Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Was it Blow who kept saying for months after the game came out that no one understood the deeper message behind the game all while everyone was saying "It's a metaphor for the pursuit of the atomic bomb, isn't it?" and then he eventually admitted that's all the deeper message was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

That reminds me of the absolutely buck wild control scheme that the Pirates of the Carribean game had on PC. Left click to move forwards, right click to move backwards, spacebar to attack, enter to open the quick command menu. It was like somebody trying to invent a M+KB control scheme from first principles :psyduck:

:catstare:

I want whoever came up with this feverdream of a design dragged out into the streets and locked into stocks for public mockery.

That's a punishment from pirate times, right?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I mean, Valve also marked every surface that can be portal-ed by making it white. Though that did come to a neat climax in the second game as a result.

Things dragging games down: That they did that in Portal 2, making it impossible to make a Portal 3. How the gently caress do you top that as a climax?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

One of the most cringe levels in video game history. The native "savages" are just defending their territory with Spears and you, a British person, are tasked with machine gunning them dead for this offense.

"Listen, if they didn't want the British coming along and taking all their ancestral relics, maybe their ancestors shouldn't have made them centuries ago."- The British for a long time

I've started playing Soul Nomad on the Steam Deck, and the lack of ability to save during room inspections is dragging the game down when you can't see what the next floor is. I know it's a "press your luck" style mechanic, and I'm an idiot and forgot save states exist, but it's still dragging the game down, and I'm a giant manchild who refuses to take the blame for my own actions :colbert: just bummed out that I lost several hours of grinding.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

There is a line in the original 1930's Mummy film, where one British archeologist is bitching that the Egyptian government only allowed them to excavate the pyramid and help fund the expedition if the relics stay in Egypt. This was played perfectly straight by one of the protagonists without a shred of irony.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Saturday afternoon fashion shows on CTV with models wearing sheer tops.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, if you have a big enough pool of HP, you could probably just tank the heart surgery damage. Greataxes deal 1d12 damage, scalpels deal 1d2 or 1d3 (going by 3.5 rules, apparently scalpels aren't a thing in 5th?)... one good, solid hit with the greataxe to split the ribcage, a grapple check to make sure it's clear, then, what, 5 or 6 scalpel cuts to cut the heart out? No reason why it shouldn't be survivable if you have 60 hp. Sure, a Cleric may need to boost your Con first if you're a bit squishier, and they may need to apply a few Cure light wounds spells during the procedure, but I don't see why people are dragging Necromancers into this.

... what? Why are you all staring at me like that?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

All games should have exactly 10 firearms in them, mapping to the number keys. You carry all of them at once.

:wrong:

As many weapons as possible as long as they're creative, but each category shares the same ammo pool amongst its weapons, so I can carry the pistol *I* want, the machine gun *I* want, the gimmicky weapon *I* want... none of this "Oh, you like the Drunk Missles? Well gently caress you the level designers forgot it existed, here's 2000 rounds for the missile launcher you like the least. Better stop holding on to your favorite guns, you'll never see ammo for them."

Say what you will about the Far Cry games, but at least they let me use the guns I want.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... but I actually like the bow :smith:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm not sure if this is something for this thread or the "PYF little things" thread, but here goes:

I started playing Yakuza Kiwami finally. Majima was introduced. That's it.

I think that cutscene gave me actual whiplash...

Do I get to hurt him? Please say yes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

kazil posted:

lol "will I get to fight Majima in Yakuza Kiwami?" buddy you don't even know

:neckbeard:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

This is far and away one of the stupidest design decisions I’ve heard in a long time.

