Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

WYA posted:

This game looks loving terrible

Preordered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

I know in essence running into a shop and running back out to shoot up a city is nothing revolutionary but I still think this game looks amazing. I guess this is the ps4 version which looks tremendous. I can love without the glorious bullet holes in exchange for the smooth physics and pretty explosions.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

You joke but people in the previous thread were salivating over this outfit.

Who wasn't salivating for the Darkman mod?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

echronorian posted:

I haven't followed this game really and I'm excited for it now, people hype themselves so much (years prior release) they lose perspective.

Those explosions are incredible!! It reminded me of the first time I saw rag doll or reflective surfaces, something impressive that ought to become the standard going forward.

I'm with you on this. Not sure if your supposed to post in the game thread for a game you are following and actually like said game. I believe standard protocol is to spend undue time talking about Far Cry or Sleeping Dogs.

Speaking of other games Assassin Creed 1 was the king of over promising and on its own was not a really great game as half the missions were dull and tied poorly together. That said Ac2 was a phenomenal game, while three tried to be so detailed it was tedious AC4 seems to have corrected much of that again. By this point you would think Ubisofts teams have learned what works and what doesn't in these games I don't see even standard "following" missions to be the same tedious affair it was in AC1, especially for the online invasions.

Review release is something I am highly skeptical over, generally I listen more to goon opinions/reviews combined with general Internet opinions as all too often I've seen a pile of high named game sites rate a game a near 10/10 and proclaim it the second coming of some deity that I end up thinking was a boring dull through the motions type of game. Lo and behold months later that opinion of the game becomes the general one.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Blue Raider posted:

People that preorder are equally as dumb as people that complain about preorders on the Internet.

Yeah people who preorder are ruining the ozone layer.

Lotish posted:

So my wife, who does not play video games, tells me she wants this one. Apparently she's been watching it on tumblr or something. Is she crazy? Is this a (the?) game for non-gamers?

My wife thought the live action prank video was hilarious, and was curious about the game, she's the type that she will rarely play one, but if she likes one will sit by me and watch me play and get into it. I was thinking that this could be one of those titles.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Except your movements will probably give you away

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Sedisp posted:

Oh I know it's what they said I just have a really hard time believing it to be the case. If it is the case this game is hilariously badly optimized to require a midrange GPU but a new CPU. Why in the world are they using Passmark scores to determine if your CPU is good enough anyways?

The graphics are pretty good but I think the key to WD is that it requires 8 threads or cores to work on. That's why the higher CPU core requirements less on graphics.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Sucks they won't release this with so many people with a retail copy already.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

With Steam pre-load up does that mean it will unlock 12:01am EST in NA ?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why is this suddenly delayed into tomorrow??

Yeah I have two machines I preloaded one it have a time if 12am est to unlock. I load it on my main pc and it's giving a time of 1pm est. :confused:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

gibbed posted:

Steam handles this correctly for Watch Dogs (except for DLC) -- it only downloads the assets for your chosen language, thankfully. Game comes out to be about 13GB instead.

steam thankfully allowed me to preload the game and now that it's midnight it's redownloading all 13gBs again.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Well I finally got to play this game, running this on ultra but had to tone down the AA to keep it smooth, honestly it looks great to me on either HDTV or PC monitor.

I really have to agree the driving isn't the best but the game itself is pretty fun. I almost always want to spend my time running around at night as that's when this game looks really fine. It does try to present a story and I can't fault it for that. Have to play around
More in the morning

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

It does take a while for you to use these distractions effectively, but at the same time it's a bit ridiculous that you can storm a place and hack the server from a block away by jumping from camera to camera, including some kind of head mounted camera that walks around hack their server, blow up a few dudes in the process and zip back to your view without ever being detected. Perhaps later missions get to be a little harder, but I do enjoy regardless of the ridiculous factor, utilizing the UbiTraps to stealth in somewhere and stealth out, avoiding detections and completing a mission quickly. That said the driving is giving me GTA IV nightmares, I could never finish that game and the euphoria physics and horrendous indoor missions was part of the reason - bland mission structure and the most annoying cellphone blaring objectives killed that game for me. Personally find dashboard cam equally as useless as third person view, as I can't seem to drive without hitting 5,000 city objects while making it from point A to B. Most of the songs are pretty meh, except as someone said the non-lyrical tracks for the game are pretty solid.

