Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lord Lambeth posted:

Kotor 2 had pretty good romances. If you treat Visa Marrs nicely when you first meet her, Kreia will warn you about getting intimate with her. One of your possible responses is "Just because I saved her doesn't mean I want to charge up her loading ramp!"

:allears:
The whole romancing your party members concept is also ripped apart with the fact that you're actually unconsciously mind-controlling them all to stay with you due to the sheer power of your Force abilities. The Exile is practically turning all the party into your usual cast of RPG sycophant party members in-universe. It's really neat they actually played with gameplay elements like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's also a reference to an episode from the show.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The High Chaos ending isn't even a bad one and its actually more thematically appropriate to the game. The game doesn't punish you for anything, its just people getting hung up on "good" and "bad" endings. Though it is totally true that non-lethal was added kind of late so it does kind of clash. (Though I really do like that the non-lethal options are far worse than death. It really plays off the usual expectations of video game pacifism.) The Daud DLC fixed the problems with non-lethal though and hopefully 2 goes further with it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Max Payne 2 had a pretty conclusive ending too so it really didn't need a sequel. I'm really not a fan of the first game, but 2 is worthy of the praise it gets.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

gohuskies posted:

Are you on easy difficulty level? There is no reason not to be on easy.
There's also absolutely no shame in just cheating your way through the combat. I didn't, but man the later levels are just a slog even on Easy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Cleretic posted:

I'm going to make the bold claim that 7 is the worst mainline Final Fantasy
2 exists and will always be the worst Final Fantasy no matter how much the fans have argued over the rest of the series for so many years. Not even God Emperor of Hell David Bowie could save 2.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Aug 2, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There's really a whole bunch of mistakes in the original translation like that. The Lavos influencing evolution and technology aspect is North American only. I thiiiink it was left out of the DS version, but I haven't played that one in a while. It's never anything major, that would completely change the plot. Just a bunch of stuff that changes small aspects of the story.
I think that Lavos change was an improvement, it makes Lavos more intimidating and alien. Just it being there is warping the planet and its life.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
A lot of the last half of Sleeping Dogs had to be cut for time so that's why it feels rushed. It's also why the dating missions seems like an afterthought, they had to get pruned too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

AFewBricksShy posted:

It was cut as in it was already coded and they just took it out of the game, or it was cut as in they had to meet a release date and there was no way certain things were getting finished?
The latter.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, RDR is a bleak game but it really does have love and care in what it does and it actually pulls across its themes well. It also really doesn't punch down in its satire like GTA tends to do all the time.

Really Rockstar's main team just screams well off middle-aged white dudes that were hip once and are desperately trying to be that again and they act like petulant teenagers in their attempts.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Missing Link isn't perfect (There's not much in the way of interesting objectives) but I liked it and as previously said I like what they did with the boss fight. Mainly that you can take his rear end down like any other enemy. So it was rather neat when I busted down the door and knocked this dude out in one punch and then realized that he was the boss. I played the non DC version though so it does seem like it would be a real hit to the pacing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tiggum posted:

Dead Man's Switch. So does this mean that there's no point in having a decker with me at all?
The game tells you when you need one and/or gives you one when you really need them, so yeah you shouldn't hire a decker unless told otherwise.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The weird thing is Fallout 3 ran practically perfect for me on PS3 and there was only a very few times it crashed in my 100+ hours. And I played the majority of it unpatched.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Steve Blum has a lot of range, he's just typecasted as hell.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
MGS: Peace Walker has by far the most boring and tedious boss fights in the series and the fact that I have to grind side-missions to get anything good is just killing my interest fast. I honestly don't get the praise, to me its by far the weakest in the mainline series and I though 4 was a genuinely good game when you got to play it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It sounds like you let an orc sound the alarm in a stronghold. You need to make sure to kill them before they do that otherwise you get infinite waves of orcs. A flame icon will appear on the screen that will point you to the direction to the orc who is rushing to the alarm.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Yeah, the wings and the Jester's Skull are both preorder bonuses. I love the way purple wings look on Johnny, but I miss the dressup part of the game.

Also the controls for doing Hellblazing are frustratingly imprecise. It's driving me insane. I just want my mission screen to be less full!
You playing on controller? Because on keyboard and mouse I found the controls to be really fluid and I breezed through all the Hellblazing missions.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Harley is alongside Bane as the only villains that actually managed to almost kill Batman.

Yeah, she's pretty much poo poo in everything after B:TAS, but I hear she's actually done well in Injustice.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm glad I'm not the only one that found Transistor to be an utterly hollow and lifeless facsimile of Bastion, which is one of my favorite games. It really feels like they had no idea what made Bastion so great, its kind of baffling.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Feb 13, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sleeveless posted:

Just a tip to To The Moon, if you want to tell a serious emotional story about life and death maybe don't frame it with two bumbling assholes who keep spouting Street Fighter and Dr. Who references every five minutes. It's like they watched Eternal Sunshine For The Spotless Mind and thought that Elijah Wood's creepy panty-sniffing nerdlinger should be the protagonist.
Yeah, in retrospect To The Moon really isn't that good. It just came out at a time where there really wasn't any good story-driven games coming out. Now there are and they're a lot better than To The Moon so it makes look even worse. It had its moments though and I still enjoyed it enough.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Feb 25, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The original rear end Creed actually had that. If you did enough brutal kills, usually with hidden blade counters, the guards would panic and run away.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I still haven't gotten around to playing To The Moon, but I have to say it's shuffled a long way down my backlog now. I have this weird opinion that there were games with good stories before 2011 so I'm afraid it'll seem even worse by comparison.
Not saying that there wasn't any well written games before, because there are, it's just that at that time there weren't many new ones coming out so that's why people latched on to it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lord Lambeth posted:

Boy goons sure do get worked up about tim schafer
If you're a game developer and you make one mistake, goons who once lauded you will go Two Minutes Hate on you in no time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lord Lambeth posted:

To be fair I hear a lot of very valid criticisms of the man and the games he makes but his games are so irresistibly charming. I also did not get burned by spacebase df9, which helps.
Yeah, there are quite good reasons to be wary about supporting them before they release a finished product, but the goon hate is hilarious, especially when it comes to people claiming games like Psychonauts and Brutal Legend were always poo poo unironically.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Josh Sawyer said that they couldn't do what they really wanted with the Legion so they had to make them pure evil due to lack of time. I'm fine with that though because it makes me and Boone going around the countryside killing every LARPer we see totally justified. :black101:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Inco posted:

Dead Rising kind of expects you to fail a couple of times because the storyline doesn't take especially long to do and it saves your XP between playthroughs.
Off the Record has sandbox mode where there is no time limit and your levels there carry over to Story Mode. I didn't find the time limit that bad either and I usually hate being rushed in games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Len posted:

I love that complaint. "Using these abilities trivializes everything! Too easy!" Why use them then?
Because gamers have absolutely no willpower.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Kentucky Route Zero has an amazing ingame musical number and its interactive.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Gilgamesh doesn't have a complicated backstory, he worked for ExDeath in 5 and then was transported out of his universe when ExDeath created his void dimension so he's been wandering the Final Fantasy universes ever since.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm playing The Darkness 1 and, clunky as it is, I'm really enjoying it. The story and characters have managed to sucker me in unexpectedly well, and the powers are really fun to use. Between this and Escape from Butcher Bay, Starbreeze do/did an amazing job at taking questionable licenses and making really good games out of them with incredibly relatable characters and dialogue. Things dragging it down now that I accidentally care about some broody 90s B-comic characters, in 2015:

1) I know the sequel ends on a cliffhanger and a third game does not seem to be happening
2) The comics based on it are apparently so utterly awful that they managed to sputter on readerless until like a month ago when they unceremoniously had the main character killed off pointlessly after 20 years in a side issue of Witchblade that nobody read because nobody still reads Top Cow
Darkness 1 has a conclusive ending at least. It's its not an happy ending at all, but its an actual ending.

You should check out the two new Wolfenstein games, New Order and Old Blood, a bunch of ex-Starbreeze guys made them and it really shows.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The durability mechanic in Witcher 3 is utterly pointless but equipment degrades pretty slowly so its not a real detriment.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah holy poo poo that is terrible, it looks nothing like Terry's suit.

Hunky Joe posted:

Better yet what is on the right? Is that Batman letting himself go or what? Looks like he had a few too many Batcakes.
Dark Knight Returns Batman, whose an old man that was out of the superheroing biz for a few decades.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Phlegmish posted:

I gave up near the end as well and for similar reasons. My main gripe about Anachronox is the JRPG-like battle animations taking loving forever to finish. If you have turn-based combat the animations should be quick and fluid like in Divinity: Original Sin.

Still a really cool game that I only found out about in 2012.
They actually patched in a toggle that speeds up battle animations, its like forward slash or something.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Alouicious posted:

it'll probably be fine
Nah, the plot and characters will probably will be garbage but the world will be interesting enough to explore like 3. It probably won't be a bad game at all, because I liked 3 and I can't see how they can screw it up, but I doubt there will be a lot that differentiates it from 3 structure-wise because Bethesda pretty much just makes the same games again and again and it gets bland really quickly once you've played one. I might buy the GOTY edition in a few years from now when its dirt cheap, but I'm sure not getting my hopes up for it.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Jun 30, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Alouicious posted:

you sound like a cool guy who's fun to chill out with
I try.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm probably just going to watch an LP of Blood Omen, because unless there are a fuckton of Hearts of Darkness from Avernus onwards I probably won't be able to survive the rest of the way.
You should have the Flesh Armor by now, which gives you health back on hit. Blood Gouge and Blood Shower are good too. I really don't remember having much trouble with Blood Omen when I played it on PS1 years ago.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Sep 20, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

muscles like this! posted:

Something that's kind of annoying me about the story of Spider-Man is how in Act 3 everything now revolves around Doc Ock and how he's apparently the greatest mind ever and is able to sway all these different villains over to his side because he can fix all their problems. I think the actor they got for Octavius did a good job while he was a good guy but I'm really not buying his bad guy performance.
Doc Ock has always been one of Spidey's smartest villains and he tends to be the leader when Spidey's villains team up against him, i.e. he's the original founder of The Sinister Six in the comics.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Moon Monster posted:

Re: The Witcher being lovely about women I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned the part where some late teens-early 20s woman throws herself on her geezer husband's funeral pyre. It would be one thing if the game then explored how hosed up that is but as far as I know (I didn't experience every bit of content in The Witcher 3 because I'm not a madman) they just sort of show it as cool and good and very much the woman's decision and then it's never mentioned again. It left a bad taste in my mouth throughout the rest of the game to the point that I never had any enthusiasm to try the DLC despite everyone raving about it.
Skellige Islanders are fantasy Vikings and Vikings did stuff like that for their funerals of important leaders in real life.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Oct 16, 2018