Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So I decided to play the Sly Cooper games (well, at least the first three). The first hub-world and levels in Sly 1 aren't bad, good variety of level gimmicks, only real headache was the submarine mini-game, where you have to shoot chests to collect them and shoot crabs to stop them from carrying the chests away and every time they grab a chest, it seems to reset the chests health.

The second hubworld and stages... I'm really hoping that they wanted to get "poo poo level design" out of the way early. A sidescrolling-esqe stage where one of the collectables is placed just outside of the area you can reach, so you have to attack it to collect it while bouncing off of one-use platforms that only reset when you die. A hub-world where it's easy to accidentally trigger the enemies with homing ranged attacks after leaving some of the hubs because you thought the hub acted the same way as the first hub, and removed the guard closest to the entrance. A racing minigame with very floaty controls and very little traction. A minigame where you're protecting your partner with a long-range gun and one shot from you will kill him (He can take multiple hits from enemies and stage hazards, but one shot from you is enough to kill him). And to top it all off, a boss that, when you first fight him, starts off closer to you than he's supposed to (I'm assuming, as every time you fight him after he starts at the far end of the arena) and can and will just pull out his guns and shoot you before you can figure out where you can and can't go. His bullets either sometimes clip through the edges of the crystals you hide behind/shine lights into, or Sly's tail is also part of his hitbox (which means that you're twice as long as you would expect). And to top it all off, the final part of the boss requires jumping on tiny platforms that you use a special move to latch onto, except that the special move sometimes doesn't want to register the platform and you fall to your death. It was a bit of a surprise of how solid the first hub and stages were only to come in to a pile of odd and poor design choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

I wonder how you make that all work together, though. is the Christian God, a God that is above all others? Did he create the greek and norse jerkoffs just to mess with people? Do they try to make sense of it, or just have it exist in-game for no real reason

Isn't there some evidence that Judaism (and by extension, Christianity and Islam) may have originated as a polytheistic religion that over time became monotheistic? I know verses like Exodus 20:2 (Thou shalt have no other gods before Me) may have originated from the polytheistic basis.

Basically, what I'm saying is YHWH would basically do what Kratos is currently doing if given the chance, and depending on how you interpret the bible, may have actually murdered the rest of his pantheon so YHWH could be the only one.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jesus is the recurring butt of sight gags.
Kratos kicks down the doors to a temple? Jesus was on the other side and is crushed by the falling doors. Kratos knocks down a boulder blocking a mountain path? Boulder rolls over Jesus who's preaching at the bottom of the mountain. Kratos causes an explosion in an armory? Jesus on the cross is impaled by a flying spear.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I knew about the chasing moneychangers out of the temple and cursing the fig tree, but that's less "Jesus being awesome" and more "Jesus on the path of being a good rabbi". I just like the idea of Jesus just trying to do his thing while Kratos is loving everything up, then after Jesus dies and rises on the third day, he is pissed and comes after Kratos, all the while Kratos has no idea who this is and why he is pissed at him.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

While I love Hyrule Warriors, there is one major thing dragging the game down. When you fight boss monsters, you only do minimal damage to them unless you hit them with a specific subweapon during specific attacks, at which point they're stunned and you can attack them for more damage and to try to trigger the heavy damage animation. Aghoma has only a couple of attacks, and it tends to spam its eye laser so you can shoot it with the bow and manhandla hits like a tank but its heads can be stunned during more of its attacks, but King Dodongo can only be stunned when he inhales to shoot a fireball. And it seems to be completely random when he does it. He has several other attacks, and while you might think there was some relation between them, there isn't. He has no problem doing paw slams into roars into paw slams into rolling away into roar. It's just a slog fighting him, hes the first boss introduced so you see him more than the other bosses, and Adventure mode has a very early mission when you have to kill two of them in 10 minutes. Pray that the RNG gods smile upon you, because that's the only way you'll get a good time on that mission (yes, I am aware that magic stuns bosses, but it seems to be RNG if the mission spawns enemies that drop magic potion in that mission as well)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Calaveron posted:

You can bait his attack if you stay at a midrange distance from him
Manhandla is the absolute fucker who will just gently caress your poo poo up and is actually detrimental to fight with more than one character

It seemed to be easier in the WiiU version of Hyrule Warriors to bait out his inhale, but on the Definitive edition it seems more random and he does the rolling attack more often than not if I stay outside of his melee range.

