Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
After force speed, the force push is the best power since all spreadshot, missles, and grenades can be flung away from you in addition to using it to throw people off of ledges and escape force chokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Higsian posted:

Do you want an auction house specifically or would a way to craft/buy/whatever lowest quality/"imitation" items that can complete your build but don't take away from actual drops fit the bill? Cause the AH always seemed like a bad idea to me for anyone not specifically wanting to play the auction house.

Why did the auction house die? Was it because of abuse of the horrible real money idea? Player complaints? They didn't want to gently caress with it at all when the (superior) console releases came out?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

None of this is mentioned in the game so you get one set of conquering rapists against an army of raping conquerors,

That sounds pretty close to any real war in history.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

thecluckmeme posted:

Batman's a series where (in its modern version) it is built on striking out with one main character with literally every other character, good or bad, serving as some kind of foil to the personality and obsessions of crazy man in a bat suit. The Joker's just one facet of a heavily multi-faceted roster of people which serve to refine a single character, and it sucks poo poo that the only major character-analysis angle we have in the Batman games is "crazy vs not crazy, law vs order" instead of exploring Batman's role as a father despite growing up without his parents, or being a man of wealth and privilege vs the poor who were forced into crime, his family's history subverting organized crime families, or his need to match wits with other super geniuses and tackle their opposite ethics while fighting a battle of the mind.

I could go a decade without reading the phrase "you're just like me, Bats!" and enjoy Batman just as much, probably more tbh but all the main plots just end up revolving around a dickhead with one of the shallowest oppositions to Batman's personality possible

That's probably because in video games, exploring those would suck. However, Batman is a fictional comic and litterary character, who could have those interesting aspects explored to a much greater degree in those mediums (and has in the case of rich man vs. poor people).

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I found Reaver rather hilarious in Fable 3. Of course it makes little sense the son/daughter of the Fable 2 Protagonist would have Reaver as one of their top advisers, not least of all because Reaver also nearly killed them for pure sadistic sport.

I honestly liked Fable 3 more than most people it seems. I'd have to say the main thing dragging it down for me was the ending and the lack of clothing options. Fable 2 had so many character design choices and I loved it.

The total lack of the emotion wheel from Fable 2 was the greatest sin of Fable 3. Fable 2 had co-op pants making GBS threads if you both used the emotion wheel and failed the fart emote and it was hilarious, in Fable 3 you can only use like one or two emotes with a person at a time and its nowhere near as fun. Still,I did enjoy Fable 3 but 1 is still my favorite.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Len posted:

Gears of war is all I can think of and it was a massive fuckoff explodey arrow.

Maybe Turok 1 on the N64. Farcry 4 had a bow with cool incendiary and explosive arrows, making it the most versatile weapon in the game.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

If you're playing Arkham City you can just use the Multi Takedown that KOs everyone knocked down, it's grossly OP and can pretty effectively clear any room of mooks and give you time to do the beatdown stuff.

He's playing Arkham Origins from the talk about accents. But Dodging like a madman is excellent if you are feeling crowded and don't quite have the feel for the combat system yet.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

I was about to say this as well, most of the bonuses are either minimal to the point of just being little novelty boosts, or you have poo poo like the NZ biker gang outfit that bumps up your melee damage by like a big ole rear end 40% and then you're slaughtering dudes too easily. Better to just dress to your mood for how you wanna kung fu assholes moment to moment.

AHAHAHA look at this guy who doesn't rock the drunken master costume all the time. Its the best costume in the game since when you get face/super meter you go all Jackie Chan on fools. Like it literally changes all of your attack animations to drunken boxing while face is active.

Its the only essential dlc next to the story ones.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

Is there any way to play the Drakengard games on current consoles/PCs or do I have to like track down old PS2 games?

ps2 emulation has been a thing for a while.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

To be fair it's hard to simulate "slightly buzzed" or "eh, a little tipsy".

GTA does after a bit of being shitfaced. your controls return to normal but things are a bit "off" for a minute or so. Also, the Yakuza series.

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:56 on May 12, 2017

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

You know, everyone makes fun of Nathan Drake for having the bodycount of a war criminal but no one ever makes fun of him for being incapable of going to the corner store to get a gallon of milk without falling off of whatever he's walking on, losing grip on the thing he grabbed to break his fall, and then hitting the ground hard which had to have resulted in three cracked ribs.