On the one hand, it's dumb as hell. On the other hand, it's nice to see developers acknowledge that if a game is popular enough, people WILL start poking around in the code to see what was cut or missed, and hiding an entire class behind data-diving is pretty novel. If nothing else, it's a decent way to stir up conversation and maybe get a few more sales a few weeks or monthes after launch.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics do not take place in the same timeline or universe as any Bethesda Fallouts and New Vegas is the weird bridge between worlds. 76 exists in its own dimension also, where nothing matters and everything is bad.

edit: no wait there were Supermutants in Tactics also for some reason. HOW DID A DYING RACE OF MUTANTS WITH NO WAY TO MAKE MORE MUTANTS MAKE IT ALL THE WAY TO CHICAGO AND ESTABLISH ANYTHING THERE

Whatever do you mean? We were even told in Fallout 2 that Super Mutants are able to reproduce, it just took some time for the juices to get flowing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

What the goddamn holy hell are you talking about

You can ask Marcus, the super mutant companion about super mutants being sterile and he says "Nope. Well, not now. It takes a few years after bein' dipped to get the juices flowing again. Why?"

Chris Avellone later on said it was just Marcus loving with the player, but it's never made clear in the game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

That's a weird way to spell "Legends: Arceus"

:hmmyes: It DID let me personally inflict blunt-force head trauma on the pokemon myself...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CordlessPen posted:

Was it really? As a non-Pokemon-player all I heard at release was that it was uglier than Arceus while also running more poorly, super buggy and had fewer Pokemons than earlier titles.

It can be all those things and still the best since Gold. Then again, I'm pretty sure all those complaints have been leveled at every pokemon game since Gold anyways, so :shrug:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

But I also feel like it's a little strange to imply Aladdin's gliding in a licensed SNES platformer is being borrowed by BOTW (open world exploration survival) having a hang glider. A thing that exists IRL.

Especially when Bubsy came out first.

I really don't know why people don't just acknowledge the original hang glider in Takeshi's Challenge.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Why is that so unbelievable? They're just letting you know that the Demon is Souls. Maybe a sequel to Baba is You.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

This isn't video game related, it's board game related (or more specifically, print-and-play fan content for board games), but I can't find a PNP thread to bitch about this in.

Someone made an Alice in Wonderland fan campaign for Arkham Horror: The Card Game. Mrs Randalor loves Alice in Wonderland and I have plenty of cardstock on hand. Except all the card images are individual .jpgs instead of easy-to-print .pdfs. Fantastic for getting printed professionally, terrible for printing yourself. I spent several days trying to figure out a way to get the cards into a convenient way to print double-sided cards, and... it turns out there's a program that can do it quickly and easily for you. Nothing I read before this morning mentioned this program, even BoardGameGeek's pnp megathread didn't mention it, but apparently it's common knowledge.

Just... incredibly infuriating and I needed a place to vent.

Edit: The program is called nanDECK.

Randalor has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Apr 24, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

woke kaczynski posted:

So are you not telling us the name of it as a bit or

The program is called nanDECK, no idea how it actually works as far as doing your own PNP stuff. I meant to include it in my post, but work interrupted me and I forgot to add it in.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

William Shatner’s TekWar

... I'm pretty sure making someone play through the Cyberspace portion of TekWar constitutes a human rights violation. Actually, I'm pretty sure making someone play TekWar at all constitutes a human rights violation.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

aardwolf posted:

Does Tron 2.0 count? Obviously it's not a terribly realistic setting, but it does show an interesting world with it's own consistent internal logic and themes.

I liked Tron 2.0 and the way it expanded on the computer world of the film. And then Disney did their damnedest to pretend the game never existed and gave us Legacy instead (and also cancelled Uprising after 1 season! :argh:)

Things dragging games down: the IP holder pretending a game never existed.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

You got to use a Light Cycle control rod as a weapon! By snapping it in half and stabbing people with it! And it's a common use for it! Also I think it also becomes the LOL.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

Super Hot had a story?

Something about brainjacking people, and killing yourself at the end? The VR Super Hot was pretty cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lucky & Wild came out in 1993, I'm pretty sure there were a decent amount of anime from the 80's that did the whole "police detective firing a gun while driving/trying to drive while their partner fires" thing.