Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Motronic posted:

I don't have any zigbee stuff, but I have flattened a coulple of HA instances to start over with the same zwave stick. You NEED to back up the zwave key if you don't want to re pair devices. Otherwise going to need to reset the stick and all devices. You might actually WANT to do that depending on what you have doing on, just be aware some devices are pretty terrible to get into "forget me now" mode or factory reset.

It's all manageable. You'll be fine either way, just various levels of time and frustration required.

If I were to save the key and reinstall would it also list all the dead / missing devices when its done?

Some of my earliest switch installs got borked and I reinstalled them and I end up with a list of Zwave switches in devices and entities for HA that are always off / gone but crap up the list. It's not a huge deal but if they show back up I'll probably just start completely from scratch instead.

e: and thanks, your info is useful ie stuff that I might be walking into not knowing about ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Has anyone had difficulty with getting their HA install on their local network?

Since starting winter break I wanted to update my home network with a new router and also blow up my old HA install and start fresh. The network seems to be working nicely but the new HA is being a real pain.

Setup: HA 9.4 running on a Linux VM on an Unraid NAS. (this was stable with an earlier HA version for over a year, I don't suspect any hardware issues as the cause. I have followed the same guide for setting this up that worked great previously).

Issue: When I install HA it initially points you to http://homeassistant.local:8123 to make the primary user account after a brief wait for setup. I can fill out the new user info and hit submit and then it hangs. At this point I can never access the server through the webGUI again. I have also tried to access it by VM-IP:8123 and for both the IP and the local address at http and https and none will ever connect. When I connect to the supervisor address http://homeassistant.local:4357/ I get this:

And logging in through VNC on the VM console I get this:

In windows CMD I can ping both homeassistant.local and the VM IP and get a reply.

Stuff I have tried:
Turning off all DNS related things (new setup is using Unbound with recursive DoT), old setup ran Pihole (and worked fine with HA on an earlier version in a VM). Ive tried both the new and old networks hardware, installing v9.4 of HA and then v9.3. I've tried too many DNS settings on the HA side, and on the router / firewall to remember at this point.

I've got a RasPi4 sitting around and am going to spin up a new HA Instance on it and see if I can get that working but ideally I'd rather run it on the VM on my NAS as I have been doing so that's not really my ideal solution if it works.

Any thoughts? This one has been frustrating for the past few days.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

odiv posted:

I'm sure you've tried it, but you didn't mention it, so did you kill the VM and start it up after? Does it let you get to the initial setup again as if it never happened, or does it continue not letting you access it?

It restarts fine and goes to idle from what I can see in VNC but no the webGUI never connects again.

I just spun up HA on a Pi4 and it all works perfectly so this is definitely a VM related problem and something that’s popped up in later versions. I used the same setup guide I did a year or two ago with no changes other than a newer HA version and no joy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lowclock posted:

I'm pretty sure I had this happen when I set up the VM's network adapter as NAT instead of bridged in VMware once.

I'll give it a look when I get back to it again, thanks!

What's the thread rec for HA compatible dimmable bulbs? I have a few lamps I'd like to put these in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Anyone got much experience with Siri Shortcuts and Homeassistant?

Using the guide here https://companion.home-assistant.io/docs/integrations/siri-shortcuts/

I've made a few. My plan is to just have the iPhones in the house be the only way to voice activate anything (since my partner will never give theirs up). I've made a shortcut "night night" that fires off an HA automation that turns off all the lights.

I am trying to make one to just toggle on or off the bedroom nightstand light. I can manually click the shortcut in the app and it carries out the desired task, so its interfacing with HA fine. The issue is when I verbally call it from Siri.

Calling it "Night Stand" or "nightstand" just ends up with Siri returning a websearch for night stands...

Calling it "Bedroom" or "Bed Room" opens the Apple Home app (which I have never used) and tries to get me to set up a smarthome through it.

Any ideas?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

IUG posted:

I have a “goodnight” automation in Home that turns off all the lights in the house, so that phrase works.

“Hey Siri goodnight” is all it takes.

Yeah that’s the only one that works so far.

E: I had to call it “night night” so it does not invoke apple home though.

I tried naming the one to turn the living room lights on “Lima Romeo Oscar” for maximum clarity / no conflict with Apple Home and it just web searches Lima Romeo Oscar.

Maybe Shortcuts isn’t up to par still. Googling around on this has been useless so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Total Meatlove posted:

As you’re not using any of the Apple home features, if you disable access to it for the iPhone you’re using under the Settings > iCloud > Apps using iCloud menu and rename it back to bedroom, would that work? Given that it’s clearly understanding you to invoke home.

