Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I played FC 5 right up to just before the final big fight and just stopped.
So in my version of that world, the cult is reduced to one tiny enclave, and the normal people are busily rebuilding their communities. I'm making my own happy ending dammit.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I will never be lectured by the british about pronouncing Hs

H or "aitch"?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

During the pandemic, I got back into playing games regularly after a 10 year+ hiatus, so I had a lot of stuff to catch up on.
I was really looking forward to Alien: Isolation. The reviews were great, the screenshots I saw looked amazing, and the whole sneak around, avoid combat as much as possible thing really suits the way I like to approach games.

But even putting the pacing issues and endless backtracking aside, the design of the Sebastopol as a coherent, interconnected space is just terrible. I felt lost 90% of the time, no-where felt realistically connected to anywhere else. Even within a fairly small area, the placement of the doorways linking one room to another felt arbitrary and meaningless.

It was a real pity, because the visual design and audio aesthetic evoked the 'feel' of 'Alien' perfectly.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I finished it, but I was irritated for at least the last 6 hours, it was like a spite-completion.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Taeke posted:

Now that I think about it, it happens to me a lot that I play a survival game like subnautica and go full immersion for a while and it's really fun to figure out a food supply and stuff. Then once that's settled it becomes a chore that gets in the way of what I actually want to do, so I get bored/annoyed and put the game down for a while. Then I get the hankering again a couple or months later and start all over again only to realize oh yeah, survival is fun for a bit at the start but sucks later, so I restart with those things turned off and actually finish the game.

This is me right now - I really, really wished they had included the option to switch off the survival stuff without restarting the playthrough. :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's funny, I found the station layout in Prey extremely memorable (apart from the guts), but Alien Isolation's layout felt absolutely shapeless to me.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

A thing I didn't realise until after a couple of Prey playthroughs, is that the typhon power Mindjack works on the typhon as well as on humans.
Getting into a huge messy firefight and mindjacking the biggest typhon causes absolute havoc and can be very entertaining.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Fifty Farts posted:

"Aye, it's done!" has stayed in my brain for 20 years because of that game.

And there it is. I could hear his voice, but the specific phrase kept slipping away from me.
I played NWN and all the expansions so so much. I remember the combination of joy and horror in Hordes of the Underdark, when I found the chest containing all my stuff that had been stolen at the start. Stuff that was the buildup of multiple play-throughs, stuff I'd been hoarding for years in case I might need it. I'd built up an entirely new shitload of stuff, and now I had to integrate and sort all my old stuff as well.

Dump it? I'm sorry, those words have no meaning for me.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Presto posted:

The ending of Far Cry 5 is so bad I swore off the series entirely. It made me physically angry.

I refused to deal with that ending, so I played the game until the cult was reduced to a single building and stopped playing. In my Far Cry 5 world, everyone in the region is rebuilding society and the cult is irrelevant.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bossy lady posted:

When far cry 5 ended I thought I did something to get a bad ending. I couldn't believe that's how they decided to let that story play out.

Pookah posted:

I refused to deal with that ending, so I played the game until the cult was reduced to a single building and stopped playing. In my Far Cry 5 world, everyone in the region is rebuilding society and the cult is irrelevant.

:colbert:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Randalor posted:

Isn't that the basis of New Dawn though?

New Dawn is just alt-history to me, a fun "what if?" thought exercise.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was extremely surprised to learn that Pagan Min has the same voice actor as Last of Us's Joel. Troy Baker has a ridiculously flexible voice.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Divinity: Original Sin has a cool search mechanic where you can hold down (I think) the loot button and it'll create a search radius that will automatically select every searchable object within range.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Crowetron posted:

BG3 has this exact same function.

Well I learned something today

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

In the first Kotor, there's an bit where you have to put on a deep-sea divers suit and walk around in the deep ocean, which should mean slow, ponderous movement. I assume the playtesters pointed out this was very boring to actually do, so instead the walk animation is sped up to a fairly hilarious degree and you just high-speed trundle around the place.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Strom Cuzewon posted:

In KotOR one they very much did not, it was slow and awful and tedious.

KotOR 2 they hit the fast-forward button.

:doh: I was wondering why I couldn't find any videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFSS55n36e4
Kotor 2 spacewalk is probably what I was vaguely remembering

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Alhazred posted:

Thing that's dragging Skyrim down: That there have to be a plot. I'm having much more fun with loving around with the different factions in the different cities than following the main plot.

I have spent an embarrassing amount of time playing Skyrim on ps3 and then ps4, and I don't think I've ever completed the main Dragon or Civil War plotlines.
Compared to all the sidequests and DLC, they just seem so... bleh.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Hygiene posted:

Back in the first Bioshock, what idiot put jump on the top controller face button? That's almost the worst button it could be! I've already healed multiple times by accident because that's where jump should normally be, and it's doubly bad because it's even more awkward to use with the stupid Switch joycon layout. :arghfist::saddumb:

It's the same in console Skyrim. It's doubly annoying because it seems to be almost impossible to jump while sprinting, like the two button presses can't be processed at the same time.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

JackSplater posted:

You actually can't sprintjump in vanilla Skyrim on any version! It's literally not allowed, because if you could sprint and jump, you wouldn't need to Whirlwind Sprint across gaps in dungeons! They only make the gaps the length of the level 1 shout, because that's the only one you're guaranteed to get playing the main story, and sprintjumping (with a mod that enables it) covers about the same distance.

Are you serious? That is such backwards and lazy design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Necrothatcher posted:

Band Hero not only plays its climactic song American Pie with the credits running right over the top of the note chart:

But it's got some insane censorship where the word "whiskey" is removed, ruining one of the most famous choruses of all time.

Wild, I used to work in that office, everyone listed there is an old colleague :) .