Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone here have OpenHab running with Homekit?

I had Ikea's setup before, but for Christmas I got a Hue with those bulbs. Turns out that while Ikea bulbs do show up in the Hue app, you can't use the Ikea bulbs with Homekit via the Hue bridge. And since I never liked using a 3rd party server for automating my house, I wanted to move to OpenHab anyways. However, besides the interface being unfriendly, I can't get OpenHab to show up in Homekit. My configuration was copied from their guides online (same IP as my OpenHab server), but I can't get the Home app to see that server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ikea had an update for their app today for their smart app. It mentions support for under the cabinet lighting, which doesn't seem to be something they have listed on their website yet.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sexy Randal posted:

I'm looking for a hidden camera I can put in music studio in the event that someone breaks in and steals my poo poo. This is what I'm looking for:

- Doesn't look like a camera or a thing that someone would also want to steal
- Can record to an SD card either continuously or when movement is detected and overwrite as needed
- Audio recording can be disabled
- Doesn't require an internet connection beyond initial setup and ideally wifi can be disabled completely

There's a bunch of hidden camera alarm clocks on Amazon that seem like they'd work but I'm suspicious of them because all of the positive reviews (of which there are many) sound like were written by some kind of content farm and there isn't much information otherwise.

Does anyone have a recommendation they can make?

How about something like Haven? It might get taken as well, but it sends everything over a network connection as soon as it has detected something. Just get a cheap/used Android phone you don't mind vanishing.

Should have read the whole thing first, just saw you didn't want it on a network.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ferretsrule posted:

Has anyone got any experience with the Ikea Trådfri bulbs? I bought some yesterday with the intention of connecting them to my flatmate's Hue hub but I can't get the hub to detect them.

Yeah, I had the same thing last weekend. My other full-sized bulbs are detected and working fine (and they're further away in the house). But I can't make these light bulbs show up in the Hue app, or in OpenHAB.

(I run OpenHAB, as it was the only way to have Siri control both the Hue lightbulbs, and the Ikea bulbs.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

There's this ceiling fan controller which is constantly in and out of stock at Home Depot.

It says Wink, but it's Z-Wave, so it'll work with whatever.

I haven't used it (yet), but it's recommended on the SmartThings forum.

Does this thing go into the fan, and work on those fans that have pull chains? I want to automate my fans as well, but I have to pull a chain to change speeds. They don't have remote controls.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, as long as its the type with a canopy against the ceiling that has room for the controller part to fit inside. Or at least that's the idea I think...like I said I don't have one, but that's what I've read on the smartthings forums. You turn the fan speed chain to high and the light on and then remove the chains so people aren't pulling them. Then all the control is done from the remote or whatever zwave control you got going on.

The white part against the ceiling in this hastily-googled image:

Ah, mine did have that shaft, but I didn't use that as I'm a taller guy. I'm already able to hit the chains if I stand up perfectly straight, so I mounted mine flush.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Has anyone gone from OpenHAB to Home Assistant? If so, what do you think of the comparison of the two?

Right now I'm fed up with OpenHAB's obtuseness, and I currently lost all my lights when Apple's Homekit decided to be a pain in the rear end. I can't get Homekit to find anything on OpenHAB, and since I didn't like it, I'm starting from scratch. It seems people are talking about Home Assistant on here more as well. However, I'd have to buy a Raspberry Pi to use it at this point (I don't want to run Docker on my laptop, and my Synology can't run Docker). So I have to justify a purchase at this point, and run a Pi for one dedicate purpose it seems. I'm wondering if it's that much worth it over OpenHAB.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Photex posted:

Roomba Update: Works great, cats hate it, wife loves it.

How does one of these navigate a kitchen table with all the chair legs? Does it make it under the table easily, or do you have to put your chairs on the table like in high school?

Asking for a me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

On Friday a connector for the hot water tank finished rotting away, and it took me about a half hour to find out. Enough time for some rooms of the basement to get a nice river running through them.

What's a good, cheap water sensor I can use, preferably battery powered, so I can drop them and forget them? I'm using a Hue hub and a Nest thermostat.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That's night.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

priznat posted:

A potentially cheaper alternative to Hue is the Ikea Tradfri series, which I have a few of. Avoid the dimmer knobs though, they are poo poo.

Does your cover come off when you try to dim the lights too?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

priznat posted:

Yep, the dial also will fall off the bade the magnets hold it on, and one of them then cracked the cover when it hit the floor. Especially bad with kids in the house.

The remote works great though, and the hub has been solid. Overall no problem with adding more bulbs when I feel like it. I hear you can get Hue and tradfri bulbs to coexist on a hub too but haven’t really looked into it.

