Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Thoughtless posted:

Skyrim's inability to let you finish quests in any other way than the intended. The daedra quests often have you doing horrible stuff, and while I like being evil in games I don't like being forced into it

The Daedra are evil, though. If you want their horrible artifacts you have to serve them in horrible ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

J-Spot posted:

Instead Boethia possesses the corpse of one of the cultists, chastises me for killing all of her followers, and proceeds to give me the quest to bring her a human sacrifice anyway.

That actually sounds pretty in-character with Boethiah, but your point is valid anyway.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's still a retarded mechanic and Black Mesa was awful for it.

Actually Black Mesa was awful for several reasons but the utterly pointless crouch jumping was a key player.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Alteisen posted:

Tales of the Abyss is a very strange JRPG, I have never played an RPG where every single party member and some supporting NPC's are such irredeemable assholes, and somehow the main character who for all intents and purposes is a literal machild, is the least rear end in a top hat of them all.

I don't even know if I wanna keep playing this, I hate everyone involved so far.

Yeah, this is the funny thing. Everyone I asked prior to buying Abyss talked about how bad Luke was. What they failed to mention was how much worse everyone else was!

With that said, Luke is still really loving bad.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DStecks posted:

I could probably go on for hours about why GTAIV is an awful, awful game, but since this is supposed to be the "poo poo things about good games" thread, this probably isn't the place.

There's nothing saying this thread is about good games, duder. :justpost:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I feel like this thread had this very conversation on Dishonored ten pages ago.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's fair to say that Metal Gear strongly favors the stealthy approach though, just because of the infinitely respawning enemies when you're in Alert.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

kazil posted:

It's not even really that lazy. How many multiplayer games allow you to pause?

If not being able to pause prevents you from playing Dark Souls you are doing yourself a disservice.

Or you own a dog, or have a small child, or need to answer the door, or something else. Not being able to pause is loving rude.

e: If you're playing an explicitly multiplayer game, that's a different thing, but playing Dark Souls isn't really the same thing as a Call of Duty match.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you can quit to title at no cost whenever you like, why can't the game just have a pause feature? It's still dumb.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

kazil posted:

Why doesn't World of Warcraft let you pause?

Yeah that's comparable, good work champ.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Professor Wayne posted:

I leave it running all the time to do little things you guys are talking about like using the bathroom or letting the dog out. Enemies don't generally wander around the level, so you're perfectly safe to take Fido out for a few minutes. If you're scared about invaders, it takes about 10 seconds total to get to the main menu and back in your game.

"Doorbell rang while I was fighting this boss, do I quit, die, or ignore the door? :darksouls:"

I know goons loving fall all over themselves to defend Dark Souls (which is why the last thread barred talking about it) but really, sometimes real life intrudes and it would be nice to not be worrying about the game while I'm taking a piss or something. Yes it's a "multiplayer" game but comparing it to Call of Duty or World of Warcraft is loving retarded and disingenuous. It's more like Diablo 3, where if I start a game by myself, it's my instance of the game that other people can join in on. However, you can pause the game in Diablo 3 when you're by yourself and it's great because games should let you loving pause.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Heavy Lobster posted:

All I'm saying is that if you're the kind of well-adjusted person who prioritizes real life intrusions over game progress, it really shouldn't bother you that much if you lose minimal progress from death, let alone in a game where the penalty for dying isn't particularly harsh, and can even be circumvented entirely in a nontraditional way.

Apparently a lot of goons game out of a bathroom in Grand Central Station though because they're being constantly interrupted to the point of not being able to play a game without it being chopped up into dozens of pause-screen-separated sequences.

Actually, I own a dog, and she likes to be let out from time to time.

Heavy Lobster posted:

Slice of Life: I was in a bad place when I got into LoL and Dota 2, and would frequently put off social obligations until a match was over, as I thought it was rude to up and disconnect from a game. As I started reassessing my lifestyle habits and how I related to games, I realized that progress in a video game is less important than making sure your friends don't hate you, and that any frustration you may feel from losing some MMR is probably not as great as the frustration of your friends seeing their friend cloister themselves away into video game hell. Moral of the story: don't be a nerd shut-in and let a greater emphasis on real life things free you from the bonds of a few experience points or what the gently caress ever.

Can we be clear here? I'm not talking about sitting down for 45 minutes to play LOL or some equally entirely-multiplayer experience, I'm talking about a pause button in a sorta-singleplayer-sorta-not game. And this is the thread where we bitch about aspects of games. I like games, that's why I play them, but I like real life too and you can like both at the same time! There doesn't need to be a false dichotomy where you either ignore the door (or whatever) because you're too wrapped up in games to give a poo poo about reality, or I ignore the death (or whatever) because I'm too cool to actually care about games.

