Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
This must be for Euros because I see you are missing the ones that also fit into the bed of your truck.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

poo poo is this removable? We don't get trucks here! I will add to the op ASAP!

Most are, that one might not be.

Like this one is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

Added a new type for you dude thanks!

Question time. Its an old self builders problem but do I wire before insulation and boarding up or after?

If it's like a house, you wire before. You using that R-whatever foamboard or fiberglass?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://www.campingworld.com/ and Amazon will be your friend.

Also:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/fan-tastic-ultrabreeze-vent-cover-smoke/58896

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-45192-Sunshield-Insulator-Reflective/dp/B0024E6QX0/

Scott's single ply TP will also be your friend.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

So I have pretty much got my van ready for conversion. Its had some welding needed doing, and some little mechanical fixes. Here she sits as it is... A builders van at its best! 1989 Mk3 Ford Transit with 53k Miles on it. Thats either 153k or 253k.... stupid old odometers.

Revel in her beauty.

http://imgur.com/A108eOp

http://imgur.com/CTLJgLL

http://imgur.com/tADNniG

http://imgur.com/T0CBph2

http://imgur.com/aXTigUe

I should explain at this point I bought this van for £200. It has Tax and Test so thats a steal. Getting over 30MPG too!

The Plan.

http://imgur.com/z5elNn8

The van currently has a bench front seat but with another little one on the way and the one we have already we need more seats so the benches are all fitted with seat belts. We plan for the table to sit between the benches to make a second bed. We will also have massive storage under the permanent bed at the back. Any glaring issues here?

I'd try and add a vent to the roof somewhere if possible. I know it doesn't get that hot over there, but it can really get warm in an easybake oven like that. Gonna build a ladder to the party rack?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Holy loving poo poo thats 102c3 and or D series territory!

E: or H5-60.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/rvs/4470032540.html

These fuckers are a nightmare to work on, but god its beautiful.

the first CAD bus ever built

Ugh, listed as a Burning Man art car. Hope that doesn't get left out at BM and trashed.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Welcome to our "new" motorhome!

sorta NWS i cuss a lot and make bad jokes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfqVIrIELz4

Really excited to get started on renovation.

FREE CHEVY/GM STEERING WHEEL WITH EVERY 454 YOU BUY!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Oh yeah, if you really get sick of those cabinet doors, just have some real ones out of real wood made at a real cabinet shop.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Think so? I was pondering trying that Rustoleum Kitchen Transformations kit, it's basically deglosser, stain and a glaze. "No Sanding". New drawer pulls and hardware all around, I think those will help too.

I have never heard of these things, so I am not sure. Yeah, drawer pulls and poo poo are pretty cheap if they didn't gently caress up and use an RV only size on things.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Check the pressure switches, those fuckers like to get gummed up like you wouldn't believe. But if it's all of them, pray there isn't a switch somewhere turned off.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

IV8 wins - the little pigtails to all the door switches are cut. Guessing they started failing closed and they got direct with a solution.

WHOOT! What did I win??

Really though, those little bulbs can get hot as gently caress and melt the light cover, if you are Oprah Rich® you might see about LED replacement bulbs. Also do you have standard sized bulbs in just a couple of lights inside? Not sure if you do, but those are your 120v lights if you have a split system. If you have them, and the new EPA "green" bulbs in them, they will blow like clockwork every couple of months. You'll have to carry a fuckload of replacements. Those little 12v bulbs will last forever (in most cases longer than the plastic light coverings).

You should go with the green and yellow and get some fake brushed brass and go full on 1970's pimp daddy party pad.

Also, you are going to want to score a Camco Fridge Airator or something like that, or wire in a squirrel cage fan to the fridge, because surprise surprise, there isn't anything in the fridge to move air, and if you are really sick of the way the fridge looks, I'm pretty sure Domestic makes replacement fridge door covers so out with the wood and in with black or brushed stainless.

Oh yeah, don't forget when you first start driving that thing, to do the ice trick in the blackwater tank.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

More sunshine! And a crazy dark floor! whatcha think?

daylights gone sorry for the lovely iphone flash pic

That's really yellow isn't it?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Found the two hidden bolts that held the front TV down. It's out. And, after I removed that, I noticed on the 12v wall plate a red LED,and a switch. Ha! I found the phantom 12V load - the antenna amplifier!

And that system isn't going to do anything anymore since it's old school UHF/VHF.

That and most parks have free cable anyway.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

bandman posted:

oh god how did these get here i am not good with campers...

The streetside wall (above) is in decent shape. A little deterioration at the corners, nothing too bad

The curbside wall, however...

...is loving destroyed. That panel on the ground there just fell the gently caress off when I took the skin off. I am amazed the whole thing didn't explode into a cloud of splinters on the interstate when we hauled it home.

We knew that we were replacing all of the wood under the skins when we bought it, which is why we only paid $600 for it. I'm just amazed at how bad it really was on that side.

edit: christ on a loving bicycle, I didn't realize how bad those pics were. Serves me right working till 11:30 PM, I suppose. I'll get some good pics of the carnage tomorrow afternoon.

