Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Blacklist is a good game but it has a very very bad story. It makes me wish they hired obsidian to write.

really I just want alpha protocol reactivity with splinter cell gameplay, please get on that ubisoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Esroc posted:

Also, the Breakdown DLC is kind of pointless. All it does is turn off the story, but you still go through the same motions that you do when playing story mode. So really it's just a $7 toggle to turn off exposition.

It's pretty good if you ignore the story mode because the story mode is garbage.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Just play Resident Evil 4 6.

:colbert:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Don't ever suggest anyone play RE6.

Play RE6 Mercenaries and ignore the main campaigns. :colbert:

edit: I'm not suggesting anyone play RE6 over RE4, by the way. Play RE4 first, by all means.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

mycot posted:

I knew that a developer of Fallout New Vegas posts here sometimes, but I had no clue there was an elaborate Something Awful reference in the game. :psyduck:

There is at least two. Johnny and a Gauss rifle named after Your Console Sucks.

edit: it is okay to not like things but can we please not fight about not liking things

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

mycot posted:

I find it hilarious that people can be so thin skinned about people making mean comments about video games in a thread like this.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

This isn't the games fault, but I really like to play Rogue Legacy and Spelunky on PS4. The only problem? I'm terrible at them. The level design and the platforming aspects are perfect but i'm just not very good. It took me about 2 months of playing Spelunky to even get to the forest part or wherever and I can never get in more than a few rooms on Rogue Legacy. I just hate that the games are fun to play and everything but im just terrible at them.

I don't think the platforming in rogue legacy is all that good but maybe that's just me.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

This might be a big spoiler for some people so I'm gonna hide it behind some black bars.

As someone who has a sibling with autism and has been around people on every part of the autism spectrum, To The Moon's depiction of Aspergers was really goddamn awful. To The Moon seemed like a good concept to be absolutely ruined by awful writing across the board.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

I'm sorry to tell you this, but MGS4 is a complete piece of poo poo. Hopefully Kojima pulls his head out of his rear end for the next one.

Have a little goddamn sympathy rear end in a top hat.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I don't know why you're debating with me about it, I was agreeing with you by saying stasis is a good middle ground. The necromorphs move a LOT faster in 3 though as part of its final transition from horror to action so the autoaim in that one is a bit necessary. But then again, 3 isn't a very good game compared to the others!

I got around to playing 3 recently and your avatar finally makes sense.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I always love stories about parents playing video games. My dad got really into Mario 64 with me (my first game - didn't have any consoles or w/e until I was 6) and I remember him getting really into it. Like, we both took it in turns trying to beat the final boss and failing, until one morning I got up before school and wandered downstairs to find him sitting in the study with a huge mug of coffee feverishly attacking Bowser and going "I got the bastard, son, I finally got him". It was great! And then he had a heart attack a few days later but he beat Bowser so whatever.

Then the next game we got was Starfox 64 and he said all the colours and fast movements hurt his head and he never touched a videogame again.

Me and my dad were like this except with Ocarina of Time. Also my dad didn't have a heart attack after we beat it. :psyduck:

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Mar 2, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MindlessHavok posted:

RDR did the best with this. When normally walking/riding a horse, you're slower and faster than them, but you can press a button that will force you to keep pace with them. I loved that.

The rear end Creed games did this. Or at least Revelations is the last one I remember doing it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The only thing dragging this game down is the lack of a PC port.

THERE'S A PC PORT?!

There is. It's a little wonky though. The map goes completely bonkers if you go over a certain resolution if I remember.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

amityville anus posted:

The Saboteur is dragged down by how its kinda hard to find a copy of.

You can pick up a digital copy on Origin

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Tiggum posted:

The guards in Skyrim all saying the exact same lines. If there'd only been one voice actor for all the guards it would be understandable, but why didn't they modify the script a tiny bit for the different voices?

Because bethesda.

There are a couple of mods that fix it though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Len posted:

I just remember people joking the game would still be super buggy and this time there wouldn't be anyone to blame except Obsidian. Because it seems like for every other buggy game the release there's cries of "but it isn't their fault!"

The game came out yesterday. Please tell me of a game that has been absolutely 100% bug free on release.

