Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
anyone want to recommend some decent IP/POE network surveillance cameras? we've been having a rash of thefts in our neighborhood, and I'd like to find out who's stealing change from my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Thanks, Pitre!

Are the dome versions just as good? I think I'd rather have domes, aesthetically speaking, unless they have major drawbacks. Unfortunately, Amazon.ca prices are way higher than USA, 190CAD or so, but I think I'll troll around aliexpress for a decent seller.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Kalman posted:

Wink Hub + Zwave switch = ~ 110 bucks. Non-dimmable (unless you spend more, and have a neutral wire), Siri is a pain. More flexible and can control gangs of lights together without trouble. Requires a willingness to go into a your switch box and wire things.

Hue White starter kit plus switch/bulb kit plus switch guard = ~110 bucks. Dimmable, Siri works out of the box, as does Alexa. Three bulbs, so if the switch is controlling a room with multiple bulbs it might not be a great solution. On the other hand, if each room is only lit by a single overhead bulb in a fan or similar, it'll work fine for multiple rooms. No opening up walls.

Both approaches have merits, pick the one that makes more sense for your house, but both are options.

But if a room is lit by multiple bulbs, you can just add more bulbs and group them together as a "room" in the hue or home app. Unless you're using track lights or bulbs that aren't regular lights, then maybe you should consider smart switches instead.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Three Olives posted:

A room lit by less than 2 bulbs?

We obvious in stupid early adoption phase of smart homes but come on, light switches should act as light switches, if you have to explain to someone how your loving light switch works in your home you have done something terribly wrong. I don't care if you have taped another one next to a guard, you screwed something up.

I think we're discussing two different things. All I'm saying is, if you have multiple hue/smart bulbs in one room, you can group them together in HomeKit as one singular element, so that you can flip them all on with one command. Guest access is obviously a concern, but you can use lutron or insteon switches instead in that case.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Rorus Raz posted:

Got the hue two-bulb pack and hub and tested it in my bedroom. Turning on lights with my watch is rad as hell.

(also returned C by GE, which are cheap and easy to use, but suck)

Can't the GE and Cree smart bulbs also be controlled by hue? I thought there was a big thing when hue killed access to third-party bulbs some time ago?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I just picked up a dahua ip camera off AliExpress for myself, running it with blue iris. Liking it very much!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I have hue bulbs and lutron smart switches, and ever since the Home app came out for iOS it's been extremely nice.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Jonathan; since I know you like overkill: Check out some of the dahua starlight ip cameras with varifocal lenses. I'm running mine with Blue Iris software, which notifies my phone when motion is detected. Low light vision is great, the sensors on those cams are pretty big.

Camera:

iPhone 7+:

Both pics taken at about the same time.

It's a 2mp sensor, don't need much more, and helps a lot with low light. not bad for 230$ shipped, IMO.

Frank Dillinger fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 1, 2017

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
done!

here's a night shot:

aaaand now i can't imgur. if i right click and choose open in new tab its fine though?

-double edit: fixed

Frank Dillinger fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 1, 2017

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Put bulbs in floor lamps and the like, switches on fixtures.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I really wish lutron would do a normal looking switch, the current ones are too busy.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Get a dahlia starlight varifocal turret. Combo with blue iris, done. ipcamtalk is a good resource.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

McPhearson posted:

There are two popular ones, the Kwikset Kevo and the August Smart Lock. With the August you keep your current hardware and it replaces your interior handle, the Kevo is a whole new system. They both use bluetooth to authenticate so your phone is essentially the key. If you have your phone on you the Kevo does touch to open (you can also get bluetooth fobs if you don't want to use your phone) whereas the August automatically opens when you get near the door. They both offer guest codes as well. The big downside is if you want to remotely control the functions of either lock you need to get a WiFi bridge which will add $99 for the Kevo and $79 for the August.

Edit: It seems there is something called the Kevo Convert which keeps your exterior lock and only replaces the inside handle like the August, but you don't get touch to open that way.

If you own an Apple TV, it will function as a remote bridge, for what it's worth. I'm happy with my august, it unlocks when I get home (geofences) and locks a few minutes after I unlock it automatically. Only major annoyance is digging out my phone to unlock the doors if I go for a walk or something and don't trigger the " coming home" automation.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Dahua starlights are the poo poo. Get a variable zoom one, that way you can set up the FOV perfectly. The resolution isn't super great, but the low-light video quality is amazing for the money.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

BeAuMaN posted:

Which model(s) are you guys talking about? and at what price point for non-PTZ bullet?

Don't know much about cameras, but I can fumble my way through the networking end, and setting up a server.

