Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

McPhearson posted:

There are two popular ones, the Kwikset Kevo and the August Smart Lock. With the August you keep your current hardware and it replaces your interior handle, the Kevo is a whole new system. They both use bluetooth to authenticate so your phone is essentially the key. If you have your phone on you the Kevo does touch to open (you can also get bluetooth fobs if you don't want to use your phone) whereas the August automatically opens when you get near the door. They both offer guest codes as well. The big downside is if you want to remotely control the functions of either lock you need to get a WiFi bridge which will add $99 for the Kevo and $79 for the August.

Edit: It seems there is something called the Kevo Convert which keeps your exterior lock and only replaces the inside handle like the August, but you don't get touch to open that way.

If you own an Apple TV, it will function as a remote bridge, for what it's worth. I'm happy with my august, it unlocks when I get home (geofences) and locks a few minutes after I unlock it automatically. Only major annoyance is digging out my phone to unlock the doors if I go for a walk or something and don't trigger the " coming home" automation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CloFan posted:

My house was fitted for Z-wave already when I bought it on all the doors, windows, and a few outlets. Never really used it much, because it had a proprietary Vivent hub that recently died. Can I replace it with a RPi, or is there some other recommended hub? I have a mac mini without a purpose but I read it didn't play well with Z-wave..

I run all my zwave stuff on an RPi 1 with an Aeontec Zwave USB stick. Domoticz for Zwave control and homebridge to expose it all to Siri/HomeKit.

Your biggest problem will probably just be figuring out how to exclude and then include all the existing Zwave stuff.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
HomeAssistant is also an option. You just need an Aeotec ZStick.. Home Assistant can run natively on a Raspberry Pi. However it doesn't currently have a GUI configuration. It has to be done via text files. But it is not that complicated and they have very good documentation on their website.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

stevewm posted:

HomeAssistant is also an option. You just need an Aeotec ZStick.. Home Assistant can run natively on a Raspberry Pi. However it doesn't currently have a GUI configuration. It has to be done via text files. But it is not that complicated and they have very good documentation on their website.

I would caution that HomeAssistant basic setup is fairly easy, but it is by no means easy to troubleshoot or setup automation scenes and sequences. Definitely not impossible for non-coders but it's not entirely straightforward and can be time consuming.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is there an IFTTT thread on SA or if not a recommended off-site place to go?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thanks! I think I will skip out on implementing the Apple stuff, since nobody in my house uses iphones and I don't really have a good reason for looking at HomeKit stuff. I'll try HomeAssistant on an RPi because I've got one just sitting here doing nothing

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Use Domoticz instead and you don't have to gently caress around with HA's aversion to GUIs.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks for the lock info all, very helpful.

Does anyone have any actual hands on use experience with the Kevo 2nd generation? The touch to open sounds good, but some reviews I'm reading on the kwikset site make it sound like its poorly implemented. Id trust actual goon reviews more though. How reliable is it to open with touch and not have to launch an app?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this question, If not please redirect me.

I want a wireless wifi camera that I can use as an internet webcam.

I don't actually care much about security. Basically we have a hummingbird building a nest right outside a window and I want to get a camera that I can configure to stream online. It's nowhere near a computer nor where I want to put a computer so I want it to connect to my wifi.

I looked a bit on Amazon and it seems like cameras with these characteristics are marketed as for home security mostly? They've got apps for streaming to your phone, features for 24 hour recording to the cloud, nightvision, motion detection, all that stuff. I don't need any of it - night vision might be interesting but it's not a requirement.

I would like to not spend a ton of money just to broadcast a month or two of hummingbird babies onto the internet so let's say for the sake of argument my budget is like $100 but ideally half that, and it being on amazon prime would be great because the bird is already halfway to finishing her nest and I'd like to capture that process if I can. I already have good wifi reception. I can figure out some website or another to stream on, maybe ustream or whatever. I just need a recommendation for a single color good resolution wifi webcam.

If not Amazon Prime, then being in stock at my local Fry's or Best Buy is fine too.

Thanks in advance.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Foscam R2 2MP 1080P HD Wireless Security Camera (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DJ1FTTS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0JIazbK7J9RV1

Works well for me. They were scary at one point because people didn't set them up with passwords before but I don't think the foscam app even​ lets you do that anymore

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Foscam R2 2MP 1080P HD Wireless Security Camera (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DJ1FTTS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0JIazbK7J9RV1

Works well for me. They were scary at one point because people didn't set them up with passwords before but I don't think the foscam app even​ lets you do that anymore

I think his point is that he wants it to be insecure, it's for a publically accessible web cam. I'm interested in the same thing actually, Nest seems to work but it seems like a huge overkill if you just want to live stream a camera feed pubically.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I want to run ethernet to all the rooms in my house, but do it nicely. When I bought it, it had new electrical but not network cable run(not shocked by that, I'm a nerd).

I have access to both attic and under the house. Is there a place I can talk about this or a youtube channel I can watch?