Manhandla is a pain to fight, but you fight them less overall and they seem to enjoy doing attacks that make at least one of the heads weak, so overall it feels like I'm doing more against them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My World, My Way was on the DS, but it sounds like that game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Aren't the enemies attracted to the flashlight and have a harder time homing in on you if it's off? I'm pretty sure I meleed my way to the final boss by turning off the light and beating them with the metal pipe. You might have to let them attack first and move out of the way/back up first, but I'm fairly certain you can melee to the final boss.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I did not get one nor was I told to build one, and I started a fresh save.

EDIT: I think you just got lucky? I started with schematics to every loving gun.

Its needed for the tutorial though, on the second planet where you get taught about base building and schematics.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

La Mulana 2 is great, I'm having fun playing it even though I've had to refer to wikis a few times to figure out what I missed because I seemed to have hit a dead end. But there is one thing that made me actively pissed at the game, and that's the hallway to reach the pedestal to get the flare gun.

You have to use an item, the Gale Fibula, to run really fast to avoid being crushed by the ceiling. Once you start running, you can't stop or change direction until you hit a wall, at which point you bounce back a fair ways. At this point, I've had to use it about 5-10 times. For this one specific hallway, if you hit the wall, you bounce back under the crushing ceiling and die. What you have to do, is jump before you hit the wall, so you stop moving long enough for the ceiling to drop, because you dont actually bounce backwards until you're on the ground. This has never come up before now and will probably never come up again. It's just infuriating because of how long I spent thinking it was having to stand in just the right spot before running, and the solution was something that... why do I not bounce back when I hit the wall in the air? Why do I suffer bounceback when I've dropped straight down along the wall?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Did the plots in any Rockstar games ever make sense? Most of the time its just bumbling around doing bitch-work for different bosses. GTA V has a really flat climax where the three leads kill each others nemesises, so in the end you're just killing off total strangers, and its not explained why we couldn't have done this sooner. At least in Yakuza there is a thread of logic from the starting incident to the climactic shirtless punchout.

I don't recall the plot of San Andreas being that bad, but its been a while. At least the main character didn't have a problem being a criminal and didn't pretend he wanted out of that life.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

The Saints discovered time travel at the end of IV. There are limitless possibilities but instead we got Agents of Mayhem. I loved the silly Saturday morning cartoon aesthetic, but man the gameplay got really stale after like an hour and absolutely nothing different happened beyond incremental upgrades to your characters.

I was hoping Saints Row V would have been "wacky time shenanigans, with the whole crew and Jane Austin". Hell, even having something where you're just dealing with a city and the surrounding area, but have it set in 3 or 4 time periods would have been a fun twist on the genre. Western/frontiers-time, 1920's/30's mafias, 1980's-now corrupt businesses and "20 minutes in the future" dystopia. Enough that you can get a wide variety of side missions, see how various parts of the towns/city change and stay the same.

Instead we went to hell. And got a game where you can accidentally trigger the final mission before doing even a quarter of the content. I never did find all of the powers in that game...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Digirat posted:

I haven’t played it myself but by all accounts, starbound

Oh? I tend to not notice anything until well after the fact. I thought Starbound was just a knockoff Terraria that petered out during Development. I wanna hear about the behind the scenes BS.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Thing dragging down Starlink (and other modern console games): it says on the box it requires a further 4gb download to play the game, but there's no way to have it download without playing the game. Put in the game, it starts right up, and says "Oh, the rest of the game will download as you play". gently caress that poo poo, I won't be able to play it until Friday anyways, let me do the download now without having to start the actual game. Because I already know that at most an hour or so after I start playing, I'll hit the point where it'll say "Oh, sorry, we haven't finished downloading this part yet. Please wait X minutes before continuing".

