Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Glazius posted:

Ol' Gabby was a wandolier? No wonder he invented his own language - that way nobody could give him quests.

Truely only a fellow wandolier of such skill like Sam could have cracked his expert Ol' Coot code!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Second Time Around: Cutopia, Part 1

: I really don't have much to do, besides prepare for next year's PallyCon...

Sam took on this quest shortly after finishing Cutopia, because he had to listen to Spencer's request in order to start turning in his stockpiled armor pieces. Fair enough. Let's go back now and actually, you know, help him.

Turns out Spencer just wants some paint and some Fun. A few Alien statues and some spirally paint fixes him right up.

Sweet!

... sweeeeet. I think Sam is going to be a black knight for a while. Let's go help Poppy.

: ... Oh Sam, please help me! She's so scary when she's mad!

We left Poppy to the Duchess' tender mercies! Oh dear! Fortunately nothing came of it.

First things first.

She doesn't really need all those flowers, right?

Then Sam makes the house much bigger and puts a bunch of super-cute baby-blue windows all over it.

Man, I would be afraid of making her jealous.

: Hey Sam, do you think you could help me out with the inside of my house, too? You're the best Wandolier EVER!

I think I know which of these bedrooms is Violet's. Sam gives her a mirror, because that's not too cutesy.

The rest of the mission just involves cramming this place full of pink crap!

: Yay! My place is so great! Yay, Sam!

Maybe. First, you don't let some nutso Wandolier in black armor come by and rip up your entire garden...

One suspects botany is the way to go here.

Hm. Plants... need sun?

Let's try talking about how pretty plants are!

Whoops. Poppy likes to talk about lots of things, but they tend to drive us off-topic! Okay, let's shop for plants--this gets her back on the subject, so let's discuss the concept of pollination.

She's very serious about this.

It's like the game wants me to be terrible. Anyway, bees are good for plants.

Hooray!

well, I'm pretty great that way

She also gives us the figurine of herself!

... she really likes to put Sam in these random shorts-based ensembles.

Anyway, we should really help the Duchess next, lest she become so jealous that she does something untoward.

Chairs! Banners! Columns!

Wall crowns! Pillows! Flowers!!

Beverly therefore gives us mucho eyewear to round out our fancy ensembles.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So at what point are we going to make Sam Fisher?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

He's been fishing this whole game.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

Mehuyael posted:

He's been fishing this whole game.

:golfclap:

Second Time Around: Cutopia, Part 2

Now that the Duchess has been pacified, let's move on to helping our actual friends. Who... just want to help the Duchess. Oh, well.

So... Duchess Beverly wants a more traditional castle, and she wants us to achieve this through the medium of paint.

No problem! Sam just paints everything a traditionally-boring shade of gray stone until Daniel seems satisfied.

Daniel busts out the Hopper figurine as thanks! Or maybe just to get rid of it, I don't know.

That seems reasonable. He wants it to be both Spooky and Cute, because of course he does, and also, aww.

A rose garden for Daniel and tombstones for Violet. Also, a seance circle! Everyone loves the seance circle! Even Buddy!

Also, a quick coat of Brains paint. For that certain je ne sais quoi.

Three guesses.

Yup.

So, yeah, Violet prefers the prison tower to living amidst the riot of pink that is Poppy's house. I can't say I blame her.

She's not actually asking for Spooky stuff, though! I guess the location is spooky enough on its own. She just wants to be comfortable and have a little fun.

Sam takes down the temporary staircase and shuffles the pumpkins out of his way, giving himself room to work.

We can give her spooky furniture anyway. That should be okay. ... her dining table has clawed feet, that's awesome.

A quick coat of vine-y paint to bring the room together!

Violet ponders for a moment.

Oh no! She's emotionally torn! Apparently it's our job to make her stay here, though, so let's start out by talking about how nice Cutopia is.

I don't think she's buying it.

Sam reminds Violet that she'd have to leave Poppy if she left Cutopia. This makes Violet cry. Meanwhile, Buddy and Lyndsay are trapped behind us and constantly complaining that they can't get by.