I deleted the "Home" app entirely. Siri still tries to invoke it though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Total Meatlove posted:

As you’re not using any of the Apple home features, if you disable access to it for the iPhone you’re using under the Settings > iCloud > Apps using iCloud menu and rename it back to bedroom, would that work? Given that it’s clearly understanding you to invoke home.

Despite the app being deleted it still was showing up in the cloud options so this ended up working for at least one of the problem names so far thanks! Now testing the rest

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

airtag on the collar if there is a way to tie those into presence detection for your home software platform of choice. that said i like the suggestion above mine

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

HolHorsejob posted:

Are there any voice assistant/home automation devices (alexa, nest hub, whatever) that can be made to have a clean & simple interface? I bought a nest hub last year and I shut it down because the interface is poo poo and I can't make it not be poo poo.

Like, no, I don't want an endless string of "recommendations" every time I walk into the room, I don't want ads for lovely tablet games every time the screen lights up. I wouldn't mind if it were like and android tablet and I could just get rid of the dumb poo poo I don't want, but there are no customization options to remove the lovely elements that make it feel like a cheap amazon fire tablet.

Do any home automation devices let you set up a clean & simple interface where I can just have a screen with a clock, home automation, and maybe voice control? Is this something I could build on some open-source platform like homeassistant?

I got rid of all the Alexa/ Echo devices and run HA. I use the iOS shortcuts and use Siri/ my partner and I’s iPhones as the voice detection component and let Siri fire off the shortcuts.

Works decently although setting up the shortcuts is a bit more tedious but you can share them with others so only one person has to take the time for it.

https://companion.home-assistant.io/docs/integrations/siri-shortcuts/

E: i also set up a cheap fire tablet as a permanent kiosk that lives on a stand in the kitchen and only displays a control dashboard with our calendar, a weather radar/forecast, the thermostats and the light switches / status as well as another block showing status for any door sensors.

https://xtremeownage.com/2022/07/08/fire-tablet-as-home-assistant-kiosk/

That Works fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 15, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Scruff McGruff posted:

Hm, I'm going to have to try and set this up for my wife. I have been using Mycroft with a little Pi4 and Jabber speakerphone puck as a house voice assistant but it struggles with female voices. If my wife could just use Siri that would be great.

Just a head up Siri refuses to activate some names that overlap with Apple home stuff ex “turn living room on” wont work but “bedroom light” will fire off a toggle light command for HA. Its a bit random so you might have to change the shortcut names somewhat to find ones that Siri will activate. Its not too bad but if you hit one first it might throw you off. I recommend naming the shortcuts random names first to verify functions then rename as desired or allowed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

For what it's worth, once HA is configured correctly, failures should be extremely rare.

I've been running HA in my house for nearly two years now. It controls 17 smart bulbs that can be manipulated by an array of buttons and smart dimmers. It interfaces with my Ecobee thermostat, door sensors on my backyard gates, and a temp/humidity sensor in my garage.

In all that time, the only things to fail were a couple of the Aqara buttons. They occasionally require a re-sync with the hub, maybe every 2-3 months. Otherwise it has been completely rock-solid, even after power failures and Internet outages.

Echoing this.

It can be fussy to get going but once its running its been quite stable.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

New HomeKit compatible presence sensor by Aqara. It uses mmWave and poo poo for crazy accuracy.
https://www.macrumors.com/review/aqara-presence-sensor-fp2/

Man, those went fast:
https://www.amazon.com/Aqara-Positioning-Multi-Person-Detection-Assistant/dp/B0BXWZMQJ3

Wifi only and not zigbee? Ehh. Any idea of homeassistant compatibility?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Video above says no HA yet, but he said he figures someone will get it working soon.

It would still have to be a separate wifi device though right?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

DNK posted:

Is there any good blog or someone wanna make a post about getting started with all this poo poo? I read the last 6 or so pages and the detailed shop talk is neat and all, but, like, is there an overview of the different ecosystems and tradeoffs inherent in them?

Full local vs Fully integrated cloud
Open source vs walled garden
Value vs Quality vs feature-rich
Expanding vs Decaying vs Stable

etc etc. I mean, I’m also interested in someone just saying “this is the best ecosystem, and here’s the cameras, sensors, and other jazz that I think works well.”

Any primers for all this that isn’t an astroturfed ad-filled Amazon affiliate trap?

Couple of things would probably also help get some good advice from the thread:

1. Are you already interested / invested in a particular brand ecosystem (amazon alexa/Echo, Google Home, Apple Homekit etc?)
2. Are you more security minded / do not want to work with a home automation system that connects to the outside world for features (the ones I listed above do this)?
3. How comfortable are you with setting up devices, some light computer janitoring to get things up and running etc? Would you rather just have a more plug and play experience?