No day 2/3 patch when I put in the game though, which is a nice change of pace.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Somfin posted:

yo Mega Man Zero devs

if you're gonna put in a system that lets you buy crazy powerful game-breaking upgrades by grinding thousands of points of currency off of respawning enemies in order to upgrade difficult-to-find collectable cyber fairy creatures

don't fuckin' ding the player's rank at the end of the level just because they bought 'em

maybe don't rank player performance if you're gonna use it to punish actually engaging with your fuckin' collectable hidden pokemon thing

ya pricks

Don't the Zero games also gate certain things behind A/S ranks? I'm pretty sure at least one of them doesnt give you the boss reward on less than an A rank. Its definitely got the same "Win More" issues as Enter the Gungeon and Binding of Isaac, but spread over longer games.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

FC5 is considerably worse than 3 and 4, since it forgot that the series traded heavily on charismatically evil villains.

Far Cry 4's biggest sin is that it's too short, and doesn't have a villain. Your bus gets shot up, the leader executes the guy who did it, has you over for supper, executes the terrorist spy, then you have shrimp ragoo for 15 minutes until he returns and explains the whole plot. Bit of a letdown, really. But hey, it's not like a wannabe drug lord or child-marrying cultist are ruling the country or anything.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Olaf The Stout posted:

Man, I wonder what franchise Nintendo should mix with next.

Total War: Hyrule

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Leal posted:

There is a mod for Medieval 2 that does this, and man it has some real high quality effort behind it.

Yeah, and it shows that there are enough "races" that you could easily do an actual Total War game for it. Except I guess that means you would have to play on the Switch and I dread to think how the combat would control in that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jigglypuff

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The challenges in Spider-Man are bullshit. Well, okay, not the challenges themselves, but the requirements to get gold on them. I can get silver after a few tries, but the timing seems to be incredibly strict to get enough points for gold that I'm going to pass on them. I mean, it's not like I need to get gold on all of them to unlock all the costumes and upgrades... right?

Also, that several costumes show up after storyline events that require challenge tokens despite challenges not showing up until several hours later in the storyline. Why not just have them show up after the challenges become available instead of making me think I missed something for so long?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

And the game that provoked that post, Gladius: Relics of War. That's how the Tyranids operate. They turn the terrain around their cities to empty bedrock as they harvest everything for biomass and move on, rendering anywhere the Tyranids have been worthless for everyone else except for special resources, which don't disappear. They're built to be constantly expanding to keep harvesting biomass, burying the map under a tidal wave of critters.

Harmless to the Marines, whose central gimmick is that they're a one-city civ to begin with, and merely inconvenient to the Guard and Orks who can found cities anywhere. Extremely loving annoying as the Necrons, who can only found cities on specific locations randomly generated on the map.

That's really weird that the Necrons would be the ones most affected by that. Their entire schtick is that they're immortal not-Egyptian robots. Why would they care if a region is reduced to bedrock to build there? Or is it a case of the special location is a special tile type that gets overwritten with bedrock when the Tyranids do their game mechanic?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Watching more XCOM 2. The enemy can have turrets, and if you destroy one a win a mission where they appear and it’s the kind of mission where you clear the map instead of evacuating your guys after accomplishing the objective, you can take the wrecks back to base like any other enemy corpse, study them, and learn to build a facility that lets you deploy your own on base defense missions.

The problem is that turrets only appear on certain tile sets so actually getting the type of mission where you both kill a turret and are able to bring it back might not happen during a play through. Also, if you do get a mission where a turret appears, and you kill every mobile enemy and complete the objective without seeing it, you don’t collect the turret wreck. Really annoying if you’re a completionist.

Aren't turrets always guaranteed to spawn on the missions involving stealing resources from trains? When I played it, there was always a train car or two before the flatbed cars that had turrets on top of them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Almost right, but not quite; 2's Emperor was at most lightly armored (although he's not one of the heavies), and who 3's villain is is debatable, but neither of the contenders even wore shirts! (also 3's villain rep, Cloud of Darkness, is one of the heavies despite that)

And one is just a sentient tree! Though all that means is that Exdeath would float on water instead of sinking to the bottom. Trees are still heavy as hell.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I recently got back into Risk of Rain, it's still a great game that, when I die, I'll just shrug and give it another go, at worst being a little miffed that I died on a run where I had a fun combination of upgrades going.

Except for the Magma Worm. gently caress that loving gently caress back to the loving hell it originated from.

