Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

SirPhoebos posted:

You do know that a mod exists that skips Helgen entirely? It's readily available on Steam Workshop It even has the decency of letting you pick whether you followed the Imperial or Stormcloak guy out.

It's possible they are playing on the console version, which means keeping a save file right before character creation and speedrunning Helgen are kind of your only options. Otherwise yes, the answer to basically every Skyrim issue is "There's a mod (or console command) for that you know."

I like using the Live Another Life one and starting out as a terrified level 1 character in Blackreach.

JebanyPedal posted:

You don't even need a mod. The game automatically makes an autosave at the end of that dungeon that you can forever use to reload and make a new character since it repromts your choices and customization before you leave the dungeon.
If you've actually been playing it over and over you are a tard.

This is true for the other Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, but Skyrim doesn't prompt you to finalize your character so no you can't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Also I'm pretty sure the forced save is at the execution scene, not at the end of Helgen. It wouldn't make a ton of sense because you can gain several skill ups and even a level in the training dungeon.

It autosaves when you get off the cart, which is right before it goes into the character creation screen. So you can skip the long cutscene at the beginning, but that's about it.

Edit: I got curious and started a character from that point. Helgen can be finished in about 5 minutes (from execution to cave exit) if you just run past everything. That's ignoring everything including potions and the lockpicking stuff though.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Feb 17, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

TheSpiritFox posted:

Dark Souls 2 time!

The new Agape ring sucks balls and is the gaming equivalent of treating a gaping wound with a flamethrower.

The entire point of Soul Memory was to stop twinking (a stupid idea in the first place) but then they go and solve it by forcing you to use one of your ring slots to stop yourself from ever gaining another soul, ever. Yes, you can now stop PVPing in one spot and stay there! If you enjoy having two of your four ring slots used with the agape ring and the bellbros ring. Oh, and by the way, I hope you enjoy fighting the new One True Build of poise and defense stacked on top of a 2 handed fast weapon because everyone who's good enough at the game to run their way through it at low level to get some end game gear is forced to choose one or two weapons to max out. No one's having fun with gimmicks and doing ridiculous poo poo anymore because once they've spent their souls that's basically it for that character. They aren't going to switch it up because the only way to do that is to level out of their chosen bracket or to start a whole new loving character.

Nope. Just a shitload of shitlords 2 handing warped swords with a buckler that they'll never use hanging out on their backs and 2 pieces of havel on because nobody's even got time to go farm up a chaos blade at 300k SM.

I guess I understand why they did what they did, it was an attempt to address a complaint that was raised because they tried to cater to casual players and bitching about twinks. They just, you know, completely invalidated the original goal while still leaving us stuck with soul memory and reduced all low level PVP characters down to one or two weapon choices which they can never stray from.

As someone who loves having an inventory chock full of variety to smash and slash and stab things with this is just complete poo poo now.

And because it pisses me off to no end, gently caress From for forcing me to use a ring slot for this bullshit. How loving hard would it have been to create an item that you can't use up that when used prevents souls from being gained until you die or quit. What the hell sense does it make to force someone to handicap themselves in order to have a PVP character? The literal only upside to any of this is the number of people hosting bellbros has risen because you can get chunks for killing greys now and people don't like losing the ring slot so they hang out human in the towers to get to use 3 rings instead of 2.

As I understand it that ring was made to make it easier for people to stay within soul memory range of each other to play co-op more than anything to do with pvp.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Here's something dragging recent Silent Hill games down for me that I noticed that is different than the things people usually complain about : The games don't even take place in Silent Hill nowadays. From Silent Hill 4 onward, none of the games actually occur in the town itself and are at best tangentially related. 4 is possibly the worst offender because you are never even in Silent Hill at any point in the game except for the Forest World which, even then, is just a technicality. After that, Homecoming takes place in Shepherd's Glen and Alex only goes to the town itself near the end of the game (and even then, not for very long). Downpour takes place ALMOST in Silent Hill and by the time Murphy actually gets there, your objective literally becomes "Escape from Silent Hill", which he then does via being absorbed into a flashback. The games have basically nothing to do with Silent Hill anymore and while I'm hoping Silent Hills fixes that, the s in the title does not leave me hopeful.

Like, the "Silent Hill curse" and the whole otherworld stuff loses some of its charm and uniqueness if it can be just magically blanketed over any area as long as the protagonist is a bad or unlucky enough person, and Homecoming/Downpour miss that nuance entirely. Origins, which came out just before Homecoming, while not an extremely good game, understood that; once Travis Grady escapes from the town the fog and poo poo don't just magically follow him. In the ending you literally see him drive his truck over one of the bottomless pits as the fog clears away and reveals that the road was just fine the whole time. Meanwhile, in Homecoming, Shepherd's Glen is just always like that even though its connection to the town and the town's curse is sparse at best. It even has a curse of its own and they still threw in a connection to Silent Hill!

