Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

poptart_fairy posted:

Would you stop enabling him, jesus christ guys.
I disagree, keep enabling him because all scientific probes sent into Bizarro Universe have been destroyed immediately by the hostile antimatter winds, so the only way we can ever hope to understand it is by reading the posts of Tiggum, who lives there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Kaubocks posted:

I played Skyrim for north of 150 hours on one file and I don't think I ever set foot in Falkreath. I remember trundling all the way from the east to the west for some quest and getting a prompt that I discovered Falkreath. I hesitated for a moment and just turned elsewhere and walked away because I was loaded with quests at the moment and I knew if I went in some jerk was going ask me to help tie his shoes.

Good game. Lots of things I like about it, enough story related things that drag it down. I'm not sure why the stormcloaks would ever let me, a khajiit, join their ranks. I feel like Bethesda shouldn't be afraid to lock away content based on the kind of character you're playing. I dunno.

ACTUALLY,
:goonsay:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

TheSpiritFox posted:

The picture at the end of the article is worth posting for anyone who doesn't care to read it.

This is that thing Mass Effect had where it takes the textures too long to load properly, right?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If you can get your Science up to 70 (science magazine, mentats etc) that makes it a lot easier.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I wonder if real cops ever experience the phenomenon I did in True Crime NYC, where pedestrians constantly would leap from the sidewalk into the path of my car, killing themselves instantly and tanking my Good Cop Points.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi96ucB7ZdI

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

im pooping! posted:

The more fun part is where you forget that you can flirt with yeoman Chambers through the whole game but if you invite her to dinner, you still have the choice to not sleep with her so you can still be faithful to whoever you want. If you forget that little nugget, Chambers won't offer to feed your fish and you lose out on a +5% bonus in Mass Effect 3 because save editors will mark Kelly keeping your fish as you cheated on your Mass Effect 2 girl/boyfriend. And you figure this out like 6 hours into your Mass Effect 3 file and the only thing you can do is replay Mass Effect 2. And probe planets again.

Oh no not 5%!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I did like the bit in ME3 where you're trying to explain how thermal clips work to a guy and he doesn't get it at all.

I also like the Mako. It's going to be back in some form in the next game, which is all I need to know tbh.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I only did it because after my "Emergent gameplay is seeing the Buddha on the road and killing him" joke, some guy from GBS sent me a long-rear end PM explaining emergent gameplay, so I just decided to go with it.

In a way your experience with this discussion has itself been a sort of emergent gameplay.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

stop posting about videogames that's not what this thread is for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

One of these generic fantasy towns looks worse than the other.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

From Earth posted:

Mass Effect 1: Everything aside from the main quest feels like low-effort filler. Most side-quests boil down to "bounce around the surface of a planet in the Mako for five minutes, then enter one of three possible buildings and kill everything inside". If you're lucky, there's a bit of dialog at the start which allows you to choose between taking on the mission eagerly, or taking it on reluctantly. If you're very lucky, there's some more dialog at the end of the side-quest to wrap it up, instead of just a popup lazily telling you, "you killed everything in this building, good job, you're done". Meanwhile, you have five or six fetch quests open at the same time, but they all boil down to either "click planet, click 'Survey'", or "bounce around planet in Mako, click on debris, beat minigame (for some reason)". You're supposedly unearthing ancient Protean data discs and writings of long-dead Matriarchs, but all the game can say is "good job clicking on that planet/object, some number has increased and you've been awarded some credits and XP". You could cut 80% of all side content and not loose anything of value.

Mass Effect 3 gives you a decent reward for going to to trouble of finishing some of those quests, which is nice of it at least. You get a fun little scene where a guy goes "I could do this if only I had 12 asari matriarch writings" and the main character says "Well you'll never guess what," and you get some extra points and XP.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'd imagine people have differing opinions on how severe the penalties should be, how fast the meters should build up, how much should be restored by one snack cake or bottle of water, etc. Some want it more hardcore, some want it to be low impact. Maybe the way one mod does the counters looks stupid or is buggy so someone makes a similar, more polished mod. Maybe someone thinks just hunger and thirst isn't enough, you should be able to get diseases as well. Extra crafting recipes and perks to take advantage of the new mechanic. There's all sorts of reasons why there might be more than one mod that does something.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

From what I remember in Witcher 2 the male sorcerers all make themselves look like nondescript middle aged men wrapped head to toe in robes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I was going to say I'm happy Bethesda is better about this than most other RPG developers, but then I realized most of the interesting worldbuilding in the Elder Scrolls isn't covered anywhere.

What's that? You were interested in the Thalmor, and wanted to see their rise to power? That's nice.

I read on some website that the Thalmor banned Talos worship in Skyrim as part of some plan to unmade reality itself and ascend/return to godhood and I thought "Well then why the hell am I making daggers on a farm and fighting a dragon?" why couldn't the game be about the way more interesting stuff going on somewhere else?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I liked what I saw of Dark Souls 2 a lot, but I have never played the first to reference it against. I really like the idea of a game that punishes stupidity and is unrelenting. It is just arduous to break the glass ceiling and "git gud". Bloodborne gave me a gun right at the start which is great because I discovered I could shoot a prick and then run away and he'd follow me allowing me to whittle down large groups. An annoying thing though are the elaborate skeleton messages and blood stains as I have gotten caught in them during fights. Also one guy placed a "beware of the ambush" warning right in the place that triggered the ambush, which admittedly was also quite funny.