You should totally give up all the Spooky things that are important to you in order to stay with Daniel. Definitely.

She's receptive of the idea... oh yeah, remember those giant spiders and how cool they are?

Yaaaay!

: I'll make it back to Spookane someday...

Man, this ought to be gothy as hell.

Oooor not. Cool hoodie, though. Sam will wear it to Spookane!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really, Violet's gift outfit looks like nothing so much as someone who's met with a terrible fate. Look at that splatter.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Second Time Around: Spookane, Part 1

: Think you can make my house look more representative of the Spookane aesthetic?

Them's awfully big words for a game aimed at eight-year-olds.

Anyway, Goth Boy wants a bigger, spookier house.

Sam complies, mostly with columns, fencing, and some mild hedging.

... sure.

Let's see. Move the sarcophagus so that we can put down a dining table, add stone gargoyle fireplace, and, uh, some Blue Ribbons. That's fun, right? People can be comfortable here, right?

Also, pirate skulls.

And some pink paint to hold everything together. Perfect.

Cripes. I realize you had a minor revelation earlier, Goth Boy, but this cheeriness is kind of beyond the pale. Actually, it's... pretty creepy! Good job!

... :allears:

Okay!

That seems logical...

... as does that. So let's...

... stare at the requirements for a few minutes before shutting down the game and going to take some aspirin.

Okay, fine. You want 150 Paint and 100 Cute? First, Sam completely levels the castle ruins.

Once everything has been leveled off, Sam fills the space with platforms.

The platforms are then painted in the cutest possible shade of Cow.

A single bucket of flowers is placed in one corner.

There. It's fuckin' adorable.

Aww.

seriously, that's creepy, quit it

Yes. Yes, I can. Let's, uh, discuss not biting me.

I can see how you might be skeptical, so... hey! Spooky stuff!

Yay!

Since I'm not actually trying to frighten her--I suspect Yuki bites when frightened--let's discuss dark colors.

... cookie? You can bite that!

If we do a Morcubus impression and laugh evilly:

Awww, I'm sorry.

Here's a shiny thing! Shiny things make her feel friendly towards Sam again, so let's do an impression of Buddy instead.

Sam salutes! Yuki giggles! We win!

We win forever!!

... okay, not forever.

So when you say 'weird'--

--right, then!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It was all worth it for the propeller beanie.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

I just love how you decided to just put down planks, paint them a cow color and put a single flower pot in the corner for Yuki. :allears:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Not even a place for her to sleep? You're cruel.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Picayune posted:

--right, then!
Very goth.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that was some pretty quality spitecrafting, but I don't suppose I can convince you to make something a little more reasonable? Like, a rainbow-drenched peaceful meadow with cute bunnies or something?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

flatluigi posted:

Maybe she can break into Morcubus' castle and sleep there?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Crasical posted:

Maybe she can break into Morcubus' castle and sleep there?

Everyone in Spookane does this, Morcubus' castle is so big he doesn't even notice.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

flatluigi posted:

If she wanted Sam to be thoughtful, she shouldn't have been so greedy. :colbert:

Glazius posted:

Okay, that was some pretty quality spitecrafting, but I don't suppose I can convince you to make something a little more reasonable? Like, a rainbow-drenched peaceful meadow with cute bunnies or something?

NO BUNNIES, ONLY SPITE!

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Picayune posted:

If she wanted Sam to be thoughtful, she shouldn't have been so greedy. :colbert:

NO BUNNIES, ONLY SPITE!

Bunnies ARE spiteful when it comes to Yuki. Are you saying she of all people wouldn't find cutsie rainbows and bunnies to be horrifying? :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

As a proud owner of a rabbit, they are capable of so much spite. Like, I had no intact socks left after I got the wrong type of treats.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Yuki is still the best character, but she does have one of the worst 'friend quest' or whatever you want to call these little afterthought quest things. She makes up for it with her conversation. I can't stay mad at her.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Second Time Around: Spookane, Part 2

: Ha! No, seriously, it could be better. Think you could make it a little more luxurious?

