Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I was once tranq darted and captured in a place 2,000 feet in the air.

I feel like there's an Awkward Zombie comic here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zil posted:

Seriously? Why?

Have you heard the tale of Icarus?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

I don’t understand the rave reviews for deathloop. The plot is neat and the voice acting is fun/good, but the gameplay itself is pretty standard FPS fare (borrowing a lot from Arkane’s previous titles). Exploring was fun for a minute but I’ve beaten the game in about 4 days of playing on and off and there’s nothing left to do once you finish the main plot. There are a handful of side quests left that don’t impact the plot or gameplay at all. Just kind of a letdown. There were also a bunch of janky mechanics like enemies sometimes seeing you through walls, shotgun blasts inexplicably missing point blank with the crosshairs centered on the enemy's torso etc.

Also I was expecting some huge reveal/plot twist at the end and the one we got was kinda "meh, ok".

The song over the closing credit owns though.

Deathloops biggest sin is just being overpriced for what it is. It is genuinely a very interesting game, just not at that price point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In the ending of Deathloop after succesfully killing all the other visionaries you get 2 minutes of talking to Julianna. Almost immediately you then get to choose whether to reconcile with Julianna and continue the loop, shoot her but continue the loop anyway or betray her and kill yourself to end the loop entirely. Now if you pick the last option, as you boot back into the game you can just keep on playing as Cole as if nothing just happened.

On one hand, I was kinda relieved not to lose my progression. On the other hand, going full Nier/Undertale would have left more impact to what is currently an extremely weak ending. It almost feels like an afterthought and I don't understand why they give you the choice to end the loop at all if it's just a whiff. It is literally framed by Julianna trying to persuade you to enjoy and preserve the loop. So thematically, rejecting the idea of enjoying the loop should have some kind of consequence for the player.

Just disappointing. Very half-baked.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

To be fair that's an entirely realistic fear mostly due to the spacecraft controls' learning curve.

First time I flew in Outer Wilds I accidentally threw myself into the sun. :(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I beat Yakuza 0 and loved it, but something that started to bug me was that the lock-on system in combat is more like the vaguest idea of thinking about locking on to someone. It doesn't matter too much for a lot of the game, but by the endgame you're getting a lot of gun-carrying enemies mixed in, who you absolutely want to take out first. The problem is, now they're often mixed in mobs of a dozen other melee dudes, and it feels there's not a good way to consistently target them so you're constantly struggling against the "recover from gunshot" QTE while you're fruitlessly trying to take them out.

Yakuza 4 similarly had an end-boss with like 10 gun-mooks spawning in and it was hell.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Halo Infinity is a pretty decent open-world game (and definitely a nostalgia bomb for someone like me who dropped the series at game 3) but it just has one big problem, its storytelling absolutely blows. Nothing is ever set up properly, most things aren't properly delivered and to cap it off it just ends abruptly when all the principal antagonists are dead without really resolving anything.

You never a have a good sense of why you're doing anything nor the scale of what is going on in the game-world outside of you massacring aliens.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I want to amend that this would be fine, if not for the fact that the story and its characters are front-and-center. Yet so much is needlessly obfuscated from the player and the whole thing is just unfocused.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah it's, generally, awful game design to explicitly tell the player that there'll be negative consequences to doing something, when the opposite is the case. It's another case to be actively subverting something, but here the game is just being misleading to no avail.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So a new yu gi oh game came out, figured I'd check it out since I've been wanting to play some TCG stuff for a while, how bad could that be? It's somehow worse than the previous mobile game. Turn limits are like, 500 seconds and since they don't seem to have staggered the card releases as far as I can tell and are using an incredibly loose ban list, every match I got into was just 499 seconds (when the timer wasn't frozen) of watching my opponent jerk himself off clearing the entire board and getting some unkillable invincible monster with more attack power than I had life points and winning in one hit. Every single time. And the animations are slow as gently caress, too. It's somehow the most miserable experience I've had playing a card game in a long time.

I don't know if it's server issues or w/e but this is the slowest I think mainline games have ever been for multiplayer. It's also just bizarre how the game reverses some of the UX lessons from Duel Links and has one of the slowest main menus this side of Call of Duty.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kingdom Hearts 3 has the worst final boss of any of these stupid games. Why game oh god why. Tedious gimmicky bullshit.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

FF7's Wall Market in the Remake seems a bit disappointing so far, because it's all to doll Aerith up instead of Cloud. That feels kind of underwhelming compared to the original. It may get back on track later, but it's a lot less fun.

:lol:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

FF7 Remake:

Way too much Sephiroth. Feels like the makers of the game couldn't reconcile the entire first chapter of the remake taking place in Midgar with how iconic Sephiroth is for FF7 and crammed him in everywhere they could to compensate. In the original game Midgar only lasts a few hours before you make your way out into the world map and everything opens up. They still had most of disk 1 and disks 2 and 3 to build up Sephiroth as the antagonist so you don't see him too much early on and it's more impactful as more about him is revealed. In the remake he's showing up all the time, either in person or by giving Cloud mako hallucinations so Cloud is acting weird while everyone else doesn't know what's going on. They even made Sephiroth the final boss which seems like it's going to make it less interesting if they close out future chapters by making you fight him again. There's even a form of Bahamut as a boss right before the Sephiroth fight because it's a Final Fantasy and you have to shove a Bahamut in there somewhere.

I just don't understand how they're going to pace things going forward. Midgar in the original was about seven hours of gameplay, the total runtime is probably something like 70-90 hours depending on how many side quests you do. For it to match up to the original they're either going to have to seriously rush through most of the story or stretch the remake out to 10 games with this same level of production quality.

Like the entire point of Remake was establishing that they're doing a different story in the same setting.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, that was the vendor on your airship in FF X.

He think he even gives you poo poo on the airship as it is getting attacked. It is fantastic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Which sadist developer decided that EXP should be tied to difficulty in Elex 2. The game is already super-grindy and interspersed with a hard-level requirement to proceed the story. Why would you do this.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arrath posted:

Because its an old guard game? Elex 1 sure was.

Random aside cause I'm chanting "I won't buy Elex 2 just cause its on sale" to myself. Does ranged combat still suck utter balls?

They nerfed ranged and buffed melee since that was a common complaint with 1. Not that any but a few enemies are a real threat if you don't mind encounters taking a while.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

credburn posted:

I have lately been getting into Tower Defense games

Any good ones?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Oh, so it's like Dark Souls 2, except it's actually bad instead of just a bit disappointing.

It's not even necessarily that it's bad but it's just a completely rushed out and botched project. There's a shell of a game that was supposed to be, but everything is half-baked. Gameplay especially is just very flat and dull, some enemies don't even have functioning AI and path-finding.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think the ending twists were fine, but 13th Sentinels actual gameplay stays around for way longer than its welcome. The later missions especially are so grindy and there's just so many of them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Graveyard Keeper is just so strange. It's like every single aspect of the game is slightly undertuned, making everything slightly more difficult than it feels like it should be. The inventory is just a little bit too small, you get just barely enough information to progress and everything is just a tad grindy. It's not difficult, just strangely off-kilter.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Flat Eye is dragged down by being an underbaked mess. It's like its finished but missing about 6 months of playtesting. Too much grind, elements that feel weirdly out of order and just outright broken gameplay elements which is a shame because the design, premise, story and characters all sorta work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've never played Control and more than any other game I feel like I simultaneously know so much and so little about it.

It's a game about throwing rocks at stuff and going pew pew with your hands.