I've only played a bit of Dark Souls but my favourite message thing was "try jumping" next to every ledge. The first time I saw it I jumped and died.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

BuddyChrist posted:

Ditto, unironically.

I find them fun to play. The higher difficulties suck because of the weird scaling of enemies but whatever.

There are things I like about that game that other games don't do as well and the things that suck about that game I'm willing to deal with over things that suck in other games. :shrug:

This is a thread specifically for people to say "I don't like thing" in

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I have a soft spot for the story of Bioshock Infinite but I watched some LP guy stream the DLC and I stillk wonder wtf they were thinking.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah the character-specific endings really lack "didn't do the quest" or "character died" outcomes. Grieving Mother is the worst one for that because her quest has one happy ending and one unhappy ending, and you get the happy ending if you never do her quest.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That's cool imo and a similar thing happens elsewhere in the game. In Taipei they want to assassinate the pro-independence president to make him a martyr, strengthening the independence movement and heightening tensions with China. If he dies the independence movement ends up losing steam while if he lives he ramps up his pro-independence posturing. I like it because the villain is trying to predict and control people's reactions on a global scale, and things turning out different from how you'd expect shows what a bad idea that is. Plus it's a cheeky counter to the whole point of the game being to predict and control people's reactions to you.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Things like that come off way less as a "gotcha" when it's divorced from the good/evil thing I think. Like in Fallout if you frame Killian as Good and Gizmo as bad then Junk town thriving under Gizmo comes out of nowhere, but if it's choosing between a zealous lawman and a sleazy guy with a lucrative business it makes a lot more sense. With Alpha Protocol the one where you save the girl has a contrived consequence but the one where you don't save her felt like something that could organically happen (new security measures are signed into law and the act is named after her :smith:) so it doesn't feel like the game is just being mean.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm mostly really liking Binary Domain but there are a couple of little things dragging it down:
The combat is pretty samey because you're fighting the same two or three enemies most of the time; the boss battles mix things up but weren't always as thoroughly play tested as they should have been. There's a fight with a giant gorilla robot which can knock you out in one hit and is extremely agile, and the way to kill it is with a turret you have to manually reload. That's a pretty interesting battle, but then they throw in infinitely respawning enemies as well and it gets insanely aggravating. And then right after that there's another boss battle with a jumping robot that throws crates and exploding barrels at you, and this fight takes place in a tiny room and ALSO has respawning enemies! Stop respawning enemies!

The story also feels a bit "first draft". The idea is building trust with your team mates based on how well you do in battle and agreeing with them in the odd dialogue, but then the party gets split up so you spend a full third of the game with the same two characters, then you run into the rest of the group later and they've discovered the crucial plot information you've been after the whole time, with no ceremony or dramatic revelation or anything.

Edit: Oh and the dialogue choices make no sense at all sometimes. I just fought the final boss and he was yelling like, "you suck and I'm going to kill you" and my response options are "drat it" and "Yeah!" There are many times where even the conceptual idea of what I'm supposed to be saying is lost on me, and the trust system is based around telling people what they want to hear but does anyone ever want to hear "you fool" or "cheers" or anything but the Press A option? I like the game enough to replay it but if I do I want to try for the best ending, but the dialogue responses are so opaque that I'm not sure how.

Double edit: despite these complaints it's a fun game and I recommend getting it at the dirt cheap prices it's going for these days.

2house2fly has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Aug 16, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Racial purity is still a big thing in Japan so it likely stems from that.

It's specifically a big theme of the game too, a character falls in love with a half-robot hybrid and gets called a "scrap lover".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Crafting is optional, just steal armour from your enemies and drink potions you find on the floor in bottles marked POISON

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He wasn't talking about a real game, he was talking about Skyrim.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Some of the decisions in Fallout 4 don't drag the game down so much as just completely baffle me. Like, you have a voiced character and dialogue wheels. ok whatever. It's not what I think Fallout should have but we never got fun games by being married to convention. The game starts in the 50s-esque dystopia which was in the series purely to be backstory for a post-nuclear adventure. Fine I suppose. It can start wherever, and the fact that I don't care about the pre-war world or want to play as someone from there is just being married to convention again probably. The intro is narrated by the main character and is a bit gloomy for Fallout, but CONVENTION never mind. He starts by saying "war never changes" and ends by saying "war never changes" then it fades into character creation which is the main character looking in a bathroom mirror saying "war never changes" again, and you can change at this point to not playing as the main character any more but as his wife and not be the main character for the whole rest of the game, but if you stay as the main character you look at your old army uniform and say "heh, I guess war never changes" AGAIN and you wander around your suburban house muttering to yourself the whole time, "Nuka Cola ice cold, 100% value of sugar, the robot was a good thing to buy, god bless america spin the mobile the baby loves it" and then speak with the vault tec guy and when you skip dialogue the main character SAYS OUT LOUD "uh huh, mm-hmm, yeah" like he's hurrying them on, and then the bombs drop and you run to the vault, with a crowd of people trying to get in and you say "my family's on the list let us in" and if you're playing a hero you can't like, try convincing them to let more people in and if you're playing an rear end in a top hat you can't go "suck it losers you're gonna die and I'm not" the other people are just props that exist and you ignore them completely, then you get frozen and you wake up to your wife's corpse and you tearfully go "I'm going to get the people who did this to you" and then you see a locked container with a cryo gun and you say "nice, I'm gonna come back for you" all of this being dialogue that gets activated when you look at something rather than something you choose to say, and then you take a pip boy off a skeleton and put it on your wrist for no reason and leave the vault, and it's already spiralled into completely nonsensical insanity and the actual game hasn't even started yet! It just blows my mind not only that they made this intro and thought "yes, people will love this" but that people actually DID love it! Occam's Razor would dictate that it must be me who has the mental illness.