Quack.

Some Fun and Elegant stuff...

... all painted a nice shade of Brains for the zombie.

The platform is for... something. Fashion shows, maybe.

For the record: Chesby is the worm that lives in Carl's skull.

Magnificent.

: Although, I suppose things could always be better. If you wanted to, feel free to spiff up the yard out there. You know, making a place feel like a Landmark usually boosts sales by at least 30%.

More spooky, bigger house. Sure!

Cages for the elusive cookie beasts. Also, bacon. Har har, bacon cookies, monkey laser robots, etc.

: You've got to get people to look in the right places, feel the right feelings... it's exhausting! Could you add a few key touches to the place?

Spooky and Tasty make people feel their feelings best!

You know what's spooky? Purple.

Add some refrigerators and kitchen gadgets, and we're good to go.

... and then the game glitches out and won't tell me what she gave me.

Turns out it was a brown shirt. Okay!

: No, it doesn't say quite that, does it? Okay. I'm hiring you to help get that message across, since you made yourself such an EXPERT in messing with my gate.

Yes, well, you're evil, so there.

Blah blah spooky blah blah paint.

Blah blah random platforms. ... it's a theme, okay?

I just like the way the spiky fences fit so neatly together.

: Well, not the real meaning. The real meaning is that my parents had horrible handwriting. They meant to name me Marcus, but they botched the birth certificate...

:allears:

... oh heck yes!

No arguments here!

What's the most evil thing Sam can think of? Making everyone in the world so wholly dependant on Wandolier powers that they can no longer do anything for themselves, sooooo: world domination.

MWAHAHAHA

Let's... just offer advice. He may be friendly right now, but he's still Morcubus.

Dude. Dude. Zombie attack, dude.

Sam zombie-ducks out. Morcubus cheers.

Man! How do you pick? Okay, bats. I know I have a bag of bats around here somewhere.

... um. You know, maybe I didn't think this through so well.

But now I'm Morcubus' best friend and I got a present for being evil, so it's okay.

Sam is now Goth Nightwing. This... I like this.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Holy poo poo. I didn't know Morcubus gave such a neat outfit out. I wonder what the female version is?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I like how you're deciding how much you like whatever NPC based on how seriously you take their redecorating requests.

Picayune posted:

Sam is now Goth Nightwing. This... I like this.

needs that propeller beanie

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Psion posted:

I like how you're deciding how much you like whatever NPC based on how seriously you take their redecorating requests.

needs that propeller beanie

Duck lips or nothing :colbert:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

ousire posted:

Duck lips or nothing :colbert:

Exactly this. Why be Nightwing when you can be Darkwing?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Second Time Around: Trevor Island

And Nightwing goes back to Trevor Island, where Linda's afro is currently consuming Gordon's head. Let's go see what Trevor wants!

: I have no idea what to do for my next play! do you have any huzzah-tacular ideas?

Oh, I have a few ideas. For example, I thought you were uhhhh unforgettable as Count Spegula.

Having traveled to both places, I would say that escaping from Cutopia is both more interesting and more likely to be necessary.

I'm not building you a river. You'll travel the candy forest and like it.

Huh. Apparently he will like it.

: I'll need your help pulling it off, of course.

Of course.

: Oh, Sam, I beseech your aid! I do not wish for my audience to see the same show twice! Thusly, I've made a decision...

: First things first, the stage by my trailer must be converted to tell the story of Spegula's humble birth in the Caverns of Maraff!

Let's strike this set and put up some spooky caverns!

Or, you know, build a 'cave' and paint everything a stony color.

: Now is the time to update the forest scene! Instead of a chase through the forest, it shall be a chase through the Candy Forest!

:allears:

The Candy Forest is adorable, of course, so first Sam needs to clear out all this non-adorable greenery--

--and replace it with pinkery. And some roses. It's... well, it doesn't look like a forest, so I guess this will be avant-garde theater.