Asking all of this because it might help decide what's a good fit for you and then much easier to point you to better guides.

Many itt use HomeAssistant which is a free open source program / OS that can run on a VM, or on a small standalone device like a Raspberry Pi. It's sometimes a bit annoying to do the initial setup but then is generally quite stable. The advantages of HA vs the big commercial products are that you can keep it running entirely locally on your own network and not have it talk to the outside world (unless you want to). You can use a USB hub to communicate with Zigbee or Z-wave devices and this will ensure that all of your smart devices are also only talking to this USB hub on your HA machine locally. This is unlike many of the direct wifi connected devices which can, or have the potential to, share data outside of your network to 3rd parties.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

DNK posted:

Thanks for all the replies!

1. Are you already interested / invested in a particular brand ecosystem (amazon alexa/Echo, Google Home, Apple Homekit etc?)
Not really. We have a Google home mini, Nest thermostat, Apple TV, and a Ubiquiti network (USG, Switch, Access Point, CloudKey), but none of that is really driving any sort of cohesive ecosystem.

2. Are you more security minded / do not want to work with a home automation system that connects to the outside world for features (the ones I listed above do this)?
I’d prefer a closed-loop system for almost everything, but I know my wife will want to check on stuff (I.e. indoor cameras to see if the dog has eaten her food, etc). Im not interested in cloud-connected physical security stuff (locks, doors, windows).

3. How comfortable are you with setting up devices, some light computer janitoring to get things up and running etc? Would you rather just have a more plug and play experience?
Pretty comfortable? I did set up my own home network with prosumer stuff. I can RTFM. I do light coding and database stuff at work. That said, I’m really not interested in delving into the rear end-end of some hobbyists’ GitHub. I’d prefer that someone else has already ran into, asked, and received a stackoverflow answer for any problem I may encounter.

Mostly observation and analytics — cameras and sensors. The only operational/control -ish thing that I’d want to potentially automate (for now…) would be outside lights.

My own recommendation would be HomeAssistant. However the one thing I don’t know about it is how good it is with camera stuff. Hopefully others can illuminate there.

HA guides are all over the place, ill see what i can dig up but given your level of skill and needs it seems a better fit than committing to a smart home ecosystem from one of the big 3 (google, amazon, apple).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TraderStav posted:

This is a horror movie from the early 90s. Just can't place which one.

If it wasn't exactly this, it was a doll like Chucky or some other toy.

Don't buy this

Ughhh I can't remember much but it was lil insect walking drones like this that had some kind of hypodermic needle on them right? What the hell was that movie.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

calandryll posted:

Runaway with Tom Selleck. Though that was a bit before the 90s.

Ahhh yeah I was thinking Tom Selleck for some reason. Thanks

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

So those routers on that website will let me connect to the wifi, and then it has Ethernet ports for me to plug poo poo into? See this was a thing that I did not know existed until 2 seconds ago.

Yeah they are rad. I am using one as a travel router right now while i am on vacation

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ok that Flint thing is about prolly $100 after paying for shipping and/or taxes. That’s not bad.

What would be a “prosumer” equivalent? I’m ok with paying a bit extra for solid networking equipment that won’t choke.

They make updated models of that same product. Hardware shouldn’t be a limiting factor for your described uses so far

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I would want to connect my gaming PC to the LAN via Ethernet, in addition to all my iPhone/iPad/Chromecast etc. I don’t really care about having VPN built into the router or anything like the Flint is advertising.

Mine has a lan port on it that you could connect directly to a PC or to a multi port switch.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I was never able to get Tailscale to connect via the GliNet router sadly. Lot of issues with it on their boards as well. Tried 2 diff models and hours of loving with settings and updates with no luck. Good hardware otherwise though

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Huh, I had zero issues.

Yeah we discussed it itt. Using your posts I recreated the same setup best i could and it never worked for the slate or beryl models.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Anyone know of a pre-made or method to program a "sunrise" and "sunset" type automation for an RGB smartbulb in HomeAssistant? (or if you have an automation code block to share that would be cool)

I have one of those Phillips alarm clocks that basically starts out with very dim very red/orange light and over 30 mins brightens and shifts to white light. It also has a bedtime function that does the opposite. In winter in the northeast I find that it helps a ton for waking up early while its still dark af outside. I want to mimic this same operation for a couple of different bulbs and/or a light strip.

I am gonna test this out with an INNR zigbee RGB A12 bulb and their other stuff has played nice with HA integration so expecting few issues there. I just have not done a long automation that also uses color like that so wasn't sure where to start.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bobfather posted:

I use a shortcut automation to establish an iOS alarm as the trigger.

