Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
In a single-player game with a party, a relatively more lean character design like BG3's martial characters isn't too bad. You're gonna have magic-users with a lot of potential expression and power in your party anyway, you're not losing out on that by also having someone whose main skillset is 'Swing A Hammer At It'. And having those characters also helps the magic-users, because if Wyll runs out of juice, Karlach can still walk into melee and start breaking poo poo, so you're less sparing with resources.

None of that applies in a tabletop setting, where every character is only played by one person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

grittyreboot posted:

BG3 spoilers:
So Karlach's infernal engine is about to explode no matter what you do. That sucks. But then in act3 you find out the Steel Watch are using a stable, upgraded infernal engine based on her own engine's design? Cool! Let's free the engineers who invented this better engine. Then no one mentions giving her a stable engine. There's not even a throwaway line about why it wouldn't work. Why even mention the Steel Watch has poo poo based on her design in the first place? That's bad DMing

I stand by my feeling that BG3 is a perfect simulation of D&D with a bad DM.

And also a table that's just uncomfortably horny, but that might be a normal D&D thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Having now actually bit the bullet on Helldivers 2, I've realized another problem it has: I don't think there's a single more boring weapon to start with in a shooter than an assault rifle. And that's the only primary it starts you with. I reflexively compared it to Warframe, where one of the starting weapons was a bow, which was absolutely perfect for me; some sort of equivalent precision or 'heavy single shot' weapon would've been great.

There's ways to unlock other weapons really quickly, but without much in the way of direction it's likely you won't realize that as quickly as you can access that. New primary weapons are unlocked through their battle passes--which are free, so that's not itself a problem, but given no other game with battle passes does something like that (especially not Fortnite, which it's very clearly borrowed its battle pass progression from) I just straight-up didn't realize that's where the other weapons were.

At the very least, a live-service game this new can fix those problems, so they might not even be problems for long, but they are right now and they make for a really unimpressive start.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:37 on Mar 20, 2024

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Vic posted:

It's the most versatile weapon in the game. Unlocking a shotgun and semi auto rifle takes place within your first 3 games.

No, getting the currency to unlock them takes place in your first three games. But it's put in a place that is otherwise for cosmetics (and in other games, is entirely for cosmetics) that you're never actually pointed to.

I spent that currency on cosmetics before I realized that the gun on that screen wasn't a cosmetic.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Mar 20, 2024

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Tunicate posted:

People automatically filter out and ignore things that look like ads

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~lane/papers/banner_blindness.pdf

I'm convinced that the people who don't see the issue here actually haven't played any modern live service games, at all. Because if you have, you would immediately look at the way the Acquisitions/Warbond menu is framed and go 'oh yeah, this is the battle pass, it's gonna be full of FOMO cosmetics'. It's separate and blinking because it's the live service game equivalent of a banner ad. And then you look in one of them and you see, sure enough, that it's mostly cosmetics. It's designed exactly like Fortnite's battle passes, and Fortnite has weapon skins in there, so it's a natural assumption that you're looking at weapon skins.

Genuinely, the only way I can see that someone completely takes in that menu is if they've never played any game that's done this before.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Randalor posted:

... but I actually like the bow :smith:

If any shooter gives you a bow, it will be the best weapon in the game. I'm not sure exactly why, but this happens really consistently.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The problem with FromSoft questlines isn't necessarily their obscurity, so much as their sensitivity to how many weird things can go wrong.

If a quest has hit an apparent dead-end, is it because:
-The NPC is in a super weird part of the map that you haven't been to?
-There was a previous step that you didn't do when it was active because you didn't find it until it was too late?
-You did a tiny little thing that causes an anticlimactic bad end for reasons that will only barely make sense once you look it up online?
-The game just straight-up broke because the questlines are apparently the buggiest things in those games?

