Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

caberham posted:

Hey goons I'm moving into a new apartment soon and will hire an electrician to add in some ethernet drops and wire the place.

Since it's my first new home I plan to splurge and make it an awesome goon base. I have been doing some research on cams and I'm thinking of a high quality 1080p PoE Ipcam - Anyone have recommendations? I have found the axis and some of my friends like it for their work environment.

I also want to buy a smart lock, the august system looks good but I'm thinking of going for the Samsung one with keypad, rfid. But the august system with the integrated cam looks awesome!

The biggest pain for me is to integrate everything together and have a smooth running system. I'm looking for recording events to a NAS, integrating the door lock with a camera, linking up guess wireless access to guest lock profiles (with traffic monitoring), and other home automation systems together

I've installed about a dozen of the Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I PoE IP cameras indoors and outdoors for myself, friends, and family. While they are a little annoying to configure they are fantastic, inexpensive cameras. They don't come set to DHCP and have a goofy network address so you have to setup a little temporary network on that subnet to configure them but after that, piece of cake. PoE works perfectly and the quality is great.

For camera monitoring and recording just get Blue Iris and stop there. It's that awesome. Synology and WD NAS devices work fine for storage in my experience. I recommend recording to a NAS that is hidden away somewhere out of site and sound. If someone does break in and steals your Blue Iris computer, you lost that footage. The NAS should be stashed away with the video on it. Also configure Blue Iris to save the alert snapshots to a Dropbox or Google Drive folder so it automatically syncs to ~THE CLOUD~.

I haven't researched smart locks yet but plan to. Home automation is on my to do list as well and I've done some research. I'm interested in the SmartThings hub or the Mi Casa Verde VeraLite with a long list of Z-wave devices.

Newer ASUS wifi routers do guests networks painlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Since I'm horribly irresponsible with money and I had $180 sitting on my Verizon gift card balance, their website had one of these available to purchase with my credit: http://www.kwikset.com/kevo/default.aspx It'll be here Wednesday...

We hardly ever use the front door to go in and out and just use the garage door. We keep our garage door locked as well when we are both gone. Of course, I usually have things in my hands and I am marginally inconvenienced by rooting around for my house key to unlock the door to enter the house. That deserves an expensive rear end battery powered Bluetooth deadbolt, right? Right.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Welp, down the rabbit hole I go. I acquired a Smartthings controller with a motion sensor, siren, and entry sensor. I replaced my bedroom light switch with a GE dimmer module and the lamp with a dimmable LED bulb. I was just going to experiment with a type of self-monitored alarm system using it as well as some simple automation. The siren is freaking loud and the strobe is cool. I enjoyed freaking out my wife reading on the couch by turning on the strobe from my bedroom. I told her that was the "I need coffee alarm" heh.

Once I had Smart Lights setup to recognize my morning mode and presence with the motion sensor to turn on or off the bedroom light as I go in and out during the morning, I was hooked. I love being able to use all of the apps available to create logic for scenarios. I have it detect when I get home in the evening and if it is 30 minutes before sunset, to turn on the bedroom light before I even enter since I keep my house pretty dark.

Two more dimmer modules, a plug-in switch, and two more motion sensors purchased the next day. I'd like to mess with the dry contact switches to perhaps hook to my garage door and maybe rig up a red/green light to verify if the alarm mode is armed or disarmed. Lots of things you can do with this stuff. If Hue wasn't so drat expensive, I could see having fun with color changing scenarios. Maybe I'll mess with RGBW LED strips.

Monoprice Z-wave sensors work perfectly fine for much cheaper than the name brand. I'm sure these are actually the name brand anyway and just unlabeled. They show up as Aeon Labs devices.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I definitely wouldn't rely on any Internet based system for security if felt I needed a true security system. A monitored service with a cellular connected base is the way to go there.

