Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I've got a ~1987 alarm system at home that I'm replacing with a raspberry pi and some relays but I'm having issues with mqtt-io. Any time I get a state on published it's followed instantly by a state off even if the triggering condition still exists.

Pigpiod didn't have that issue but the remote rpi gpio integration is awful and dies if there's any network issues.

Has anyone successfully used mqtt to integrate a pi gpio header and if so, what did you use for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
So I solved my problem. When I moved everything around I connected the common ground to an I2C pin :negative:

Gamer roomie, I'm only using a single pi to link existing sensors to homeassistant. I do have an Annke 8 channel NVR and some boring Zosi cameras but those are separate and just feed in via RTSP. I may add MotionEye for the alerts though, I haven't figured out how to link the Annke appliance.

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 20, 2022

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Depending on your desired budget, Whistle has a gps dog tracker that can be integrated. It's a bit pricey at $110+$80/year but it can be used as a person entity.

A button by the leash is probably the least effort though.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

text editor posted:

I did something wrong wiring up my zooz garage relay so I still have the myq in the mix, gonna try again later but as far as I can tell it's all right

If you wired it directly to the motor unit it won't work. I had to run the relay into the wall switch and solder wires to one of the buttons (momentary relay activation to emulate a button press) because the signal appeared to have some sort of modulation.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

John Romero posted:

would love to get my four minisplits on IOT without spending $400

https://www.tindie.com/products/smartlightme/wifi-dongle-for-air-conditioners-midea-electrolux/
Worked flawlessly for my Mr. Cool but I needed to do some cutting because they had a weird usb port on the mini split.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

ToxicFrog posted:

TIL that there is an entire category of HA subsystems, "addons", which are distinct from integrations and also cannot be installed if you aren't using HAOS -- the containerized and standalone versions of the daemon don't support addons and the relevant parts of the UI don't even show up.

So now I get to figure out how to run HAOS in a VM, because I don't have any SBCs lying around that can handle it.

The good news is that virtualizing HAOS is super easy. I've been running it in ESXi for almost two years now.

edit: passthrough zwave dongle, no issues

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 22, 2023

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I use a Zooz relay for my garage doors. It works and integrates well. Just got a few magnetic sensors for the doors off Amazon, though I did need to solder wires to one of the buttons on the wall because Chamberlain does that annoying encrypted control signal thing.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Fancy_Lad posted:

I'm looking at smart switch options and have a subset of switches that need to be always powered because there's smart bulbs on the other side of them. I see some options, like the Zooz zwave, can be configured to be always on, but for other options like say the TP Link Kasa wifi ones couldn't you just wire them always on and have the switch just let the Home Assistant sync the switch state to the light? Acknowledging that if the HA is offline the lights wouldn't be controllable.

I'm planning on doing a bunch of switches and despite not wanting more wifi smart devices, I keep coming back to the Kasa switches because they are so much cheaper than the other choices. I'm trying to find deal breakers with them :D

You want Shelly or Zooz relays. They install behind the switch.
https://a.co/d/bf8yMqg This is the single relay from Zooz for example. It'll let you connect line to load, can be set to control a smart light, and exposes the switch and light via zwave.

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 18, 2023

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Most white box smart bulbs that are Tuya compatible can be flashed with OpenBeken using tuya-cloudcutter as well. It's a bit of effort but so far (11 bulbs, 10 in outdoor fixtures, about two years) no issues.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Mechanical chimes work off something insane like 6-24VAC. You could probably make it work with ESPHome and a relay board.
https://frenck.dev/diy-smart-doorbell-for-just-2-dollar/

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 17, 2023

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I discovered yesterday that ESPHome works on BK7231N/T devices now and that I can install it with tuya-cloudcutter, so now I gotta flash a dozen more Feit Electric bulbs.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I'm setting up babby's first Home Assistant instance, and I've almost got it ready, but unfortunately it looks like I need a bluetooth proxy for one of my temperaure/humidity sensors. I think I get what I need to do on the software side, but I know nothing about embedded hardware. Anyone who has done it before, is it really necessary to hard wire the network connection for a bluetooth proxy for for low bandwidth bluetooth devices? If I do have to hard wire, is there anything I should be looking at besides an ESP32 Gateway, case & power?

You should be able to use any ESP32 over WiFi and skip the gateway, but it will be slower than over Ethernet. ESP8266 won't work.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Brutakas posted:

Anyone have an ecobee thermostat? I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile benefit to have local weather enabled. Or in other words, if it's worth making an ecobee account since it seems like other weather/sensor sources won't work even through home assistant.

I use Ecobee, AirNow, OpenWeatherMap, and World Air Quality Index in Home Assistant. I don't really use much of it, but I also haven't integrated my sprinklers yet. The neatest thing is the Weather Radar card from HACS, but it's not being maintained anymore so ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

TheDK posted:

Anyone know of a good guide to RTSP, webrtc and the like? I am apparently a complete moron and can't figure out how to set my Google Nest, TP-Link and reolink cameras up through RTSP in HASS.

Reolink you may need to install the Windows software to enable the RTSP server.

This is the integration to add RTSP sources.
https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/generic/

This will get the nest camera(s)
https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/nest/

I use this for the stream cards since it handles realtime much better. It takes some effort to get it working outside your local network though. I use wireguard on my phone.
https://github.com/AlexxIT/WebRTC

TheDK posted:

Anyone know of a good guide to RTSP, webrtc and the like? I am apparently a complete moron and can't figure out how to set my Google Nest, TP-Link and reolink cameras up through RTSP in HASS.