Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Cool, glad someone thought about this! My rig is a 2004 Thor four winds 31p c-class. Ford e450 chassis with the 6.8L gas v10. Mostly I use it to tow this around the southeast:

The boat is a J24. It, gear and rigging and the trailer combined are easily pushing 7500 by themselves.
Fully loaded with water, gas, lp and foul weather gear for and with 6 people I'm approaching around 17 thousand pounds and 75 feet. If I keep my foot out of it, it will get 13mpg. How, I have no idea.

E: well I guess there's generally two kegs onboard at all times too.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Raluek posted:

:crossarms:
Isn't the V10 a 416CID? The 460 that I know is a V8.

Welp, you're right. I'm a bmw guy, those drat cubic inch measurements trip me up all the time. :shobon:

Edited the above with the displacement in liters like I should have done in the first place.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Jonny 290 posted:

e: I believe the Trojans have some juice, because the hydraulic pump for the jacks is wired straight to them, and they extend/retract.
I'm having a similar issue with my rig. The slideout hydraulics are the only things working off 12v and I cannot figure out why for the life of me other than the fact that they 're hardwired. When we're on AC everything works fine.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I let a family member borrow my Four Winds for a mountain trip. They're an hour and a half away and the slide out won't retract. :negative:

There goes my evening.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Made it up to Helen to check out why the slide out wouldn't go in. An arduous troubleshooting session later and I found this. Sorry for the cellphone pics.

:stonk:
A fire of some sort has taken out all the 12v wiring between the chassis and the house. This isn't gonna be fun.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

InterceptorV8 posted:

Dear god, please tell me they didn't keep mashing the slide out button till magic smoke was released.
Np, but they did mention, "yeah, we came back one day to find smoke on the inside of the windows but we couldn't find a fire." They didn't think it was prudent to contact me at that point. :doh: :cry:

Jonny 290 posted:

That looks fun as hell!

That does not!

when rewiring the hausbus i was so paranoid about shorts and phantom drains that I built a little rig to allow me to test unknown circuits, basically let me first put in a fuse to make sure it wasn't dead-shorting, then let me put my ammeter in line to see if it was going to draw juice unexpectedly. At least you get to do a proper rewire job, silver lining?

I'm actually hoping the silver lining is buying this: :getin:
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/rvs/4547840840.html
(you've corrupted me, Jonny)

After thinking about it, I'm done loving with this piece of poo poo, specifically because of what you said: I'd be scared to burn to death in this thing if I didn't spend the next 6 months of afternoons rewiring it myself with better components. Warning to RV thread: do not buy Thor products. They are lowest bidder construction and utter poo poo in every respect. My insurance adjuster is coming out to see it today and if he can't make it spick and span for what its worth, he's gonna be cutting me a check.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Glad to hear it! I just today was able to get someone out to my RV to get the slide out in...now to get it home.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Got the cockpit emptied and ancillaries off the motor this afternoon. Definitely have water intrusion from...somewhere. But I got lots of pictures and a good diagram of the solenoid made up. Pretty sure I'm just going to replace it with a marine style 1/2/all/off battery switch, but fixing this ought to be less daunting than I had anticipated.

Jonny 290 posted:

I'd love to set up a micro teardrop toy hauler, with my car fixit stuff/shop inside, and just enough room on the back for an E30 or a Miata. But as is, I can't justify getting into teardrop land when we've got a queen Serta and flat panels in the Hausbus. Enough shared domicile/vehicles for now, the wife says. Plus, once you learn right turns and where your back axles are, it really is a lot like driving a passenger car.

Even towing a 35 foot trailer behind my 31' doesn't feel any different than a minivan.

its just a 20,000 pound minivan

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
So what's up, RV thread? The interior and charging/12v system in my rig are still in shambles after realizing there's a massive water leak in the slideout. Oh well, it only needs to be ready for the Southeast sailing season which means we have to be ready to leave North Atlanta for St. Petersburg by the 1st of the year.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Jonny 290 posted:

Good LP lifespan, and water heater above average
Expect that LP life to plummet when you get the blowers fixed, unless yours are LP and electric? My hot water heater is on mine so I suppose its possible.

You might find the hot water heater well-insulated as it is on my Thor which might account for some of your fortune on that front.

Glad to hear everything is working out well, though!

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Jonny 290 posted:

(I have become real fuckin' good buddies with marine epoxy)
God loving bless West System.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Jonny 290 posted:

That'd come in handy in the summer too, as this class of rigs from this era can't run both ACs at the same time - there's a front/rear toggle switch for shore power, and the back one is in addition hardwired to the second coil on the genset.

That's interesting to note, thanks. I'm looking at selling/trading my current gas 450 puller for a late 90's pusher to help with hauling boats and to get a bit more underfloor storage. Also, I can't recall if you've mentioned, what are the specs on your genset?

As far as your panel dilemma, the 50--> 30^2 would probably be the easiest way to do it, modifications to the stock wiring, wise.

IV8 is right, too: most parks I've been to in the southeast have limited/specific 50 amp hookup sites that are far less numerous than the 30s.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Jonny 290 posted:

Onan 6500w back there. Has a 30a main circuit, 20a aux.

Good gently caress. Well, with 2 ACs I can see the need, and, I bet they're a mite more inefficient than my mid 2000s unit, but, drat. You could do some stuff with 6.5kw.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Went to take the Four Winds to a party so I wouldn't have to drive. Wouldn't jump. Even with a 7.3 Powerstroke on the other end. Goddamnit, if I have to buy 600$ worth of group 27s again...

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I am sorry to report that mine got too rotten to be safe or livable and went to the great campsite in the sky about 3 months ago :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

jonathan posted:

This is the chassis I am using for my father and I's camping project. I have a travel trailer that is great, but can't really take it places like hard to get to lakes. It's almost finished and just needs a bed and deck winch installed. Basically it's going to take a tent trailer without wheels or suspension sitting on a skid, and drag it up onto the deck and bolt down. Once at camp, it can be slid off onto the ground. similar to a mini bed truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvduZ_wEyGA

Uhhhh, is there a thread?

• Locked thread