Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

CitizenKain posted:

I recently finished up Shadowrun Returns, and while I enjoyed it quite a bit, it had a few things that really dragged it down. Mainly, guns were far more powerful then pretty much everything else in the game per skill point that using anything else was kinda silly. Late game mages finally came into their own with some good AoE abilities, but by then you had characters packing burst fire shotguns that would do 60+ damage a turn, and most characters had around 60 health.

Also, I'd bring Deckers along at every mission, hoping they'd be able to do something, but the only mission where one is useful they provide one, and its the best decker in the game anyway.

Still, game was pretty enjoyable and I hope Dragonfall is even better.

Dragonfall is my first experience with Shadowrun. I really love the feel of it.

After a few hours, I was in a mission that I feel is unbeatable with my team on Hard. It's a mission with just me, and a crew of substitutes (who I have no control over their builds) - but I'm a decker, and can only contribute so much to damage output. Like you mentioned, they seem to give you deckers when they're needed, so any time you think YOUR decker will be useful, you just have 2 baby-weak deckers. Ah well, I think I'm legitimately stuck, but that may not be a downfall of the game so much as me getting too used to being coddled by games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

There are event bosses in Guild Wars 2 I've fought several times that I've never seen because the screen is too clogged with usernames. I have to like, hit TAB to target it.

It's actually more funny than anything, but seems kind of silly.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Tiggum posted:

Where do people even get this idea? Skyrim is not like that.

No, just the way that game works. If your problem with the game is that you think it should be a totally different game where you actually get to make meaningful choices,[...] If your problem is that you already think it is that game, you're mistaken.

I had a similar dilemma with buying a kindle recently. I smashed my old kindle in a car door, and it broke but good. I loved that kindle, and I loved the buttons on the side to scroll through the pages.

I went to amazon to replace it, but now they just make them without buttons; they're all touch screens. So now my choice is to either not get one or get one and bitch about the buttons I don't have. I know what I'm buying, but I also know that I'm missing what I've come to love from the product. :( :(

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm playing Beast Boxing Turbo. It's fun, but every single time you lose, it prompts you to lower the difficulty. And then when you get to the top league, it prompts you even if you win. It's annoying on its own, but what's worse is that I was trying to click past it really quickly, and I switched to "Easy" before the final fight on accident. I don't really care about the achievements, but if I want the one for beating it on normal, I have to go through all the fighters again. Super annoying.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

RyokoTK posted:

Can I play SR4 without playing the previous games and still enjoy the full Saints Row Experience?

I'm late for this, but people kept giving you the wrong answer.

4 was the first I played, and it instantly became one of my favorite games of all time. Just start the game acknowledging that you're not going to know everyone's backstory, and you're entirely able to enjoy SR4's own story.

When they make references to past events that you don't know about, all it really does is make you want to go back and experience them - which in my opinion is not a bad way to experience most series. Even when I didn't know all the details of character arcs, the game did a good job of hinting it at me. Like, one character comes in contact with a version of themselves from the past; and it easily could've been super confusing. But they tell you enough to have a good idea what's going on.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For the uninitiated, Ys is an Action-RPG series where the title is pronounced as "Eese" and the RPG half of gameplay is a straight-up lie. It doesn't matter what level you are, you will be straight-up murdered. I never beat the boss of the first game because he is a fucker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOginOZl1Pk

I dunno. In the the later ones, one or two levels matters quite a bit if you're stuck at a boss. I can't really stand that 'Bump' mechanic in the older ones though.

I downloaded the sim game Afterlife, and the disasters are all way too devastating - I had forgotten since playing as a kid. You want to build heaven as compact and efficient as possible. So I've got this nice tight heaven with top-tier buildings, when Paradise Pair o' Dice rolls in and levels the whole place. Cut my heaven population in half. Seems like something like that happens every 15-20 minutes.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Alouicious posted:

mass effect 1 is better than 2 or 3 and alpha protocol is better than mass effect 1

My favorite part of ME1 was that sweet meta-game of turning 99% of my loot into Omni-gel by force for the last 40% of the game.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

At this point, that Blizzard even tries to make games with stories, I want to give them a little white "Participant" ribbon for their effort. They've been so deficient for so long that it's just kind of cute and plucky at this point.

