Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Every single exotic engram I've gotten in Destiny has identified into the same pool of 4 items.

Every.
Single.
One.

I once bought 9 from the shows up every weekend guy, 5 identified into the same helmet, the other 4 into the same helmet for a different class.

I've also never seen a primary exotic one like ever, I think they don't exist and this poo poo has been going for a little over 6 months, for a loot driven game it sure is super lovely with the loot.

It used to be much, much worse.

But yeah the streaky RNG for engrams is fuckin infuriating.

Arrath has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Yea ok game, no worries, I will come back later once I've leveled up more to lockpick this cracked display case that I could shoot open or smash with my power armor.

Hey I know that case. Have dogmeat search for items/weapons :ssh:

Unless they patched that since release, I have no clue.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Morglon posted:

They're too busy literally selling community mods they packed some vague content into as real DLC to patch any actual bugs. At least that explains why they're taking their time with the GECK.

The thing about Dark Souls is I wish it was handled a lot more like the fight club.

Yeah I do love that the first dlc is all the same poo poo modders would be putting out in mass quantity.

If, y'know, the GECK was out. I usually can't bring myself to give a poo poo about ~dlc moneygrubbing drama~ but that just feels blatant.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A White Guy posted:

The worst about of HL1 on hard mode was killing the marine, but him still nailing you in the face with a grenade fired milliseconds before he died.

Things dragging Mount and Blade Warband down:siege battles. Some maps are hilariously simple, others are incredibly difficult. All of them share repetitive slash-at-dudes heads.

Some mods for the STALKER games that give the AI more gear result in this too. Those guys still may not be able to aim their shorty paratrooper AK's very well but you bet your gibbed rear end they're a crack 300-yard shot with that goddamn grenade launcher. Oh you have a sniper rifle? That's cute, better fuckin not miss. THUMP...BOOM :gibs:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

On the other hand, every jackass solider carrying a loaded underbarrel meant I had more than enough grenades to play with beyond just OH poo poo A CONTROLLER moments. So that was cool. But yeah the fact that they could just point click *boom* you're dead meant there was a looot of quicksaving.

The OGSE mod added automated LMG turrets to military structures that would gun you down even in good armor in about 3 bullets. Those things were complete bullshit. So naturally I got a mod mod to tone them down. Actually, thinking back, popping those fuckers was my #1 use of grenade launchers for quite a while.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

FTL was a lot of fun when I modded the rebel fleet out and traipsed around the galaxy at my own pace before getting blown to poo poo by the rebel flagship.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

One of DOOM's armor upgrades makes you immune to barrel explosions, for what it's worth.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

No mention of the terrible, terrible scope overlay for the JKII disruptor rifle? I played that poo poo on the xbox on a classic CRT TV and it was so blurry as to hardly be able to see poo poo, it loving sucked.

RareAcumen posted:

The navigation upgrades makes finding Praetor and Health/Ammo/Shield upgrades easier too right?

So I hear, I only played it a bit the other night when a friend brought it over. I noticed the barrel immunity upgrade is all.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The first bit after you get upgraded force choke was amazing and made up for Nar Shadda. A long narrow path over a pit with swarms of stormtroopers? Choke, fling AAAAAH. Choke, fling AAAAAH. Repeat like 50 times. :black101:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, you have this fancy future-magic setting that would theoretically allow for really exotic weapons and stuff. But in effect it's pretty much always "assault rifle + assault rifle + rocket launcher", because most of the time the other weapon types simply don't offer anything better. There's a handful of exotic weapons that try to be a bit more interesting, but even those often don't really offer any new real gameplay options. It's still pretty much just "point at enemy, hold left click until enemy dead". Whether it's a stream of bullets or an energy ray is not really much of a difference.

As for the PvP, it's like real bad. The time to kill is really rather long while your mobility is fairly limited, so really the best thing to do is to roll around with your whole team in a giant blob and hope to catch enemies alone as they respawn. Trying to outflank the enemy is basically useless, since even with the element of surprise you will basically always lose a 2v1, often getting melted down before you take down even one of them. Not that you're likely to even have the element of surprise in the first place, since everybody's got the next best thing to a maphack anyway. You'd think the various skills of the classes might be useful to break up these stalemates and bring in some dynamic, but for whatever reason those things got like minute-long cooldowns and are hardly ever relevant.

Actually with the latest updates the PvP has swung the other way. Time to kill is stupid fast, at least with the most OP exotic weapons. Which, obviously, everyone uses. 2-3 burst kills from the best pulse rifles as soon as you round a corner, it's really really lame.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I play it because, despite the flaws, it's still a Bungie shooter which means it's fundamentally sound in the actual shoot aliens department.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jukebox Hero posted:

A man kills a tank with hand grenades by pitching one down the barrel so it detonates the loaded shell inside the barrel

To be fair, people have done this. Maybe not the shell loaded in the breech, but the tank sure blows up good when all the propellant and shells go off.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

There's a pretty great mod called freeside open that blows down all the linking doors in between the various outdoor regions of freeside. It makes it quite a bit better than the base game. It might have been time that they ran out of but they also had to work with bethesda's jank rear end engine and they also had to make sure it worked fine on 360/PS3 hardware, so everything had to be tightened up.

Console comparability was the woooorst. I still remember that Primm was a helluva fight the first time through, at launch. My next playthrough? After a patch, which reduced the enemy spawns from like a dozen+ to 4 dudes cause the poor consoles had trouble with it. What a lame duck experience.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sure lessens the impact of finding the hidden alcove in a random cave within a tomb in which hides the only obtainable, unenchanted daedric helm in the entire world, when eventually random rear end bandits will be decked out in the stuff.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

No gam has really captured the pure joy of setting off a dwarven explosive satchel in a group of myrkridia since the Myth games.