Yeah, most of the time you can safely just walk away from the game, but not all the time, and honestly, the argument that "well you can stop playing by quitting to title" is not a justification for not having a pause. Pausing is a convenience that has been around in video games for 30 years, it's reasonable to expect every game to have some sort of pause option and when a game like Dark Souls does it in a bizarre and pointlessly circuitous way like that, that's definitely a Thing Dragging This Game Down. Which is why it's being brought up in this thread.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't think anyone in this thread is advocating not buying Dark Souls, pause or not.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
One thing that both Darksiders games do is crib from popular games, and you can tell they do it because they're popular, and they don't have any real understanding of why they're done. Both games have a portal gun, for example, and you can really tell that they included it because Portal is a game that is popular. It's not really implemented in a thoughtful way, because you can only put portals in very specific spots. Also the game has a combo meter, even though it doesn't matter, the game doesn't grade you on your combos or anything, but they do it because Devil May Cry or whatever other brawlers they ripped the combat off of have combo meters.

Anyway, the Earth section of Darksiders 2 is clearly cribbed from Left 4 Dead, because that is a game that is popular, even though they have no idea what made that game good, and as a result that section of the game is really loving irritating and bad.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Two instances of game-down-dragging:

1) Particle effects. Yeah, fog and smoke look nice, but every computer I've ever had has chugged trying to handle particle effects. I'm convinced there is some conspiracy by Big Particle to include them in every game, despite them ruining every game's experience. I don't loving need to have pipes venting out steam at me! I'd rather have a smooth framerate, please lay off the heavy particle effects. Skyrim is a huge offender; I can handle the long viewing distances fine, but a tiny cave with fog on the ground cuts my framerate by two thirds.

2) loving fidgety-as-hell NPC animations. Look, humans don't normally do a hyper-caffeinated dance all the time every time you talk to them. They actually look at you, and just talk. DXHR is a real bad offender of this, but it's pretty much any game that has a lot of person-to-person communications. The animators grossly over-animate the NPCs.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

tuluk posted:

DXHR: the over-animation is to give you visual feedback on how the NPCs are reacting to what you say. plus DXHR has a entire augment system designed around the NPC dialogue reactions.

No I don't mean like that. There are specific instances where the NPC dialogue and mocap is extremely well-done (the early confrontation with Zeke Sanders is good, for example). But there are other times when their heads will just roll around and not look at you or anything else and it doesn't look even slightly right.

Also once you take the CASIE aug, all you do is loving look at the meter anyway so it doesn't even matter.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

No Such Thing posted:

The 'epilogue' of Prof Layton vs. Ace Attorney. I recognize that these types of games always rely on ridiculous plot twists, but they hyperextended into silly and dumb range and the entire ending is a never-ending stream of unbelievable deus ex machinas as they try to wrap up a story that clearly got away from them.

I got annoyed when they started the "epilogue" halfway through the last trial.

But yeah the ending is super terrible, and mostly it's because they dump all of the plot twists on you at pretty much the same time rather than slowly feeding it to you. Because at least then you could see it coming. No, magic isn't real, that's silly. What isn't silly is that Labyrinthia is a government-funded project by a mega-corporation to study mind control and advanced medicines and mass hypnosis, and that the hypnotized people can't see the color black, and everyone falls unconscious when they hear pure silver chiming, and that nobody ever just walked into the giant loving invisible machines everywhere or the belltower in the middle of the goddamned town square.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
As someone who has never played an MMO, what the heck is attunement?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I dunno, I can see people considering "adventuring" to be like the philosophy majors of their time. Like, you're not some idiot pothead wandering around aimlessly with a tinfoil sword, you're an Adventurer!

Just because one dude chucked a magic ring into a volcano doesn't justify everyone else doodling around Gondor hoping to scrounge up enough cash to order a pizza.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Incomprehensible nonsense is kind of Bungie's modus operandi. Ever since Marathon they've had lots of backstory and tertiary exposition that makes no loving sense.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Diablo 3 1.0's loot system still takes the cake for the most ball-bustingly miserable, though, because the game itself was also almost completely unplayable.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dr Christmas posted:

The one problem with Diablo 3's new loot system is that if you're a sad person who plays by himself like me, you won't get gear for the AI followers with different primary stats than you.

That problem is alleviated when you realize that your follower's damage output is absolutely irrelevant regardless of if the stats line up.

My Templar rolls with Intelligence gear all the way down but he's tossing out pulls and debuffs left right and center. His attacks don't actually move the enemy's health meters at all, but that's not what I drag him along for.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Borderlands 2 suffered from a different problem, in that there wasn't really anything to be gained from leveling up, on top of the enemy stat inflation getting ridiculous on the higher difficulties. Finding the loot wasn't impossible (although it certainly was tedious); the problem is that your loot became obsolete as soon as you dinged and all the enemies scaled up to your new level. In Diablo 3, the loot just didn't exist.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cleretic posted:

For once I'd just like to see a loot-based game that gives you ways to extend the 'lifespan' of your gear. If you get a really good weapon early in Borderlands 2 (which I did, with my assassin getting a purple-rank rapid-fire sniper rifle with incendiary bullets), then you're probably going to feel weaker and weaker as you level up and that gear doesn't hold up, and you don't get a good replacement.

It doesn't have to be that it's always just as useful, either, I could see great value in having a way to expend some resources to make your old weapon a little bit better as a band-aid solution while you look for a good replacement.