If it makes you feel any better, the upcoming Silent Hill game is looking more promising than stuff like Homecoming and Downpour (which I realize is a really low bar). It's got more competent people known for actually making good stuff at the helm. The demo was pretty creepy at least.

Then again it's got the "OMG Norman Reedus" thing too, so I guess we'll see.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I didn't like Downpour or Homecoming but neither of them have especially bad writing

:what:

The writing in both was loving terrible. Homecoming in particular was basically just a movie tie-in game with different forgettable characters.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

To each their own I guess, but they're really bad and boring storylines. Mostly boring.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

This makes it pretty true to the IP then, since the original Silent Hill lifted a lot of its characters and locations from random movies and actors since they were a small team of Japanese dudes making a game set in America and that was their only reliable source of reference material in the late 90s.

Kaufman is literally just Michael Madsen and the elementary school is composited from the sets of Kindergarten Cop, for example.

This stuff becomes less of a big deal when the plot is actually good and not total garbage.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Classic Silent Hill games don't really have great plots either. The franchise thrives on the setting, lore and characters.

I like this. "Silent Hill plots are bad except for everything that makes up a plot, which is good."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

In Skyrim, I have a small army of people who will drop everything and follow me into danger at a moment's notice - but only if none of the others are coming too. I understand the logistical, gameplay and technological limitations, but it kind of makes having so many of them completely pointless. I could swap them around, but Jordis already has the best weapons and armour I had spare, and she's carrying some stuff for me that would be a pain to switch over. It would be really nice if you could send them to run errands or something at least, even if you can't bring more than one with you at a time.

Also, is it just me or are dragons pissweak in this game? A bandit leader with a magic weapon can still kill me if I'm not careful, but when a dragon shows up I just stand there and shoot lightning at it until it dies. Their attacks do gently caress all. Even an ordinary bear is more of a threat.

If you're doing the Hearthfire houses, you can always make someone like Jordis your steward. Which means they can do all kinds of things that make building the place much less of a pain in the rear end.

As for dragons, they are kind of wimpy until you get to the level of stuff like ancient and legendary dragons which can kill you very easily. It's kind of a weird leveling curve.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

gay skull posted:

Hahaha that's hilarious, but the best part is how they needed text for the dog poster so they went with "DOG KILL CAT".

I know in Silent Hill 2 they took a lot of character names from various movies as well (Angela came from "The Net" for instance).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

I had a problem with one of the older versions of that mod where the character AI would just shut off, and all of sudden Lydia or whoever would just be standing there. You could talk to them, trade with them and so on, just they'd never move again.
While on Skyrim, it was funny how they handed the character Lydia early on and I never once saw a reason to swap her out with anyone else. 1st time through the game, I think she killed more enemies then my character did.

I never use followers and Lydia creeps me the hell out, sitting in my bedroom eating bread 24/7. So she usually doesn't stay in my house very long.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

princecoo posted:

Actually, with the mod I use, they do. Not necissarily perfectly, but they don't just stand around doing or saying nothing.

Oh man, a whole game being followed around by Elder Scrolls dialogue. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I don't think you understand the core of peoples' complaints about what happens in the quest chain. If they had you GO to the college and demonstrate your shouting skills for the guard to let you pass, that would be fine. That's what you have to do to get inside the college anyway whether you're joining or not. But the main quest requires that you become a member so that you can gain access to the NPC you need to talk to, which is not fine. In open world games there's a very thin line between railroading you because that's what your goals in the plot demand, and railroading you into being a part of unrelated events because said unrelated events stand in your way; the mages' college is only the most egregious example, Skyrim does that kind of thing all the drat time. They took the previous games (and Fallout) and put in the "main quest that takes you all 'round the game world" grand adventure, without doing any of the cleanup work to keep the main quest separate from steering you headlong into sidequests.

I agree that Skyrim does the railroading thing a lot, but this isn't the best example. All you have to do is find the guy who sends you after the scroll, which I did on my first playthrough before I got to that point in the main quest just because I explored a lot. It's not like you're cut off from it unless you join the college, it's just an extra optional step to make the player feel like they're doing some kind of investigation. If you're so hellbent on avoiding sidequests, look it up and skip that step.

Septimus also lives really close to Winterhold's very easy to escape "jail" so it's not as hard to accidentally stumble across him as you might think. :shrug:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

(And according to Kimmalah you're all wrong anyway and joining the college isn't even mandatory to complete the main story, so you're doubly dumb)

It's not mandatory in the sense that you aren't cut off from completing the quest if you don't join the faction. But I will concede that to avoid it you either have to just know who to talk to based on guides/previous playthroughs or by finding the NPC completely by accident. Once you find him however, he's not going to be like "I can't help you until you join the college" - it just skips a step and continues normally.

