Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Morpheus posted:

I have yet to play a videogame where the romantic writing isn't hamfisted, awkward, and embarrasing.

Saints Row 4. Possibly Uncharted as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

vainman posted:

Spec Ops on MW2 with my roommate was the most fun I've ever had in any video game ever. MW3 hosed it up terribly by making the levels so long and difficult that we gave up after a week.

I miss games that you could play side by side on the couch.

XBLA and PSN have a whole ton of co-op games.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

bossy lady posted:

I'm pretty sick of pipe dream games as hacking in video games. It's so hackneyed and nothing like actual hacking. I can understand something like this when the hacking minigames are just an afterthought but it's especially lousy that they decided to do this with watch dogs since the game is about hackers / hacking.

Also the stupid deadmaus clone near the end of the game. I rolled my eyes so hard at that whole sequence.

Outside of Bioshock, what games actually used Pipe Dream as a hacking game?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Moacher posted:

It's not so much the brutality of these that get to me, but rather the length of the animation. To have to sit through the entire thing every time (2 or 3 times per fight)gets super tedious, especially since any shock value quickly wears off after the first few times you see it.

No you don't. Most players with a clue just juggle the crap out of you with ex move combos that also take forever and are used more often than X-Rays.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Talking about Watch Dogs reminded me of one of those terrible things that seems to be creeping into more and more games, the "Heavy Armor" enemy type. Basically any game that has semi realistic combat where a headshot takes a guy down instantly ends up introducing a guy who is nothing but a bullet sink.

You end up wondering why you don't just take that guy's armor since it seems to make him nearly invincible.

What? Those guys died from an exploding fuse box and a goddamned baton, as well as IED's make short work off all of them that aren't the Iraq enforcer. That's some pussy-rear end armor. Also I think 90% of heavies can have coms disrupted, giving you time to throw explosives at them.

The worst are the guys with no obvious weaknesses to exploit other than sheer power (Batman games) or running through hoops to kill them via environmental kills only.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

One of the first tutorial messages is also a massive :siren: KILLING PEOPLE WILL LEAD TO A BAD ENDING :siren: pop-up. Coupled with the lack of consistency mentioned earlier and yeah, it comes across as a cheap morality system. The High Chaos ending is more thematically appropriate, but it feels kind of sour that the game tries to pretend there's any significant moral depth.

Only killing fucktons of people or with witnesses. If you kill and hide the bodies it's easy to get low chaos.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Really hard to do that on a narrow path with a big hulking police van.

I understand it's hard to slow down, move in a direction, and then press x/square and towards the car in question twice, but don't blame the police van. The only real issue with outrunning/outramming/using shortcuts to elude the cops is that it's drat near impossible without wrecking your pristine and awesome ride.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

I will move then, thanks! So far the only weapons in R&C I got were the wrench and the flamethrower but I heard about the insane stuff they put in that area. Before playing Jak 2 I thought the only misstep for Naughty Dog was the first Uncharted.

Good thing Uncharted 1 was awesome with some flaws then rather than a real misstep.

Edit: meant uncharted 1. It's a solid game with some issues like grenades and the need to use sixaxis a little too much, but is still a blast.

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Jul 13, 2014

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Well you're only hosed out of exp if you keep playing that particular mission, and you'd have to play it a lot, it was done to prevent farming short heists.

The point is, something that dumb shouldn't exist in the first place, if someone wants to play a bank heist 100 times in a row, let them.

Wait, they don't just drop the xp? They also stop you from being to play the level at all after a certain point?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Really any game that aggressively markets its DLC in-game is awful. Sleeping Dogs having every pause screen and menu have a big animated ad for their DLC with a button to buy them was tacky as hell.

But that's not in-game? That's the pause menu as opposed to a big message over the mini-map or something that is actually intrusive.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Replaying Saints Row IV, and holy poo poo is the escape from Zinyak's ship mission the most annoying thing.

Hit a wall, you die. Restart, listen to the unskippable dialogue again. Listen to the song again. Hit another wall.

Also, what reason is there for the WASD controls also flying the ship but not being inverted? Either have the option to not use inverted mouse controls or don't let WASD control the ship! Having both and no option to uninvert the mouse is so frustrating!