It's a mystery! And will very likely remain so, because no website that documents poo poo about these games is actually good enough at describing these questlines to diagnose them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Last Celebration posted:

Elden Ring is WAY nicer than the other From games about it, but also Elden Ring is just a loving huge largely non-linear game that gives A lot of freedom in how to accomplish its main “goals” so you’re all but guaranteed to miss some poo poo.

Also, the only one of those problems I described that actually went away was that you might lose the NPC off in some random corner of the map, because they're now marked on said map. They can still bug out, get esoteric bad ends, or just lose you in a missable obtuse nonsense step.

In fact I'm pretty sure I had all three of those happen in the one Elden Ring playthrough I did.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I've been playing Grandia 2 after being gifted it by a friend, and the main problem is that, for a game where a huge part of the core story is about two party members constantly swapping in and out of the main party, the game's UI is just terrible about facilitating that; pretty much every major plot beat is followed up by the minigame of 'will you remember to swap around the mana eggs and equipped skills, or are you gonna be walking into the next fight or two underpowered?'

The game's also one of those fun HD remasters that couldn't upscale its prerendered cutscenes, but I just find that kinda charming. The game's got a bunch of prerendered attacks, and it's honestly just cute to see it go from upscaled, crisp but still clearly Dreamcast-era graphics to a few seconds of anime at a low definition with a non-widescreen resolution.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Apr 1, 2024

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Leal posted:

Are goons still pining for Nintendo to come crashing down on the Palworld people for the crime of fox that breathes fire?

I think we've all generally realized that being lazy is different from being criminally lazy; none of Palworld's designs are original, but they don't cross into plagiarism.

Personally, my feeling on Palworld is that its attempt to imitate Pokemon failed miserably because they didn't bother with an important category for the whole monster-taming genre: the things. I don't care if a creature designer can make a penguin cute and marketable, anyone can do that, penguins are already most of the way there. Give me your equivalent of Grimer or Magnemite, show me how you make me like an inanimate object with googly eyes!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Taeke posted:

I'm hoping the success of Palworld will make Nintendo less complacent. There's an obvious market for an actually good and well developed multiplayer Pokemon game but for some reason they never got off their rear end to actually make it. They're just churning out increasingly lovely games because people would buy it anyway, for lack or a better alternative. Leaving that niche open for anyone to step in is a huge risk for a competitor to, you know, actually develop something that competes with pokemon.

With all due respect, that's like saying that EA's sports game developers should be stepping up and taking notice of the success of the latest Mario sports title. They're fundamentally just not in the same genre, not competing with each other in any real way, and the 'success' of one provides no lessons whatsoever to the other.

If what you actually want is for someone to compete with Pokemon, you should instead be supporting the actual competitors in the genre: Dragon Quest Monsters, Shin Megami Tensei. Yo-kai Watch, before that series flopped internationally because it turns out nobody actually buys straight-up Pokemon competitors for their own sake.

Also, Palworld has lost basically its entire peak playerbase at this point. Almost like it was only ever that popular as a brief flavor-of-the-month thing, and its natural popularity level is actually somewhere around Rust.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:27 on Apr 5, 2024

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

RareAcumen posted:

Palworld and Pokemon are competing the same way that Burger King and Mcdonalds are.

No, that's too geographically close. They're competing in the same way Outback Steakhouse is competing with an actual Australian steakhouse.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

An Actual Princess posted:

scarlet was the best pokemon since gold though :dafuq:

ScarVi is the only open-world instalment of a previously linear series that I genuinely felt was better than just getting a linear version.

I don't think we got a better Final Fantasy out of making a non-linear one. But it turns out nonlinearity does actually add a lot of interesting angles to a Pokemon game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

CordlessPen posted:

Was it really? As a non-Pokemon-player all I heard at release was that it was uglier than Arceus while also running more poorly, super buggy and had fewer Pokemons than earlier titles. I know it sold well but I thought it was an AssCreed 3 situation.

I think the core thing to remember about Pokemon is that, for pretty much its entire history, it's managed to succeed by its own metrics rather than things that would float or sink anything else.