I've done all I can really do here to keep my Internet from going out such as securing the incoming cable line to the house so it isn't exposed to be cut easily and having a UPS on Smartthings, the cable modem/router, and my computer. I also have a camera system setup with Blue Iris that stores the video streams on a NAS hidden away on its own UPS as well. I figure if the Smartthings "alarm" doesn't scare them off, I'll at least have video and snapshots.

It's about balancing peace of mind and cost for me. I had a monitored home alarm for years, but even when I had a false alarm that I thought was the real deal and I had the monitoring service dispatch police, they didn't show up for 3 hours. The guy said it's pretty typical of alarm calls in the city limits unfortunately due to the lower priority because of all of the false alarms. With a self monitored system, I'm 10 minutes away at work and I'm a CCW holder.

Smartthings v1 relies strictly on the Internet connection and their hosting for the tasks it does. Their service is getting better since Samsung bought them but for more reliability I'd go with v2 or another controller that can still function without Internet if the security part is more important. That or maybe they'll come out with a cellular backup for it or something.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a network router for the house that has dual WAN for fail over and have the second one on a mobile broadband device, but there I am again with a monthly fee for that and I'm not keeping gold bars in the house or anything to really care THAT much about a security system. Just what I have to attempt to scare them away is enough for me. I have insurance.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I think for both of you above, Z-Wave is a good way to go. Although I've had very little issues with Smartthings service and have no problems recommending it, you may want a fully local controller that does not rely on Internet access at all if security is a priority above convenience and automation. The VeraPlus will be released this month and looks pretty slick. Other Vera products have been good from what I have heard.

Z-Wave is already huge and keeps growing with the amount of devices that support it. I think it's the one that will win out in this race or at least will not be going away anytime soon.

Most things integrate with Nest now days. That won't be an issue.

Blue Iris is awesome as all hell if you already have a computer running and want more security, recording, notification control over your cameras. Otherwise, you'll just use whatever built-in features they have, which may be enough for your purpose.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Smartthings v2 and products like VeraPlus store most of their rules and logic locally so things still work without Internet. Things still turn on and off and alarms sound even if someone cuts your cable connection (whatever type of Internet unless you are mobile broadband/wifi). If the Internet is down, you may not get a push notification during these events. Also without Internet, you won't have smartphone/remote connectivity to your home automation system.

Smartthings v1 and some other early/cheaper products are cloud based only and the rules and logic run through the Internet back & forth. If you have DSL/Cable and someone were to cut those lines before breaking into your house, things don't work at all nor do you get any notifications.

None of this matters if security is a number 1 priority as you would want a cellular based security system anyway. I don't know of any home automation with security feature that provide a cell backup. I haven't looked terribly hard though so things might be different now. Things like dual WAN network routers for home and putting a mobile broadband dongle is possible but then costs go up and gets more complicated. I don't know if there is really an all-in-one home automation and security solution just yet.

Smartthings and Scout are in bed together now so you can pay for a UL monitored service for an alarm but I'm not sure if they still solely rely on your Internet connection of choice or if they provide a cell backup to your home automation controller.

Dual systems might still be the way to go if you need a REAL alarm system and a home automation system.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Well now. I never came across Domoticz when researching this stuff and got invested into Smartthings. I have a Synology device hidden away (on a UPS) to store my Blue Iris streams and other crap and having it be the Z-Wave controller also is very interesting. I'm going to have to check that out and consider switching. Not relying on ~The Cloud~ would be a good thing.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Most of them, no. I actually unsoldered the piezo from the board in the front panel to eliminate that.

I got Domoticz to install on the Synology finally after some screwing around. I don't have a Aeotec Z-Wave stick yet so I just stopped the service but I did poke around with the web portal. Looks promising.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I have a Nest thermostat and I just don't use the auto-away feature. My wife and I have a routine schedule so I just built a heating and cooling schedule based on that. I don't really need it to learn our patterns and go into away mode when the programmed schedule already sets the temperatures to an energy friendly setting 30 minutes after we normally leave and come back to a comfortable setting 30 minutes before we normally arrive home. If we are going to be away for a while, I just set the thermostat in away mode manually. Of course, temps, modes, and away can all be set from a phone also so when we are on the way back home from vacation, I turn off away mode a couple hours before we will arrive home.