Kalos posted:

There were cases like KotOR 2 where not only were they screwed by the publisher on release schedule, but actively prevented from putting the cut content into a patch or expansion after launch after launch, but I think a lot of that meme came from Dungeon Siege 3 with (like the first two non-Obsidian installments) was a game that, while technically playable, nobody loving cared about its existence.

South Park was pretty dang solid too.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Len posted:

No games. It just amuses me that the first thing about the game posted in here isn't some minor complaint it's that the game is causing BSOD.

Sorry I insulted Obsidian though.

It's okay, we'll delay your execution for questioning the almighty game developer.

Sardonik posted:

Everyone's piling on this guy but I'm gonna second what he's saying. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, it ain't. The controls feel sluggish and unresponsive, on KB+M or a controller.

Still might give both of them another shot sometime though. They are interesting, even if they both control and explain their gameplay functions about as well as Deadly Premonition.

DS2 has something called adaptability, pound that stat up and you will basically be back to what Dark Souls the First was.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Mar 27, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Boy goons sure do get worked up about tim schafer

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

If you're a game developer and you make one mistake, goons who once lauded you will go Two Minutes Hate on you in no time.

To be fair I hear a lot of very valid criticisms of the man and the games he makes but his games are so irresistibly charming. I also did not get burned by spacebase df9, which helps.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Gurumin is a cute game but It seems to run into the Falcom tradition of having long-rear end unskippable cutscenes.

caveat: I actually only own YS Origin and Gurumin but dang those cutscenes are just about the only thing I don't like about these games.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Apr 3, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I sort of like that tonal dissonance. It reminds me of the Metal Gear games.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nah wolfenstein is totally self aware. It's just taking a campy idea (nazis rule the world) and extrapolating on how horrifying that would actually be. It doesn't downplay the fact that they achieved that with giant robots and laser guns.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm also pretty sure the game wouldn't fly in germany if they actually had hitler in it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I enjoyed Fallout 3 because I grew up in the DC area. Also the Rock-it Launcher.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Alouicious posted:

i have played fallout new vegas for far more hours than should be allowed by law and have never had a problem with invisible walls, what the gently caress are you weirdoes trying to accomplish

Yeah I've never had a problem with invisible walls? Unless I accidentally modded them out.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

In general, roguelike mechanics are what drag a game down for me. Specifically the lack of saving and the "well, time to restart" stuff.

There's been handfuls of games where it looked appealing, only to find its a roguelike and I've avoided buying it just because I know that the game would wind up being abandoned because of it.

I've accidentally bought a roguelike before. :psyduck: It was Cargo Commander, which is actually a charming sort of game. Nothing really changes about the gameplay after 10 minutes though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Paper Diamonds posted:

Yes, also the singing sucks. Also its a musical number directly after a very dramatic event. Also I dont think there is any other singing in the game other than the dumb tavern bard.

It starts with one person singing and then some other terrible voice actors who have never met each other start singing from their sound isolation booths. And once all 8 of them start up, boy does it really hit me right in the ol' feels.

Here, "enjoy":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgYxMVRtJr4

The musical bit in Dragon Age Origins was worse, but it was also hidden away in a entirely optional conversation with leliana.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I haven't played Gat Out of Hell but one of the trailers was done entirely in song and it was amazing.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Trevor is sort of, almost, an interesting character... if he were in GTA 3 or Vice City, where everyone is a ludicrous comic book character.

In GTA 5 he has to run parallel to Franklin and Michael, who are actually pretty grounded and realistic characters, and GTA 5 is more grounded and less over-the-top than earlier installments, and it's just really weird and dissonant.

Not really? I'm about halfway through the plot and it feels way more over the top than GTAIV ever was. I never did finish the DLC though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Also because of his focus power I feel like I can cut loose more with Trevor more than any other character.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Or you can just kill the NPC's to get their rewards, usually the outfits they wear, which worked for me in Souls 1 and 2. :v:

I actually did the questlines eventually though, but killing them is far more funny.

Never kill Solaire. :colbert:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hunky Joe posted:

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Why are my allies so awful? I want so bad to try and enjoy this game or at least complete it but I can't stand the AI. I bought the game after my friends who played it for 300+ hours suggested it to me and it's just an awful game.

