Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Exotic in Destiny are basically set items. A lot of early items are just random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kazil posted:

If the relationships in Sleeping Dogs were broken then all games should break their relationship poo poo. Doing one date type quest to get a decent perk is way better than doing tons of lovely date quests for a questionable perk.

He probably meant how the dates were part of an obviously cut side story, because when you take the first girl out on a second date you both start referencing things that never happened.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sniper Elite 3 has a thing where they put a bunch of collectibles in the levels but they don't do anything in the way of making them stand out. So if you actually want them you have to basically go into every room/tent and hug any tables.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rick_Hunter posted:

I happen to think he did a good job as Leeron in Gurren Lagann.

He also voiced one of the Digimon on that show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An annoying thing about Diablo 3 is how the stats don't really make a lot of sense. You can look at two items and the first one will have higher bonuses but somehow give you worse stats. You're basically stuck relying on the simplified up/down arrow system. Also, playing the UEE version, I'm not sure I like the changes to the crafting system that requires more materials to do certain items.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Celery Face posted:

Spiderman 2: Tobey Maguire and the citizens of New York City sound bored as hell.

The voice acting in Spider-Man 2 and 3 are both just god awful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason in Shadow of Mordor when you get the Brand power it doesn't really make a lot of sense because you just start using it when someone tells you that you need to build up an army of orcs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The final boss fight in Shadow of Mordor is super unsatisfying. The basic premise of the game is that this guy called the Hand of Sauron kills Talion (the main character) and his family, causing Talion to become linked to a wraith becoming undead. You spend the whole game trying to track him down and kill him, finally getting to him at the end. Then the Hand just kills himself. This makes sense from a story standpoint as it causes the wraith to bind to him instead of Talion. Doesn't change the fact that you don't actually get revenge against him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this is something that Atlus only learned recently. They did learn it, though; SMTIV lets you choose every single one of your demon's skills.

In a way, I actually don't like this, because it compounds with the Demon Whisper system to mean my fighting style is very homogenous. Since the PC learns skills from his demons, and they get strengthened as you level up more demons with those same spells, I'm finding myself just having a very uniform fighting style across my team.

I believe they also added it in for Persona 4: Golden.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An annoying thing about Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is how small the QTE indicators are. They can be kind of easy to miss if you aren't looking at that exact part of the screen right when it happens.

Also there's part of a mission where you're doing sniper support for you team that is assaulting a building and they don't really give you a good indicator of who you're supposed to shoot next so it can be a little too much trial and error.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I feel like there are a lot of parts in the game where I don't really know what i'm supposed to do. The orders given seem so vague that I just try different things and keep failing until I do it right. I can't think of any offhand but the one you mentioned I definitely had a problem with.

The flipside is when they are clear on what you're supposed to do they expect you to do it right away and will keep harping on it until it is done.

Really the game needs more levels where you're just given a big area to operate in to let you actually use the Exo jump and such.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm finally playing Halo 4 for the first time, thanks to the Master Chief Collection that came out today. My first major gripe... I'm guessing was a common one? I purposefully didn't read anything about the game before now.

These new enemies... specifically the Promethean Knights, take SO many hits. And they're aided and teleported by these flying guys that are as hard to hit as Drones, but can take way more damage. And in itself, this wouldn't be so bad; but this game's ammo seems more scarce than any other Halo I've played by a huge amount. I'll run into a Knight with three flying dudes by him with no ammo, and it's just the worst. Bleh.

The collection is still a great deal. Playing the old ones at 60fps is real nice.

I thought that was a problem with all of the new enemy types in 4. They were all ammo sponges that took way too long to kill.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oddly enough David Cage was able to get special dispensation from Sony for Heavy Rain so that trophy notifications would only show up during loading screens and not actually during gameplay.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The annoying thing about the 3d Zeldas is how long they all take to get going. It was especially bad with Skyward Sword. A more recent annoyance is how in Assassins Creed: Rogue makes you chose a language every time you start the game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While that is kind of weird at least it wasn't as bad as the sex scenes from Dragon Age: Origins where everyone has sex with their underwear on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

No? Dude there are creepy fans of literally everything. You might as well say everything you've ever enjoyed has been brought down by their creepy fans.