This also might not be super obvious if you haven't played a lot of these games, since there's usually multiple ways to circumvent quest objectives but you have to kind of get into a certain mindset to think of them. And it's risky because sometimes it causes bugs, sometimes it's fine. :shrug:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

swamp waste posted:

Yeah

What's that video where the guy is showing his mom how to play Skyrim and she's like "why does it keep telling me to steal everything?" On one level it's funny that she confuses an instruction for a command but on another it shows how the only freedom the open world offers you is the freedom to steal everything and kill everyone, to double down on the solitariness of your video gaming pursuit and act with total disregard for even these little virtual furniture-people who exist solely for your entertainment. This actually bums me out if i think about it but i'm not sure why

My mom watched me play Skyrim once and left in disgust when I shot a deer. Sorry mom. :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Same thing with Skyrim. You don't get to "deal" with the mages, you HAVE to become one. You HAVE to join. You don't have to do this with other aspects of the game. The control is yanked away from the player; they no longer get to be their specific Dragonborne, they have to become the "magic man" as you say. Which is a valid thing to do, but not a good thing to do. It brings the game down.

Also I don't know why people are mad about Tiggum chat, its literally what the thread is for I thought.

Once again, no you really don't.

Stuff like the Companions or the Blades faction quests are better examples, where you absolutely cannot progress in any way without doing certain things (that a lot of people may not want to do) and there's no way to work around it. You either do it or ignore the questlines.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Mar 2, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Okay? Who the gently caress cares? They have bad controls for a first person shooter too!! :bravo:

Fromsoft does have a really bad habit of putting platforming poo poo in the Souls games even though the jumping mechanics tend to be spotty. Most of the time it's for optional items/areas, occasionally it's not and either way you'll kill yourself a million times trying to make the jump.

Personally I'm glad they changed the jump controls, considering how many times I'd accidentally jump in Dark Souls 1 because I'm in the middle of a fight and forgot sprint with my shield up the whole time.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Tim Schafer hasn't made anything worthwhile ever

I had a lot of fun with Costume Quest as a silly game to pass an afternoon, but I'm pretty sure the concept for that one was from someone else at Doublefine. And holy poo poo it completely went to hell with the sequel.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Especially if if involves a Souls game.

Or New Vegas/any other Obsidian game. I can't tell you how many goon freak outs I've seen when someone made a minor complaint about New Vegas (especially anything plot related).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

When there's very little difference between "PvP" and "griefing", and I've been invaded by more than my fair share of MegaMule clones (seriously, an SL1 one-handing the Dragon's Tooth?), I would say that the only thing more toxic than the blowdart snipers is the community, yeah.

"You had trouble with that boss? Heh, it was no problem for me maybe you just suck." :smuggo: I don't even bother to ask questions about the Souls games anymore if I can possibly help it because of how many answers were just people rushing in to brag about how good they were/how easy it was/git gud etc.instead of giving any relevant advice.

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Corporal Betsy's brief sidequest is some pretty sensitive, well-written poo poo.

It was better than most games' handling of the topic, but it was still a pretty simplistic "pass some speech checks, get her to agree to therapy and everything is magically fine." Then brutally murder the rapist for some cash and chems of course.

Then Betty gets sent to some remote encampment in the middle of nowhere so she can't possibly get that therapy you fast traveled so hard for. :laffo:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

See that's where you hosed up dude. The best part of souls games is exploring and figuring poo poo out. Drop the walkthrough and just have fun finding new paths.

Technically Lords of the Fallen is just a blatant Souls game ripoff rather than part of the franchise. :v: And from what I saw of it, the level design doesn't seem nearly as interesting.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Lords of the fallen is only a "blatant ripoff" as much as every fast paced shooter ever is a doom ripoff. It's a genre that has a lot of room for variation and for devs who aren't from software to put their own spin on it. Most of the people I've seen who say it's a ripoff are the ones who have never played it.

I have and I was mainly talking about less common unique mechanics like the obvious bonfire analogues, having to pick up your lost XP on death, going through fogs to new zones, not to mention having exactly the same control scheme which is also fairly unique. I don't mean "every vaguely medieval RPG is a ripoff of Dark Souls."

I also remember seeing an interview where the devs pretty much said as much (in nicer terms).

In any case my main point is just that the walkthrough thing might not be a bad idea because in the mechanics are nearly the same but the level design not so much.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Jul 29, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

I might want to do that DLC in the future. Is any of that plot-important to a DLC or mission-critical or background fluff? I don't know, all I know is I got a ton of stuff that obviates the 'caveman mode' part of the game plus five different mission start popups in a row. Completely turned off my enthusiasm for a run. Just dropping it means (a) coming back for it if it's handy, important or very powerful and (b) I'm intentionally passing up gear on a non-challenge run, which is always a no-no in a game where one of the core ideas is 'vacuum up everything in the wasteland for your collection'.