Playing Darksiders 2, and I'm really not too into the Loot system. I think the God of War/Onimusha/Dark Siders 1/etc progression of items is a really solid idea, and I don't get that same sense of constant progress with a loot system. It just doesn't do a lot for this type of game, particularly a single-player one.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I love Valkyria Chronicles, but the ranking system is dragging it down for me.

When you have battles, you get a ranking from A-D I believe. The ranking is almost entirely based on the number of turns you take to complete the battle. So even though the game gives you a cool tank, and interesting character classes, the way to get an A is to ignore any semblance of tactics and run your units with the highest move speed right into the fray. You can kind of scum the turn/targeting system in a way that you could have one unit standing in the open around 3 bad guys, and kill them all with little difficulty.

I guess I like that I have the choice to play conventionally, or like this; but I don't like that my Experience and Cash are hugely affected by rank.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You're swimming in both by the end even if you only manage average ranks, so don't worry about it. You also get bonuses for killing enemy units, tanks, and leaders, so if you know you're going to take ages to finish a battle, have some fun with that fancy tank and go mow everyone down before fulfilling your objective :)

You can also just play how you want and go back later to do the battle over in NG+ if you're obsessed with acing every mission. There's no penalty for re-playing previous missions, plus in NG+ you keep all your troops' levels, making it a cakewalk.

Well, hey that's good to know, thanks. I do really like the game.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It's like Skyrim. The most iconic piece of armor is out-moded by the time you hit the first anvil.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Gestalt Intellect posted:

While it would mean that I would only ever wear one or two outfits in any game, I wish more games had the option to dissociate the appearance of what you wear from the stats.

One of my favorite parts of Guild Wars 2 is that you can do this. Though it's so rare of an ability for the first 50+ hours, that you're tempted to pay money for the privilege, in my experience.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 06:37 on Jun 24, 2015

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Dragon Ball Xenoverse is a lot of fun to play; but when I think about its components, I have mostly complaints.

Like,

- One of the big draws is being able to make a really unique character out of several races and genders. But the game won't let you make more than one until you beat the game. You have 1 slot at the beginning, and if you delete your character, the new one you make will populate the same file. So if you killed the saiyans and were level 10, your new character will be at that same spot and be level 1. Not too hard to level up, but what a hassle.

- You can't run or fly in the hub area, even offline. It's kind of big

- You have to come to a dead stop and a short pause to use block. It really kills the flow of battle, and block is the counter to a lot of moves.

- Many enemies have an ability that repels you far away and does almost no damage. It's there so that you can't pound on them constantly, but all it does is waste your time as you get knocked back and have to fly forward again.

- Every saga crams in several levels where you have to beat 7, 15, 30, etc of some small enemy. Saibamen, Frieza goons, Cell Jrs, Small Buu's. Super-rear end boring.

But if a game can have so much wrong with it and still be fun, I suppose that says something.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I played and beat Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky a while ago and really like it.

I just downloaded the sequel, Second Chapter which came out recently. This game has the ability for you to load your save file from the first game. By then end of the first one, my equipment was like: God Staff, Valkyrie Breastplate, poo poo-Stomper Boots, etc.

This game starts the very next morning from the first one, and here's my equipment:

I get why the game has to do this; but I let out an audible, "God-DAMMIT".

Still good games.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Your Gay Uncle posted:

This always bugged me about the God Of War games. Each sequel had to find a more outlandish way for Kratos to lose his powers and weapons From the last game and start out a completely powerless chump.

I would've been even a little happier if they were like, "Note: some guy stole all your gear in the middle of the night"

But I went to bed, and woke up with a practice staff.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Cleretic posted:

As an aside, how is Legend of Heroes? I can't get enough JRPGs, so I'm interested.

It's hard to explain. I can't think of hardly any aspect of the game that is particularly innovative or unusual. I think the story sucks you in, and the writing and the characters are believable. Like, EVERY squinty eyed, nice person you meet doesn't necessarily betray you later on, for example.

I really don't know how to recommend it... but I probably put 50 hours into my first game, and I couldn't put it down. Just loved the characters and wanted to see where things were going to go. Battles remained difficult, but not crazy hard throughout the game. Final boss was really loving hard - which is always a good thing.

You should read other reviews than mine, but if you're looking for a good JRPG, it really fits the bill.