The majority of creepy fan stuff isn't integrated into the game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Back on the subject of front-loading game content--I just beat Darksiders 2

While I completely agree with you, I should point out that this came out right when THQ was falling apart so who knows what happened to their budget during production.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The weird thing about Darksiders 2 was that Death had no idea the Land of The Dead existed. Why would Death be doing petty fetch quests for some dead guy? He's Death, shouldn't everyone in the Land of The Dead just do whatever the gently caress he wants? It would be like Ronald Mcdonald walking into a Mcdonalds and having the fry cook sent him on errands.

He's not literally Death.

Anyway, I've started messing around with the F2P 3rd person shooter Loadout since they put it on the PS4. The game's major gimmick is weapon customization but they do a really poor job of introducing you to it. Mostly because when you first go into the screen they fill it with a bunch of options that you can't actually use. There's a bunch of parts to customize but you can't actually do anything with them because you have to buy them first. Maybe I just didn't see it but the game really needs an option to turn off parts you don't actually have.

Another problem is I was playing a stage and apparently there was a time limit but I had no idea how you were supposed to see it. I only knew about it when the game said there was a minute left in the match.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

PS The Tower of Babel's platforming drags Xenogears down.

The most annoying part of that was how there was a slight delay in the game deciding you were entering a random encounter and actually going into combat. You could still move but not hit any buttons, which meant you would be falling off ledges all the time as you move to jump.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dragon Age: Inquisition puts a lot of effort into the crafting system but the game kind of makes it moot by having overpowered "Unique" weapons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lotish posted:

Really? Because I've yet to find a unique that I couldn't hopelessly outclass within one minute of crafting, especially if you have access to masterwork materials. And crafted weapons and armor have no level limits, so I can use item level 20 gear at level 10 if I so choose.

Well maybe I just don't have any good schematics then because of how absolutely lovely the shop/inventory mechanic is. Mostly in how there's no way of knowing what a shop has to sell other than going through all their tabs. I played for a couple of hours before I realized there was a tab for junk that you should sell. But for some reason they stick stuff you might not want to sell in there too, like enemy research stuff.

Another annoyance with the crafting stuff is that you can't modify weapons or armor that party members have currently equipped. This is especially bad with Varrick since the only way for his range attack to go up is add ons for his bow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Assassin's Creed Unity there is a side mission where you are supposed to be solving murder mysteries. You get a dead body, evidence, a crime scene and suspects/witnesses and you're supposed to figure out who did it and accuse the suspect. I was doing one where there was only one person hanging out at the crime scene so I guess they did it. For some reason they didn't even put in one other suspect so I would at least have a chance of getting it wrong.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

scarycave posted:

The key to beating Al Gore, is to gently caress him up with status ailments and keeping the agents under control.Jimmy is really useful for this fight since he can put the agents to sleep.

Its been a while since I played the game but I think the reason his fight fucks people up so much is that he's pretty much the only enemy that really requires you to use the various status stuff. Everyone else is pretty straightforward and you can beat them just by regular fighting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Taeke posted:

Also, that goddamn fart mechanic. Not only was is pointless, it was also very, very poorly explained so it took me a while to understand what you actually had to do.

e:
I did adore the way they implemented magic in that game, though.

I think the only time I ever used the fart mechanic was when the game forced it on me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The scene where Randy trains you in a fart technique almost made me stop playing the game altogether. It is a poorly designed mechanic, he gives you very little feedback on how to actually do it and the game itself isn't any help either.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inco posted:

It didn't have a marker when I bitched about it earlier in the thread, and there was a kid fishing off the pier next to the old man. Those two are what caused me to spend 30 minutes fishing in the wrong spot.

fishing is still boring btw

The stupidest part about the whole thing is after you do it the one time it never comes up the rest of the game. Like, you can go fishing, but you never really get a reason to and are probably busy doing a whole lot of other things.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jaramin posted:

It is absolutely the worst of the 3 games. The bosses are horrible, loot drops are even worse, the areas are either samey or annoying to traverse, and the game as a whole feels like Borderlands 2.5.
That said, it has more interesting set pieces than either of the other two games, they got away from the "wacky, zany" humor that dominated every aspect of Borderlands 2(kinda), it gives you your action skill at level 3 instead of 5, and it adds frost damage while ditching the miserable pile of poo poo that was the slag mechanic from BL2.
If you have friends, you'll enjoy asphyxiating each other.