E: well gently caress. There is an option. I just never found it.

Ee: double gently caress. Uninvert mouse inverts WASD.

Eee: triple gently caress. Turns out the trouble i was having is a known big with certain graphics settings making your ship go more slowly than it should. :wtc:

Using an xbox controller removes all of these problems, since it was designed for a controller in mind.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I have the Missing Link DLC, I've only played an hour or so but it seemed fine tbh. Anything in particular bad about? That's great news about the DC Edition though.

People get mad that the augments you have been abusing the whole game aren't available and are forced to play differently. I personally loved the missing link.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Anatharon posted:

I think it'd have done some good to show a little more of the downside of augs instead of just making people look like luddites for opposing them. I mean there's some reasons but they're hidden.

:raise:

Gunther and Navvare are looked at suspiciously and with terror because they are inhuman looking monstrosities from Jensen's time period.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Suitaru posted:

Look carefully at the name of the poster he's quoting

Oh. :ohdear:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Canemacar posted:

Been doing another playthrough of Arkham Origins and it's a perfect candidate for this thread. There's a really good game in there somewhere, but there's just so much wrong that it becomes a struggle to play. Warner Brothers Montreal were handed an awesome formula from Rocksteady, and almost every part they tried to "fix" stands out from the parts that actually work.

But by far the biggest issue was the combat. If you don't know, Rocksteady apparently made a pact with some dark god, selling the souls of their interns in exchange for one of the most fluid combat systems I've ever seen in a game. It manages to be fast-paced and exciting like any good super-hero fight, but the whole time you're *biff*ing and *pow*ing bad guys, the game teaches you to plan out your next couple moves based on enemy placement, enemy type, what gadgets you've got, what level your combo meter is, and what mixture of moves will give you the highest score. In that way it makes you really feel like Batman. You're kicking all kinds of rear end, but you've also planned everything out and you're thinking rings around everyone you fight.

I don't know why WB Montreal didn't just ctrl+c, ctrl+v the code from Arkham City. I guess they thought they could do it one better. They were wrong. The main issue is that they buffed enemy aggression and speed while slowing Batman's attack speed and removing the ability to cancel into a counter while also decreasing the window of time to actually pull off a counter. The idea was to make button mashing more punishing and force you to pace yourself better. In practice, it amounts to just mashing counter or evade after every attack, because by the time Batman has finished punching one guy, two more have run up and are in mid-swing. It kills any momentum fights have and limits your ability to plan too far since you're always on the defensive. Also, one of the new gadgets, a concussion grenade, actively impairs you whenever you use it. It causes everyone in the blast radius to start swinging wildly which fucks you over when you get randomly punched in the back of the head mid-combo.

most of this is a non-issue if you are using your gadgets properly. Explosive gel and concussion grenades will debilitate large numbers of goon, allowing you to focus on a handful at a time while constantly moving to a better position to engage.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I was just talking about having one male and one female player character voice, not 30 actors. :confused:

It still costs a lot and limits what responses and possible mannerisms a protagonist can use, more so then when the silent protagonist responds to voiced characters. I would assume this is one of the main reasons for keeping the protagonist silent throughout development.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Szurumbur posted:

Once in a while I'll get an urge to replay Okami, especially in its gorgeous HD incarnation, but then I remember about the unskippable cutscenes and tutorials and decide not to. Supposedly you can skip them on a NG+, but I'd have to finish the game in order to have such a save.

Also the Ultimate Blockhead - I envy those who defeated him without cheating and making a photo or something, even using such a method I had a hard time.

You could always just download a save and just rock out NG+

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Arkham Asylum and City operate in the same way the censored dubs of Dragonball Z did, even if you get hurled into space, or blown into a billion pieces, you are only knocked out, or sent to another dimension, but never killed!

