the makers of Myst, which tells you most of what you need to know about what type of game it is. My peeve is that it does not respect the player's time at all. Some of the puzzles are very clever, and once you figure out how to solve them, you feel clever too. But, executing the solution takes way longer than it should and one of the major puzzling elements requires a loading screen with every step. Some of the later puzzles require 10 - 15 of these steps to complete, not including walking between the puzzle pieces with a lower than necessary running speed.

I finished Tales of Berseria the other day and it does exactly this (without the benefit of you feeling clever) in two dungeons – one as part of the main story quest, and the other a post-game megadungeon. You have to turn candles on or off depending on what the door wants to be open, and this is indicated on the door's model. The candles are spread out all over a bunch of self-contained maps and you have to run slowly and avoid respawning battles between them.

This is all well and good, except that for 25-odd hours of gameplay before this, there has never been any actual meaning to what objects in the environment look like. Like, yes, there's doors and chests and frobbable doohickeys but they were functionally scenery. You could replace them with stock photos or a grey box and it wouldn't change the gameplay of running through a series of corridors with transitions between them.

I ended up just googling how to solve them and I feel absolutely no shame in it, but anyone's more than welcome to tell me that I'm an idiot.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I picked up Hyper Light Drifter since it's on sale and the chain dash move can eat and savour my entire rear end.

The timing is incredibly tight to pull it off, and worse than that it scales up in terms of timing, getting increasingly faster, so to activate it you need to press the dash button again at something like 0.7s, then 0.5s, and only then does it become a continuous rhythm.

This feels like absolute poo poo to do on a controller, and in my experience only works like 33% of the time.

I was having so much trouble with it that I ended up googling out of frustration and there's dozens of reddit posts of people complaining about this dogshit mechanic and getting nothing but walls of 'git gud' in return, so now I know how people who didn't click with Dark Souls feel I guess.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

thecluckmeme posted:

I keep trying out Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night because I know I should end up liking it, I'm a huge metroidvania fan in general, but I loving hate the movement in this game. Maybe this is just a trend that I've grown to forget from older games, but the number of times I've been knocked off of a screen is starting to really get to me. It'd be one thing if I was just dodging and weaving past enemies until I can find a suitable weapon that lets me actually clear out rooms, but I just got knocked into a one-way pit/through a door for the third time by an off-screen enemy interrupting my jump. I just want to explore the drat castle! Why does every bat spawn need to be some meticulously crafted gotcha that knocks me off-screen or into other enemies that loving body me, why can't it just be a drat bat? :(

I hated the run cycle/speed that makes you feel soooooo slooooooow. Eventually your brain gets used to it, and then they give you an item drop that increases your movement speed, so thanks for that I guess.

Also both of the underwater movement skills are miserable to use.

I haven't had too much trouble with being knocked off screen (except for the living fossils in the desert and that was a pleasant "oh gently caress" surprise). On the other hand, the cooking aspect drives me up the loving wall, especially when you figure out the complex series of ingredients you need to buy from 2 screens away to take back to the NPC in the next room (and god forbid you forget what you need because NPCs dump plot exposition when you finish talking to them) only to find that one step in the chain is a drop from an enemy in the middle of buttfuck nowhere that you have to go farm if you want stat-up items or to progress a quest.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Wong/Onslaught/Mystique is the current broken horse poo poo. Had a guy actually break the game a bit with them yesterday

This screenshot is absolutely inscrutable. "There is a turn 7 this game" - statement dreamed up by the utterly Deranged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I’m playing NEO: The World Ends with You on PS5 (since it was on the game pass equivalent), and I keep getting annoying controller drift. I thought this might have been my controller getting worn but it doesn’t happen in any other game, and I’m convinced it’s a game bug caused by it accidentally storing the controller position when you load a new map or cutscene.

This isn’t really a fun or interesting post I just mainly wanted to see if this happened to anyone else and if so how you fixed it