Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

I've definitely had moments where I've been in combat and the game tells me I can't apply an oil. So there's something there.
Seems like you can't do it in boss fights. I was fighting Jenny o' The Woods just now and remembered half-way in the fight I have ghostbuster oil, wouldn't let me apply it mid-fight. I'd record it if OBS didn't instantly crash the game (Without any errors or anything). Come to think of it how do you even screenshot in non-Steam versions of the game? I'm used to just hitting F12 and it works :(

And yeah, you can stagger enemies with a heavy attack if they're not blocking most of the time, but while you're twirling they've hit you 1-2 times already (More if you're fighting a group) and the stagger is half-pointless now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, but being an assassin pretty much just requires being able to kill somebody. Like, you have a goal, which is "There is a dude in a place, make that dude dead". Being the greatest wizard in the land is the kind of thing that would require actually being a wizard.
*Beats you over the head with a glowing club that steals souls and yells at you in a language that makes you flop over like a loon or sets you on fire while a dead-eyed follower of theirs just stares through space and time.*
:byodood: ADMIT I AM THE GREETEST WIZARD EVER.

I'd agree with them to honestly if they could do that.

Cleretic posted:

But that's the best part of the games themselves you gently caress god damnit

I'm not going to pre-emptively say that their attempt to give the protagonist in Fallout 4 a voice and personality is going to drag that game down, but I'm not optimistic.
Even Beth would have to put some serious effort in to be worse than WATCHED_DAWGS Aidan Pierce *Now featuring his iconic cap!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

I'd say their worst train is in GTA: San Andreas, if you can follow what I am saying and know what I'm shooting for.
SA also had the best trains

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Randalor posted:

What happens if you're not online when you try to install it? Does it kick over to "install from disk" at that point or just give you an error?
Yeah, if it's installing through Steam it's fiddly as poo poo even if you have a physical disc in there and you're online.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Leal posted:

On that note: Planetside 2: I know the game is dead and all but the devs have completely abandoned the thought of making faction specific stuff, lately its all been NS (everyone faction can use) weapons and vehicles. Coulda fooled me that there was 3 factions with their unique flair of weapons and vehicles.
Never helped that they always sucked at giving the factions actually unique stuff that wasn't a heavy weapon.
TR always got the best gear, typically accurate bullethoses.
NC got slower-firing but heavy hitters.
VS got... no bullet drop in a game where it barely mattered and faster damage-drop offs...???

Croccers has a new favorite as of 13:31 on Aug 20, 2015

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Play Splinter Cell then read a book backwards.
Play Splinter Cell then stop to read a whole book halfway through a level. Then before you start a new mission read another book then play for ten minutes then read another book.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Quiet's ADD is really loving annoying. She's meant to target the guy you're looking at but when you're in a boss fight it's hard to keep focus on just one of them, so she constantly switches targets and just never fires.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
You can game the checkpoint system. Any time you get the Extracted To Motherbase list that pops up, you've triggered a checkpoint.
Say you're in the middle of looting a base if you run far enough to the outskirts of the base you'll trigger a checkpoint then you can run back in and loot the rest. Not ideal but it's gameable.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Re MSG5 wildlife: I like how the rationale for collecting animals is that you're saving them from a warzone. I'm sure this gerbil is way better off after I shot it with a tranq dart, stuffed it in my pocket and airlifted it to an offshore platform. Now it can live out the remaining 6 months of its lifespan in peace.
In a small patch of grass it has to share with 50 other gerbils and some donkeys and zebras, on a platform in the middle of the ocean.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

When you extract a shipping crate in MGS5, there will be a second or two where Snake still pushes up against it even though it's floating in the air above him. Truly an immersion ruining oversight.
I know why they do that, but I'm sad the game doesn't allow you to get crushed under one of them.
And MGS is meant to be the game of little things :(

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

kazil posted:

I picked up Dying Light when it was on sale recently. Seemed like maybe it would be a semi-decent zombie game.

Holy poo poo the writing/dialogue is so bad I had to get a refund 20 minutes into it.
This is pretty much Crane 75% of the game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I understand shotguns have a lot more range in real life than in games, but I just got killed by someone in Battlefield 4 using a shotgun while I was ground level and about 12 or so feet away and he was on a 2nd floor looking out a window.
Were they using Slugs? Because Slug Sniping in Battlefield is a thing.
The Bullhorn Stun shotgun in MGO shoots a slug, should see if I can snipe with that.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

princecoo posted:

I think Skyrim (and games like it) should not necisarily lock out content for certain quests, but rather make them more involved. It makes no sense if my axe and shield carrying barbarian can just walk up and become Archmage of a Guild of wizards simply by doing a few fetch quests. It would be better if my strong he-man could only get so far in that quests storyline until he actually, you know, became proficient at some magic. Make some puzzles dependant on performing magic of some kind on them, at a certain level of skill.

Make the Thieves Guild refuse you jobs because you're not adept enough. Add certain objectives in the questlines that will give you an immediate and permanent buff to the relevent skill, so that by the time you reach the conclusion and become their leader, you actually are worthy of the title.