EDIT: Plus with the sequel just having come out, I think the first one is cheaper now. Was $30, I think I saw it for $20 when I last looked.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Nov 8, 2015

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Terminally Bored posted:

I love Trails In The Sky FC and SC but man, those games have a terrible combat system. Enemies health is always a four (bosses even five) digit number so you will be getting area attacks from a giant loving worm with 23/8000HP left that all the characters have been wailing on for turns. Also there are the random turn effects (buffs mostly) and you can steal them by timing crit attacks or using time magic but they will benefit the enemies as you're pretty much always outnumbered so statistically the enemies get buffed or outright healed most of the time. So lots of times that 23/8000HP fucker will be healed on the last turn. All the attack animations take really goddamn long (crits even longer) and there's no way to skip them. Lots of attacks/spells are area-based but you can't choose the specific tile the character will stand on during attacking, they will always take the shortest route. You can choose tiles to move on but only without attacking.

I kinda wish there was adventure mode in TitS without any combat. Story's fun as hell.

SC is suffering for a not-too-impressive Hard mode too. Hard mode is good when it makes every turn count, and has you using most of your items just to succeed. But this game just doubles - literally doubles - the attack damage enemies do. I've fought the first 4 bosses (which are presented as like sub or mini bosses), and each time I thought it was one of those fights your could lose and still progress; but nope, just regular fights.

Notable good Hard Mode games, I think are Dragon Age Inquisition, where I'd have to use traps and firebombs at the beginning, and really expanded my thinking tactially; and God of War (2). God of War is a notorious button masher, but hard mode makes you really have to think about what you're doing. Trails in the Sky SC is just - bam, double damage. I had to switch to normal, which is still somewhat challenging.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

New Vegas is better in just about every way I want a Fallout game to be better.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Cleretic posted:

And part of that to me is that it let you be a selfish, non-aligned agent. It's something I didn't notice wasn't there in others until New Vegas did it, and gave you a specific angle in the main quest of 'gently caress everybody, I'm doing this my way', which you're also quite allowed to play as being extremely self-serving. And why not? Everyone else is either lovely or incompetent, and you're the one doing the legwork.

Ugh, yeah, this is my favorite part of the game too. I knew when I reached the guy that shot me in the face, they'd offer me some compelling reason to side with him, but I stuck to my guns and crushed in his brain case with my big fist. Ditto every other NPC that tried to manipulate me. I punch what I want, who I want, when I want.

Game tries to tempt me with and a factory full of killbots, and all I have to do is Mr. House's bidding? gently caress your factory then.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 07:47 on Nov 22, 2015

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Replaying X-COM: Enemy Unknown.

Later in the game, you'll make your way through Very Large alien ships, and if all goes well, you're looking at a 30-60 minutes level. You have to creep along slowly, because when you encounter enemies, there's usually a group that will all "activate" at once. If you're not in a good defensive position, they'll do a lot of damage to you. The RNG of it can be really brutal some times. I had just spent 45 mins in one level, because the "aliens are over here" sound cues were flatout lying to me, and I was running back and forth for no goddamn reason. I group up and go to press on, and in about 2 characters' moves, I activate 8 enemies. All of them are super upgraded either in armor/weaponry, or in devastating psiotic abilities. Just wiped out 3 of my top officers, and I had to give up. So unforgiving.

This can happen in those 'Terror' missions where you have to save civilians. If you get a cramped map, you can easily stumble upon 8 of the crab-like, zombie making dudes, and they'll kill all the civilians in 2-3 turns.

Love the game tho. Really jazzed about the upcoming sequel.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Regrettable posted:

This is because enemy groups that haven't been activated teleport around the map to simulate movement. So one turn they'll be near you and the next they could be on the other side of the map. There was a bug for a long time where they would sometimes land right on top of your group and activate, which usually lead to a team wipe for me. Nothing like having a good run and 12 enemies suddenly appear right next to you to ruin your poo poo.

Oh god really? Yeah, they kept making noise from where I had just come from. Some of those ships are just too drat big.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I got KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords on the Steam sale. I had played before but never got very far.

I can't think of a more boring way to start the games. It starts you in a mining facility, and you're looking at like 2.5 to 3 hours of running around empty gray tunnels with a mining laser, fighting maybe 2 types of droids the whole way. When you finally get off that, you're immediately detained when you dock at the next planet, and have all your gear taken away. Taris was bad, but criminy, this is hard to push past. I keep hearing how good it is though, despite bugs, so I'm a try my best.