It's a loving song and dance, but yeah. Right now I have two rooms running from a Hue that have Ikea lights. However, I have two other rooms with Ikea lights that I haven't integrated because it's a pain in the rear end. You have to basically return them to stock settings by turning the lights off and on 4 times rapidly, then hope that they show up in Hue. And if they're too far, then good luck. Also, the built in Homekit export from Hue does not include the non-Hue bulbs. So if you want Siri to work, you need something third party. I've been running OpenHAB on my Synology, and let me tell you about the pain in the rear end that is... in another post if you're actually interested.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

We had a cat breakout the other night when one knocked the screen out of the window and explored our front and back yard at 4 in the morning. (The cat was found and brought back in thankfully.) However, now my wife is paranoid about the windows being left open. That, and with air conditioning seasons coming up, I was thinking about getting sensors. However, is there an option that isn't at $40 a window? I have 10 on my first floor alone that I wanted to put sensors in. Not to mention I was hoping to put in like two sensors in a window so I could tell if they were open "a crack", or if they're open past an inch or two.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

P.S. what's the best HomeKit thermostat? Nest still the leading brand?

Nest is Google, and soon will be even more tied in to the Google stuff. It has no native Homekit integration.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Would I be better suited to use Home Assistant (on a Pi), or to just use Homebridge for the few things that aren't working in my ecosystem right now? I just want to get my Nest and Logitech working with Siri, the Hue stuff is fine already. I have some time to worry about it, since I'm waiting for Amazon to ship me the Chamerlain garage door adapter, and that's what I'm apparently going to need Homebridge for (or else pay for a subscription from Cahmerlain).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone knows why trying to control TRADfri bulbs from Ikea via Zigbee, without using Ikea's own hub, tends to be that delayed? I tried to tie some friends ones into his setup after migrating from that terrible IOBroker to OpenHAB, and they take their sweet time to react to commands. Up to 2 minutes. I can find references to that sort of problem on the Internet just fine, but no solution yet. They did react swiftly in IOBroker, tho.

I'm using OpenHAB now with Ikea lights, but using a Hue Bridge instead. I'm not having any lag that way. (I'm probably moving to Home Assistant however, now that I have a Pi.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I tried to use Wink back years ago when I first was looking into home automation. I ended up not using them for a variety of reasons and returned their janky sensor and kit.

I just got an email from them saying they're going to a paid subscription service.
https://blog.wink.com/wink-blog/2020/5/6/introducing-wink-subscription

So if you used Wink, you now get to look at a $4.99 a month service fee in order to use your lightbulbs. So hopefully RIP Wink (and not that other companies will be copying this).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Nest is owned by Google, Ring is owned by Amazon, pick your poison

Hadlock posted:

but you can DuckDuckGo more than your can read on the subject

Fixed that for you.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I had two cameras in the basement to just spy on the cats when they go down there. One is "Catmera" and the other is "Purrvalence". What should I name my other two cat cameras?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Are there any window sensors on sale that are any good? My wife is always worried we left a window open and that cats are going to escape in the middle of the night.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Isn't there also a limitation of the non-OS version? Can't use plugins or something?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You could do the Chamberlin thing, and put a NFC tag there to generate the action. At least for ios, but you may need Home Assistant for the garage door (or pay Chamberlin, I forget how they paywall it).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My cheap wireless outdoor thermometer died and I was going to replace it with something a bit smarter. I don't really need to tie it to any automation that I can think of, my lights are based on sunset times right now through Homekit.

However, it had this cheap LCD display for the temperature indoors vs outdoors and phases of the moon (that it got from the date you had to set). I would love to replace that part more, kind of how Amazon has a kitchen top display, but not so invasion-of-privacy.

I guess what I'm looking for is something like this:

Three Olives posted:

I agree, there are much better uses.

But not a giant TV screen. Hell, I'd love if there was some hack where you can make an E-Ink display that you can display some of that info, since I don't want to bleed electricity, or be larger than like 5x7. Is there anything like that?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Three Olives posted:

So, a weather station?

Although I have been really tempted by this project if you are into e-ink:

With regards to my 50 inch 4k home office display, it's just running an app that displays a webpage, in my case Dakboard, but there are similar web apps and anything that will display a webpage works with them. We have Chromecast with Google TVs on all the TVs in our house that run Dakboard as screensavers that we leave on 24/7 and I have a cheap docking Lenovo tablet in my office office that serves as a Dakboard display.

Yeah that e-ink screen is a lot more appealing to me. What's the company behind that one? I wouldn't do the newspaper thing, but it would be awesome for the weather station, and at a fraction of the power.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've had a Raspberry Pi for a while now not doing much, and have been starting up Home Assistant again. I've already done some smart home things, so I'm wondering what's the best way to migrate.

Right now my setup is using a mix of Hue and Ikea lights, going through Hue. But I'm also using "Home Assistant" so that the Ikea bulbs could be controlled via Siri (I have HomePods in 4 locations in my house). I have everything going through the Hue hub right now.