Which I really wouldn't ever care about in an open world game except - driving really well helps in the one mode so far that really shines in this game - Online invasions.

Personally invading/getting invaded has been pretty cool, in my first attempt, I appear in this snazzy sportscar, I seriously wanted to change cars because I suspected it was the default car they give you (I think it is, which is a dead giveaway), but my target was running around like a madman it was very hard to keep up. I created a traffic light diversion accident, then parked my car near it but off on the curb and hacked him. I watched this guy suddenly stop his crazed romp around the city and just pause, and start looking around. He checked citizens, he checked the cars in the accident, he started to look vertically, I thought I had him but at 88% he detects me in the car and runs for the nearest car, I swoop for the jammed intersection except I U-turn around it and pop those street barricades behind me which he crashes into for my getaway.

Another instance I was invaded, there quite a bit of cars around, but I was able to spot the default sportscar rather quickly and I jumped on his hood, like something out of a movie and just started shooting his windshield like a madman he takes off and I stumble off his car. He managed to escape as well but I shot the hell out of his car should have died, then I realized I had a grenade launcher :( so mental note, find higher ground and definitely change vehicles.

-----------------------

I downloaded the ctOS app for iOS and it essentially asks you to login to Uplay or PSN or Xbox Live. Using the PC version I logged into Uplay and tried a quick match, I do not see an option to choose my own game, or connect to it in anyway.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Another thing I don't like is how you will randomly scan someone and potentially start a side mission, you have no idea why there is a potential crime related to this person really and before you know it you arrive in the little circle and accidentally trigger you've been spotted! Because I don't know what the hell is going on, or can't stop the random wife beating from happening because I was trying to be too stealthy on my arrival. Sometimes the scans/profiling gets a tad too ADHD

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

EDIT: :laugh: ^^^

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This just in: invading is awesome.

I got dropped into a game in a fancy sports car and drove towards the objective. Had to.stop for some raised barriers but it turned out it was the perfect distance for a long range hack to the host. So I started it, pulled back a bit, neatly parallel parked on the side of the road and killed the lights. watched the guy frantically run in circles for about 60% until he got too close. It was great.

Probably could have gotten 100% if I had left the car and sat in one of the ones he already checked, just to piss him off.

I love the invasion cat and mouse, it's so early in the game no one knows what they are doing, but setting up traps or your hack will probably be key later on.

Dvlos fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 27, 2014

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Anyone get the ctOS mobile app to work with PC?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

I'm running this on a i7-4770k with 16gB of ram and a r9 290x it runs silly smooth for me at 1080p ultra except textures if I turn ultra textures on it runs well but the stutter stop when changing areas kind of drives me crazy and I don't see much of a terrible difference (running hbdao low and temporal smaa mid AA setting).

The game runs and looks amazing.

====

I am addicted to the invasion games. My last one I realized some things. For starters switch cars the more plain the better. Secondly, there are two stages to online hacking, first to find your target and hit X. But once you do you do not have to activate the backdoor action right away. You have about a minute to do it.

In the meantime you can set your stage. I was able too move my car in between traps. Then hit backdoor. My target was busy jumping around trying to get to a ctos tower. I waited until he was nearly at the top. And activated the backdoor. At 99% when he finally made it down to where I was I popped the pipes before he could get close to my car and I won the challenge.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Is this game best played with a controller on pc?

Playing it like this, connected to my home theater feels like playing on a PS5

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

NeoSeeker posted:

This is such a console game.

If Ubisoft is to be believed, they built this game for the PC first, considering PC's and Consoles are so much alike, I think that argument is moot at this point. However, I have been playing with various settings, I too, would normally have bought this on a console, but I've hooked my PC to my TV, using a wireless controller and I have the best of both worlds. I've tried playing this game with a keyboard and mouse, and even with smoothing turned off its just total rear end.

I'm also getting good performance from either a 670 GTX or R9 290X card in this game, no stutter or hitches at all.

I also finally got the mobile app to connect to my main game.. who knew, you need TWO Uplay accounts for it too work, Ubisoft assumes that the owner of a Ubisoft game, will not have mobile devices in the home to connect to their own game apparently. Took 2 hours to make a new account with the Uplay servers pissing on themselves, but now that it connected I guess its kind of neat to grief the main pc player with your mobile.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

NeoSeeker posted:

It does not matter one bit if this game was created for the PC. The fact remains that they were more focused on consoles in the end. The fact that the system requirements are loving schizophrenic is irrefutable proof in my mind. Mainly because If this was developed for PCs then there wouldn't be such a weird way of it operating on different computers.