Being paralyzed from the neck down is not dead.... just worse than death.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

mitochondritom posted:

Playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is immensely irritating because you have a selection of 9 different characters to party with, but you can only ever have two of them with you (this is also a problem that plagues every Bioware game post Baldurs Gate II). In this game your main character is a Jedi, meaning you mainly focus on force powers and lightsabers, leaving you to pretty much have to choose Mission or a the R2 guy as one of the slots so that they can disarm traps, unlock boxes and hack computers. Effectively you then have one slot to fill. I have played the game a few times and literally never used Juhani, Carth or Zallbaar because they are not quite as interesting as other characters. I am glad larger party isometric style RPGs are making a small comeback.

If you are a scout this isn't really an issue since Taris gives you a lot of time to build up lockpicking and poo poo.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Lotish posted:

That's how I felt about it when I played. Like, just stabbing the inquisitor is too easy. Branding him turns his life into a nightmare which is much more fun.

Pretty much. I'm not as big of a fan of the expanded non-lethal tool set coming in Dishonored 2, but I would love if the non-lethal methods are still as horrific as they were in the first game. It added a new level of hosed up normally reserved for doing what jesus would do option, making it an awesome change of pace.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Daktar posted:

Did the choke dust in Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches knock guards out, or was it just a distraction?

I want to say it was a distraction since they would be coughing and hacking their heads off.

EmmyOk posted:

Stuff for DS2 has been released? I hope they have not made non-lethal runs too easy

Nothing as far as I know. I just liked that the non-lethal playthrough meant having a much more limited tool set making the game more challenging and slightly less fun (combat system was good) but totally worth an attempt due to how it changes your approach to the missions. I fear that expanding the non-lethal routes would take some of that away by making it trivial to approach missions the exact same way, just using different weapons that mostly have the same function except one makes a guy "sleep" instead of explode.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

U.T. Raptor posted:

Soul Calibur 3's Chronicles of the Sword mode was pretty much the best thing the franchise had ever produced :colbert:

Speaking of Soul Calibur, it bothers me that Lost Swords has you playing as regular Soul Calibur characters instead of CAWs, which would fit the storytelling better. Just have unlocking a character unlock the "Soul of X" for your character instead, and pretty much nothing else would have to change.

As awesome as it would be to give Asteroth the people's elbow, why would you want Create A Wrestlers in Soul Calibur?

Actually scratch that, There totally needs to be Create A Wrestler's in Soul Calibur if I can have Jake "The Snake" Roberts take on Lizardman!

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Feb 4, 2015

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon was terrible about this too. There was plenty of humor in the game without layering a bunch of forced ironic "Haha aren't arbitrary collectibles and unskippable tutorials so bad? Now sit through this unskippable tutorial and collect 20 VHS tapes :razz:" commentary.

The tutorial was funny, and you are right it does suck after the first time, but why would you collect tapes if you didn't wan to? How does having something being optional drag a game down?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm so glad I read what the 'reward' for 100 feather is Assassin's Creed 2 was ahead of time. I think I would've been mad about video games if they surprised me with that one. You really have to evaluate what type of player you are after learning that, I think.

If you don't know You get the "Auditore" cape, which, when worn, just makes the guards in Florence always be on high alert for you, and that's it.

The cape makes it so the guards basically ignore you doing anything short of killing people or punching other guards in the face.

Your mom also speaks to you for the first time in 20 years. Those magic feathers can cure PTSD!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

This is such a petty complaint but I just started MGS4 and I'm really bad at it because they changed the controls which had been used since MGS1. I've played through all the games back to back so I'm used to the lovely old controls and these new ones don't make sense to me. They've changed a lot of the mechanics too, so I have lost my bearings.

you've never played a 3rd person shooter in the last 12 years? That's why those controls were changed the way they were. And how do they not make sense if you've played peace walker since you went through all the games already?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Okay so I just started Shadows of Mordor, can someone tell me if I just have bad luck or is it normal to run into about 600000 named captains when you're trying to kill just one. I just want to loving kill this one dude and suddenly Aroth the eye crusher, Tibart the Bone cruncher, Zizak the Face Smasher, Alpoc the Soul Stealer and 40 others suddenly show up.

Not to mention the hundreds of little guys who just swarm you. Good lord this game doesn't gently caress around.