Also, people keep constantly telling me I'm severed from the force, even as I'm learning and using several Powers and Jedi Feats.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

2house2fly posted:

Yeah that's really weird!!

It is. When I keep hearing, 'we need to find out how to restore your powers, because you don't have any', and I just got done force stunning a bunch of guys, it's kind of weird.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Re: KOTOR 2

It's cool, I'm not too worried about spoilers. I was just like, "With this bad starting area, it'd be nice if the dialogue made some sense". Like, if my character had an option to say something like, "...but I just force choked a guy, so..." No big deal. I'm confident it'll pick up.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Two of the most recent games I've gotten DB: Xenoverse and Dragon's Dogma are dragged down by their save file systems.

If you're going to make an excellent character creator, and allow for tons of variation, why on earth would you not allow multiple save files?

In Dragon's Dogma, I get that I can change as the game goes on, but maybe I want to spend an hour with a few different body types and fighting styles and then pick. I don't really get that option now without re-doing all that intro stuff.

In Xenoverse, you can't even properly re-start with a new character if you want. You can create a new character, but it'll start in the midst of your last characters file at level 1. So you just have to grind old matches to catch up.

Character creation so good! Why they do this?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Morglon posted:

So still playing Dragon's Dogma and something weird has started happening. About a third of the time I walk into the castle to do something I will get arrested for no reason. Just walking up the the front door, guard comes up, dungeon.

I've found the same is true every time I kill the duchess and throw her in the lake. What the hell Capcom?

What's getting me about the game lately - and maybe it's really a problem with my expectations - is that a lot of quests will give you a choice to make; but one of those choices will be met with a "FAILED" message and lock you out of some future meetings or quests. In the end, that's not so bad. There probably aren't enough games that really stick you with consequences, but it irks me when I see that fail screen, for example, when I ("Arousing Suspicion" Spoiler)let the Duke kill the duchess

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

In Stardew Valley, my dumb wife has miscarried 4 times in a row.

Unless she's dumping the babies in the crop box or something.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Lizard Wizard posted:

It has miscarriage?! :pwn:

More likely a bug. She just keeps... forgetting she's pregnant. And then she gets pregnant again.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Haley finally gave birth to little baby Babs, so it's all good for now.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Kruller posted:

Worm tiles aren't the only tile that can give artifacts. ANY diggable tile can. The only thing worm tiles do is GUARANTEE you will get something.

Is this for sure? I know it's true in the mines.

I've dug a ton of random dirt around town trying to see if I ever get anything, but so far, only clay.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I could be remembering it wrong but couldn't you lock on to mimics in DS1 and 2?

Not until you 'revealed' them in one way or another. You couldn't just run in the room and hit R3

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Something really bothered me between Fight Night: Round 2 and Fight Night: Round 3

I loved Round 2, one of my favorite games of all time. One of the best parts is when you knock someone down, you get to see a replay of your punch, and it plays out so that the punch slams into them, and then the immediate aftermath is slowed down, so you can really appreciate the pain. The important thing, I think is that the punch itself was full speed.

In Round 3, they made the whole replay slow, and replaced the intense CRASH moment, with this weird, bone-crunching sound; and it's way too slow and unexciting. Round 3 also had a super low frame rate and the gameplay was way slower in general, making it less fun in almost every way.

It really is a "little thing", but it was the difference between one of my favorite games, and a game I probably wont load up again.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Nettles Coterie posted:

This is probably a weird/stupid complaint, but I really hate when a game has a song/singer that's supposed to be ~so amazing and beautiful~ but in actuality the song sucks major poo poo. My most recent source of rage for this is Fire Emblem Fates, which has this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do5NTPLMqXQ sung by one of the characters over, and over, and over throughout the story. And of course my main character fawns all over how beautiful it is. gently caress you, game! That song is AWFUL. The singing sucks, the arrangement sucks, the lyrics are garbage bullshit and there are way too many loving words crammed into each line. It comes up way too frequently in the game too, and every single time I have to turn the sound off until it's over. It sounds like they stole it off of some 14-year-old's DeviantArt account.

Also I can force my soldiers to get married and have babies that instantly turn into adults and join my army, and then also get married, potentially to me. That's pretty weird.

