Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Okami is a game I am very fond of but it feels like a very very long game to me because the pacing of the story is really really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Burnout Paradise Remastered is cool but I'm not actually a big fan of the game doing that photo thing with the driver's license.

I play games to escape, not to see my haggard face looking back at me :bahgawd:

Edit: Skyward Sword chat, it does probably have my favourite dungeons in the pre-botw world. Ancient Cistern and the Sandship were my favourites.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Apr 18, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I've started playing Final Fantasy VIII for the first time! Oh god it has the worst tutorials. And the worst part is that I know exactly how it happens, because as someone who writes documentation I know all too well the well-intentioned but misguided thought process that leads to this end result, because I have to stamp it out every month or two.

The way it explains junctioning and GFs* is a perfect example of people who knew the thing they've implemented needed an explanation, but were too close to it to realize what part specifically needed to be explained. So you get a wealth of text boxes outlining what every option in a menu does, but no actual context on why any of it's important or useful, and you probably need to review it a couple times because while they do give actually useful information, they embed it in a single text box about 70% of the way through.

*Also they drop 'GF' all the goddamn time without explaining what it means. That is a basic sin of writing, both informational and otherwise, but I don't care, because it makes so much of the dialog about them hilarious.

I think the tutorials manage to be heavy handed but also don't quite fully explain everything about the systems to play. GFs are Guardian Forces though, guardians are what you junction to your characters, which are basically summons from every final fantasy.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I liked plague knight a heck of a lot but I think the character worked best on the 3ds of all places. easier to swap to whatever you need when the inventory screen is right below the main one.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Just put the creepy realistic Sonic in Mortal Kombat 11

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The mismatch between the lip flaps in FFX bothers me! I know that this game was one of the first to have voice acted everything, especially in a big rpg, but still. Maybe it gets better later in the game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dewgy posted:

FFX’s dub is a very very special case because it’s such an early game of its scope. The whole game is built around the Japanese VO to the point where changing the length of any sound clip in the game would cause it to crash.

That’s why there’s weird moments like Tidus suddenly saying “withYunabymyside” like the end of a car commercial. They had to do some serious chopping to get everything to fit properly.

It wouldn't bother me as much if I could play Japanese voices with English subtitles for the remaster but nope.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Maybe, but it doesn't explain why everyone's houses are still covered in garbage and skeletons.

after 200 years the skeletons are an aesthetic choice.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I have no idea why everyone loves Haytham so much beyond "cool hat" and "not Connor". Dude might as well be named John Videogames for the section you play as him.

I think Connor was so bland that it made Haytham look good in comparison

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Chimera Squad is a fun game with cool ideas different from the core xcom gameplay but I'm bored of it. The problem is the content of the metagame stuff absolutely runs out before the end if you're totally on top of things. Then your dudes become insanely good but that makes the difficulty fall off a cliff so the game feels a little rote. The gameplay isn't paced well, essentially.

It was a lot of fun for 15 bucks though and I definitely got my money's worth!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The nice thing is that Switch games are so small compared to other systems so once you upgrade you never have to think about it again. I’m constantly having to juggle which games I have installed on my PS4 and to a lesser degree the Xbox, but I bought a 256 GB microSD card for the Switch and installed every game I own on it and I’m just over half capacity.

yeah even if you get a mutliplat game like doom, they'll be way smaller than their PC/PS4/Xbox versions. I would assume much of that is the texture work, some of it modelling optimization.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The trick to dead rising is to accept that people die and save them next time loop.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Byzantine posted:

I'm not saying people deserve that for playing GTAV, but I am saying that San Andreas still exists and is better in every single way.

Or Bully. I think that holds up better than GTA San Andreas I think.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Playing Sekiro Shadows Die Twice and I have trouble with bosses so I watch YouTube videos on how to win and it looks super easy but when I play the boss again it’s not super easy at all.

This is a problem I have with all games, everyone is super good at them except for me.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Good old Dara has never had anyone ask him what happens at the end of Inception or why Vincent is suddenly alive again at the end of Pulp Fiction.

That movie doesn't stop if you don't understand it's core themes was one of his points?

I wonder how Dara would like Celeste, given the extensive assist mode that game has.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What reboots rank as the most unnecessary?

DmC: Devil May Cry is still baffling in hindsight, though it was published by Capcom before Resident Evil VII. What people wanted was a bigger-budget DMC4 so that half the game wasn't a rehash. Instead they started over with a different studio:

• Dante is now a completely different character in both character and design. Take away his white-hair, cocky attitude, and replace him with a dark-haired punk who looks suspiciously similar to the game's director.

• Being weirdly hostile to fans of the previous games. Usually an installment in any franchise tries to welcome everybody, fans and newcomers. Metroid Prime didn't have a scene where Samus torches a copy of Super Metroid because 2D is old-fashioned.

• A layer of heavy drama and edgy social commentary that didn't exist in the original series. Focusing too much on the plot in Devil May Cry is like giving a poo poo about Columbo's personal life over his work.

• Didn't release at 60FPS on consoles.

• No lock-on, no taunts, and a binary weapon-system which made certain foes no-sell your weapons because they're the wrong colour.

The incredible thing about DmC is not the game itself but the studio went on to make Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice almost right after DmC. It's very good and not a game I would have thought to come from that developer.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The particle effects in borderlands 3 are pretty but they can get visually overwhelming very quickly.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

come to think of it Rockstar actually really never do make cutscenes where the characters drive or ride their horses, they always just stand around in scenery; and obviously this is because both a) the player will want to do their own riding and driving (if only so they get to make some decisions) and b) the cutscenes are all made in a greenscreen playground but it still seems a bit inconsistent with how obviously Rockstar want badly to be making movies.

Rockstar should make more games like Max Payne 3 where it's linear campaign from beginning to end. I would find it way lass frustrating then any of their games since GTAIV and they can make the movies they want.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

rodbeard posted:

poo poo I did not care about the conversations in GTA5 so I had to carry grenades everywhere to kill myself 3 times in a row to get the option to skip the driving part that was basically a cutscene and actually play the missions. The missions all sucked anyways. I've never listened to goon game recommendations ever again after playing GTA5.

I hated that but I felt that the game was padding itself out in between more interesting parts.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I kind of wish there was a mode in between hardcore and standard in Resident Evil 2 Remake. I enjoy the tougher enemies and whatnot but I keep putting myself into a unwinnable situation with the limited save options.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Fallout 4 is like a lot of Bethesda games in that it has countless brilliant ideas, but always whiffs the execution.

How would you improve the settlement metagame? Rip off the management minigame from Yakuza and Metal Gear Solid V, and give an interface that lets you remotely delegate tasks. Instead of having the player do boring random missions, just assign an NPC to do it. You would also have an overarching quest to give the system stricture and a point.

How would you improve the crafting? Less material types and they don't have carry weight. Bring back skills and have it so that your 50 points in Melee means you can duct-tape a knife to a baseball bat.

How would you improve the quest-log? Rip off the one from Horizon or Outer Worlds, which sorts the important ones like saving the world so they aren't mixed in with fetch quests like collecting antique dildos for a nostalgiac pre-war ghoul.

How would you improve combat? Don't cram into every goddamn quest and location.

Ah gently caress it, just give it to Obsidian or Arkane.

I'm not really sure what is stopping Microsoft from making the next Fallout game a collaboration between studios, since they own both Zenimax/Bethesda and Obsidian outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Rogue Legacy, First of his name is pretty grindy but I don't mind because the soundtrack is a banger.