I feel like Oblivions skill increases (increase skill by using said skill) probably lends itself better to this method. But to get it all ironed out and implemented would be a bitch in development I guess.
This is what Morrowind did to you if you weren't at x skill points for the relevant skills to the guild.
To rank up you had to have 1 relevant skill at a certain level then 2 other relevant skills at a lower threshold. As long as the skill was high enough to make the check at the time you were all cool, so you could buff your stats with a potion if you really wanted to.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Have you heard of this amazing experimental water purification technology called activated charcoal? You run water through a layer of it and it comes out the other end clean. Nothing about Fallout 3 makes sense. Not one single thing. There is nothing to eat, nobody makes anything, nobody does any work, not even the raiders actually have anything of value to raid. Even New Vegas annoyed me with the lack of newly-constructed buildings and general squalor--do not loving tell me that the post-apocalyptic Nevadans cannot stack bricks on top of each other, pick up trash, or wash dirty things with the clean water you can find almost anywhere in the game.
At least in New Vegas it's just basically a Wild-West like land.
The Fallout 3 world is just so lazy, dare I say Fan-fic levels of world building. Everyone is even lazier than your average RPG. It's just a world full of Vaguely Interesting Set pieces.
NV has this whole war thing going on but Fallout 3? :qq: T-t-there's bandits and super mutants everywhere (The Bandits have made more rebuild progress than the towns). A random dude can build a goddamn water purifier that only needs a magic macguffin to work (Which Liam Neeson pretty much found out where it was in the space of a weekend after leaving the vault. Seriously if he didn't get caught in the VR he could of finished the whole game for you.) and leave it sitting in the open for 16+ years and it's fine but some houses is out of the question? Even with the Raider/Super Mutant problem not once has it been hinted that they've caused serious grief for the two towns.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Don't criticize a role playing game for not being very good at letting you role play, in a thread about criticizing games.
I dunno, it lets you roleplay as a recently thawed out and singled parent. (I'm not far enough into the story to tell of your partner dying is important or if they even acknowledge it at all so dunno if that cancels out the I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY FORCED TO ME PLAY AS A HETRO! :tizzy:
It's like Witcher 3 is poo poo because you have to play as Geralt and not Random Scrub Witcher 12.

Also yeah 4 totally feels like Fallout 3.5: Now with integrated MODS and STORY!:yum:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
But does the game really give a poo poo about your partner dying in the vault or not? People are whining about the married partner thing but I've seen no-one follow this up if it even matters and just comes down to pointless flavour that when cut you'd never notice. Almost like most of the outcry started from people that haven't even played the game :v:
Like all this stupid thing floating around Twitter:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Biggest thing I'm getting hit by is the degrading textures.

Left is just starting up, the right is about 20 minutes later.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Suicide super mutants are a lot easier to deal with if you just VATS/Jet the arm they're holding the bomb in.
What's annoying is they'll prime their bomb for any reason and they'll never stop beeping until you find them.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Somfin posted:

gently caress this kind of game design, seriously. Nullification and especially nullification-with-delay is the worst way to do failure states in games. They should make failure a [i]failure. Something bad should happen.
Wasteland 2 does this and all that did was encourage everyone to save-scum and whine that the game locked them out of things (And the fact there's just so many skills that do basically the same thing too).

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

This baffles me. They did have a different tab for them, Fallout 3 had an entirely different part of the menu devoted to the notes and audios you found. poo poo, even Oblivion had a separate section in the inventory for books and notes.
The lack of the keyring when it was in 3 is pretty :psyduck: too.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
3 managed to be the most boring because the whole thing was just designed as a super-cool awesome skatepark everywhere you went.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I'm pretty sure they auto kick all the lowest rank people, counting people you just recruited. I Fulton LITERALLY EVERYONE and my level just keeps going up up up.
It's meant to, before the first patch it did but some people thought that got broke after the first patch. I just kinda stopped playing after the patch that put a gently caress-ton of your poo poo into 'Online storage', including your money, where you couldn't sell it. :shrug:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

The benefits of settlements are massively not worth the effort in general. Building a post apocalyptic dollhouse has it's own appeal but it would be nice if there was a compelling reason to.
Like you've just woken up from a deep freeze and have the know-how and super resourceful on how to build poo poo from the past and you realize like, you could totally do a better job than these scrubs in the area. But nope gently caress that, rebuild society and better? Naw gotta go find my kid gently caress everything else forever.
I don't have an issue with wanting to rescue your kid, I just have an issue with them wasting that good set-up to rebuild the Wasteland to save a kid.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I don't know who designed Dying Light's parkour challenge courses but they need to be tied down and struck repeatedly with a very large stick.
I don't remember if the game ever tells you but if you vault/jump/parkour move over things it resets your stamina. At least that was the biggest issue I had with the parkour challenges.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
AssCreed's modern day plots would of been more interesting if anything you did in the Animus really loving mattered.
2 one or two bits where you actually did something.
3 actually had you do poo poo (The missions, not the platforming for Deep Backstory)
Black Flag just had you collecting email again mostly.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

rodbeard posted:

I don't think they need to go back to the blank protagonists of the first games. My favorite main character is Tommy Vercetti because he's the only protagonist they've written that actually wants to be a part of the story. Everyone else is always getting dragged in to a life of crime and it doesn't make sense in a game series that used to give you bonus points if you took out an entire group of Elvis impersonators at once.
Luis from Gay Tony was mostly "Yeah sure whatever why not gently caress it I guess, goddamn weirdos"

The issue with all of 4's (4/LostAndDammed/GayTony) factions is they pretty much barely existed. They were THERE but they were all just Armed Gang that shot you if you shot them, if you even knew what they looked like.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Inco posted:

Similarly, I want to play as Jade in Dying Light instead of Crane. All they'd have to do is completely excise this whole GRE conspiracy angle because Jade would already have enough reasons to do everything required by the game's plot AFAIK.
Hell still have Crane in the game even, but give her Crane's not giving a gently caress powers over about whatever personal issues Crane is having with the GRE.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
FEZ makes you scan a QR code at least once for one of the anti-cubes or whatever.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Is the PC port of 2 still poo poo? Last I heard it controlled like rear end and didn't have the DLC stuff.
The funny thing about the god terrible port of SR2 and the Gentlemen of the Row mod is that it's stability just... doesn't make sense.
The thing runs 99% fine on my laptop, but my more powerful desktop PC? Crashes constantly. My step-dad's laptop is also crash happy but my mate's PC runs it mostly fine. :shrug: Really the only way to see if it works is to try it out.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

do you need a mic to play the game or can you just use menu controls if there's no mic detected?
It tries to make you play with them.
You have to dig into a menu to turn them off.
Please turn them off because otherwise the game is great.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The voice recognition is poo poo. You WANT to turn them off.

Also play with a controller. Otherwise the couple QTE bits are REALLY hard.
Hell, even the title screen doesn't know what keyboard key it wants you to press:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Saints Row 3 got gutted by executive decisions from THQ.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Procedurally-generated rogue-like permadeath shanties.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

yeah, basically this. extra credits coined a term regarding players going for the most optimal strategy that required the least amount of effort to perform. it's why noob tubing was a thing (dunno if that's still a thing that just happens) in mw2 and shotgun-rolling became the go to for the gears of war matches i've played. counter strike matches have those tense, abrupt skirmishes because the weapon recoil and spray patterns make it hard to spray your gun at mid range and expect a kill.

doesn't battlefield have a suppression system when you're using machine guns? or was that red orchestra 2?

the only time i'd say that bots helped me with my aiming was when i was easing into sniper in tf2 and just had a whole map of them run down a set path while i practiced shooting from awkward angles.
3, 4 and Hardline have some kind of suppression system but like, it barely ever loving procs with regular gun fire so what's the point?
Squad on the other hand is brutal with it's.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

khwarezm posted:

People spend a lot of time bitching the time limit and I don't get it. Its really not that harsh at all and you have the leeway to explore at least 60% of the nodes in a sector before it catches up to you. You can take steps to reduce it, like paying off mercs and heading into nebulae, long range scanners can also help in avoiding null nodes.
Any time there's any kind of time/turn limit in a game, everyone gets up in arms over it that it's too short and it ruins the game balance and I just want to do everything instead stop rushing me there's just too much pressure aaah this game is terrible why is there a time limit?
Look at Dead Rising. If you were following the story:
1 gave you the least amount of time to gently caress about. You had time to rearm/heal but not to really save people, you were better off levelling in a different run.
2 let you save a good amount of people and still have time to rearm.
3 lets you do everything, gently caress about climbing stuff looking for the blueprints, fight a nutbag then oh loook, still have fifty minutes until the timer ticks down.
I remember a ton of people having a cry over Invisible Inc's main campaign too.

Also ha if you think FTL was bullshit with it's luck/events, car-based FTL-like Convoy used to kill your tricked out convoy vehicles in text events.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

khwarezm posted:

But in a more traditional narrative driven game, like Dead Rising I suppose, it can be grating if it feels like the game's kicking you for trying to play at your own pace.
Dead Rising and a lot of these titles (Not all, but a lot) are designed to be restarted and replayed though. You missed an event because you were fiddling about doing something else? Get in on the next playthrough, the game isn't that long after all.
Not sure about DR1 but DR2 can be finished at about half the max level, which you can get to in around two half-finished playthroughs of story and rescuing.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I got good at sniping choppers out of the air in BC2.
Aircraft were the reason I really enjoyed Battlefield Hardline actually. It has choppers but last time I played even small-arms fire damages them. Pick up a LMG, find cover/hiding spot and just rip into a hovering one to freak it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The PSWii60 had a 'modern' remake version of GoldenEye.
Everything in it got rejiggered to fit in with Daniel Craig and his set of movies. It was odd.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
MP3 has Melee Takedown kills? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The only good thing to come out of modern Polygon is their Monster Factory episodes.

Aphrodite posted:

That same Y/N pop-up comes up on the console versions. No idea how to answer it.