Then I use a HA automation to turn lights on at red, 1%, delay for a short time, then fade to 2700k at 100% over 3 minutes. This accomplishes a nice red -> intermediary shades and ends at warm white light.

Thanks all this is great.

I've used iOS shortcuts to voice activate HA automations, any particular guidance or resources to establish one as a trigger? Just not sure how to get the phone to tell HA to fire the automation at the new alarm set time. This would be awesome because the annoyance with the Philips clock is how tedious it is to set the alarm etc already.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bobfather posted:

Sure, there’s a few ways:

If you use HA to expose entities into HomeKit, you could create a Boolean Helper in HA that when turned on, fires your wake-up routine. Then in your iOS Shortcut automation, you’d activate that HomeKit switch using your alarm time(s) as a trigger. If you wanted to get fancier, you could even install the Momentary Switch in the HA HACS repository, which would let you create a switch that turns on briefly and then automatically turns off after a configurable time. If you didn’t do the Momentary Switch thing, you’d just program your HA automation to turn off your Boolean Helper as the last step in your automation.

If you didn’t want to do that, you also could set up your HA automation with a Webhook trigger. I think iOS only does GET requests, so make sure that in HA your Webhook is formatted as a GET. Then copy the URL that HA provides into an iOS Shortcut automation using "Get Contents of URL." Your phone may ask you once to confirm that the URL is ok to access before firing, but once you confirm that it is, your phone alarm will then fire the URL which triggers your HA wake up routine.

Excellent thanks! I haven't used homekit at all in my setup so far since I just came over from Android for the most part so I'll try the webhook trigger first and see how it goes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bobfather posted:

Cool. In my opinion, Webhooks are the easiest way to trigger things in HA. However, I like exposing HA entities to HomeKit and then automating off of those HomeKit entities because I don't want to expose my HA install to the internet, so Webhook-triggered automations would only work when I'm connected to home WiFi or connected via VPN.

I need to see how all this interacts with each other but yeah I would not need to fire this one off if I was not at home and I do have my HA set up on NabuCasa etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thanks! I use HACS for some other stuff already. The bulb just came in last night so I’ll check it out

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This sounds like it's a cheap, good option and if it doesn't work I've at least got a device I can repurpose elsewhere.

I wanted to get wide coverage for zigbee in the house as well since the HA Pi lives in a basement corner closet and I've got smart switches 2 stories above on the opposite side of the house, in the garage etc. I grabbed these as repeaters https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SQGG8Z7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and set them up in some intermediate distances and it's worked fine. I use one of them as a smart plug, the other one for now just sits unused but I am sure something will be done with it eventually.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

calandryll posted:

Suggestions for dimmer switches? Preferably something that doesn't require the cloud. My wife has gotten more on board with using Home Assistant so want to get a few dimmer switches.

And what about a robot vacuum or is local only worthless?

Im using a mix of honeywell or GE z-wave and zigbee switches which connect to the zigbee/ z-wave dongle on my Pi running HA. These are local only and have worked great for 3 years now.

GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRD92T8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

That Works fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 25, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wibla posted:

I fell down the home assistant rabbit hole :ohdear:

What's the best bang for the buck in room sensors these days? Temp/humidity in particular, maybe Co2 as well.

I like Aqara (Aquara?) for the first two, idk if they make a co2 one though, never looked

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I made some small greenhouse-ish things, basically metal and glass cabinets that have LED/UV lights in them, wife is a huge plant nerd, has a million houseplants. In each cabinet I have a temp/humidity sensor and each cabinet gets lights / fan / water supply differently so low humidity vs high humidity plants are segregated into each cabinet. The sensors run in each and send a notification if its ever outside a specific boundary for temp or humidity. It works pretty well, ultimately the driest cabinet is no drier than the ambient house humidity, but the more humid cabinet can be maintained via turning on and off a lil ultrasonic humidifier in there. It's neat, and a niche use case for very local sensor data.

For the rest of the house I just look at the humidity % data coming from one of the smart thermostats.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Anyone use an Aqara cube in Homeassistant? If so is there a decent setup guide out there? Got one as a gift and just looking into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a Zigbee color changing BR30 bulb?

I started with the crappy GE bulbs over a decade ago that would just constantly drop off the network. Almost all now have been replaced by SYLVANIA SMART+ ZigBee Full Color bulbs, but their price went from $20 a bulb in 2020 to $32 a bulb today. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0196M5YAS/ is the one I mean.

I have some of the Sengeled A12 versions. I think they make br30 also. Happy with them so far.