Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

NikkolasKing posted:

DA2 might be my favorite but it's kinda like MGS2 in that "favorite" does not mean "best." As a cohesive, well-made video game, MGS1 and DA Origins are way better. They're actually finished, for one thing. But as for DAO vs. DA2, the origins, the variety in dialogue and characterization choices, the branching paths in quests - DAO destroys DA2 and DAI in these areas. But in spite of all that, DA2 is my favorite because I like the gameplay way more. I like the characters a lot. The Qunari are far and away the most interesting and unique thing about the setting and DA2 gives them the most focus in any of the games. The Arishok is the best antagonist in any BioWare game, for sure.

Someday we'll get DA Legendary Edition. Someday.

DA2 was the first real time party based RPG I'd played, so I played it 'wrong'. I played it pretty much as a hack'n'slash dating simulator and had a great time. I then watched my wife play it using strategy and the other party members abilities and was like 'whoa'.

The arishok was fantastic, I kept going back to see if he had new dialogue after every quest. I was so pissed that I had to kill him halfway through the drat game.

Didn't even get to take him on a date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

bossy lady posted:

The ideal boss fight is one where you enter the boss arena and they fall over and fart.

Surprised that isn't a boss fight in God Hand.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Or like, failing that at least get creative with it. What's that? You entered the plaid part of the map? Best wear your plaid armour or you'll die.

I wanna play this game.

Maybe plaid is super effective against houndstooth, but weak to pinstripe seersucker.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Extended narrative in video games was a mistake.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

They patched it out sadly but there were a few times in Rogue Trader where your primary contact with the Adeptus Mechanicus in the sector was present for a fight, and that dude moved so loving slow that him fleeting the area in a cutscene before a particular fight started took like, almost a Literal God Damned Minute. Just this dude very slowly shuffling off to the side of the room while everyone waited kindly for grandpa to exit the firing area before we started rampaging, it was great.

Just imagining a horde of Khorne Bezerkers on the edge of frenzy politely waiting for the old and infirm to clear the area because while they might be blood-crazed maniacal killing machines, they're not loving ANIMALS.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

kazil posted:

The villain of every season is a poison swamp

I really like the poison swamps. Is there something wrong with me?

Also, Jim Rash as Patches.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Stop spawning peasants - you may not realise it, but they contain skeletons.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Anything's better than the Tendencies from Demons Souls, at least regards to NPCs.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Arivia posted:

Huh? There was an entire class of magic items called grafts with like ten different variants, including construct grafts (in Faiths of Eberron) and also the half-golem template in MM2. The latter had a chance of turning you evil, but it didn't make you mindless.

'Wizard, ever since you installed this prosthetic hand, the inhabitants of Abyss have called to me."

"If you read your Consent to Magic scroll you'd see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Taeke posted:

I never reeally tried to interact with or make sense of those games, it's just too much effort. I'm like 20 years past having infinite time to search out tidbits of lore scour the map for something I missed. The gameplay is good enough on it's own terms and it's always pretty clear where to go next and what to do, so yeah. I gotta kill a lady sorceress now? Sure. Oh that guy I beat earlier came back with an upgrade? Whatever. There's a big loving giants in my way now? I'll kill it but gently caress me if I know how he relates to everything, I just have to get to that tree and beat whatever's there.

I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot of stuff that I would've loved when I was younger but I just don't have enough time anymore amd even if I do take the time I'll lose interest before I actually finish the game.

Things dragging games down: becoming an adult.

Honestly, I think this is one of the best things (to me) about the Souls games, that the story doesn't really get in the way of the gameplay. You can start a new game and be out exploring or killing stuff in a minute or so. I noped out of Horizon Zero Dawn, a game who's gameplay I think I'd actually enjoy, because it started telling me a story. I don't want a story, I want to hunt giant robots!

I'm not sure it's entirely about getting old and not having time, or whether it's growing up in the eighties with games with minimal or no story.