Varic stands there and just shoots, even when in melee range. So I decide maybe if I give him caltrops he'll use those and fall back with an advantage. Nope. Throws caltrops down and stands in them as a guy pounds on him.

Same with Mr.Clean or whatever that boring elf's name is. And the Robotic Russian Fembot woman is the worst tank ever. She run off randomly to attack stuff not even engaged to my party while we are fighting still killing the last group of monsters. They feel like horrible Guild Wars 1 companions with random skills placed on their hot bars. What happened to the Gambit system or whatever that Origins had? That was so loving good and I rarely ever had to babysit my team mates as much as I do in Inquisition. I feel like I am playing and MMO doing content with players who have never played an MMO and I have to remind them incessantly how to play.

They also rarely ever drink potions and pausing a fight every ten seconds to distribute potions is awfully boring. I have then set to drink at 50% and there are times I've watched them sit there at 25% spamming attacks instead. I set t to 75% and I run out of potions in a heartbeat.

I also had just killed a group of monsters and was looting stuff when I realized my allies had vanished. What the hell? Turns out they decided to take off running to kill that bandit King or whatever half a mile away without my consent. So I stormed after them, totally unprepared for a battle, and nearly died. Thanks guys!

I gave up last night when I told myself "If I get ONE more quest off a dead body I am turning this poo poo off..."

Oh hey a quest ahead maybe some guy will hand over a... Oh it's a dead body with another note... *turns off PS4*

gently caress this game. Origins was way better than this and I'd rather play through the Fade twice over than the Hinterlands once. Yeah I said it.:colbert:

Are you rolling with the default settings on companions? That's just gonna lead to frustration. You can prevent varic from using caltrops if you go into his skill settings. And you can force companions to come back to you with Disengage, in the tactical view. Dragon Age Inquisition has a lot of problems but once you know it's quirks it really isn't that bad.

On topic, I'm really enjoying Valkyria Chronicles but the entire format of the story kind of annoys me. You hit a button to watch a cutscene, then get kicked back to the book, hit another button, watch a cutscene, hit another button, finally maybe have an engagement. I think I get why they made the decision(game design wise) to deliver the story this way, but it still feels very clunky.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I've only ever been able to get into the modern GTAs because the previous games PC ports are all kind of awful. Well that and Bully.

Things dragging dragging games down: Awful PC ports

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

They're under character record, right after you hit the start button. I've never had that constant aggro problem but you could turn off the character AI if it's constantly happening

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

That was old Bioware, before they got bought out by EA and all the old guard jumped ship. If DA:I is any indication then instead of having a racist party member in ME4 everybody will be a perfect rolemodel of progressiveness and saying hurtful things to an alien will objectively be more evil than committing genocide.

Yeah, like Sera!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

That spaceship part early on in the game? I think they fixed that.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I really liked the mako and I'm bummed it didn't make it into the other installments. Bioware should port it into Dragon Age Inquisition for old times sake.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I did like the bit in ME3 where you're trying to explain how thermal clips work to a guy and he doesn't get it at all.

I also like the Mako. It's going to be back in some form in the next game, which is all I need to know tbh.

I liked Jacob's loyalty mission in ME2 because his dad apparently crashed landed 10 years before yet he has conspicuously modern technology (the thermal clips) which was invented only 2 years previously.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 17:10 on May 7, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Amorphous Blob posted:

Even worse was the combat set pieces. Tons of flat planes with waist high walls that can't possibly serve an ingame purpose except to hide behind and pop out of during firefights. It's been a while since I played the first game but I at least remember being able to hide behind a rock or something.

Also the loyalty missions in Mass Effect 2 made me feel like a highschool counselor. Everyones got dad issues except the guy who IS the dad issue.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

What exactly is "emergent gameplay" supposed to be besides a buzzword, anyway? Also nice grandpa post there, grandpa. :corsair:

Basically, non-scripted gameplay that the designer did not necessarily intend. That one guy who took manderley all the way through Deus Ex for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

So, shoddy programming?

Sometimes, yeah. Designers and programmers can't account for every stupid idea that comes to someone's mind.