Its both, and it depends on location. If you are near a stronghold or something, then the chances of fighting several captains shoots way up. Some captains also have a trait where they just show up when you are fighting another captain. Sometimes the game just mocks you and throws a bunch of captains in your direction.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

When GTA V came out I specifically thought "ugh there will be so much invincible car bullshit but I'm gonna play it anyway" but I was pleasantly surprised. They either dialled it way down or masked it better or distracted me with Los Santos.

Worst example in GTA IV, though, was the mission where you have to chase a train and whack a guy when he gets off, and you fail the mission when you lose the train from sight. It's a train, I think I know where it's going to go.

just shoot him on the platform.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've been playing Sleeping Dogs, and the single most annoying thing about it was the stretch of highway from North Point to Central, where the construction work is. There's only a single lane and it's always clogged and all the barrels and barriers slow you right the gently caress down. I'd give it major bonus points for realism if it wasn't the one stretch of road you'll reliably go down like a hundred times because you go from North Point to Central so drat much.

Taxi to the nearest parking garage in north point or central to fast travel to one of your fancy cars. Problem solved.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm impressed that they made the batman beyond skin worse than in Arkham City

You are impressed they hosed up perfection? The AC suit was perfect except that Bruce Wayne isn't a scrawny 17 year old boy wearing it in game.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

bewilderment posted:

Witcher 3 on PS4 plays great, runs great, all around a great game.
Except some of even the most babby enemies (Drowners, for example) can wreck you if you're not paying attention. This by itself isn't a problem... except that the load times are absolute rear end if you're reloading a save.
It's not PS2 or PS3-era five minute load times to load a big level, but I somehow wish the designers were wizards able to compress the loading time a bit better - I personally wouldn't mind if the game did the standard "pop in the textures on a load a few seconds later" but I guess they didn't want that, or it didn't fit in with the way they built the game.

It's a lot faster on PC, which is what CD Projekt Red primarily designs for. I don't know if the console ports were in house but apparently they squeeze a lot out of the limited hardware, so who knows if that's as fast as load times can be. I've heard nothing but good things about the ports otherwise.

I love the game, but I hate crafting poo poo and the new alchemy system sucks compared to Witcher 2. I just want to kill poo poo and make poor decisions with lovely consequences.

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Jul 30, 2015

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

These two statements don't really line up because the new alchemy system is way less effort than the old one since you only ever have to make a potion/bomb/oil one time before you have a technically infinite supply, and you don't have to sit down and wait through a super slow animation anytime you want to use a potion. The crafting system is more or less unchanged minus the ability to dismantle things, but alchemy-related stuff was really streamlined.

I preferred the old system as it really hammered being prepared for combat and understanding what you are going to fight.The new system allows you to just drink poo poo during combat if it goes south fast(which in this game it can and will). Realizing it could just take some Swallow in combat with a noonwraith, allowing me to overpower it despite my fuckups was strange. Not a bad mechanic or anything, just something I'm not as big a fan of as I probably should be.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Alteisen posted:

That's hilarious dickish, especially when you consider that GTA V has sold like 50 million copies and the company still wants more money.

The gently caress? ALL COMPANIES IN ALL EXISTENCE WANT MORE MONEY! It's kind of why they exist in the first place. Plus GTAV on PC is less than 6 months old, so why would it have a major price drop at this point? Had the PC version been released at the same time as the next gen versions, then yeah it would definitely be lovely since Rockstar products constantly drop in price for various sales both on console and PC, but it takes at least a year for this to happen.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Dragon Age: Origins had them, although it's been so long since I played that game that I don't remember the specific details of the system.

Bethesda's RPGs do random encounters for an open world game pretty right, although it's quite a different system to JRPG random encounter systems.

Dragon Age only did "random" encounters when you activated a certain part of a quest, then traveled beyond either your camp or whatever map you were on, only to get stopped by something.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

"its extremely illegal to say corporate greed is mildly inconvenient to you in the Say Things Are Bad thread on a comedy internet forum" - cool guy 2k15

common loving sense has nothing to do with how lovely game mechanics are to a player.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

just skip it

Basically this. If you do have a PS3, it's worth playing since it has the second best gameplay in the series after V (albeit not as much as the other games comparatively). but if you don't have a PS3 its sure as hell not worth buying one for it or jumping through hoops to play it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Alteisen posted:

You're free to not use them, but Quiet and D-dog in MGSV is are REALLY loving powerful, they absolutely trivialize the game, D-dog basically grants you wallhacks and distract everyone letting you stun or murder them at your leisure, and quiet just annihilates bases like it was nothing, even if you get spotted she can pop the person that spotted you before anything happens.