The activity sensor is pretty accurate though from my initial testing when I first got it. It can learn the habits of people there or not there during the week vs. the weekend. It does exactly what you say, if it detects presence, then keeps the temperature where it was set until it no longer detects presence. Then it goes into the max high/low settings you give it. A Nest Protect would certainly help with accuracy with the thermostat in the hallway depending on where you place the Protect. If your house is occupied very randomly, I don't know that the auto-away with the thermostat by itself would be perfect, but it would probably be pretty good with a Protect to help out.

I also installed Roost Desktop Notifier on my computer because I'm that drat lazy to get up and go to the thermostat to turn on the heat or AC when I'm in the computer room and my phone is still charging in the bedroom.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

The Gardenator posted:

What is the recommended method to remote view on an iphone or android? E: this is direct to the camera from the internet, and not via software like blueiris or an NVR.

IP Cam Viewer for Android works well. Also Blue Iris rules and is absolutely worth the $60 one time fee. Has an app for Android and iPhone also (separate app purchase).

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

^^^^
He could have used them just for automation scripts. I have a few of those multi-sensors spread out and use rules that can turn on/off various lights with motion during a certain time. I also use the motion sensors to trigger a Z-wave alarm strobe/siren when in away mode.

No, they won't be compatible with SimpliSafe or Nest directly but you could probably use IFTT to control your Nest with them but I doubt that would be necessary as Nest is quite smart. Z-Wave devices only make a mesh or signal repeater if it is a line powered device. Those multi sensors are battery powered and to not repeat the signals.

If you don't want the multi-sensors, I'll buy them from ya :j:

Frank Dillinger posted:

anyone want to recommend some decent IP/POE network surveillance cameras? we've been having a rash of thefts in our neighborhood, and I'd like to find out who's stealing change from my car.

Best bang for your buck:

https://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2042WD-I-Network-English-Security/dp/B015U3Q9NI

I've installed 5 of these and they are all fantastic day and night.

Pitre fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 26, 2016

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

2 and 1/2 inches. The cable can come straight out the back into the wall (or into a j box) , or out the side of the mount and around a soffit or whatever. The only hangup is that the cable coming out of the camera has a large female RJ45 & barrel plug so you need a good size hole to get everything through then seal back up. You don't need to use the barrel power plug if you use PoE but it's still there in the way.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I'm not aware of the Nest Protect sucking. I've had one for a year and it seems fine. I like the nightlight feature when I walk under it in the dark. It can help my Nest thermostat to know when the house is occupied. It did a fine job of alerting me when there was a kitchen fire that let out enough smoke to set it off (the other regular smoke alarms went off a few seconds afterwards). Wife doesn't blacken chicken on cast iron in there anymore...

If you don't like Nest then try something like a First Alert 2-in-1 Z-Wave Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm on Amazon.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Ah could have been. I have the second gen protect and a first gen thermostat. I have no issues with either.

I'm actually going to try one or two of those First Alerts in my new (older) house that doesn't have detectors throughout already by standard code. I can buy two of them for the price of one protect.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

hotsauce posted:

My Nest is shaping up to the the worst purchase I've made in a long time. Nothing supports the drat thing. I know I can set up some IFTTT stuff to glue it all together, but it would be real great if it "just worked."

Learned that when I set up my Smart Things home kit yesterday. Nice, right? Jesus Google.