: Aha, now for the last Act! We must take Baron Spegula's Citadel of Doom and bring it to the maximum level of evil!

... oh, now you're just being deliberately obtuse.

Anyway, we need to big up the Act III stage.

There, that's a reasonably dramatic fortress of evil.

Why, Trevor, that's downright reasonable of you.

A nice grouping of comfortable furniture and a piano. Also, some columns. Because.

Trevor also tosses out the Goth Boy figure, currently being all sullen and lonely behind the Act I set.

Finally, I am magnificent! Just in time for The Uncharted Isle!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sam looks like a renaissance explorer, perfect for charting the uncharted!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...you know, part of me is wondering if Trevor will just take that conversation no matter what, and his design challenges for you are based on what you said.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Dolash posted:

Sam looks like a renaissance explorer, perfect for charting the uncharted!

There was actual conquistador armor in Agents, complete with morion helmet. I... I miss that. :allears:

Glazius posted:

...you know, part of me is wondering if Trevor will just take that conversation no matter what, and his design challenges for you are based on what you said.

Sadly, I don't think so. (Granted, I've only played through that part twice in recent memory.) Trevor just randomly rejects things like 'the Capital' and 'rivers'. I don't know why. Who can understand the mind of Trevor Verily?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Picayune posted:

Sadly, I don't think so. (Granted, I've only played through that part twice in recent memory.) Trevor just randomly rejects things like 'the Capital' and 'rivers'. I don't know why. Who can understand the mind of Trevor Verily?

Trevor Verily? :v:

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Stephen9001 posted:

Trevor Verily? :v:

Maybe. :colbert:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 80: Nothing Is Wrong Here, Citizen, Please Move Along

We're off to The Uncharted Isle, marked on our map with a... dinosaur skull...

Yep, that'll do nicely.

: Now this is what adventure is all about! Being famous explorers... discovering new lands...

Shortly thereafter, we dock!

: Neat! I want to meet a dinosaur!

: Buddy, everyone knows there aren't any more dinosaurs!

Suddenly:

: Who are you?!

: Oh, where are my manners? My name is Sir Vincent Skullfinder, renowned archeologist, at your service!

: You're an archeologist?! That must mean you've been all over the world! You're an explorer just like me!

: Indeed, my dear! And I'm exploring this island for a treasure most rare...

: A treasure that will be mine forever, just as soon as I have it within my grasp!

btw: I, Sir Vincent Skullfinder, am totally not evil, just putting that out there

Lyndsay is stoked.

: Yes! I've always wanted to be a real explorer! Of course we'll help!

: Excellent! Buried beneath these sands and within the stout rock walls of this island are many ancient bones. It would aid my hunt significantly if you could bring me... shall we say 20 of these bones? Could you do that for me?

: Sure! That's just the sort of thing we're great at!

: That's a good girl! Just come find me when you're done. In the meantime I have other... things to attend to. If you'll excuse me?

Sir Vincent takes his leave.

: Oh, quit being such a scaredy-cat! Let's hurry and find those bones for Sir Vincent!

Lyndsay hurries off.

Jeez, even Lyndsay doesn't say 'please' any more. This job sucks. :sigh:

So, yeah, our first job is to dig up a bunch of bones. We'll... get right on that.

By which I mean oooh, there's a chest under this coconut tree! It contains Mana, Topaz, and...

... pith helmets!

Frabjous.

There's a chest over on this island, full of Simoleon, Bones, Mana, and also...

... a new Scroll, shockingly enough.

Over here in this little lagoon there's a chest full of Mana, which also contains the Prom Night Gonk figure. :allears:

Mining wall: Silver, Electrobits--seriously, why are Electrobits so common, this is silly--Mana, and the elusive Kaiserium!

Weeding chain: Coconut, Mana, Sea Turtles, and a chance of either Diamond or Topaz on the fourth weed.

Over here by the docks, there's a fishing spot. We can catch Sea Turtles here, as you might have guessed from the weeding chain.