EDIT: Also while you're customising your character both the main character and his wife are complimenting each other's looks the whole time. There's so much lunacy packed into the opening 15 minutes that I can't remember it all. And yes, I am melting down.

2house2fly has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Nov 16, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I said that to highlight the weirdness of it. The guy narrates the intro but then you can choose to play as a woman and the guy who narrated the intro and was set up as the main character dies, so why bother having him narrate the intro. It's just one facet of the incredible bizarreness which permeates the beginning of the game.

EDIT: I don't know that it's such a sign of being overly invested in a game to type out a sequence of events which take place over fifteen minutes. It's much more concerning that I'm watching Internet personality Dark Syde Phil play through it.

2house2fly has a new favorite as of 21:17 on Nov 16, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You don't just have a set backstory, you have a personality, a voice, a wife and child and a home in suburbia. You love your wife, you know this because the game has the main character say it without your input. Your child is named Shaun. This is different to "you live in a vault and have been tasked with finding water" in ways that would take a whole nother effortpost to really articulate.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

ArtIsResistance posted:

I improved your post

I'm not mad about it, it's just weird to see claims that Fallout 4 doesn't give you any more backstory than previous games. It's like if Fallout 4 came out and was a top-down shmup, and people said "well yeah, in the original games you played from a top-down perspective, I don't see how this is different"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

An RPG without a main storyline sounds great. A Mass Effect where you aren't chasing some Reaper dude but just exploring the universe and getting into situations. A Fallout where you're maybe the last survivor of a vault and have lived alone for years, finally venturing out into the wasteland to see what it's like. Half the time the main story is crap anyway, Fallout 4 being both a recent and a notable example.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Most of Dragon's Dogma is just you doing side quests and getting into scrapes, the "main quest" is largely running errands for the duke. Something like that with more quests, towns, enemies and maybe factions and stuff would be cool. Dragon's Dogma is incredibly cool already by the way, and should be bought on PC this coming January.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I agree, it just limits your character motivations quite a lot. Like, you could be someone who's out for fame/wealth/glory, you could be a thrill junkie, but you've got to have some reason for doing what you're doing.

I don't know that you do. "You are an adventurer, go adventure" as prelude to a fun game is probably plenty for most people.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Deport The Irish posted:

If only he wore an ugly suit in the opening cutscene and then never did anything.

Also why were we railroaded into opposing Benny? DEATH TO TYRANTS. DEATH TO BETH-- wait uh. That was real clever actually.

You can be friendly to Benny or just never even meet him face to face.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You can go the whole game without ever entering his casino if you work for the NCR.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

HATE RP

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The thing dragging down Fallout 4 is that, since the response to every criticism presented in this thread is essentially "lol stop caring," I should play this game without caring about it, which is a paradigm I simply cannot comprehend.

My own perspective would be, don't play the game at all.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah that's what's so weird to me, the opening cutscene is loads of VA with this really heavy story emphasis that cant have been cheap to make (what's the budget on getting a voice actor to record 1000 names?) and it's so terrible that I'm wondering if they were shooting for terrible as some kind of 50s B-movie pastiche that's sailed over my head. I want SuperMechaGodzilla to come in here and explain how it's an absurdist masterpiece

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah Bro posted:

Seek CBT. It can help with your problems in ways a Bethesda game cannot.

It would certainly make me cry more than Fallout 4 ever could no matter how hard it tries, but cock and ball torture can get pretty expensive.

2house2fly has a new favorite as of 12:48 on Nov 18, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

It's like 4 pages that could have been solved by doing the barest research on a game before you buy it.

Agreed. Anyone who bought Fallout 4 after the E3 reveal showed how terrible it would be has no right to gripe about what they got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Len posted:

I was thinking about goofy poo poo to sarcastically say people should RP during Fallout but then I just made myself sad that there isn't an episodic Quantum Leap game where each episode is a different genre as you try to help Sam leap his way home.

"I don't get it Al, I typed the rant but I haven't leaped yet."
"Ya gotta type more, kid, ya gotta convince everyone Fallout 4 is really bad. Come on get to it, they ruined Fallout!"
"Are you sure this is definitely what I have to do?"
"As far as you know yes. Get typing"