Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Oh yeah I remember that. That's the interesting stuff. That should be a super big deal

If it isn't, then the fact that :capitalism: is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Isn't there some woman in HR who feels forced to get expensive CASIE augs to stay competitive in business and winds up in debt to organised crime? That was pretty neat.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And there was a mission to rescue a hooker before she was forced to get augments to satisfy fetishists. I'm not sure I'd want a handjob from someone with a robot arm that could yank my dick off if it glitched.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Mankind Divided was way more about refugees and classism and ableism than racism.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm probably just going to watch an LP of Blood Omen, because unless there are a fuckton of Hearts of Darkness from Avernus onwards I probably won't be able to survive the rest of the way.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sunswipe posted:

I'm not sure I'd want a handjob from someone with a robot arm that could yank my dick off if it glitched.

weirdo

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Guy Mann posted:

Mankind Divided was way more about refugees and classism and ableism than racism.

Yeah, don't forget that the central writers are European and weren't working along the same lines of racial identity as the US - there's a lot of European cultures and identities which would just be called white or black in the states.

The augmented woman who kept trying to draw a parallel to racism was weirdly written, but the plot definitely veered more towards corporate elites, the rich getting richer, and so on.

Augmentation being a direct allegory for ethnicity has the X-Man problem and LGBT people. Mutants are inherently dangerous and can pose a massive threat to those around them, whereas gay people aren't dangerous because they're gay.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm probably just going to watch an LP of Blood Omen, because unless there are a fuckton of Hearts of Darkness from Avernus onwards I probably won't be able to survive the rest of the way.
You should have the Flesh Armor by now, which gives you health back on hit. Blood Gouge and Blood Shower are good too. I really don't remember having much trouble with Blood Omen when I played it on PS1 years ago.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Sep 20, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sunswipe posted:

And there was a mission to rescue a hooker before she was forced to get augments to satisfy fetishists. I'm not sure I'd want a handjob from someone with a robot arm that could yank my dick off if it glitched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khNJKhipsYI

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Safeword posted:

Yeah, don't forget that the central writers are European and weren't working along the same lines of racial identity as the US - there's a lot of European cultures and identities which would just be called white or black in the states.

The augmented woman who kept trying to draw a parallel to racism was weirdly written, but the plot definitely veered more towards corporate elites, the rich getting richer, and so on.

Augmentation being a direct allegory for ethnicity has the X-Man problem and LGBT people. Mutants are inherently dangerous and can pose a massive threat to those around them, whereas gay people aren't dangerous because they're gay.

Considering that Mankind Divided sold bad enough that it put the brakes on the franchise for the foreseeable future I wonder how many of the people complaining about Mankind Divided using augmented people as a stand-in for racism actually played it versus people who are just parroting a bunch of bad-faith criticisms against it due to backlash over the DLC + chuds being triggered by a game having even the vaguest progressive signaling.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i see guy mann's back on his 'question the motive of anyone who has a different video game opinion as him' poo poo again

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I hate how Fire Emblem Heroes only lets you get one copy of an accessory, and also treats them as single items so only one character can be using it at a time.

Also that knight characters are awful. I mean, they suck in regular Fire Emblem, but at least there you can change them to great knights or pair them with a more mobile character.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I very much dislike when the game gives you AI buddies but makes them worthless.

I’m watching a streamer play through the new Spider-Man game and he sat watching a large number of cops shoot at a single enemy during one of those random crimes that occur around town.

After about 45 seconds of multiple cops shooting the enemy was hit maybe twice and required the player to actually finish him off.

I get that the player should be the most important and active person in the game, but come on, why even add cops if they don’t do anything.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

moosecow333 posted:

why even add cops if they don’t do anything.

immersion

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

moosecow333 posted:

I’m watching a streamer play through the new Spider-Man game and he sat watching a large number of cops shoot at a single enemy during one of those random crimes that occur around town.

After about 45 seconds of multiple cops shooting the enemy was hit maybe twice and required the player to actually finish him off.

I mean, it might make for lousy gameplay but that sounds like a pretty accurate depiction of NYPD marksmanship.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The aug racism thing is hamfisted and doesn't make any sense. It goes on and on about people becoming dependent on paying exorbitant amounts for the aug drug - cool, it has a slight Big Pharma Doesn't Want To Cure Diseases They Can Profit From vibe but it's a good base.

Then it just... doesn't do anything with it. You spend so much time arguing about augments and hearing pro/anti arguments that never go a single step further than "augs are unnatural and ungodly", "no they're fun", "no". Nothing beyond background noise about the actual concrete issues that would come up. How desperate people are being exploited and forced to get augs to work in harder and more dangerous conditions, how non-augmented people are disadvantaged in employment prospects etc.

