Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

oneof3steves posted:

That kind of thing always feels weird to me... it's like the people who love and support a band until they become popular and then because they are successful and on the radio and 15 year olds like them they suddenly stop liking them. It seems like it should be a matter of do you like it or not, rather than "Who else likes it?"
I guess that's the backside of the "I am defined by what I like/consume" thing that the internet promotes. If what you like defines you then if people you don't want to be associated with enjoy the same thing as you it makes it harder for you to continue to enjoy it.
Either way I haven't managed to get into the game, but other people liking it seems to be a dumb reason to change your mind about it.

Rising wasn't successful though, it's not like it got popular or anything. I'm just tired of reading people repeat the game's best moments and quote Armstrong or the games soundtrack to the point where I groan at the games best lines and jokes now. "The cake is a lie!!!!!!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

poptart_fairy posted:

Replaying Hotline Miami and the semi-random AI and weapon drops irritates me. It's a game about reflexes and high speed, so when you can be killed in one shot and the same person can react in different ways and drop different stuff it can really throw off the game's otherwise fantastic rhythm.

I actually like that, it means you can't just develop the same strategy each time. It's about your reflexes and quick thinking as opposed to route memory.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Captain Lavender posted:

I really noticed this as it went on. At the beginning, I was too slow to out shoot anyone; but by the end, I could punch out a room of guys with no weapon if I had to.

It really gives you that Psycho Killer feeling, those types of people don't walk in with a detailed plan, they just wing it!

E: Honestly, since there's no penalty for dying just go ape poo poo and rush guys, I found it working for me a lot of the time.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
It would be amazing if at the beginning of every nintendo game you could go into the options from the word start and click "I've played every Zelda/Mario/Pokemon since their inception, I'm good" button and the game just cuts out all the tutorials.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
"let me show you how to catch a pokemon." I'm good, I know what I'm doing with a pokeball.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

That loving Sned posted:

There needs to be some way to skip past the tutorials at the start of each Pokemon game. I don't care if it's singing the TV show theme from memory.

New mechanics like mega evolutions do need tutorials, as well as things that were added in a remake like Pokemon being able to follow behind you, but we don't need to be told that having 0 hp is a bad thing every time we play a new entry.

While most tutorials can just be skimmed through by tapping A, the worst thing is not being allowed to sprint for the first half hour, just because the game doesn't trust you to grasp the concept of holding a button to move faster.

I can't remember if any of the games after Fire Red and Leaf Green were as bad about this, but the same goes for any game that restricts intuitive or useful mechanics just because it wants to introduce everything one at a time. For instance, Paper Mario's combat is incredibly basic until you're told about timed attacks, while in the sequel you can do them from the very first battle, along with B-button parries and stunts to show off to the audience.

Comparing pretty much anything to TTYD isn't going to be fair though. That game is literally perfect.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Stop playing MGS4

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Austrian Mook is my favorite thing dragging down the game of life.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but MGS4 is a complete piece of poo poo. Hopefully Kojima pulls his head out of his rear end for the next one.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ChaosArgate posted:

If you look at his twitter, he has pictures of loving hundreds and hundreds of the non-common Amiibo. He has no plans to sell them, he just wants to hoard them so no one else can have them and so Nintendo can realize that these are bad characters even though he already gave them thousands upon thousands of dollars to have them.

post the pics

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sleeveless posted:

Hotline Miami was a game that trolled players by putting the "real" ending behind a bunch of tedious hidden collectibles only for the ending to be total bullshit that the game outright states doesn't matter and was just an excuse to kill people. I actually enjoyed the story in 2 because it seemed to continue in that vein, instead of giving big answers or building a plot around the crazy alternate universe/cult stuff it's a bunch of moody disjointed side stories with no real purpose other than to give you an excuse to kill more people.

Storywise, one thing dragging HLM2 down for me is that goddam rape scene that the internet has spent the past year arguing about. Considering how brief, out-of-nowhere, and inconsequential it is it seemed to exist for no reason other than to drum up controversy, which is a pretty lovely thing for someone as cool and real as Cactus.

They put an option at the beginning of the game to turn off all instances of implicit sexual assault so I don't understand what the problem is? It's Hotline Miami, the whole point is that it's hyper-violent so I don't understand how an implicit rape is any worse than brutally gouging somebodies eyes out especially when there's a non-intrusive option for anyone who'd be seriously put off by such a thing.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Sexual violence has some important differences compared to physical violence. It's a complicated subject and this thread is not the place for it, but there are absolutely fair reasons why many people treat them differently.

There are, and for anyone who is personally disturbed by that then you can simply turn it off at the beginning of the game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Analyzing Hotline Miami is pointless, since the game is designed to be the antithesis of people who over-analyze video games.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

spudsbuckley posted:

Why would it?