Holy poo poo. Magic was holding that side up. Did you kick in some 2x4 to hold up the roof?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Das Volk posted:

I know this is probably a long shot, but are there any decent places up in Reno to rent an RV? I would have thought there would be with all the people who go to Burning Man but it seems like there's just a handful of places, and finding information on them is pretty difficult.

You know what, I was going to say Sierra RV, but I think they stopped that.

Yeah, they did. Try http://www.elmonterv.com/

I think a few of the places stopped renting because of BM.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

101,000 kms, so No signs of mice anywhere.

And all 3 air conditioners work!

3 AC units? Sounds like a Snowbird Special.

Wonder if that Banks would work on my pickup.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

"Jealous" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this. Aside from the headlamp housings, it looks loving mint.

Out of curiousity, since it's a Chevy gasser, what transmission do they put in those? A built 700R4? Something more like an Allison? I can't see your standard van chassis transmission holding up to that weight for more than a month. For that matter, is it even EFI, or carb?

(total RV noobie here)

Yeah, other than the TH475 which is nothing more than a TH400 with a straight cut gearset for first, or so I've been told, it's pretty much the same engine/tranny/steeringwheel combo as a C3500+ of the same era.

Crazy isn't it?

I don't want to even guess how many feet per gallon that fucker gets though.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

According to banks, the power pack in a similar sized RV does this.

I really need this kit for my 3500 then.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah watching the nearly deads with higher horsepower engines than my big truck block me and driver slower on two lane blacktops always pisses me off. If *I* had 800 horsepower I wouldn't be loving the dog at 52mph in a 70 with my blinker on since Las Vegas.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Made it up to Helen to check out why the slide out wouldn't go in. An arduous troubleshooting session later and I found this. Sorry for the cellphone pics.

:stonk:
A fire of some sort has taken out all the 12v wiring between the chassis and the house. This isn't gonna be fun.

Dear god, please tell me they didn't keep mashing the slide out button till magic smoke was released.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

It is easier to load/unload from a toy hauler as well.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

^^^CRAP^^^

That's almost as much as my rig.

neckbeard posted:

This thing looks so awesome - does anyone in North America make anything remotely similar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxvfDTaUVAo

That fukkin' dog lol.

God damned, I don't want to know how much that costs.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Sandbagger SA posted:

sand it down and put on another coat of paint.

So my camper is a good 2ish inches lower than my fixed tow hitch and I want to raise it up so that it sits level or a bit closer to level while I'm towing it. I'd also like to take a little extra ground clearance and do the electric brakes at the same time.

Should I just get a new axle with everything together? How impossible will it be to get a new axle with brakes for a 71 scotsman?

Two inches is no problem for a flip, my axles have been flipped for 4x4 use with electric brakes.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Sandbagger SA posted:

a flip as in turning the axle tube up? Won't that give me way more clearance than I want?

It's where you move the axle from the bottom or top of the spring and move it to the top or bottom of said spring.

How much you gain or lose depends on what pads are on your axle and poo poo.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Sandbagger SA posted:

Oh you mean going to a spring over axle configuration?

Google confirms that this is exactly what you mean.

basically like this:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll150/Newblue2008/DSC00239.jpg

And then there's this where someone has completely turned the tube upside down.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee59/blazair/TRAILER/e446.jpg

Oh you have the axles with the offset? But yeah, picture one was what I was talking about.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Sandbagger SA posted:

The problem I'm having is both lights work but only the driver's side lamp will blink when I use the turn signal.

What about four-ways?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

jonathan posted:

So the new truck I purchased a couple weeks back, might lose it in a divorce lol.
On the plus side, might be single !

:frogbon:

gently caress dude, is it sorry or congrats?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

We are sneaking up on one calendar month of RV living.

Big points:

-454's need a shitload of gas, and if your fuel filter is clogged, they will be S A D. We burnt an extra day and $450 at a heavy truck repair shop dealing with this. REPLACE THEM. NOW. BUY SPARES.
-Driving a 20,000 pound vehicle at 63 mph through east Colorado in the middle of the night, while remote-control-seeking for the next country station that comes in, with a sleeping cat on the dash as you kick off your shoes (yay cruise) is one of of the most fun things in the driving. After we got the fuel filters fixed in Salina, we drove thirteen hours with nothing but piss breaks and I loved every minute. It's like driving your living room.
-Cats will yell for an hour or two, and then either find the dash to sleep on, or hole up in a cabinet under the dinette. They will be happy and chill. This part was amazing.
-Buy spare toilet parts. We're currently hitting the park bathrooms because our slide valve died on the underside of the shitter, and I'm having a replacement shipped in as fast as I can - which still takes five business days.
-That little Fan-Tas-Tic vent is going to save your rear end. Make sure it's in great shape.
-Travellers/gypsies are real. Look for the 150k fifth wheels with no sewer hookups and asphalt trucks parked next to them.
-Living in 250 square feet will accelerate your marriage in whatever direction it is going. Mrs and I have not fought once in a month, and have learned that the only thing you can do is to get out and get some fresh air. Keeps you active.
-It is very, very competitive and difficult to get into a good RV park. We are currently at the shittiest park in Denver, and are going through applications and such to get into a better park. Do your research!