As these things usually go (for ARPGs), a mod solved this problem really well. Median XL is a super-cool mod for Diablo 2 and all the loot from levels 1 to 120 were issued in ranks. So like, halfway through the first playthrough you'd be using rank one gear, then rank two gear would start dropping, and so on up to rank six. But aside from the ranks, the gear was all the same, and all the special unique items were the same (just with bigger numbers), and there was a moderately expensive way to rank up your gear rather than hope you find a higher-ranked version of the item you already have.

Once you hit level 120, super-special "sacred" rank items started dropping that was separate from the numbered ranks, and you couldn't upgrade to that because they were entirely different, but you only needed those for the ultra-hard dungeons.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Ryoshi posted:

Have you ever played another Metroid game, ever? They are all kinda floaty.

Y'know, 'cuz space.

That's bogus. The GBA Metroids have extremely snappy and awesome controls.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Judge Tesla posted:

As much as I like Destiny, the large gaps between content is really dragging the experience down, saying "it'll get better, just give it time, I promise" can only go so far since many people will just move on to other games by then.

People played Diablo 3 for like two years before it got better, though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

QuietLion posted:

For actual content, I picked up Gauntlet on Steam, and the Act I floors where you run from Death isn't fun. It's not hard to outpace him, but when you play as a melee character you have to rely on any ranged attacks you have over melee swings since you're basically locked in place when you swing your weapon. So those floors are just way more tedious than hard. Also those stupid ghosts that spawn infinitely are obnoxious.

The Death levels own because you're supposed to play it in multiplayer and spend the entire time screen trapping your partners.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

muscles like this? posted:

An annoying thing about Diablo 3 is how the stats don't really make a lot of sense. You can look at two items and the first one will have higher bonuses but somehow give you worse stats. You're basically stuck relying on the simplified up/down arrow system. Also, playing the UEE version, I'm not sure I like the changes to the crafting system that requires more materials to do certain items.

Noooooo don't do this. Affixes that have an orange dot next to them aren't figured into stat calculations because they're basically conditional bonuses. So if you have an item that gives you 20% more fire damage but -10% damage overall, but you use a lot of fire abilities, it's still an improvement.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Arvak is absolutely the best. Oh, he fell off a cliff and died? Whatever, summon him again.

If you put a perk point in Apprentice Conjuration you can summon him for just under the default 100 magicka, too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Marathon had separate factions, too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

scarycave posted:

If you game over in Smash Bros. it lowers your difficulty.
I was okay with the hand holding in 3D world because you could choose, but here its more of a penalty along with losing coin/score.

It is exactly meant as a penalty. Harden up and don't die.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Skyrim is a fun but deeply flawed game. At its core, it's a really great world to explore and wander around and there is a ton of poo poo to do, even if most of it is banal.

e: I have put in 505 hours into Skyrim since I got it on release day.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Rickycat posted:

I actually felt the same with Oblivion. I couldn't stand vanilla Oblivion but after the ~10GB of mods I got from the megathread voila! It was fun.

I guess that's one prop I give Bethesda. They all but say "You will most likely not like the game sell you as-is but hey Elder Scrolls has an amazing modding community!"

I've always interpreted it more as Bethesda saying, "hey, we don't make great games, but here's the framework and the resources and the voice acting and the tools, gently caress it we already got your $60 so do what you want."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The first person camera is what sets TES apart from most other games of the type, and I think the immersive nature of the games (which is absolutely something they're very strong at) would really be hamstrung by a third person angle.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah you almost definitely want SPERG. The Skyrim modding thread is a pretty good resource.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

StandardVC10 posted:

A stealth-parkour combination might work if you nailed down a system where the easiest way out of an alert was to jump and climb away from guards' sight (and that was clearly conveyed to the player.)

So, predator rooms in Arkham Asylum?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Who What Now posted:

Augh! I actually was starting to like this game and now I've hit a bullshit wall!

Welcome to the entire loving Borderlands franchise.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

So you don't want things spoon-fed to you, you just want the game to tell you in the simplest manner possible how to accomplish 100% completion so that you don't miss anything or have to look outside the game which reduces game-playing efficiency?

Those aren't the same thing.

It's entirely reasonable to say that you don't like looking at a FAQ to find content in a game. That doesn't mean that he wants to be put on a loving roller coaster and shown all the sights without any input.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Heavy Lobster posted:

Wait, I can understand wanting to cut out busywork, but why care so much about seeing all the content of a game you probably don't like enough to get through the better parts of again? Like, that implies on a certain level that you think it's unfun to begin with.

I really super enjoyed the game Hyrule Warriors, but there's some unlockables you have to play levels twice to get and that sounds like a lot of busywork to me, even though I enjoyed those levels the first time, so I didn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

scarycave posted:

They want you to replay most levels two-three times to get everything.

Ditto for the adventure map stages which you'll probably spend the most time in trying to get the better weapons unlocked, you also have to replay stages to unlock items that will let you get said rewards.

I've finished both Adventure and Master Quest with all of the weapons unlocked, I just have next to none of the skulltulas.