Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Bogmonster posted:

I think the main thing bringing Alpha Protocol down is that it didn't do well enough for "spy" to become a genre. Imagine a bigger budget sequel with more locations and divergence in gameplay, so you can go through properly as the three types of JBs.

James Bond
Jason Bourne
Jeff Bridges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibur had a ton of monster and beastman units but the only way to get them was to recruit them during a random encounter. Problem is that random encounters were insanely rare. You could have your entire army marching around for an hour without finding a single one. In fact if you only do it for an hour you probably won't find one. And of course once you do get a random encounter recruiting them isn't guaranteed to actually work.

Outside of dragons and hellhounds, most monsters weren't really worth recruiting anyway, so when you run into a wild hawkman or faerie it just felt like a total waste of time.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

All-flying were pretty useful for getting around the map and yeah sphinxes could paralyze or something. Faeries/gremlins were odd because they never did much damage but if you came across them in one of the endless training battles their buffs/debuffs would stack forever and gently caress you up.

Are there any other games like Ogre Battle where you control your army from a general perspective but don't command individual units in battle? Fire Emblem/FFT/Shining Force scratch the battle and class-changing itches, but I'm not aware of other games like OB.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Leal posted:

Avengers starts with Thanos walking and snapping

Like in West Side Story? :hellyeah:

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

he was intended to be a clueless everyman that could ease players into the game's existentialism 101 themes but instead came off as a mewling prick who was completely unable to grasp a point no matter how many times it was reiterated to him

Ah yes, the Lloyd Irving school of character design (Tales of Symphonia)

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Leal posted:

You didn't know? There was unique dialogue to literally every NPC to specifically ask about Shaun.

...who? Fallout 4 was the one about trying to befriend a weird goon who lived in a baseball diamond and had a podcast, right?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

He was only the second-worst part of RE5 due to the comical levels of racism.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Cleretic posted:

One of my first posts in this whole thread is about stealth sections in non-stealth games, and Wind Waker is a great example of how, even if you get the actual implementation of a stealth section right, you can gently caress it up by dropping it in the wrong place.

You're right that the Zelda series really improved on their stealth sections after Wind Waker. Even though the Link Between Worlds Dark Palace stealth section doesn't make sense narratively, it's very well done mechanically since you can see the guards' cone of vision and watch their patrol routes.

I find the WW and OoT stealth sections equally miserable, but the Pirate Fortress keeps me from wanting to replay the game and Gerudo Fortress doesn't. Must be the timing thing you mentioned.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Riatsala posted:

I can't for the life of me decide who is the protagonist of this story.

Balthier explicity says he is the main character and who am I to disagree?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Karma Tornado posted:

revealing more and more dor

:golfclap:

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

I think Portal 2 limiting where you can place portals allows them to better draw your attention to the portal paint and the fact that it is made from moon dust which has the massive payoff in the finale. Not sure it's worth changing the way the game flows however, it really is a totally different game.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Wind Waker was even worse about that, where Tetra is an extremely capable pirate boss but as soon as it's revealed that she's Zelda she just has to hide in the castle basement for the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Opopanax posted:

It doesn’t help that the civil war plot has no real good options. You can side with the imperialist fascists or the nationalist racists, hooray.

Plus it's so boring. You're going up against armies of regular people instead of vampires, mages, werewolf hunters, dragons, automatons, or other cool factions.