So in Risk of Rain, each "stage" is randomly chosen from two different levels for each stage. Each level pulls a boss from a list of 3 when you activate the teleporter to go to the next stage. The Magma worm can show up as a boss on each level for the first... 3? stages, it's a long worm comprised of 20 different parts who dives underground for about 5 seconds, dives straight up out of the ground (you're told where he's coming up), and then dives at you, with enough tracking that at the base speed for most characters, he will hit you.

It's just an infuriating fight against an enemy who spends half of the fight off the map or high enough out of the ground that you may not be able to hit him before he dives again, and who has only slightly less HP than the bosses who stay on the screen constantly.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just going to say the Stability/Instability meter in Warhammer: Total War 2. I have two armies, one is off trying to smack down my political rivals and is on the other side of the continent, while the main one is licking its wounds from colonizing the last few provinces I needed to claim a region. Oh, the beast men show up and start pillaging? Great, give me a couple of turns so I have an army and I'll go punch them in the face. Oh, you got pissed off that my leader left the city to go punch them in the face and now a rebel army has popped up next to my lord? I'm doing my nation a favor by killing you ungrateful chucklefucks. Thanks for the free exp, jerks.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I haven't played MGSV past the intro hospital level, but is Quiet the lady that gets soaked in alcohol and lit on fire in the intro? I imagine the reason she doesn't talk is because she would sound like someone's 80 year old, pack-an-hour granny (actually, that sounds absolutely hilarious and now I'm pissed Kojima didn't do that).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, considering that after a point, dragons will just show up and begin attacking you no matter where you are, "the theme is dragons" is kind of apt. Honestly, if they had leaned more into it, it probably would have made the guilds better. Mages guild? Get them researching spells to kill dragons. Fighters guild? They start to focus on how to kill dragons. Assassin's guild? Well, okay, the thieves guild and them can just keep doing what they do, but you get my point. Instead, its pointless naval gazing while the new students have to keep walking around the rotting dragon corpse that's sitting in the middle of the guild because it's not like literal dragons are a threat or anything.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I use Steam and GoG Galaxy myself. I know awhile back GoG had a thing where you could import games available on both GoG and Steam to GoG that you owned on Steam (and viceversa) which was a nice idea. It's just a shame that GoG won't let me import my entire steam library, GoG Galaxy is so much more convenient to browse through that Steam is if I don't remeber the name of a particular game that I want to play again.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

If the game treated The Flagship as a Bonus Boss I think it would of eased the blow a lot. Like, huzzah you got the info to us we can win at great cost! But are you a bad enough dude to beat the boss yourself?!

Doesn't the game itself treat the flagship as a bonus boss when it comes to unlocking more content? I thought most of the ships were "Reach X sector/Reach the final sector to unlock", and nothing required you to actually destroy the flagship to unlock. I considered it a win if I made it to the last system, because you're not guaranteed to find the ship systems "needed" to stop the mothership.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

All he wants is to be the very best, like no one ever was. :(

It's a little weird, but I think the thing that makes me feel worse is that they've started giving your rival the starter your pick is strong against, rather than weak against. That made a bit of sense in Black/White and X/Y, where you had multiple rivals so they have one with the advantage and one with the disadvantage, but starting with Sun/Moon they started only having the one main rival be weak to you. So it doesn't really feel like you're constantly pitting yourself against someone who's a challenge, it just feels like you're kinda bullying a nice kid.

...oh god, I just realized.

We're not Ash anymore. We've become Gary.

At least in Sword and Shield, the first fight against the rival has him using two Pokemon against your starter. Fucker deserves the asswhooping after that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Barudak posted:

Nah mate, we're Silver

Can we be Green instead? I want to swindle other trainers out of their hard-earned money and then escape on a Jigglypuff that actually lives up to his Balloon type moniker. Pokemon Adventures is hilariously odd in all the right ways.

Actual thing dragging down Pokemon Sword and Shield: no Jigglypuffs. Also, I can't dress up a psyduck as a cultist like Build-a-Bear did.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Exactly. They could have had a lot of fun with the irony that a mass of sapient toxic cells was a better brother than the real Alex Mercer.