People declared the first one to be genius despite it being riddled with frustrating bullshit.

It was

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Esroc posted:

Finally decided top give Dark Souls 2 a try and I don't get the appeal. Everyone gushes over the "difficulty" of the series and how high stakes the game is, but the difficulty doesn't stem from brilliant game design or amazing balance. The difficulty is solely based on the fact that the game has the most horrendous control scheme and button response I've ever seen and making your character perform the simplest of actions is an exercise in futility.

I guess gimping the player with a nightmare of a control scheme is a kind of difficulty, but it's not the kind I was expecting.

Lmao

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Dark Souls 2 is a long way away from the first game, mainly because of the enemy design. Still better than most anything else on the market though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sleeveless posted:

The controls are abysmal for a platformer, however.

Okay? Who the gently caress cares? They have bad controls for a first person shooter too!! :bravo:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sardonik posted:

Everyone's piling on this guy but I'm gonna second what he's saying. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, it ain't. The controls feel sluggish and unresponsive, on KB+M or a controller.

Still might give both of them another shot sometime though. They are interesting, even if they both control and explain their gameplay functions about as well as Deadly Premonition.

You havent actually played the game

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
"Metal gear rising this ain't"

Except its got a way, way better combat system than rising. Hell, rising has the worst combat system out of all of Platinums recent games. Im tired of listening to idiots who dont know what theyre talking about on this goddamn forum.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Oxxidation posted:

I don't know what medication you decided to stop taking but it's clearly not working out for any of us.

Say what you will, but im right.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sardonik posted:

Actually metal gear rising owns, it must be frustrating to be so consistently wrong about video games.

Funny, i disagree with you so i have ti hate all games. I like Rising a lot im just not a child who doesn't realize that the base combat gets extremely monotonous considering there's no weapon switching or many enemy types. If you weren't a blithering moron you'd have been able to figure that out for yourself. Comparing Dark Souls combat to Rising combat is pretty hilariously stupid, and genuinely the dumbest thing I've read on this hack site in months.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RBA Starblade posted:

Sounds like someone wasn't able to get past Mistral.

What? The only way to switch out your weapons in Rising is by pausing the game, rendering almost all of then effectively worthless.

E: but no, i just wasn't able to beat the piss easy first boss

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RBA Starblade posted:

"You can't switch weapons, except this way, in which you can switch weapons."

Wow, youre actually dumber then i thought you were. Im stunned. Every single human readig that post understands im talking about dynamic switching in the middle of battle, you know like in DMC, Bayonetta, W101. Any other game in the same genre as rising. But please, by all means fulfill your fantasy of owning someone youre never going to meet on the internet. loving idiot.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ZeusCannon posted:

What? You couldn't beat the first boss of Rising? I bet if I played a laser pointer over my controller my cat could beat that boss. Also Dark souls is overrated honestly.

When i called it piss easy, that was tipping you off that i wasn't being serious. I guess i need to write [THIS IS A JOKE] after every joke post now since this website lets deer make accounts now.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RBA Starblade posted:

You are a very angry and confused man, but I still like you.

e: Despite your wrong opinions about video games, I mean.

Im not confused, I've been abundantly clear and im frankly tired of repeating myself.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Hey if we're doing really obvious trolling that people will inevitably fall for I've got one:

Kingdom Hearts is a lovely franchise for literal infants

"DONALD DUCK SCORED A CRITICAL HIT ON SEPIROTH FOR 9999 DAMAGE!" Yeah that's a game adults play

Try not to step on any legos when you run upstairs from the basement when mom says your hot pockets are done

Ive never played Kingdom Hearts because it looks like loving garbage and im not a woman.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

QuietLion posted:

I got around to trying the Batman games for the first time, and the knife dudes in Asylum are the worst things in it so far (completed up to the second Scarecrow :catdrugs: point). I just want to continue foever with my crazy flying kick combo, and I have to break it to stun those knife dudes.

While the combat is way more fluid in Asylum than in an Assassin's Creed game, I honestly like AC's climbing a little more. I've walked off several platforms because I keep thinking Batman will drop and hang off a ledge if I inch off of it. The combat more than makes up for that little issue, though.

You'll get used to it. Just be happy that it doesn't take minutes to climb up the side of a building in this game.

Also Arkham games are incredible and AC games are pieces of loving poo poo.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Nuebot posted:

So here's a mean spirited anecdote. Well after dark souls 2 came out I played the first one again and screwed around with cheat engine and gave my character the ability to petrify other players instantly, it's worth noting that most of the people I invaded already had infinite HP active. I got a lot of hate mail for it. I felt that "git gud" was the appropriate response.

cheating is disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Yeah, that's a loving hideous heads up display