My memory is a little hazy, maybe getting some of this backwards because this was like five years ago but it felt like a waste. It's fuckin cyberpunk actually deal with the themes of the genre

They do touch on those issues, but they definitely don't get explored very thoroughly. The game has the same problem a lot of others have, where the plot gets in the way of what the game is actually about. If you really dig through all the myriad side missions, emails, e-books, and etc. there's a lot going on in the background but the plot is laser focused on resolving the missing scientists thread which ultimately turns out to be an extended Illuminati circlejerk. Part of the problem is that outside of specific setpieces, Jensen never questions his or Sarif's role in the conspiracy.

Attestant posted:

Also another issue I have with the two games: in HR augs are used as an extension of inequality. Augmented people just have it better off and that causes tension. But for the second game they decided to go for the racism comparison, so they had to cook up an event where most of the upper class suddenly globally turns in to the oppressed underclass overnight. The whole shift between the games is really jarring to me.

Isn't part of the pretense for MD's aug crackdown the end of HR where augs turn into rage zombies? As said, it runs into the X-Men problem tho. Though in HR the majority of augmented people you meet are definitely not upper crust.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

moosecow333 posted:

I very much dislike when the game gives you AI buddies but makes them worthless.

I get that the player should be the most important and active person in the game, but come on, why even add cops if they don’t do anything.

The reason that the cops usually don't do anything to the bad guys is because the game likes to give little side objectives to events that can give you bonus resources and if the cops just killed all the bad guys before you could complete the objective you would be pretty pissed off.

Something that's kind of annoying me about the story of Spider-Man is how in Act 3 everything now revolves around Doc Ock and how he's apparently the greatest mind ever and is able to sway all these different villains over to his side because he can fix all their problems. I think the actor they got for Octavius did a good job while he was a good guy but I'm really not buying his bad guy performance.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The real thing dragging Spider-Man down is that the game is almost entirely great except for the boss fights.

They're not even bad, it's just that there's one good one where you really feel like you're being Spidey in a crazy situation swinging around and never touching the ground, and then every other boss fight is beaten the same way. Dodge the big attack, shoot-webs or swing an object to stun, do a combo, repeat until they die.
Even the last boss goes this way.

In that sense it's almost Arkham Asylum again where the bosses were "Poison Ivy" and "every other boss".

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Playing Terranigma. Great so far. Super loving bizarre but I love it. Thing dragging it down? You can no longer talk to the plants and the animals when Act 3 stars :argh:

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Decided to get into the LEGO Batman series and the first game is really really rough compared to the 500 newer LEGO games that have since come out. Poorer direction to the player, mulitpliers don't appear to work, but there definitely isn't an indication they're in effect, barely letting you escape deaths and being penalized heavily for it, etc etc.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Decided to get into the LEGO Batman series and the first game is really really rough compared to the 500 newer LEGO games that have since come out. Poorer direction to the player, mulitpliers don't appear to work, but there definitely isn't an indication they're in effect, barely letting you escape deaths and being penalized heavily for it, etc etc.

The first Batman game is probably the nadir of the series, and made me realise how much the games needed to be adaptions or have dialog.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The Lambda Core level of Black Mesa is one of the best looking areas in the game; it's colorful without being garish, and lavished with little details and nooks and crannies to explore. But it doesn't direct or prioritize the player's attention very well. Progress tends to require finding little buttons or switches that the game makes little effort to highlight in giant rooms with lots of things to look at. You'll hear the sound cue of an enemy spawning in and have absolutely no idea where to start looking for it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

muscles like this! posted:

Something that's kind of annoying me about the story of Spider-Man is how in Act 3 everything now revolves around Doc Ock and how he's apparently the greatest mind ever and is able to sway all these different villains over to his side because he can fix all their problems. I think the actor they got for Octavius did a good job while he was a good guy but I'm really not buying his bad guy performance.
Doc Ock has always been one of Spidey's smartest villains and he tends to be the leader when Spidey's villains team up against him, i.e. he's the original founder of The Sinister Six in the comics.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Sep 21, 2018

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Accordion Man posted:

Doc Ock has always been one of Spidey's smartest villains and he tends to be the leader when Spidey's villains team up against him, i.e. he's the original founder of The Sinister Six in the comics.