Also Stingrays!

And Puffers!

All right, fine, we'll dig for yer drat Bones. We also dig up Jade, Onyx, Topaz, and Mana.

... and a new Scroll. Of course.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Everything continues to be just fine as Sam and Co. learn valuable and interesting lessons about archaeology!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Picayune posted:

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Everything continues to be just fine as Sam and Co. learn valuable and interesting lessons about archaeology!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
One of the facts we'll be learning will be "Just get a wizard to dig stuff up for you", won't it?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I keep misreading Skullfinder as Skullfucker and wondered how the heck they managed to get away with it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Guys, it's fine. He's called Vincent SkullFINDER, not Vincent SkullKEEPER. Much less sinister!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 81: Lyndsay Has Learned Nothing From History

Sir Vincent has a campsite over on one side of the island.

But he's not at home.

: He's not there either! Man, where could Sir Vincent be?

: I told you! I told you he was shifty!

: And I told you that was ridiculous! He is an explorer! Explorers help people! They're good!

: Oh. Uh, okay...

: What, now you're quoting him?! I thought you didn't trust him! You're impossible!

: What? No! That's not what...

POUNCE!

: ACK!

Sam nods.

And flings himself into the fray in Buddy's defense.

And, shortly, wins. Sam does not lose fights. :colbert:

: Who are you? Why did you beat up on poor Buddy? He's fragile!

: Yeah! Like an egg!

: Egg?! Ohhhhh, Gonk hungry!!

: Awww... he's just hungry, poor guy!

: Gonk just so hungry! Gonk can't catch any food! Even crabs too fast for Gonk!

Gonk cries some more.

: Aw, poor fella! We gotta help him, Sam!

: But what about Sir Vincent? He needs these bones for his research!

: This is more important! Gonk's starving!

Buddy turns to Sam.

: We should help Gonk first. What do you think, pal?

Sam nods. Gonk immediately cheers up.

It should surprise no one that Gonk's paper is a Scroll. Anyway, after a bit of fishing and tree-shaking:

: Oh, this stuff looks so cool!

Sam gets a suitably prehistoric Stone Table and Chair, plus some Stone paints.

And it looks like Buddy's running the show now!

: Let's set this guy up with a nice little kitchen and table! It sure beats eating on the dirt!

Well, it's a little more complicated than that. First let's clear out all these random chunks of stone.

Sam puts down a table and chairs--with a seashell on the table for decoration--and then some appliances. The solar panels to power those were already there. Some uncharted isle. Pfah.

Lots of storage!

And then some clover on wooden tables because why not.

Plus a robot.

: Wow, that looks nice!

Gonk, meanwhile, has stuffed himself full to belching.

: That girl's name is Bobaboo? That's weird!

: No! Dino is Bobaboo! She's Girl!

: Look, you guys have to get us out of here!

Man, I love getting to end an update on a good old-fashioned DUN DUN DUNNNN.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Man, Sir Vincent Skullfinder is evil? I never would have seen that coming!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Finally! It's possible to trap Lindsay and Buddy in that cage by leading them into it, closing it and hopping over the wall. Since the island isn't big enough to prompt them to teleport, they stay there.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Isn't this Vincent guy one of the antagonists from MySims Agents?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

He looks a lot like Morcubus, to be honest. When he first appeared I briefly thought that was him.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Dolash posted:

He looks a lot like Morcubus, to be honest. When he first appeared I briefly thought that was him.

When he first showed up in Agents I seriously thought he was Morcubus in "disguise".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Yeah, the up-pointy hair and general aura of spooky does make them look somewhat similar. Sir Vincent is an archaeologist and an homage to Vincent Price, though, so he is totally different. Totally.

Sir Vincent did show up in the last area of Agents. His job was to be a roadblock: he stood in front of the door to the Moon Temple and refused to move until we brought him the treasure from the Sun Temple. Because he is also a self-aggrandizing D-list celebrity who lives to claim other people's discoveries as his own!

• Locked thread