By the time you get around to the DLC, most of the gear you get for from the Courier's Stash is obsolete anyway. And the game is perfectly viable without all that equipment, since Courier's Stash itself was DLC that was added later on as a bonus.

If you're feeling brave, go through Primm Pass so you can make a beeline to Novac (and player housing). :getin:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Dark Souls weapons always seem to have a good use somewhere in there, although I can't speak for Grant. My first Dark Souls 1 character was a Sorceror, and I spent most of the game using the Moonlight Butterfly Horn as a secondary weapon, which is widely considered one of the shittier weapons; it was actually perfect for the sort of playstyle I had going.

That weapon is actually considered one of the really really good ones for an Intelligence-focused build, which most sorcerers are. :v:

But mainly my approach to Souls games is to just do whatever the hell seems to be working best and not worry much about the details.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Oh no, I got past it without too much trouble (relatively speaking, anyway), it was just a kind of irritating mechanic to me. I didn't think it was worth my effort to fight him since he doesn't have a boss health bar or a nightmare gate or whatever it's called so I just left him alone after he killed me and moved on.

Like the other poster said, killing him is how you get his armor set - which has the highest Frenzy resistance in the entire game and trust me that will be helpful in some of the other areas of the game. All you really have to do is bait him toward the edge and his bad AI will take over.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Or armor up, cast Iron Flesh and tank your way forward!

Holy poo poo that would take forever.

The arrows on the buttress really aren't hard to avoid at all if you're traveling light. The bad part is when you get to the top thinking you've got a moment to breathe and have to immediately fight that knight on a tiny ledge while the other continues shooting.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Things dragging down dead rising 2 for me : Accidentally walking into boss battles is never fun let alone if you have survivors with you, also there's one fat prick survivor later on that you find shooting zombies, he's damaged his leg so he can't run fast but he's too fat to carry so what's the most simple solution?

Put him in a wheelchair of course, except he's absolutely dead set on shooting every goddamned zombie in a 5 mile radius so you fight your way through hordes of zombies and finally grab a wheelchair, but wheelchairs don't carry over to different areas and your constantly fighting off zombies around and probably accidentally hitting him in the process.
I finally got him to the last area, put him in a wheelchair.......accidentally wheeled him into a wall because of janky controls......and he got pissed off and defected....literally yards away from freedom. Sorry for the essay just had to vent, the rest of the game is quite fun.

I understand wanting to complete as much as you possibly can and normally I'm all about saving NPCs, but I think this would be the point that I'd accept some people just aren't meant to survive a zombie apocalypse.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

Isn't that every build in Witcher 2? I remember the second fight in the prologue literally being the most difficult fight in the game.

I always just Axii the biggest heaviest guys, so that they usually kill a few of the weaker ones and I get a few free backstab hits.

Barring that, those fights aren't really a problem if you just mix it up with any of the other signs.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Pre-Skyrim Elder Scrolls games gave a lot of the keys to power to mages. Not in a way that's necessarily bad even for the warriors themselves, they're usually pretty decent, but the real keys to breaking those games wide open were in the enchanting and spellcrafting, which needed a lot of magical skill levels (as well as actual creativity). Skyrim tipped that in the other direction, and I've said a lot about what was bad about that. Pillars of Eternity also gives a lot of ability to the more tricky classes, but that's a very party-based combat system so that doesn't mean a whole lot.

That's a trend I hate whenever I see it, though. I find melee combat in RPGs to be really frustrating and boring even when it's good, so I always go for the mages. But that usually wind up in a far different frustration, because most of these games don't like you for playing a mage.

The whole strength/melee build thing started a long time before Skyrim and pretty much any playstyle works in that game, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. You don't even really have a "build" in that game unless you're purposely restricting yourself a lot. While spellcrafting was gone, enchanting/alchemy broke the game to an insane degree and neither of those are restricted to certain builds only.

There was a game that came out about a month before Skyrim that's probably the major culprit but I don't remember if we're still not supposed to mention it in the thread. :v:

Action Tortoise posted:

Quen seems like the best answer for any occasion but if you're talking about the Letho fight, you wanna use Aard to stunlock his rear end and dispel his shield while you get some free hits in.

I always found Yrden to work best for that guy. You just set the trap, lure him into it and then you get a bunch of free hits. I always found Aard to be kind of a gamble - it either works really really well or completely fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

kazil posted:

One of these days Bethesda will find a way to make an intro sequence that isn't stupid and boring.

Unfortunately that day isn't the release of Fallout 4.

Well that didn't take long. Time for everyone to play another 100-200 hours of a bad game they totally hate.