My personal headcanon is that Alex survived the events of Prototype and had fled the city before Virus-Mercer woke up, and Alex Mercer is the real villain of Prototype 2 while Virus-Mercer is off somewhere else just pretending to be a human. After all, there's nothing in the game disproving that. And I refuse to believe otherwise.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tunicate posted:

also in gen 1 ghost type would always miss psychic instead of being super effective

giving things poison type I THINK was supposed to be a bit of a boost because it made you immune to poison status, but the weakness to psychic really ended up screwing over everything that had it, including basically all grass types

Wasn't poison supposed to be the original "this pokemon is eeeeevil" signifier if it wasn't also part plant, and why so many rocket grunts had poison pokemon?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, I thought you were supposed to get by it by chucking grenades down the central shaft, so the tentacles retract (hurt? Hunting at their base? gently caress if I know) run a bit down the path, and repeating every time they came back up.

We are talking about the three tentacle claw... things, right? In the rocket testing area?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That ammo exists in some form in ME2, despite it being so plentiful that I don't think I ever ran the risk of dropping below half, let alone out.

Honestly, I think I only ran out of ammo on my heavy weapons, but considering that some of them were things like "Here is a one-shot nuke that will kill everything except the last boss in one hit, and will almost kill the last boss, even on the higher difficulties", it's kinda understandable that they would limit how many times you can slam on the "I win" button.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Used to be? I've played some games that came out in the past 5 years that still had C as crouch. How the hell did that even start as a thing? "So I've got my index and ring finger on D and A, my middle finger for W and S, thumb is on the space bar, and my pinky for the shift key. Oh, that leaves my 6th finger located on my wrist for the C key!"

Even more so the games that used C for crouch and had you hold the key to crouch at the same time. I'm scared to see the hands of the developers who thought those were good ideas. At least "C toggles between crouching and standing" I can kinda understand.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The final boss of Project Warlock. The game was good-to-decent up to the last chapter or two, the tank boss was dumb and easy compared to the others, but the last boss is where I threw in the towel. 5 forms that I've seen, each one a damage sponge and the last two also spawn more enemies for you to fight, some of whom can also spawn more enemies on top of that. Also, some of the hit boxes are janky, and weapons that use projectiles can pass right through his upper torso and head.

Just a painful, drawn out fight that goes on at least two forms longer than it needs to.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So not really dragging the game down per say, but Axiom Verge 2 ends right when it feels like the game's plot is actually starting. Sure you stop the rogue Arm that stole your body, but the Lamassu does literally nothing, you've just briefly seen two other worlds, one full of closed doors just begging to be explored, and it ends right when Indra makes a promise to the Arm that stayed with her to get him a body of his own. I know that the implication is that she eventually becomes Ophelia in Axiom Verge 1, but... there's still a lot of plot to explore between the two games.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I just started Super Robot Wars V and there are a couple of things dragging it down.

1)I can't find a way to check what some inherent skills do, or what the stats actually affect
2) There is an ever-present dread that either one of my pilots and their mech are going to leave, making upgrading the mech pointless and penalizes letting the pilot get kills, or that the mech is going to get an upgrade but the game doesn't transfer the upgraded stats to the new mech.

I don't know how much of that was an issue in past SRW games, or just an irrational fear from other JRPGs that pull that poo poo that make me want to avoid investing anything into the pilots or their mechs.

Oh, and a minor issue that will probably be solved later on: the enemy planes are just as durable as the enemy mechs. The series is Super ROBOT Wars, not Super PLANE Wars. Let me one-shot the planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

It should be under "Search" I think it is? One of the menu options just shows you every skill, trait and passive in the game. Or at least most of them and tells you what they do. It's not always perfect though. This Site might help, it's generally a good SRW resource.

I found the page you're talking about, but it lists most skills as "????" for now (I guess because potential spoilers?) and it lists Newtype now, but it didn't when I checked it on an earlier mission. I guess the flag to show the skill in that list updates after the mission I checked it on. I also figured out how to actually check the skills on the stat page, it seems to just require being on a specific page in the character stats for it to allow you to check the skills. Good game, and unless they actually change the controls in T, X and 30, I should be good on that end now.