That just reminds me of a stupid thing from Borderlands 2. Namely how early in the game they give you a mission where you get to try out an energy weapon and then you don't see one for who knows how long. I sure don't because I never saw one the rest of the time I played the game, now I didn't finish it but I got pretty drat far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dead Rising was infamous for it because it was just so early that a lot of people didn't have HD TVs so there was a bunch of unreadable text on their screen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ubisoft just released the story DLC for Assassin's Creed Unity for free. The annoying thing about this is that to get to the DLC you use a fast travel point in the game world, which is right next to the fast travel point for your home base so you can accidentally select the DLC point instead. They don't ask you if you actually wanted to start the DLC and once it begins you can't actually quit out of it until you finish the first mission, which is fairly lengthy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Resonance of Fate has a weird combat system and for some reason they decided that the tutorial wouldn't be in the starting town. As such when you're traveling to the tutorial you can get attacked by enemies and have no idea how to actually fight them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although the biggest thing that sucks about that image is that the gun doesn't actually look like that in combat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Slime posted:

You can't kill them early, you get a game over if you try. And yeah the chaos thing isn't a good evil meter, it's basically a filth and disease meter. Leaving corpses lying around means more rats which means more plague. That's all it's measuring.

Except it still goes up if you have the dust ability or kill guys using the pylons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The ending of Assassin's Creed: Unity sure is some hot garbage. The metaplot is that you're following Arno's memories to find out what happened to a Sage (a person with Precursor DNA) so the Assassins could find his body before Abestergo. Then at the very end of the game you're told, hey, turns out that this was kind of pointless as his remains are completely lost. Uh.. good job?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The current metaplot is all Sage related. Everyone wants to get a hold of them because they have direct knowledge of the First Civilization and have Precursor DNA. Although the last couple of games have been slow as hell in any movement forward.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apotheon came out this week on PS4 and its an interesting 2D Metroidvania with a unique visual style. One mechanic the game has which is really stupid is your weapons degrade when you use them and eventually will just break. Most weapons are super generic so it doesn't matter too much but there are also special weapons that are hard to get and they suffer the same degradation and breakage. It makes it so that you can't really get excited when you find a cool weapon because you know that it'll just break after a couple of minutes of use.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The start of Chapter 10 in the new Shadow Warrior game is pretty terrible. Things you can interact with glow yellow and for some reason they decided to put the item you needed to continue the stage on the ground in a pool of yellow light so it is easy to overlook. Part of the reason its annoying is because you can keep going into the stage for a little bit more until you get stuck in front of a spinning blade, which almost looks like you can get through because there's a chunk missing from the blade.

Although the stupidest part is that you don't even use the item you pick up (C4) to get past the blade. Instead when you go down there after picking up the C4 all of a sudden you can use a console to turn the blade off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something annoying about Dying Light is the lack of a manual save, even just saving and quit. Especially because the game seems really slow to save during just normal play. If I stop I don't want to have to worry about if the last thing I picked up will be kept.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The exploding zombies in Dying Light are the worst. Mostly because there's nothing you can do to them, any attack just causes them to explode but if you leave them alone they just run up to you and explode. The damage is so high that if one blows up next to you you're just dead. Also the explosion attracts fast zombies. Basically everything about them is completely unfun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

The PSN version doesn't have those which is nice. Nah I mean tailing the guy, it's obnoxious on Big Boss mode.

They actually eventuall patched the game so you could install everything at once instead of piecemeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Dying Light there are three different types of XP/levels and while it works for a while the whole system kind of falls apart by the middle of the game. Its broken down into Survivor (which you get from doing quests and supply drops) Agility (from running around the environment) and Power (from killing enemies.) The problem is how much Survivor and Power XP scales to where you are in the game but Agility doesn't. You'll end up getting 400-500 XP for killing an enemy or 10,000 for completing a quest but still be getting 5-10 for climbing a building.