Man, you just took me back to Lunar: Silver Star Story memories. The "Amazing Singer" was so bad.

A lot of that, I'm sure, is poor translation from Japanese, and a minor-league singer; leading to absurd lyrics and slightly off-tone singing.

I just experienced it again in Valkyria Chronicles, when one player sang at a funeral.

Valkyria Chronicles, by the way: Halfway through the game, you realize there are really 3 tactical options:
a) Approach a level with a basic understanding of tactics games, until the level thows a story twist at you and messes you up - making you restart (e.g. say an invincible unit that one-shots whomever she pleases)
b) Inch along with the best mix of crew you can think of, as slowly as possible, taking many extra steps to make it to the end without retrying it 3-4 times
c - the best option) Buff a single scout with every defensive order, and run into the enemy camp absorbing and shrugging off bullets from half a dozen troops, tanks and turrets along the way.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I shot this rabbit with my red-fletched arrows and now it's white:

Get your poo poo together Dragon's Dogma

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I meant to pick up a mushroom. Picked up the rabbit instead. After this pic, I hucked him off a cliff.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm sure there's a mod, or a tweak in the game files to fix it, but in Mount and Blade: Warband, when you start your own kingdom, it is impossible to keep your lords happy.

Every time you give a lord land, you get a +10 to your relationship with them; but every other lord gets a -2 to -4 loss. It basically limits you to 6 lords max, and that amount can't adequately defend a growing kingdom. I guess you can make the lords loyal to you before taking them on as your vassals, negating the relationship loss, but that would take a huge amount of time (plus I didn't know that). I read that you can make them less unhappy by asking everyone who they think deserves the new land, and picking the most popular - but mine always just support themselves. Once they hate you, even helping them doesn't help. If I save a lord in trouble he blames me for trying to steal his glory.

I love the game so much, but this is killing me. My lords won't do anything I ask, and if I get into a fight in front of them they wont help. I even tried to throw a feast to boost relations, but nobody came :(

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It's been forever since I've played it, but I feel like Pirates and Mount and Blade scratch a similar itch. Fighting progressively bigger enemies in the field, working on your relationships and budgets in the towns.

See also: the flash game Fishy

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Phlegmish posted:

Here's the thing, the same modifiers apply to the AI kingdoms, so about after a year in-game you will start seeing regular indictments and defections of certain lords due to low vassal relations. Those indictments themselves lower relations with the remaining lords, who also get pushed into dissatisfaction and end up defecting or getting indicted. It starts off a ridiculous chain reaction where you can end up with several lords swapping kingdoms every single day. The base game is basically broken because of this. It also seems like something that could be easily mitigated by tweaking some of the values, and in fact it's simple to do this with certain mods, so the fact that it still hasn't been fixed is baffling. It honestly makes me wary of getting Bannerlord.

My suggestion is to use TweakMB to change the values around to something that seems reasonable to you.

I've noticed this! I can barely read the menu options when I go into a town, it's covered up with indictment notices. I've looked for the lines to tweak, but what I've found is either out of date, or I'm just not smart enough to find them. Should find a mod for it - though so many of them won't let you carry over your save, from what I understand.

edit: I found tweakMB, we'll see how that goes
edit2: Went good. I made the max loss of relationship -1 instead of -5. should be able to cobble some friendly lords out of that

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Jul 22, 2016

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

A couple things I want to mention for people that consider Lisa to be too hard, or to 'conceptual' to be enjoyable:

a) The first 3rd of the game is the hardest part
b - and more important than 'a') You can take a loss in Lisa that you would consider catastrophic in another RPG, and still be able to beat the game.

The game does want to punish you, and there are probably 3-5 fights in the game that are complete bullshit. But it's one that if you just keep playing, no matter how dire you "think" your situation is, you can keep going. The game is designed around completely loving you over, but about still giving you an avenue to complete it.

I'm not one of those, "if you don't beat it you don't understand it" type of people. But it's definitely true that, what would be a fail-state in another RPG, is a completely viable circumstance in Lisa

(e.g. having your main character's strength halved (or quartered); having your best party permanently wiped out; etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Games that are "Earthbound-likes" have become too common, but Lisa is a good one. It's worth dealing with a little bullshit. It took me 4-5 starts to ultimately finish, but I'm glad I did.

vvvvvv :mmmhmm:

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 07:48 on Aug 6, 2016