Asking here because of smart connectivity and a lot of cameras being run over cat5.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I think his point is that he wants it to be insecure, it's for a publically accessible web cam. I'm interested in the same thing actually, Nest seems to work but it seems like a huge overkill if you just want to live stream a camera feed pubically.

Still works for web streams

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

OK cool! Thanks for this recommendation. $80 is reasonable for a decent piece of kit.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

I want to run ethernet to all the rooms in my house, but do it nicely. When I bought it, it had new electrical but not network cable run(not shocked by that, I'm a nerd).

I have access to both attic and under the house. Is there a place I can talk about this or a youtube channel I can watch?

Asking here because of smart connectivity and a lot of cameras being run over cat5.

I'd ask in here...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739&pagenumber=205&perpage=40

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this question, If not please redirect me.

I want a wireless wifi camera that I can use as an internet webcam.

I don't actually care much about security. Basically we have a hummingbird building a nest right outside a window and I want to get a camera that I can configure to stream online. It's nowhere near a computer nor where I want to put a computer so I want it to connect to my wifi.

I looked a bit on Amazon and it seems like cameras with these characteristics are marketed as for home security mostly? They've got apps for streaming to your phone, features for 24 hour recording to the cloud, nightvision, motion detection, all that stuff. I don't need any of it - night vision might be interesting but it's not a requirement.

I would like to not spend a ton of money just to broadcast a month or two of hummingbird babies onto the internet so let's say for the sake of argument my budget is like $100 but ideally half that, and it being on amazon prime would be great because the bird is already halfway to finishing her nest and I'd like to capture that process if I can. I already have good wifi reception. I can figure out some website or another to stream on, maybe ustream or whatever. I just need a recommendation for a single color good resolution wifi webcam.

If not Amazon Prime, then being in stock at my local Fry's or Best Buy is fine too.

Thanks in advance.

Most security cameras intended to connect to an NVR will have an RTSP streaming option. The exception will be the ones that do cloud based recording. Those generally do what I assume is a proprietary wrapper for an RTSP stream.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

It's not difficult. Biggest problem is being able to access the rooms you need from the attic. Buy some fiberglass push/pull rods to run the cables down the wall. Cut a hole in the wall and attach plates you bought from Home Depot. You are going to want to buy a spool and of the cable and cut to the lengths you need per run.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

Most security cameras intended to connect to an NVR will have an RTSP streaming option. The exception will be the ones that do cloud based recording. Those generally do what I assume is a proprietary wrapper for an RTSP stream.

I... don't know what those things are, NVR and RTSP, but I trust the Foscam R2 2MP 1080P HD Wireless Security Camera (Black) will do the streaming because I bought one and it will be here Saturday, (thanks Amazon prime).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Leperflesh posted:

I... don't know what those things are, NVR and RTSP, but I trust the Foscam R2 2MP 1080P HD Wireless Security Camera (Black) will do the streaming because I bought one and it will be here Saturday, (thanks Amazon prime).

NVR is network video recorder. Essentially a little PC that records your security camera footage and is controlled/viewed with a web browser. RTSP is a protocol that IP cameras implement so that they can work with recording equipment from other manufacturers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah OK. I don't currently leave a PC on 24/7 (but I might only bother to stream during the daylight hours anyway) but ideally if the cam can just stream over my wifi network (which is on 24/7) to something like ustream or whatever, then I'm good.

I can figure it out, I just have to put some time into it I guess. I want to get the cam going asap though, that bird looks like she's more than halfway done with her tiny little nest.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Leperflesh posted:

Ah OK. I don't currently leave a PC on 24/7 (but I might only bother to stream during the daylight hours anyway) but ideally if the cam can just stream over my wifi network (which is on 24/7) to something like ustream or whatever, then I'm good.

I can figure it out, I just have to put some time into it I guess. I want to get the cam going asap though, that bird looks like she's more than halfway done with her tiny little nest.

You need RTMP to publish a stream to a CDN like youtube or ustream, which that camera will not do. If you have a computer on all the time you can use FFMPEG to convert the RTSP stream to RTMP.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

n.. posted:

You need RTMP to publish a stream to a CDN like youtube or ustream, which that camera will not do. If you have a computer on all the time you can use FFMPEG to convert the RTSP stream to RTMP.

It won't work without a pc with ustream but you can just access the stream from any web browser. You don't need a PC running to support it. It works perfectly for his needs.

Just google foscam and their forums will have guides. It's pretty straightforward

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It won't work without a pc with ustream but you can just access the stream from any web browser. You don't need a PC running to support it. It works perfectly for his needs.

Just google foscam and their forums will have guides. It's pretty straightforward

If it's just for him sure. The fact that he mentioned ustream made me think he wanted it publicly available for anyone to watch.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wanted to make it public for anyone to watch. If I just wanted to watch the stream myself I wouldn't need internet at all, since I work from home.