It doesn't really matter if a Pokemon game is glitchy, runs poorly, looks bad, or has a weak story; hell, you already know that, because the first generation looked terrible and barely worked. What matters is that it introduces a bunch of fun, cute critters to catch, and makes the process of catching them fun. A Pokemon game will never truly fail, because it will always succeed at being a Pokemon game.

...also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that ScarVi had fewer Pokemon, because that's not true by either metric it could be judged by. In terms of 'new Pokemon introduced' it was at a healthy 110, making it the biggest generation since Black and White, and the first one since then to crack 100 new ones. And if you're going by catchable Pokemon at all it launched with 400, the same amount as Sword and Shield, and tied for second-largest amount of Pokemon catchable in a single region; X and Y take first.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Something also worth noting is that a bunch of the actual tech problems with ScarVi seem to stem from a memory leak or something, because it seems to get worse over the course of a long session. That unfortunately means that a bunch of streamers hit that because they're playing for hours on end, and are also perfectly equipped to showcase the bug when it happens, while people who play in shorter bursts are basically fine.

And while it's on a completely different branch of things, if competitive Pokemon matters to you, this generation is among the most popular in that crowd. Its generational gimmick is really interesting to build around (if you don't know, you can basically change a Pokemon's type once a match), and it's made a bunch of smaller changes that turn out to play really well, like changing the ice-type weather condition into a defense-boosting snow.

Those changes together led to this loving thing winning a tournament:

https://twitter.com/WeedleTwineedle/status/1764322136280199499

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How often in fiction has the masked guy turned out to be some random dude the hero has never met?

Are you sure you want to be introduced to about 70% of Gundam?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Meowywitch posted:

why wouldnt he? gundam rules

Gundam does rule, but some people don't like suddenly getting locked in on several decades of cool robots and then inevitably getting taken in by the siren's call of model kits.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Last Celebration posted:

Edit: or remake to be more precise, they probably just straight up reconstructed the game using the Wii version as a framework

It's hard to tell the difference between remake and remaster when the developers aren't clear about it (and doubly so when people don't understand they actually have definitions, it's not just 'enough changes make it a remake'), but Xenoblade Definitive Edition is specifically a remake, it's ground-up rebuilt in Xenoblade 2's engine.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
You know, out of all the stock world/dungeon themes, I think an underappreciated power player is 'Meat'. The part set inside of a big weird beast, with a bunch of organic parts. They're usually at least pretty decent, and I think a strength is that they're underused, I've never hit the Meat Dungeon and been bored by it.

...until just now with Grandia 2, where three of the four final dungeons are just slightly different permutations of Meat Dungeons. that's too many Meat Dungeons, I'm bored of weird sphincter doors now!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Near the end of Final Fantasy: Stranger of Paradise, the protagonist punches an innocent woman out for arguing with him. This is not treated as an especially dark act, and doesn't get any negative reactions whatsoever beyond brief surprise by those nearby; in fact, it's forgotten about pretty close to immediately as they have to wrap up a story that depicts him as a good and pure-hearted man, and introduce his previous, never-before-hinted-at relationship with that same woman he knocked out.

That... was not a line I expected the game to cross with a character they otherwise want me to like. In fact, I only during that scene even learned that was a line that someone might cross at all in a story not about an abject monster, because why the gently caress would you write that?

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:06 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

CJacobs posted:

The folks I've said this to have said that I was actually playing effectively for that reason and didn't realize it, but it sure didn't feel like it. I guess based on the responses it's just not my thing.

Edit: the most memorable thing about the gameplay for me was how annoying managing the sprint was :/

I've said this before, including about exactly the starting rifle and machine gun in Helldivers 2, but the problem isn't that the gun is bad, the problem is that the gun is boring, and no amount of being told that it's a really good weapon actually changes that.

It's something I first realized in Final Fantasy XIV; 'is this tool good' and 'is this tool cool/fun' are two different axes, and no amount of pitching or retooling on one is going to fix a complaint with the other.