Poor D-horse just can't compare. :smith:

Can Quiet defecate on my fallen foes? Since pooping on your enemies is goddamned amazing, D-Horse is loving awesome.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

DStecks posted:

Not sure if it belongs in this thread, but I just started watching Chip and Ironicus's LP of MGS 3 (want to actually know what the gently caress is going on in PP), and for some reason British guy is telling Snake about having to hunt for food after establishing that the mission has a hard four-hour time limit. Couldn't he have just eaten a sandwich before jumping out of the plane? You'd think that would do him for the at-most four hours he's allotted to complete the mission.

Its a tutorial to get you used to the kill animals and eat them raw to gain their power mechanic. He does the same thing on the main mission after the virtuous mission. Plus if you are actually playing the game you can completely and totally skip it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

The more I play Mad Max, the saltier I get. It started as a 10/10 and has ground its way down to, like, a 8 or something (it's still a really good game but :argh: incoming anyway)

I complained earlier that the Harpoon was overpowered, since it can oneshot most enemies when you get it. Soon, enemy vehicles get armored... which is when you get the Thunderpoon, a lock-on rocket launcher that can two-shot armored vehicles, and when fully upgraded one-shots everything except one boss (so far). Vehicle combat is completely trivial now, which saddens me because it was pretty great until I unlocked the TP. Non-TP weapons are too weak (ram/grind/burners) to just ignore the TP completely, especially since it's point-click-dead enemy.

Ground combat is fantastic, though, even though I can open each brawl with 4-6 instantly dead enemies for cheap, at least it feels like I earned the ability to do that by virtue of punching the hell out of several hundred nerds to get there. Plus it's still ammo-limited, unlike the TP which can clear 14 vehicles off the road before you head to base and refill for free (3-5 consecutive battles).

There are a few things that feel like they're there to just waste time. Anything jimmy-bar related, or when balloons need fuel/winch shenanigans in particular. Minesweeping with the dog. Loot locations give 5-10 scrap per node, dead vehicles give 10-16, late-game upgrades cost 1800+. Cleared camps, however, give 740/time (hour?) without need for upkeep, completely paying for everything and making meticulous 100%ing feel unrewarding.

Now I'm close to 100%ing this game and I'm sure I'm gonna hate it at the end. Like, 7.5/10 bad :mad:

7.5/10 isn't bad by any non-retarded metric.

That being said, this game does still seem awesome and I'm totally gonna get it sometime after finishing Phantom Pain, but thanks for putting it in realistic terms.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tiggum posted:

The tutorial in Injustice: Gods Among Us is awful. It tells you to do stuff like press X, X, Y, down, forward + X, and I swear I did exactly that at least a dozen times without it registering or giving me any indication of what I was doing wrong.

Injustice and Mortal Kombat (9 and X mostly) require you to input the sequence as quickly as you can for cancel combos like that, which is different from most games where you input the second command after the first one connects. Its different, and you are right, it's not explained well, but it works for the kind of game Injustice is.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

kazil posted:

Yeah, they build the Crones to be some impossible menace that would assuredly destroy Geralt, but never really show the Crones to actually have that kind of power.

Ciri defeats all three because she is way more powerful than Geralt, granted. But if you do the bad ending and Geralt goes back to finish the last one, she's not exceptionally difficult at all

The Crones were afraid of the giant elf dude boss who killed Vesemir and you deal with him without special Ciri powers. So they just aren't as powerful as people had been led to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

The dubstep gun in Saints Row 4 is supposed to be a pretty late game weapon, so it's okay that it's really powerful.

I think preordering gave it right away though.

No the hype for how awesome it was made it available rather quickly into the plot. To be fair, it is the best gun ever so I can't blame them for caving in and giving it too us early. The mission where you "first" acquire the gun is still in the game untouched though, which makes it kind of jarring.