Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Hubis posted:

Is there any good way to add multiple e-mail addresses to the 'notification' list for Nest? It's linked to my Google account, which is fine, but it would be really nice if my wife could get notifications as well (at least for "emergency" events like smoke/CO alarms)

Use a unique + address and setup a gmail forwarding rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Warbird posted:

Anyone know what the trigger range on the stock Hue app is?

These words make very little sense. Are you just asking how far away you can be?

If so, it's just about being on the same network, so wi-fi range from your AP.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Work with your cable co. to bury or mask your line, and then put a false line in plain sight.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

IoT security: a separate vlan for every lightbulb

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

deong posted:

god drat it; why the gently caress not?
Yeah it's annoying. I can cast Spotify to an audio group that includes my Google Home, but the minute I open Spotify on my phone or laptop and change the playlist the Google Home drops out.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

stevewm posted:

HomeAssistant is also an option. You just need an Aeotec ZStick.. Home Assistant can run natively on a Raspberry Pi. However it doesn't currently have a GUI configuration. It has to be done via text files. But it is not that complicated and they have very good documentation on their website.

I would caution that HomeAssistant basic setup is fairly easy, but it is by no means easy to troubleshoot or setup automation scenes and sequences. Definitely not impossible for non-coders but it's not entirely straightforward and can be time consuming.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

The thing that kills me about Home + Chromecast is that if I start playing one thing on a group including a Home, and then on my phone or laptop I change albums or something the Home drops out while the Chromecasts continue playing whatever my Spotify account is pumping out.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

HASS is for hackers and developers, and yaml is a widely accepted developer standard. They may work to abstract that over the next year, but that's just how they're choosing to build a community. They want contributors more than users.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Zero VGS posted:

My old-rear end house has a poo poo-ton of ceiling light fixtures with pull-strings, and no wall switches.

I haven't gotten into the smart lightbulbs yet, seemed a bit gimmicky, but now I'm realizing that the Philips Hue bulbs have wireless wall-mount dimmers, so even though they're pricey, it's probably a lot less to go wireless than it is to pay an electrician to run wall switches.

Thoughts on this bulb + dimmer kit?:

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Installation-Free-Exclusive-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B014H2P89O

I also want to combine it with motion sensors to turn the bulbs on when we enter certain rooms or stairways:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartThings-F-CEN-IRM-1-Motion-Sensor/dp/B0118RQWYQ

I assume the wall dimmer switch lasts pretty much forever since it only turns on when you're pushing the buttons, but I don't know about battery life on the motion sensors. Is anyone else doing a setup like this? Can I program something in Smart Things like "turn the bulb on for 5 minutes when motion is detected, and reset the timer back to 5 minutes if motion is detected again while counting down"? To make sure the bulb doesn't turn off then back on while someone is in the room.

Those switches are pretty cool, and they come off the plate so you can have a handheld remote control (or lose it).

I have some of their bulbs in a fixture that was never connected to a wall switch (former ceiling fan) and they're great with that switch and voice control through Alexa -> Hue.

General consensus is it's better to have smart switches than bulbs, but as you've noted when you don't have a switch in the first place the bulbs are pretty good.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So I've gotten some Alexa devices and generally enjoying them, but had an interesting interaction when running into the lights with similar names to rooms problem with Hue:

:v: Echo, set lights in bedroom to dim red.

:psylon: A few things share that name. Which one did you mean?

:v: (mumbling) Oh god...

:psylon: I'm sorry, I was unable to find God.

:aaa:

It would be a lot more weird if Alexa claimed to find god.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I am here for peak laziness.

But also scenes. And in the case of blinds you could use for temperature control in some spots. In the bedroom you could have them open with your alarm. My wife likes to always close some of our blinds when we leave the house, so that could be automated (since I forget so frequently).

But mostly for peak laziness, and so I have one extra thing to unplug when the robots take over.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

So, I just finished installing a Rheem heat pump water heater with EcoNet. Expensive for a water heater ($1200 vs $500 for a conventional), but supposedly I'm going to save $400+ a year in energy savings.

Anyway, it's got an app for setting water temperature and changing between energy saving modes. It's OK. I wouldn't have paid extra for it, but its kinda neat and homeassistant supports it so I could set it up to change modes based on where I am or the temperature outside or whether it's a full moon.

This brings me to my next item: I've finally got around to really digging in with Home Assistant and man it's pretty cool! I'm running it on a Raspberry Pi via hass.io. I've linked it up to smartthings and basically just use the smartthings as a bridge to zwave and zigbee devices and do all my automation in home assistant.

"homeassistant", "home assistant", "Home Assistant"? gently caress if I know. This thing.

I call it HASS now and use the Hassio containerized version on a r-pi3.

I love it. It's on-premise so I can secure it. It has tremendous device support, but has a massive learning curve to be able to configure and automate the way you want. If you are semi-technical and willing to spend many hours you will become proficient. But if you want something where you do everything in a web interface and it mostly works the first time, it's not something I would recommend.

I am in the process of setting up lights in several rooms to activate when someone enters and turn off after inactivity. It's going to take some time to find the right sensors and have them professionally installed. The programming on HASS should take part of a Saturday.

I imagine the community of script examples will grow very rapidly so you can borrow and tweak rather than have to create from scratch.

The sun and moon sensors are one of my favorites. On the more ridiculous end there is a coinbase sensor that can be used to trigger automations.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

What is the best device to do presence detection for individual rooms, such that I can walk into a room and have the lights come on in < 0.5 seconds? Home Assistant is my hub, with a mix of Hue and Z-wave devices, as well as assorted lights and switches.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

stevewm posted:

It works... But certain things can be slow. Like retrieving data for graphs, restarting home assistant, and some add-ons.

Hass.io has a containerized addon system that lets you install things like Node Red, PiHole, Unifi Controller, Grafana, Influx, etc..

If you want to use a lot of add-ons, the pi just doesn't have enough power.

How many of those need to be on the main HASS rpi?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Piggy Smalls posted:

Which system is the beat for home automation?

Capitalism + domestic labor IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Finally got the wyze motion sensor going in Home Assistant without the camera and the responsiveness is great.

Easily sub half-second to detect and turn on a light. As long as you don't have to place it such that your first step into a room is perilous, these will do nicely.

So far the biggest caveat I'm seeing is they won't trigger again within 40 seconds, but that's generally good enough for things like lights/scenes. They're also supposed to get great battery life.