Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Payback - Chicago, IL (June 1st, 8:00PM EST)

The Matches:
  • John Cena vs Bray Wyatt - Last Man Standing
  • The Shield vs Evolution - Elimination No Holds Barred Match
  • Rob Van Dam vs Wade Barrett(c) - Intercontinental Championship

WWE SmackDown!

WWE Monday Night Raw

• The show started with a Wyatt Family promo. I'm told that Bray cut an amazing promo. The crowd sung along with him. Cena's music hits. Harper and Rowan run up to attack but Cena comes out from the crowd and attacks Bray. Cena leaves through the crowd.
    Cesaro beat Sheamus with a German suplex. Sheamus got tons of boos and Heyman and Cesaro were over big time with the crowd.

• Beat The Clock challenge. Winner of the Beat the Clock faces Bad News Barrett at Payback.

• BTC match 1 is Ryback vs. Big E. Big E defeated Ryback with the big ending.

• Fandango and Layla vs. R-Truth and Naomi doesn't happen because Layla gets attacked by the returning Summer Rae after Summer Rae kissed Fandango.

• Daniel Bryan's music hits but Stephanie McMahon walked out and announced that Daniel Bryan will need to hand over the WWE title on next week's Raw so he is being stripped of the title. Many people had trouble hearing her promo because she was drowned out by massive CM Punk chants. In her promo she said that she wondered who she would award the title to. She asks if she should give it to Kane, or Bad News Barrett (that got a big pop), or Triple H.

• Rusev defeated Heath Slater - Lana cut her promo before the match. Rusev beat up all three members of 3MB before the match.

• Backstage segment with the Shield. Rolins talks about is match with Batista later. Reigns has a scar over his eye from the show over the weekend.

• BTC match 2 is RVD vs. Alberto Del Rio. Del Rio wins with seconds left so he's alive in the tournament.

• John Cena cut a backstage segment with Renee Young and The Usos. He's bringing The Usos with him for his match with Luke Harper.

• Batista faced Seth Rollins but Batista didn't come alone. Triple H was the guest announcer and Randy Orton was guest timekeeper. That was what they planned for Raw a couple of weeks ago but they scrapped it. Rollins won the match by DQ due to Triple H's interference. Reigns speared Batista. Evolution retreated. This was a great match.

• Paige vs. Alicia Fox is up next. Paige got a huge pop from the crowd. Paige loses (non-title) so it looks like they'll wrestle for the title at Payback. Alicia went nuts again and dumped a drink on herself.

• Final Beat the Clock match - Dolph Ziggler vs. Mark Henry. They don't beat the clock so RVD is the winner.

• John Cena vs. Luke Harper is next. Lots of Cena chants and Cena sucks chants.

• Rob Van Dam comes out but he's attacked by Barrett with the title. Barrett told RVD that he has some BAD NEWS. Barrett got a massive pop. So RVD vs. Bad News Barrett is set for Payback.

• There was an Adam Rose segment in the ring. He got over huge in London so that may be good news for the character. Basically, he was interviewed by Renee. Rose tells Zeb Colter and Jack Swagger not to be lemons. Swagger interrupts and says he doesn't know how Rose got into the UK or the US. A brawl breaks up but Rose wins the brawl. The crowd is into everything Rose did and sang along with the song too.

• John Cena (Usos at ringside) wins by DQ over Luke Harper. Cena had the match won after the AA but Rowan ran in to break it up and the ref called for the match. The Wyatts beat on Cena after the match. Bray hits Sister Abigail on the stage. The last thing for the TV broadcast is Bray singing while Harper does a 10 count on Cena.
credit report to f4w
--------------------------------------------------------------
Other useful links

WWE Network
NXT Discussion
Link to WWE Network General Discussion
If you're poor as heck this will give you cheap poo poo to eat.
Link to WWE Network Live Events Discussion

--------------------------------------------------------------

i wanna eat a crumpet

woops jumped the gun, stupid eastern time zone

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Well thanks

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Not a bad RAW. Huge step up from last week. They even handled Adam Rose kinda well.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
3MB, mega faces needs to continue.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

that was a strange raw

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

I will never get tired of the Union Jacks.

GMT represent, best time zone.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Sir Jebus posted:

I will never get tired of the Union Jacks.

GMT represent, best time zone.

I wish they would've gotten a victory tonight. It would've been magical.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Shouldn't this just be the "Discussion Thread" if it lost its first name? Also RVD is facing BNB for the IC Title. It's like you aren't even paying attention Grody wow. smh i wish the guy that did this before came back

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Should probably mention in the OP that ADR is a time traveler from the future and Friend to All Children in the World.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

Shouldn't this just be the "Discussion Thread" if it lost its first name? Also RVD is facing BNB for the IC Title. It's like you aren't even paying attention Grody wow. smh i wish the guy that did this before came back

yeah bring back hehu

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

No, like Big E this thread lost its last name long ago.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Batista was in a singles match that didn't suck. I guess Seth Rollins is a wizard as well as immortal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Memento posted:

Batista was in a singles match that didn't suck. I guess Seth Rollins is a wizard as well as immortal.

He hasn't had a bad singles match since before Wrestlemania.

He hasn't had a smooth face in weeks...

I'm sad.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Memento posted:

I know, right?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Memento posted:

It's like Resurrection Man. Every time they bring in a new clone, he has a new power.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Someone better post the Dark Match/Segment from Raw tonight because it was apparently amazing poo poo with Barrett.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

Someone better post the Dark Match/Segment from Raw tonight because it was apparently amazing poo poo with Barrett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dNmp9G17yc

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wade needs John to get him another glass of water.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Wade needs John to get him another glass of water.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Terrible booking concerning Paige, otherwise mediocre Raw.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Don't you know nothing gets your champions over more than having them lose non title matches constantly?