Uncharted 4 tried to ground the series by introducing mundane life stuff, but I'd love to see Drake trying to deliver a package to the post office only to end with a running towards the screen setpiece as he's being chased down by a mailman's truck.

I loved Uncharted 4 but the thing that drags it down for me is the Epilogue since it kind of kneecaps most ideas for a sequel, since Golden Abyss showed that other studios can handle the franchise, and Uncharted without Drake is kind of wrong since the franchise is built around the interactions between him and his crew.

Also, in Injustice 2 as far as I know, there is no way to buy individual pieces or select pieces of gear, even for real money. I still want some Nightwing gear for Robin, but the poo poo never drops.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gitro posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Order is an avant-garde ARG about trying to get a videogame called Wolfenstein: The New Order to actually loving work. Fun activities include updating your GPU drivers, finding out which menu options cause the game to crash, many hours of googling in vain hope of finding a solution and a fun console command minigame.

Wow, was that part of the update? Because I just had to download a massive update since the disc version is a loving joke, and it was straight to Nazi killing goodness.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

The only instance I've seen of love and romantic sex done tastefully in games is Wolfenstein.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is like a distant second.

There's probably some CRPGS or adventure games that have done it better but I wouldn't know.

They had a classic and tasteful love tale of two people who fell in love after finding out their inner sociopathic need to kill some Nazis, also having a weird relationship seeing as how she cared for him for like 5 years when he was comatose.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Assassins Creed 3 was so bad in every single way. Getting answers instead of more questions and mysteries, way too long a prologue, poo poo main character, incredibly poo poo setting, with the most inane and stupid main quests in any game yet. "Hey dude follow this dude ride around on a loving horse for half an hour! Throw crates off a ship! Go see the villains in close proximity for the twelfth time but leave them alive! Free Forts for a rebellion that doesn't exist yet! Run around boring and bad shanty-towns!"

I really liked Assassins Creed 3, but none of this is too exaggerated to be true. Game is a mess, but a fun one.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

The main problem I had with AC3 was not actually Connor - I didn't mind him as much as many and liked his final scene with Charles Lee, but my problem was with the Naval missions, because they are completely optional - but two of the portrait targets die in those missions as they are Naval bosses - because I didn't do those missions, when Connor had finished his crusade I saw him taking the pictures down and couldn't help but think "Wait a minute... who were those two and when did they die?"

Im still pissed they killed off Desmond rather than make him more interesting. I liked his bond to the present a lot more than the random Abstergo crap of the last few games.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

OutOfPrint posted:

To TNO's credit, the only weird tonal disconnect I got was from BJ himself. It was weird playing this brick shithouse of an American soldier who looks like John Cena with a thicker neck blasting my way through hundreds of nazis and their assorted robots when he just sounds so sad all the time. It worked well in the camp level, and his burst of joy playing Buffalo Gals on guitar was fantastic, but I really wish the VO and vocal director gave the character a little more emotional range.

"world is hosed. Better kill more Nazis"

Seems like more than enough emotional range for a game involving killing the poo poo out of Nazi robots.

This is a sequel to 03's Return to Castle Wolfenstein and 09's Wolfenstein so BJ has been killing the poo poo out of Nazi's for years before going into a coma, and when he wakes up it's all he has left in the world.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Rampant Dwickery posted:

The moment I realized you could quicksave/quickload in TNC was the moment it stopped being an unreasonable slog for me (but in all seriousness, fuuuuuuuuck the stealth section after exiting the express train).

I can't think of a single forced stealth section in the game. You can just go hog wild as long as you use cover and move as often as you can safely. Always use heavy weapons or the laser/dieselkraftwerk to take out the regular robot soldiers ASAP and then focus on normal dudes.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Do one mission from each gang, cycling between them. Everything escalates at the same time and the whole city is ripped apart by gang war. :black101:

This. It also leaves questions like "Why isn't Gat helping me fight the goddamned voodoo weed people?" since poo poo is going to hell simultaneously because that's how the Boss rolls.

Also play the game co-op if you can. I know I had my greatest co-op game experience playing Saints Row 2 with a friend.

You can motorcycle joust with Katana's in co-op (not very well, but its possible)

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Arkham Knight's insistence that the baddies aren't being killed by the Batmobile is ridiculous. How can tasering a goon while running them over with a 100mph tank be less murderous than just running them over?