My fault I guess for not being clear. Should I return this cam unopened? It should arrive tomorrow.

e. I could just leave a computer on all the time if I don't mind wasting a lot of power. Or just only stream during the day while a computer is on. Hmm.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I guess I'm confused. You can embed the feed in a webpage but you won't be able to use ustream unless a pc is running it. It's been awhile but I used to have a dog cam back in the day and it was simple to get up and running

Following these instructions http://foscam.us/forum/stream-to-web-page-t578.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I guess I'm confused. You can embed the feed in a webpage but you won't be able to use ustream unless a pc is running it. It's been awhile but I used to have a dog cam back in the day and it was simple to get up and running

Following these instructions http://foscam.us/forum/stream-to-web-page-t578.html

Oh! OK, that should be OK. I don't care about ustream specifically, I don't really know how those sites work, but I can surface a webpage myself if need be and there's someone I can ask about iframes, too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Got the camera, set it up, it seems to work on my phone.
Installed Foscam's web client. Insists on a plugin in order to let me access over browser - and after running the plugin installer, nothing happens, there's no plugin installed (firefox).

Installed Foscam's thick client, Foscam VMS (Windows). I can find the cam with the search tool, but the login won't work - exact same symptoms as described here: http://foscam.us/forum/default-admin-password-t1779.html#p56693

This camera looks pretty nice, seems to have cool features, but the software is garbage.

e. The phone app says I need to install a firmware upgrade. Each time I try to install it it acts like it's worked, but... app still reports the original firmware version.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 29, 2017

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I remember reading that Firefox was not working right with the plugin but chrome and IE worked well

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Installed Foscam's weand after running the plugin installer, nothing happens, there's no plugin installed (firefox).

Both Firefox and chrome recently dropped support for NPAPI plugins,. So basically the only plugin that still works in Firefox is flash.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

quote:

James Clar

James Clarke (Foscam)

Apr 29, 4:06 PM CST

Hello <leperflesh>,

Thank you for contacting Foscam Digital Technologies. We sincerely apologize for the delay that you've experienced during the support process. We have recently undergone changes within our company that limit our ability to support the Foscam brand. We understand that this can be a major inconvenience and we've recently implemented a trade-in replacement program for customers that have purchased the Foscam brand.

As part of our new trade-in program, we are offering brand new Amcrest IP Cameras to existing Foscam customers for a significant discount allowing you trade in all of your old Foscam cameras for new Amcrest IP cameras.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please let us know and we will be glad to assist you with this trade-in. We understand that making this switch may come as an inconvenience or major change, but we're confident that the Amcrest brand will satisfy and exceed your every need. If you are interested, please let us know so we can proceed on a trade-in.

Please take a look at all eligible Amcrest IP cameras in the link below:

http://amzn.to/2jRqSBc

Also feel free to look at IP Cameras our sister brand, FDT:

http://amzn.to/2kRm3cn

Best Regards,
James Clarke

uhhhhhh

e. The plugin works in IE, but I still can't login because whatever the default password is, it's not "just leave it blank" like all their instructions say.

Looks like Foscam the company is hosed tho based on the above response from Foscam US Support.

e. Factory reset finally worked! I was able to log in. So I'm working despite this software. Most likely the firmware update actually took (but didn't report as working) and included a change in the default password (undocumented).

But I'd suggest not recommending Foscam until/unless its owning company decides that supporting their products is OK.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 30, 2017

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Foscam US wasn't part of Foscam. It was a US distributor with an exclusivity agreement. That's changed recently, with Foscam China terminating the agreement. Foscam US now relabels Dauha cameras.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The drat bird abandoned the nest location. Which was probably pretty smart of the bird, but now I guess this is going to be a cat cam.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Ecobee 4 announced. Big new feature is...it's an Alexa device. Not as in, it works with Alexa - it is essentially like having a Dot built in to it. Which is....I dunno, someone will probably like it.

Looks the same, more or less, otherwise.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

That's actually a pretty cool feature. What's the price difference between the latest and previous model ecobee?

Some guy 3d printed an Echo Dot Holder that is pretty slick.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Uh, link that poo poo.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Small Facebook group. It's in here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1754153038142975/

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
The Ecobee 4 is $249 USD according to the email I got (I own 2 model 3s).

If I used Alexa (gave up on it a while ago) that Dot holder would be a fun project down at TechShop. Surprised some Chinese company isn't already selling them on Amazon/Ebay.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Reminds me of the Nvidia Spot. Which nvidia still hasn't released :(.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
This seems like the right place to ask about self monitored home security systems. I noted that the OP is 2 years old, and I admit I did not read 26 pages of posts.

What I am looking for is a system that allows me to monitor a front door, sliding glass door, and garage door from my iPhone. I would also like to have a keypad entry to the front door. For what its worth, I think I will also buy a Nest thermostat, so I don't know if that plays into the security system or what.

Any recommendations? I'm handy at DIY but I know nothing about security systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
So ESC 2017 is coming up and I would like to spice up the party by having the Hue lights change to the flag colours of the country that's currently on stage. There's a github link but I have no idea how that stuff works. Does anyone know of an app or something else to make this happen?