Or the sheer horror at watching the drat thing fizzle in the rain.

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah but what are the odds that any given alcove is going to have something interesting like that instead of just being yet another heavily locked chest containing 50~ gold?

I was specifically thinking back to Morrowind when a goodly number of the caves did actually have some interesting unique loot, as well as a few chests with assorted worthless poo poo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Xenonauts: A mid 2010's OG Xcom-alike irrating things: There is damage variance to the anti-air weapons. So sometimes my two-ship flight of interceptors will blast a landing ship out of the sky with their huge missiles, while other times the dice roll will leave it at 2% health, merrily bombing the poo poo out of rural Indochina.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

The air combat in Xenonauts in general is awful

Yeah its basically just a time tax. I can chance the auto resolve and suffer damage to my planes, or take a minute or two to do it myself, dance around the enemy, stay out of their arcs, woosh boom, lets go home and do it again.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Which sadist developer decided that EXP should be tied to difficulty in Elex 2. The game is already super-grindy and interspersed with a hard-level requirement to proceed the story. Why would you do this.

Because its an old guard game? Elex 1 sure was.

Random aside cause I'm chanting "I won't buy Elex 2 just cause its on sale" to myself. Does ranged combat still suck utter balls?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

They nerfed ranged and buffed melee since that was a common complaint with 1. Not that any but a few enemies are a real threat if you don't mind encounters taking a while.

Nerfed range? drat I never found it usable to begin with.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

This reminds me of the part in MGS V where the big bad and you are being driven in a car as the guy monologues at you.

Except the drive is quite a bit longer than his speech so at the end you both just awkwardly sit in the car for a few minutes.

I wonder if the audio track was longer in Japanese.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Reminds me of Toy Commander on the Dreamcast, also. You pilot various toys like jeeps, tanks, or planes in various levels set in different rooms of the house. Assaulting building block bases defended my army men and so on.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

2house2fly posted:

It sounds like a fun gag, like how souls games will have an empty room with a collectible in it and you get knocked into a pit when you go for it. Or when New Vegas has DANGER AHEAD signs near the starting zone so you go "pff whatever" and stride into Quarry Junction, the hardest area in the entire game

And then you learn, and go elsewhere. I sure did after getting eviscerated in quarry junction. Sure put the game down in a huff if you want, or play on. poo poo happens.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

I hit a mission in BT where it was a few medium mechs, and icons for vehicles. Turns out a bunch of those vehicles were SRM carriers, and had 6 SRM4s or something on them, and they could basically drive straight up, fire everything and have a good chance of crippling a mech. They also all got to go before I did.

Kinda stopped playing after that.

Yeah SRM carriers are one of the handful of "HAHA SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER" vehicles that will sucker punch you if you're not ready and keep to the assumption that you can run a light mech up and stomp on all vehicles all the time. They can really put the hurt on.

Encountering them did inspire me to fit out a mech version of an SRM carrier though. That bastard could jump jet in behind drat near anything and core it out in one volley. :allears:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I really enjoy Battletech. My chief complaint is purely about the performance. It can start to get pretty crap, loading times too, in longer campaigns.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Its no Cyberstorm 2, but its pretty solid.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Didn't everyone spend their RDR2 time righteously blowing limbs off with the pump action shotty?

I found that to be immensely satisfying.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Put down red dead 2 for a month or two and try and go back

This is why those always on screen button prompts are so dang important.

Otherwise yeah, I'd draw down on everyone I meant to say howdy to.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I don't think I'll ever actually complete a loop of Synthetik, but man do I love shooting robots.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I know someone has said it before but I'll reiterate that, even with a goodly amount of playtime in both, whenever anyone mentions Paths of Exile or Pillars of Eternity, I have to stop for a sec and think of which one of the two that is.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I like games where you can skip the tutorials but then the game is like “ok, but if you ever need a refresher it’s all in the tutorial menu” for when you sheepishly need to crawl back later

Persistent onscreen control prompts have been a boon for me, especially in something like RDR2 where I come back to chill and vibe in the wilderness now and then, and each button pulls like triple duty in context sensitive actions.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think the person responsible for mouse interfaces on console and press-and-hold confirmation buttons needs to be shot into the sun or at least tied to a sinking boat

Also string up whoever decided to implement the exact same press-and-hold paradigm in the PC ports of those games.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ah yes the glory days of PickIt and PindleBot.script

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

GTAV has Moon Cycles

Does it only affect the moon as seen in the sky, or the nighttime brightness as well?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Zero_Grade posted:

This all makes the game sound quite unsatisfactory.

:golfclap:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

At first I is thought it was the missing closing quotation mark on the 2nd option, then I saw the extra is.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

On the other hand you have (well, had) Marvel Heroes. It was so ridiculous the loot kinda came back around on me.

For tiers of rarity you had

Orange (usable)
Yellow (leveling gear)
Purple (trash)
Blue (trash)
Green (trash)
White (trash)
Grey (so rare some thought it to only be legend, but also trash)

Not to mention plenty of other items that didn't fall on the scale like artifacts (red) or runes (pink) or exp orbs (orb) and etc.

Let me guess, the game doesn't support a loot list filter set up like Path of Exile.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I played mass effect in possibly the worst way ever: neurotically saving before every conversation in case I didn't like how it played out and I wanted to go back and try different responses.

I was the thing dragging down my mass effect experience

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Call of Cthulu DCOTE had that great sequence where you had to run from a mob, bolting doors behind you and shoving furniture in front of them. I don't think I've ever been as panicked in a game.

Isn't the building on fire for the sequence too?

Anyway yeah it was terrifying.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That's why I like Monster Hunter, all boss rush all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

credburn posted:

Bring back tank controls for every third person game.

Please, don't give them ideas.