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Daniel Bryan posted:

You would've liked it more if you didn't read the spoilers.

Paige was screwed though, if you want to do that at least save it for Smackdown, give Paige her badass moment, oh well.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Probably the only time we're ever gonna see Barret hit a finisher on trips

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Blasmeister posted:

Probably the only time we're ever gonna see Barret hit a finisher on trips

I wouldn't put it COMPLETELY out of the cards considering how well Barrets been doing under the Bad News gimmick. He may make it back to the World Title picture sometime in the next couple years if disaster doesn't strike again, and once you're there hitting a finisher on Triple H is never out of the question.

Him actually staying down after you do it on the other hand...

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

Don't know why the challenger isn't beating other opponents instead of trading wins with the champ but then this isn't just a problem with the divas division and has plagued WWE booking for years

-edit-

also Triple H's BNB impression rules and his lovely cheap heat is incredible

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Shield rules

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Cesaro's new music is irredeemingly terrible.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Alicia Fox is entertaining and I hope she keeps up the over-the-top dickhead character. Paige has looked like a weak-rear end motherfucker her whole reign.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

oatgan posted:

Don't know why the challenger isn't beating other opponents instead of trading wins with the champ but then this isn't just a problem with the divas division and has plagued WWE booking for years

Yeah she should be murdering Naomi or a Bella or something and demanding a title shot. I guess they wanted Paige wrestling on the show and 2 divas matches for the 2nd week in a row is pushing it :shrug:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Well it is a problem when they don't want to beat any of the Total Divas that aren't Natalya. Who else do you have?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Luke Harper did a flying head scissors to Cena.

I did not see that coming.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

Well it is a problem when they don't want to beat any of the Total Divas that aren't Natalya. Who else do you have?

put Paige on Total Divas then

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Daniel Bryan posted:

An actual Paige/Emma NXT Arrival type match would've been nice, to get the crowd hyped as gently caress for Paige and show it to the world.

Oh well.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

oatgan posted:

Part of the problem is that the Diva's division has been made to look really bad for the last... forever. Most of the matches were poor quality, there were no real feuds or story attention to speak of, and AJ was booked in such a way as to make everyone else look like a complete chump, and then they backed up that perception by also being really bad in the ring in comparison to her.

So my perception is that with Paige they really wanted to revitalize the Diva's division, but they're going about it in a way that amounts to trying to have their cake and eat it too. So they have AJ beat the entire roster at Mania, and then have Paige win the title via a fluke so AJ can become the Diva's Brock Lesnar by vanishing for time off and making everyone wonder when she's going to come back and have a REAL match with Paige. In the meantime, they cast Paige as a green-rear end rookie and have the heel Diva's toss her like a salad in all their matches but still have her win, the idea being that Paige was perhaps not fully ready to take on the veterans of the division, but her raw talent and the fact that she has really dangerous finishing moves keeps her ahead of the curve.

In theory the setup makes the heel Divas who have been previously made to look like jokes like Alicia and Aksana look really dangerous so the division as a whole becomes more credible, and gives Paige a solid character, the potential for an arc as she becomes more able to fight back, and makes her an underdog people will want to root for in a situation where that might otherwise be impossible. Plus it makes her finishers seem like death because they're what are carrying her.

In reality, none of those things are actually happening for most people. Instead of a division full of really dangerous heels and a champion who is out of her depth and struggling to hang on, people are seeing a division full of losers who can't seal the deal when they are clearly better and a champ who is weak and only holding on the title through pure luck.

The REAL problem as I see it with the whole plan is that WWE wants the WHOLE Diva's roster to look good right now. They need the heels to get credible and look dangerous. But they don't want to do it at the expense of the other top faces, those being the Bellas, Naomi, Emma and now Summer Rae. The only top face Diva they want losing is Natalya, and that's because it's fueling a heel turn. Whether they are protecting them only because of their status on Total Divas or because of my assumption that they want the WHOLE division to look strong is another question. But either way they want the heels to look great without the faces having to lose to them. Which leads to their strategy which is making Paige look less than stellar and the heels look dumb.

tl;dr - WWE's plan for the Diva's is for Paige to be 123 Kid and the heels to be Razor Ramon. It's not working too well.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
Oh my loving god you think way too much into all this wrestle stuff. No one's reading that, especially after your Rusev essay.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Strange Raw, but not bad Raw. I need a Vine of DESTINEEEEEEEARRRRGH because that was funny as heck and possibly the most entertaining thing ADR has done in recent memory.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

quote:

Whether they are protecting them only because of their status on Total Divas or because of my assumption that they want the WHOLE division to look strong is another question.

WWE are the guys who had that thing where AJ got the crowd's support by truthfully calling out how the rest of the division was a bunch of washout models who couldn't wrestle like she could, and then those models were the faces because they were on Total Divas (this was including the Bellas, who had been kicking puppies for years and years). It's the first one.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

:lol: Triple H is the best. The cheapest of heat.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Fair to Midland posted:

Oh my loving god you think way too much into all this wrestle stuff. No one's reading that, especially after your Rusev essay.

I find it funny that people on this forum pine for the days when WWE was booked via a character bible and other actual scriptwriting tools and scoff that Vince threw that model out for being too nerdy, but really hate the fact that I try to put a big 10 minutes of thought into why the show is being booked the way it is.

Maybe I went overboard on Rusev, but considering people wouldn't shut up about nuanced Cesaro's "American's are fat," schtick was just because he's a way better wrestler than Rusev is I think I can be forgiven for trying to rub two brain cells together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Trying to cram the Total Divas storylines into the WWE shows aren't helping either. Natalya definitely got the short end of that stick from her "feud" with Summer Rae to what she has going on now with Nikki...which is really hosed up morally.

• Locked thread