Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Enemies teleporting in behind my party in Dragon Age: Origins. I go through the effort of clearing out an area, only for another group of enemies to appear in a puff of smoke as soon as I start to leave.

Never play the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

kazil posted:

Romance options in pretty much any video game are really, really awkward.

Kotor 2 had pretty good romances. If you treat Visa Marrs nicely when you first meet her, Kreia will warn you about getting intimate with her. One of your possible responses is "Just because I saved her doesn't mean I want to charge up her loading ramp!"

:allears:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Really you should be listening to Yellow Fever anyway.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

Thats probably because the only reason to go to westside is a companion quest.

And i hate you for not helping arcade until your third playthrough.

You monster.
There's also some NCR sidequests in that area but yeah that area can be a little anemic for reasons to be there.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Telltale makes great games but their tech is a little lacking.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Missing Link DLC for Deus Ex, while having nice atmosphere and highlighting the darker side of the whole augmentation business, plays loving awfully. Unfortunately it's firmly integrated in the Director's Cut of the game. Doesn't just come with it, but is part of the storyline and can't be skipped. I'm probably never going to play Deus Ex again once I'm through just because of that bit, and it's a pity because I really enjoy the game otherwise. I think I'd rather deal with generic FPS boss fights using weaponless stealth Adam than go through Missing Link again.

You really won't want to play it again after that last level augh. Unless they changed it in the Director's Cut edition.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm really glad marlow briggs is not very long. Because it likes to crash on me for no apparent reason, no error, no nothing.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Fallout 4 really needs horses.

They sucked in skyrim, I don't know how they would make fallout any better.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Not taking forever to walk places you haven't found?

In vanilla Skyrim the horses are incredibly slow.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

re: Fallout and Cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrH16kB9sro

:allears:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

You don't lose cops in sleeping dogs. You ram them into oblivion.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Payday 2 made back it's development costs back through pre-orders, if I remember correctly. So yeah, no excuse.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Do they? I mean maybe the placement of those lights on the breasts are pretty suspect, but I don't see a intricately modeled vagina.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Doctor Bishop posted:

Counterpoint: Lucifer in Dante's Inferno. :nws: of course

Also, The Lost and The Damned's Congressman Stubbs :nws:

Pretty sure Rockstar got around that because Lost and The Damned counted as DLC.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I played all the way through Max Payne 3 a while ago but I honestly could not tell you anything about it. So distinctly unmemorable.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The first two were fun and technically impressive at the time but the "noir as written by people who have never actually watched noir" writing is pretty bad. It just came out during the time when gamers were clamoring for games to be mature and gritty and cinematic so they ate that poo poo up.

The writing was never anything great but at least it was better than Max Payne 3.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SourceElement posted:

I have to use a 3rd party program to force the PC port of Metal Gear Rising to 1920x1080 and 60hz because I use HDMI to connect my monitor to my video card. If I don't, the UI thinks that it's a much larger resolution, and the refresh rate drops down to less than half of what it should be. Without that program running, I get a headache from playing for five minutes.

Also because the refresh rate is so hosed over HDMI, a weird form of "burn in" occurs where the codec menu gets half-overlaid on top of my monitor for about an hour or so, even after the game is closed.

I'd say that the game's inability to work properly over an HDMI cable makes it a mediocre port at best.

I think people have different definitions of what a good port is. Like I don't have MGRR (...yet) but I've put up with worse things to play a game I like.

For me a bad port is one that is completely incapable of working on my computer in any fashion.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

swamp waste posted:

There were characters in the original version of Street Fighter 4 that had to be unlocked by beating singleplayer with every other character. Imagine being the guy who has to unlock everyone on every console for a big tournament like EVO or something. It'd be like those cartoons where Porky Pig smokes a cigarette and suddenly gets dragged down to cigarette hell and forced to smoke 1000 cigarettes

Can you not just take the save off the first console and share it amongst every other one?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

And those folks and their strokes are wrong <:mad:>

Not every game can be New Vegas and I am okay with that. :unsmith:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Paper Diamonds posted:

No controller support for the PC version of Mass Effect 3.
:shepicide:

None of Bioware's recent games have had controller support on the PC. Pretty sure the last one to have support was Jade Empire.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I still feel like Rockster just don't understand the sandbox genre

I feel like Ubisoft has fallen into this hole too. rear end Creed 2 and Brotherhood were great games but jesus christ rear end Creed 3 was so bad.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm sure everything there is to be said about Dead Rising has been many, many times over. I've still tried to go back to it again though, after having recently enjoyed an LP of it.

I just forgot how ruthless it is! I don't mind the cheesy story and acting, but I kind of just want Dawn of the Dead: The Game (being a big fan of the original movie despite its ham-fisted elements). It has a ton of neat and fun ideas in this respect, but it's hampered by a bizarre save/life system and the notoriously bad survivor AI ("Frank! FRANK!!!"). I remembered after playing yesterday that it can be helpful to give all your survivors guns, so they don't mindlessly charge into crowds of zombies, so I might try that later... or I might just plough through zombies in the underground tunnels until Frank becomes marginally useful!