Because this is the same universe who's physics allow superman to fly or the flash to exist.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

glad she is dead posted:

It's a small base with guards on tiny patrol loops. I mean, by far the most common complaint about GZ is that it's incredibly short. So short that people thought Konami were ripping customers off by selling it solo.

They were. Like it was parted out specifically so Konami would have something to put out that year to help recoup the cost of the fox engine development in addition to actual development time. It was supposed to be the intro to PP.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Byzantine posted:

God of War 4 pulling the "all religions are true!" retcon after the previous games went whole-hog on the Greek pantheon being the only one.

Not even the decency to go "the Norse creation happened after Kratos reset the world in GoW3". Nope, all religions exist simultaneously, so when the Sun plummeted from the sky and crashed into Marathon, plunging the world into darkness, that was just the Greek sun!

Oh, if only Kratos had sailed south just a bit past Crete, he would've found a line where the eternal night suddenly stopped because he entered Ra's domain. No need to fight Atlas, it's not like the world actually needs him to hold it up.

This is pretty awesome actually, how does it drag the game down? Why can't there be all kinds of suns and moons to go along with the creation myths? Its not like the series strives for historical accuracy.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

I wonder how you make that all work together, though. is the Christian God, a God that is above all others? Did he create the greek and norse jerkoffs just to mess with people? Do they try to make sense of it, or just have it exist in-game for no real reason

Kratos saved him for last. Makes perfect sense, hes just Schwarzenegger from Commando.

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:50 on May 7, 2018

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I say give us a God of War game where Kratos gouges out Jesus' eyeballs. Nobody ever gives Judeo-Christian mythology enough poo poo.

You have to kill Jesus like 3 times because that bastard just keeps coming back to life.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

Beyond Two Souls: she goes through this massive (spoiler in case someone just started playing it cause it’s free) CIA————————— training, and you didn’t learn even the basic of riding a drat horse? That’s literally impossible 100% in the real world.

I am also irritated that they use the wrong “controls” for the horse. In the game you just tap the horse once and it gallops. In real life, that’s not how it works. At all.

Thats the "Make it think of Ants button".

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Len posted:

Honestly it boils down to Fergus is better than Wyatt but Wyatt has the better supporting npc.

It's Hendrix

He also has a much better subplot in TNC. But Fergus is the most entertaining NPC in both games so its still a toss up.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Convex posted:

I wish games would let you subcontract out the busywork to someone less important, say for a reward of some random enchanted crown you picked up in the first few hours of the game which is now completely useless

some MMORPGS do.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm gonna do it again and say gently caress the whole "this game needs an update" to play bullshit.

I keep thinking about kids getting a PS4 or XBoxOne on Christmas morning or on their birthday and having to wait 5 loving hours to update their software and hardware or install poo poo in order to play with it .

Actually, gently caress those kids. This poo poo gets on MY nerves.

I commute 2 hours every day and sometimes just want to shoot zombies or nazis in the face without waiting 2 hours for the loving privilege. As we speak, I'm trying to fire up Wolfenstein: The New Colossus and am hoping to god the update loads in time for me to actually play the god damned thing before I have to go to bed in time to be at work by 6:30 tomorrow.

Am I asking too much for a game to be, you know, playable when i buy it? I realize I am old and cranky.

If you want to play a console game immedaitly, just turn off the internet connection before putting in the disc. the game will install and you will be able to play as soon as its installed without having to worry about the mandatory patch.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Why is Geralt so slow in combat! I'll use my sign to knock a dude down. But by the time Geralt's slow rear end walks three steps to stab him, the guy's getting back up. It makes zero sense that movement speed just drops by like, half when combat starts.

to give the dodge button a function. dodge forward to finish a dude after knocking him down.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Tomb Raider (2013) opening with a horror sequence nearly put me off of playing it. Tied up upside down by a cannibal? I came for adventure!

That is adventure. you don't end up in that situation without some kind of adventure happening. Many adventure stories have horror elements to them.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Randalor posted:

I don't recall the plot of San Andreas being that bad, but its been a while. At least the main character didn't have a problem being a criminal and didn't pretend he wanted out of that life.

Like all three characters in GTAV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Fire Emblem: Echoes had superb full voice acting. Great score too.

Just about the only good one I could think of.

Punch out for the wii was pretty good I that regard