Every computer game I have ever played, has users that have some kind of issue with it, there are just no limit to the configuration options for the PCs out there, and no way to Q&A every possible scenario, and sometimes its user problems, or hardware problems, where consoles come with 1 set design for better, or worse. Most cross platform games sell better on consoles, so the bottom line is the bar was set at 8 core setups with 8GB of Ram as a minimum because that's what the PS4/XB1 have and if your PC is at that level great, if it's not on par, well here are some options to turn off and tone down - issues and bugs that arrive are fixed by companies after the fact. This is the way that it is now, for like every cross platform game release.

edit:

JackDarko posted:

I can have everything on ultra except for textures and not get stuttering issues. It's pretty crappy considering I should be able to run the textures on ultra. Has there been any word about potential fixes for this? My drivers are up to date thinking about re-installing them.

You supposedly need 3GB of RAM on you card, or more, disablepagefile (if you have a lot of system ram), turning off MSAA and the amount of pre-rendered frames should free up video card memory. I have been attempting to work this on my main PC as well. Ultra textures work, but as you go from area to area, there's a noticeable stutter that drives me crazy.

Dvlos fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 28, 2014

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

I love watching people progressively freak out as I get closer to 100% hacking on them.

This. A million times this.

Or just break out the grenade launcher when you find THEM.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

How do you do the mission where they are hacking you? I've never seen it happen.

You get past the mission where you get a sample invasion vs some npc it's pretty early on. Then open your cellphone do an online contract 1v1 hacking when you do a multiplayer hack typically you get invaded later on randomly.

incorporeal posted:

It's almost as bad as people who can't stop talking about a game they hate everything about.

Yeah help me out here, what's the point if this after giving your review of I hated it, what's the point of sticking around trashing it? Thought those YCS days were long gone.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Feenix posted:

Online invading is simple but REALLY fun and intense.

Simple for you, cuz your Old School Pandora Tomorrow crew.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

Do they just show up while you are normally playing the game?

If you participate in online invasions you will get invaded when it happens and they actually initiate the activity then you get notified it's happening and you see a radius on your minimap appear.

For mobile devices that want to challenge you, you actually have to accept.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

I was messing around with that pylon launcher thing, stumbled across it by accident, trying to escape from police and launching myself into the air and careening into two people before impaling two lovebirds making out on the corner. Reputation lost. But it was kinda funny.

Attempts to repeat this have had weird results since cars tend to have different speeds I'll often miss and launch the backers of the car, miss entirely, or hit them.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Strategy posted:

This game runs like absolute poo poo and I cannot figure out why

i5 2500k @ 4.1Ghz
2 R9 290 Crossfire
1920x1080

With the new 14.6 drivers I'm getting sub 30 fps, WHY JESUS.

What are your settings?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

So I updated to the latest 14.9 drivers from AMD supposed to improve MSAA and and performance in this game. The bad news is it instacrashed when I accepted a hacking contract online.

It could be how bad uPlay has been it took ages to connect and it crashed when I accepted and it went to load the stage. After that single player worked great but I had to stay away from about 20 mobile app requests.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Bohemian Nights posted:

After thinking about it for a whole 15 seconds, I've concluded that Lille really ought to have been the main character of this game. Playing as the girl with the dragon tattoo would have been roughly eight times as cool as Aidan could ever hope to be.

I think she's in the game already. Aiden calls her "Clara".

fuckpot posted:

Do you mean 14.6 because I'm looking around and can't find 14.9s.

Sorry about that I meant the 14.6 beta drivers.

Dvlos fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 29, 2014

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Sure seems like you only invade players that are also playing in the same section you are - or close enough.

This morning I invaded someone, I get in a car and I am tailing someone who is on a motorcycle and just speeding through traffic he creates a car accident and thats when I hit hack... he speeds off.. I look for a nice place to hide, luckily there is a hill, trees, 2 alleys, and only 1 camera, so I hit the dpad to initiate backdoor (and the guy has to come back to the circle, buying me a little more time to set the scene up.