Yeah, that part is really believable and true to the comics. With regards to the heel turn, it's pretty clear that Insomniac are aping from Sam Raimi's Spider-man 2 plot. I was always a bigger fan of Octavius being an egomaniac and super villain of the highest order, rivaling Norman Osbourne.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Tap Titans 2 has entire back stories for the various characters that talk about them utmost seriously, trying to invest you in the darkness of the world and how bloody it is.

Tap Titans is also an idle clicker game.

Someone on the story really, really didn't want their fanfiction history to go to waste.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I started playing LEGO Jurassic World, which made me want to revisit LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (which holy hell I cannot believe I last played over ten years ago), and man, the quality of life improvements made to those games are just striking.

The thing dragging LEGO City Undercover down, by all accounts an excellent game, is that I got it on PC and it ate poo poo the moment I touched the first quest marker outside the police station, and I had to download some fan-made super control console or whatever, and even with that seeming to prevent the crashes, it's still kinda stuttery.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Lead Psychiatry posted:

If you fly as Superman in Lego Batman 2 it plays the theme from the Donner movies. I'm not a fan of the Lego games in general but even thinking about that detail makes me smile.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Lego Marvel Super Heroes was a massive fanservice game and wholesome as hell

I also will never get over that the ending involves tricking Galactus with a cake with the shape of Earth when the Hulk bust out swinging Thor who is swinging the Mjolnir at his face

They're just delightful.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

I started playing LEGO Jurassic World, which made me want to revisit LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (which holy hell I cannot believe I last played over ten years ago), and man, the quality of life improvements made to those games are just striking.
Like not having to reactivate red bricks each time you log on.

I'm still lovely at them for not releasing the third Hobbit movie as DLC like they announced.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How are the Harry Potter ones? I'm tempted to get the complete version but I don't know where they stand on qol things. I've only played the Jurassic Park one for reference.

For content, I'm playing Saints Row 4 finally and am on the Pierce mission. Not sure what the hell I'm doing wrong but the helicopter just explodes for no apparent reason and I've done with opening section entirely too many times between that and the steam client crashing

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Content: travel in Sunless Sea is too loving slow which is a problem given how much of the game involves travelling.

Len posted:

How are the Harry Potter ones? I'm tempted to get the complete version but I don't know where they stand on qol things.

I am hugely nostalgic for them for personal reasons.

If you like Harry Potter they're pretty good? No mid-level checkpoints is the biggest problem, especially for getting a handful of the more annoying collectibles. They've got the dynamic split-screen which is something you really miss when you go back to the older games.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Content: travel in Sunless Sea is too loving slow which is a problem given how much of the game involves travelling.

God, I wanted to love that game so much. There was also a weird think about how it spawned enemies where you could get swarmed at ports. Might have been a glitch, but after restarting 20-odd times and never making any substantial progress I just abandoned it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

moosecow333 posted:

Police in the Marvel Universe can't do poo poo, they just wait for Spidey to show up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Drunken Baker posted:

God, I wanted to love that game so much. There was also a weird think about how it spawned enemies where you could get swarmed at ports. Might have been a glitch, but after restarting 20-odd times and never making any substantial progress I just abandoned it.

It actually used to be a much better game but it was absolutely ruined by early access feedback.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I love FF9 a lot but it really really bugs me that the opening fmv stuff that plays before you start or load a game has the city of Lindblum misspelled as Lindbulm. Or that maybe it's the other way around and maybe Lindbulm is the right spelling but the entire rest of the game calls it Lindblum.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It actually used to be a much better game but it was absolutely ruined by early access feedback.

Having beaten the game I think it's relatively easy for a roguelite, but I wish the game went about twice as fast outside of combat. What was different about the early access version?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

My biggest beef with the Total War: Warhammer is that the autofight simply produces better results after a certain point, and that unlike other total wars, you cannot give reinforcing armies to the AI. Their only job is to maintain the front and advance; why do I have to do this myself?

Also, you need to autofight small AI stacks to eliminate them, the "unit annihilated"-level is stupidly low, and most likely you cannot kill everything and everyone on manual command. And then that loving stack still exists, run into forest and rebuilds itself.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The thing dragging Tales from the Borderlands down for me is that it was already unlikely that we'd get a second season of not only the best Telltale game but also the best Borderlands game, but now it's definitely not going to happen now that Telltale games is dead.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Veotax posted:

The thing dragging Tales from the Borderlands down for me is that it was already unlikely that we'd get a second season of not only the best Telltale game but also the best Borderlands game, but now it's definitely not going to happen now that Telltale games is dead.
It didn't need another season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man I was looking forward to a other Fables series