Thanks.

http://s.aliexpress.com/yeAjEjqA

This is the 2mp variable zoom starlight, and the seller I bought mine from. He's a respectable seller, does a lot of sales on the IP cam forums.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
You could try turning off IR and using a different light source. That camera won't be all that good in the dark anyway.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Piggy Smalls posted:

The nest indoor and outdoor cameras are amazing. I recommend

Have you got some day/night sample pictures?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
The Nest cam has a place as a simple, easy to set up and use camera. If you want a serious security set up, then you'd want proper hard wired IP cameras, an NVR, etc.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Burt Sexual posted:

Ah I was reading that as “no, vms will handle it”, lol commas.

Anyways each nest Cam takes about 1.5mbps. It kinda sucks as I only get 10mbps and no faster speeds are available here. Sometimes rural sucks. I lower the resolution and turn off the sound. Also run on a alternate 5g band.

Hope your cams are placed in such a way that whoever they record is close enough to actually identify, because otherwise you won’t get anything more than proof of what happened.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Burt Sexual posted:

IKR lesson for the thread? It’s still good on faces, just not plates

My point is just that if you’re lowering quality of your video, you’ll need more face in frame to be able to get a good, identifiable picture for the police or whatever. If you haven’t, just do some role-play as a wandering crackhead or whatever, then review your video and see how easily you can identify your face. It’s a big help in identifying weak spots in your surveillance.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Philips Hue can do this through the app, it lets you schedule it for certain days/times as well.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

CopperHound posted:

Okay... I didn't realize what a clusterfuck security camera supply chains are. The only direct to consumer vendor I can find that doesn't seem sketchy as gently caress is B&H, but they cost ~$100 more than I was expecting. Is there a cheaper supplier where I don't have to worry about bricking or getting a Chinese interface when updating firmware?

Hikvision cams are tricky (hacked firmware on Chinese market cams) but you can buy legit Dahua cams on aliexpress. I bought two from BEC technology/Empire technology (same guy, posts as EmpiretecAndy on IP camera forums. Ships DHL, haven’t had any issues.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
If you have room in the fixture, you can buy adapters (e12 to e26?)

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Picked up a Trådfri kit today, turns out IKEA has released an led driver unit for cabinet lighting, so I slapped two under my counters. Overall not too bad.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
As soon as you turn it on, someone, somewhere is watching you and pleasuring themselves.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Get some Dahua cams from empire technology on AliExpress. His prices include DHL shipping on most cameras so you get it within a week.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
My Lutron switches have been absolutely rock solid over several years, where my hue lights have had some issues several times. It’s also nice to have lights any guest can use normally without an app or remote.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The major fault with most camera night vision is the intensity, or lack of, the IR LEDs on the camera. You can boost this while not increasing the amount of light around your home by getting an external IR illuminator and mounting it to provide the additional coverage that you need.

The major fault with most cameras during the night is the size of the sensors. Bigger sensors=more light sensitivity.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Dahua or hikvision cams are great, but setting up/installing and maintaining a blue iris system is a hobby in its own right. You’ll get the best possible system for your money, but it’s not just a plug and play system, especially if you want decent motion detection/alerts that don’t drown you in false alerts.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Those don’t look like they come in European variants though?

I need the sync because I have 2 sets of lights in one of my rooms that are plugged into two different outlets, but both outlets are controlled by one switch. So I figure I want to get 2 smart plugs to plug each lamp into, and then a physical button to replace the hardwired switch. (And it should be HomeKit connected because all my other lights are).

https://www.belkin.com/nl/p/P-F7C027/

Looks like regular wemo smart plugs are available, at least.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

sharkytm posted:

I'll jump in and tell you to NOT buy any Dahua cameras off eBay/AliExpress. They'll have hacked Chinese-version firmware, and you'll never be able to update them. There's a great forum over at IPCamTalk, and a vendor named EmpireTech Andy. He sells the cameras on Amazon, and they've got international (not Chinese) firmware. He's been good to me, and supports the cameras better than anyone else selling Dahua. The Starlight cameras are awesome, and I highly recommend them.

Also, if you've made any progress, please let me know. I just rented a shop for my business, and need to get some security cameras/sensors installed. Ditto at my house, now that I'm not going to be there 24/7.

You can find Andy on AliExpress as well. (Empire Technology) if you contact him directly, He’ll sell outside of Amazon/Ali for a bit less.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Everything sharks just said, x2. My dahua 2mp starlights are a great midrange cam, I haven’t had a single issue in years. Bought mine through Andy as well, no regrets.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I’m in an all-Apple household, looking for a smart thermostat for my new house. What is currently the best? I’m not hung up on HomeKit support as long as it still works seamlessly with iOS.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Getting into bed and turning off all of the lights that may be on with one push of a button is pretty awesome.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
IKEA sells a wide variety of smart bulbs that (probably) won’t burn your house down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Motronic posted:

There is (at least for Android). It's kinda janky, but it works.

There’s an iOS app too. Just as janky, but functional.