For Home Assistant, I'm using a Pi 3+, and a ConBee II for Zigbee. Can I unplug the Hue hub and just use the Pi and ConBee? I'd like to start over as minimal as possible. Get rid of the Hue Hub, uninstall the Hue app from my iPhone, and let Home Assistant and Siri to manage everything in the house.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Partycat posted:

I have DHT22s on the back of an ESP8266 - dead simple to wire it, for temp and humidity. For whatever reason sometimes when farting with HA they will begin to report some bizarre tiny value, but a reset of the board fixes it. Left on its own it is fine.

Huh, you would figure if you were farting around a humidity and temperature sensor that those readings would go up instead.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just picked up the Eufy Security 2 camera set as it’s $150 today. I basically wanted it because of HomeKit integration, to see when the Mail is delivered, and sadly/ironically to see if my nosy neighbor tries to do my yard work again.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

wolrah posted:

AFAIK Tradfri bulbs can be used on Hue hubs. Not sure if it works the other way around.

Yeah, but they don’t let them export to HomeKit. So you can’t normally control them with Siri and all. I had to use OpenHAB to act as an in-between.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have a pair of Eufy cameras and they don’t sell the footage to cops.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

In the Northeast we’re about to get a lot of snow. Is there any way on iOS or MacOS to get a time lapse video from my HomeKit Eufy security camera(s)? Or at least snap a picture from them every 5 minutes and save them on my computer?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mine are the 2k ones, they are a little hit or miss on me getting notifications for when the mail guy comes to the front door. Today I didn't get that notification, but it got me when I went out to pick something off of my yard. That is probably Apple's fault though. I have HomeKit managing the recording to their "secure cloud", and I have notifications for only people, packages, and animals. So it may have seen the motion of the mailman, but since he was bundled up, he wasn't recognized as a person? I got too many false positives when I left the notifications for any motion.

It could also be my internet speed. I only get like 150/30 because I'm cheap and haven't switched ISPs yet.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have a home entertainment stand with two glass door and six shelves. I’d like to run six lines of color changing lights along the top of those shelves, about 2 feet long each. Hopefully something where they all have a home run to a single power adapter. I have Home Assistant and a Zigbee adapter. What’s my best, non-Hue option?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bobfather posted:

But honestly, door/window sensor would be best. The Zigbee sensors by Linkind on Amazon are cheap and reliable.

10 bucks a sensor is my sweet spot for window sensors. But the product page says it requires a hub. Can this be circumvented by a Pi running HA with a Zigbee adapter?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I already have the Conbee II for my Pi. I just wanted to make sure that was enough for these sensors, given the CAPS LOCK WARNING about needing their hub.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have a “goodnight” automation in Home that turns off all the lights in the house, so that phrase works.

“Hey Siri goodnight” is all it takes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a good indoor infrared light just to help a night time camera? To be more specific, we moved our baby monitor from right next to the crib to across the room. But the camera isn’t projecting enough light to make the bedroom really visible.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

MyQ is apparently loving around with their API so it's broken for everyone right now I guess...

Ah, that’s why I couldn’t have Siri close my garage door earlier.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a good, docker, web server for your local weather that serves to a webpage? I was looking at Weather Station 4000 (or whatever it was called), which seemed to be like 80% of the way there. But I couldn’t actually get it to work (the Submit button didn’t work on any web browser out the iPad).

I just want to park an iPad in the kitchen with that info served from my Linux docker server in my basement. (The 90s Weather Channel look would have just been a perk.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yeah, if it's that type of 3-speed chain controller it's almost definitely an AC fan motor. Leave the chain pull on high and you should be able to control it just fine with a fan controller.

I have five fans in my house that are three-speed pull chains that I want to make smart. Two already have smart light bulbs in them (although one fan's set likely needs to be replaced since they're old Ikea bulbs that are starting to misbehave). Otherwise, all the fan's lights work from a standard wall switch. I looked on Google and only found trash. What's a good controller to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Motronic posted:

Okay, the lights work from a wall switch, what about the fans? Can you turn them on and off from another wall switch or do you have to control it with the chain? If you have to control it with the chain, does the fan run if the light switch on the wall is off?

What I'm getting at here is how the fans are wired/what wires are in your walls between the switch box and fan box. The best case scenario is that you have a load wire from your switch location to the lights and a seperate one to the fan. That gives you the most options and will allow you to use a fan/light controller or just a smart fan controller and then a regular smart light switch.

Also, what ecosystem/protocol you want the to be controllable by is important to know.

My fans are all only operated from the pull chain. The lights work from a light switch (but still have the chains, they just stay pulled “on”), except for one fan light that doesn’t have a light switch. I’m using Home Assistant with a Zigbee USB adapter.