We love this life, a lot. We're living very green....minimizing water waste, power usage, trash, all that. My job is very good and very stable, however, so we are considering renting an apartment next month, and letting Hausbus be a weekend warrior vehicle. My work schedule will be 4x10's after training, so we will have 3-day weekends every week, and that's RV bait for sure.

My old cat would scream herself retarded if caged and one day I said gently caress it, and she climbed up on the back of the bench seat and rode my shoulders and purred the whole way. It was like having a fat, furry headrest with neck massager built in.

I've never had that problem with my shitter though, but I kinda want to upgrade to that new throne they make.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

You know what's handy to have?

Dogbones.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55175-PowerGrip-Dogbone-Electrical/dp/B000BUTDCA/

and going the other way as well.

Also

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55255-PowerGrip-Replacement-Plug/dp/B000PGVZ30

a replacement plug end.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

We're testing the orange toilet koolaid this week. Mrs is scared of the blue stuff. We'll see how it goes.

It's not like you have to look at the stuff.

Now just to make sure since you are hooked up all the time, you are closing your blackwater valve and letting the tank get kinda full then dumping it right? You don't want to leave it open all the time, unless you want the BLACK PYRAMID OF DEATH in your poo poo-tank.

Just remember to open the valve when you shower though, otherwise you'll have a surprise!*

*depends if your shower grey water backs into your blackwater tank.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You have a washing machine in your camper? Wow.... That's bad rear end.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-1.0-Cubic-Foot-Portable-Washing-Machine/13346456

These little buggers rock.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-1.5-cu-ft-Portable-Washer/36758182

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Let me know how that hott rod works out for you.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Wrap the sewer pipe from the bottom of the dump valve up a little bit, like a candy cane, then wrap the pipe and tape with that fibertape poo poo.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Or you can just run a extension cord to the post and do it that way.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Almost kind of like the idea of adding another 30A shore cable just for heaters, to a small panel, and then getting a 50a male -> dual 30A female adapter for the pole drop.

That'd come in handy in the summer too, as this class of rigs from this era can't run both ACs at the same time - there's a front/rear toggle switch for shore power, and the back one is in addition hardwired to the second coil on the genset. I could run that line to the secondary breaker panel and we could rock both air conditioners at once no problem.

I guess if you wanted to be really complex, you could wire up a two gang box at the front and one at the back of the RV, and somehow get power to one of your AC (or both) from it. Then just have it wired to a standard 50 amp cord. That way you could have your standard 30 amp circuit pretty much unfucked in the RV, but then have a completely different system for your space heaters and AC. But I would try and figure out how to have one of the AC units on the standard 30 amp, or be able to switch back to it, in case you go to a 30amp only park.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Togaparty27 posted:

In the next month or so I will be purchasing my first Class C. We will be moving from Oklahoma to Alaska and I will need to get all things with the RV ready for the trip. On that note, does anyone know of a good wifi booster I can get to boost the signal to my laptop/ipad from hotspots?

Heat tape.

You gonna need Heat Tape. and maybe tank heaters.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Togaparty27 posted:

Lots of heat tape! I didn't know they had heaters for the tanks. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, tank heating pads aren't cheap though.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

I didn't buy heat tape for our water feed line, I bought the wire stuff that they sell for de-icing gutters. 3 watts a foot or something like that, was cheap, 1/4" diameter wire.

you are going to want a skirt for cold weather; if you're going to be mobile you'll have to get one of the snap-on vinyl skirts, but I strongly recommend doing what I did if you're parking for a while, and just buying 1" foam sheet insulation for a few bucks each and cutting your own. we've weathered several negative-F cold snaps in Denver here with few issues once we got the skirt up.

oh also you want your sewer line heated. because the hoses are roughly 0.4% as strong as ice, if you ever get a frozen bit and move the line AT ALL it will just rip right open.

As for internet, my setup started out as a Ubiquiti Nanostation loco m2 on an extendible paint pole clamped to the ladder, feeding a Mikrotik RB333 that handles all the routing and NAT stuff. We've got comcast now via actual coax, but for that first month, it saved our rear end.

Frost King Insulation 30 ft. Automatic Electric Heat Cable Kit HC30A
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-30-ft-Automatic-Electric-Heat-Cable-Kit-HC30A/100196471

Something like that, but for gutters?

Yeah that's the heat tape I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Didnt even know those existed for RVs! Neat. thanks now I got another thing on my wishlist

Just be careful.

What makes them heat up water fast, also causes them to freeze very quickly and break.

• Locked thread