It feels particularly rough that the first real survivors you encounter are in the narrow Al Fresca Plaza, which is almost always brimming with zombies. To make matters worse, you're likely to get to them just as HE AIN'T MY BOY BUT THE BROTHER IS HEAVY starts appearing in the central park area.

I'm sure there are harder games, but I'm just not that hardcore, man. :(

Maybe try picking up Dead Rising 2: OTR? The AI and general gameplay is a lot better.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I would advise regular DR2 over OTR, in DR2 the survivors where tanks and could be left alone, they could also free themselves, in OTR they have less health and cannot free themselves requiring more babysitting.

Really? I thought it was the other way around. Whatever OTR has Sandbox mode so you don't even have to bother with stupid survivors.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Lotish posted:

A lot of games have a problem with playing coy about their plot twists when they're really obvious hours in advance.

I didn't really clue in at the beginning but when they finally brought her back my reaction was "oh hey you're alive, huh"

That's another problem video games have I guess, telling you to be sad about losing some character when you've only known them for 10 seconds.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Jaramin posted:

The "an alien is talking" sound clips from KOTOR make me turn off the sound whenever I need to have a long conversation with one. I would rather sit through a million badly animated conversations with real words than hear AGGABAGAWAHHH on repeat ever again.

Really glad they threw that out when they did Mass Effect, immersion be damned.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

You can mod that bullshit with all sorts of bells and whistles but in the end it is still bullshit.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Less Fat Luke posted:

Divinity: Original Sin and Shadowrun Returns were pretty well regarded.

Shadowrun was a little more mixed I thought. But then they went and released Dragonfall which was fantastic.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Sep 20, 2014

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

The ending and the script in general for Sleeping Dogs went completely to pieces due to a lack of time/funding in finishing the game. A lot of people here kind of brush that under the rug for whatever reason, but it's definitely a major weakness of the game.

The DLC is all terrible and answers nothing. Do not buy it.

Ignore this person, the DLC is good and most of it is worth picking up. None of it really expands on the main game's story though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah I actually hate Vanilla Skyrim but I adore modded skyrim. Admittedly I often get bored after decking my game out with all sorts of bells and whistles but them's the breaks.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Piell posted:

It's on the loading screen. It works out pretty great.

Human Revolution had this too, IIRC.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Literally the only thing dragging it down is that you can miss out on the :krad: lyrical version of Sundowner's boss theme if you play it too well.

I managed to do his fight properly the second go around and man, what an awesome song. :allears:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

khwarezm posted:

How do you put 51 hours into a game you hate? Two whole days!

I have 219 hours in skyrim, a game I hate. I blame mods.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

I think the big Les Miserables movie from a few years ago is why a bunch of games coming out now have musical numbers since games love to copy whatever is big in movies at the time.

That sure doesn't make any sense because dragon age origins came out long before the les mis movie.

That scene in inquisition isn't nearly as bad as origins, so I'll give it a pass. I am also thankful there are no intensely awkward sex cutscenes, another thing that origins had and inquisition does not.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Revenge driven storylines are very mature and will not be found in sub-YA novels, as it takes a mature man to truly understand the intricacies of getting back at someone who hurt you.

Hell of a lot more engaging then Fallout 3. If you don't like the main plot in New Vegas you can straight up ignore it, you don't have to meet benny.

scarycave posted:

I don't think it would be so bad if it had multiplayer that wasn't purely online.
Because than you'd actually be able to use multiplayer mode.

Really bugs me when you get a game that you think its multiplayer, so you go to play it with someone else, and it turns out its online only.

The reverse is so annoying. Let me play spelunky online mossmouth, cmon.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Dec 28, 2014

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

This is true of pretty much every open world RPG Bethesda has ever made though. In fact it's usually good advice because the main quests are generally not the greatest (yes I'm including New Vegas).

No I mean there is a quest line written into the game that straight up ignores benny. The NCR path, for the record.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm really impressed that you have managed to go through life not knowing who Marquis De Sade was. :allears:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

This is a pretty bold claim (nws)

Sera is the worst person in the game so she doesn't count.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Xander77 posted:

It's actually the Brotherhood to rear end Creed 2.

The camera in Wasteland 2 is so goddamn clumsy and awkward and lumbering. I rather think a fixed camera position would have been easier and forced the team to put more of an emphasis on aesthetics (poo poo is UGLY in this game)

I'm kind of stunned how ugly the game is. Shadowrun Returns managed to look good on a smaller budget.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

One of them is a kickstarter game that mysteriously stopped being updated after receiving the kickstarter money and without saying anything (don't remember if it ever came back or not),

Stomping Land?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Prison Architect is pretty swell. So is Kerbal Space Program.

really you just have to accept that video games are kind of awful for most of their development period and hope the developer actually finishes the game they set out to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I played a warlock in Neverwinter Nights 2 and never wanted to take off my starting armor. Needless to say, didn't work out. (Kind of a bad example though because you can craft any armor into something that dwarfs any existing equipment and warlocks are the god-kings of crafting, but then I never got that far into it.)

Isn't there a mod that let's you swap the armor to whatever you want and keep the stats?