He returns and is running around looking at the cars first, after about 50% he busts out his gun and starts shooting wildly, NPCs start to scatter towards my direction, keep in mind I am just standing still - I was near 2 npcs that were talking in the back alley by a tree. I am pretty sure the guy is using the camera to check for movements as I peek and see him down the street motionless staring at his phone. So I lob a grenade into the corner, it explodes taking out the car and sends the NPCs scurring BACK to him. I see him wildly trying to figure out what caused the explosion and I duck back into the back alley running with the NPCs I swear this guy was so close to me but it hit 100% and I won.

Immediately after I am invaded, and I had the two accident scenes on the same street still up, so now I'm frantically searching this circle where the NPCs are already flipped out. I'm checking the accident wreckage and running around, I start to panic close to 60% I go back to the accident scene, this time there's a shiny red sports car that I didnt see before there.. or did I? I wasn't sure, so I hauled rear end but before I could get too close ... the car jerks and moves... the guy must have panicked now he gets out and starts shooting me with his pistol but I had already taken out my grenade launcher and I blew up that whole pile of cars/city block. It was glorious.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Palleon posted:

It also makes me think, a decent way to flush out someone as a defender is just to fire a few shots and scatter the random NPCs, the area got clear fast, if you can deal with the police interference.

You act like I won't have a stage set for you when I invade :colbert:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

I bought AC1 and I wasn't happy. Especially with all the social stealth badass rooftop assassin gameplay that was promised. AC2 was a huge improvement in so many areas. But WD does not feel as backwards and as empty as AC1 was with its "social stealth" = sit on a bench.

There is room for improvement. I am sucker for music and audio and I think both can be improved in this series. Controls and handling would be second. I'm actually digging this game quite a bit. There needs to be maybe a 2v2 online hacking mode :getin:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Rookersh posted:

Holy poo poo the Weapons Trade mission. :wtc:

The SoSueMe missions... are serious :wtc:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Rakthar posted:

"Because I don't understand how this works, I am skeptical of it. Also maybe people are just seeing a placebo?" That seems like a weird statement to make.

You can turn the DOF / Blur off, that's just a feature that gets used in some cinematics and its there for you to play with.

There's comparison shots and the mod author explains what he did and why. The stuttering improvements come from changing how the game loads textures.

Here is what the mod actually does. Note it's a 57kb file that mostly re-activates features within the game, and tweaks the texture loading.

Here's my question, why didnt Ubi enable this crap to begin with? Why kill it on PC? Is it to make PC and consoles look more similar, or are the game play issues?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

I have the season pass but I don't see the tbone DLC anywhere does that show up after you beat the game?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

I have the final mod copied in but the first three dialog boxes are blank on my mAin mode.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

I had to reinstall WD, and I copied and pasted the newer TheWorse mod into the data_win64 folder and I'm getting all kinds of weird control errors and for some reason the first three menu items in the main menu are just blank (It was doing this before but my controls at least worked) wasn't there an ini or other file that required editing to use TheWorse mod? All I find online for version 1.0 of the final mod is "copy files to this directory, overwrite any files there and enjoy!"

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Morter posted:

I had no idea this game even had mods. I slightly stutter during car chases and junk...are graphical mods even worth looking at? :(

TheWorse mod makes it look like the E3 demo, I was running the game on an i7 cpu, with a R9 270X it ran the game better with the mods, than without at 1080p, after upgrading to the GTX 970 it runs it at 2550x1600 everything on ultra no AA, with the mod (before I reinstalled) silky smooth at 50-60fps.

This game has boring set on Ultra, but and I'm midway through, I do want to finish it because Im freaking OCD. But I can't finish it without this mod working, makes it look much nicer.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Figured it out, there is a compiled mod that ties a few of the good mods together, you copy and paste folders (the options you want) into a mods folder and an installer puts it in for you and its compatible with the current dlc (which TheWorse mod by itself is not)

Night time shots are even nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Morter posted:

Would you mind linking it? :shobon:

Sure thing.

I used the top link, extracted the files. Like the txt says open mods folder and mod options folder. In the mod options folder look at the effects open them and then pick folder you want and just copy it to the mods window. There are like 5 or 6 options. If you do not copy any folder apparently it compiles the default TheWorse mod option which isn't bad.

Then in the main directory where you made the extraction run the modinstaller app. It compiles a new patch file them copies it to your watchdogs folder it detected my locations automatically too.

• Locked thread