Buy an Ecobee, folks.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-nest-manager-4-0/60052

Yeah, things should work out of the box with other platforms and dealing with the Smartthings IDE can be difficult, but there is "unofficial" Nest support with Smartthings and it actually does work fantastic. Smartthings has a good user base and with the flaws of the parent company, the users help fill the gaps.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Sorry for the burglary :( I agree a monitored service wouldn't have responded any faster. I used to have a true monitored alarm by a company and during the one time that I thought it wasn't a false alarm and had them send police, it took well over an hour for them to show up. I think now with my home monitoring (Smartthings) and cameras (on Blue Iris), me calling 911 myself to tell them SOMEONE IS RIGHT THERE NOW, might get a quicker response.

There are several Z-wave siren options and they aren't expensive. I have a Fortrezz strobe/siren in the living room and two GoControl siren/strobes in a couple other places. When I accidentally trigger the Smartthings intrusion, it's freaking loud in the house. I think it would be a deterrent. They have battery backups so will keep going off if they find them and yank the cords out. ...also fun back when Smartthings was having a lot more cloud issues and I couldn't send the disarm command...

Also, put a UPS on your Smartthings hub and Internet modem/router if you rely on it for security.

Pitre fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 14, 2016

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainCrunch posted:

Is there an opinion or consensus on Simplisafe?

I like that it's independent of the internet connection, and while it's not really automated, honestly the only automation I do is the lights. Which Hue handles on its own.

I used to have Simplisafe with monitoring and smartphone app for years. I have no complaints at all about their hardware or service. I had an issue with an external siren a year after I purchased it and they replaced it free no problem. The cell based connection and battery backup make it a good security system in my opinion.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Nice quality! I miss having Cat-5 runs to my PoE cameras from my old house to have that kind of quality. I have to use WiFi cameras at the new place in the boonies but they serve their purpose. I notice that you have overlays on the cameras themselves as well as Blue Iris Re-encode with settings. Turning off all text and graphics overlays on BI and changing the recording to Direct-to-disc will lower your computer's processing stress since the cameras will display the location and time stamp for it.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

^ agreed with all of the above. I've had Simplisafe and it was pretty awesome for a true monitored security system. Now I have a fairly large Smartthings setup and feel safe enough with the "security" features of that system plus home automation is awesome.

Keypad entry to the front door, as in unlocking the deadbolt, will likely be stand-alone. Either system will monitor entry into the door though. Nest integrates with Smartthings for presence and control if you wanted but that's about it needs or can do.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

For stuff like that I use my phone with Tasker and SharpTools. It could also be done easily with a custom SmartApp and a virtual switch though. If virtual switch "Wakeup Alarm" is turned on then turn on bedroom lights @ 5am. The built-in Smart Lighting doesn't have enough conditions to do it out of the box. To make custom rules, I still use Rule Machine because I got used to it and it does everything I have ever needed so far, but it is no longer being updated. CoRE is the new hotness in this area but I've never checked it out.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Good to know, I'll check it out!

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

bobfather posted:

This is no problem for Blue Iris. In the individual camera settings under the Record preferences there's an option to "cut video when triggered with break time" which will force Blue Iris to make individual clips for each event that sets off the camera.

Of course, this is predicated on the idea that OneEightHundred wasn't looking for continuous recording, but instead was only doing triggered recording. With triggered recordings Blue Iris works great to sync individual recordings to (any) cloud service.

I wouldn't like having a billion files for small chunks of video nor would I like to have my Internet upload bandwidth constantly burdened with that upload stream. I have 7 cameras though and a not so great Internet connection in the boonies.

I just have the hi-res alerts save to a Google Drive folder which syncs quickly so I can see the snapshots from anywhere. The snapshots almost always get a shot of what caused the trigger. The actual video goes to a NAS that I have well hidden and on a UPS of its own. If someone were to break in and truck everything out, I would (hopefully) still have the video on the NAS to go back and view.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

housefly posted:

I’m assuming all of these require a neutral wire, yes?

Yep

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I use motion sensors for my "alarm" part of Smartthings that I've setup so I have a few placed around the house. One use I have for the temperature sensor in them is in the morning I have a rule (yeah I still use Rule Machine) that goes:

If it's between 4am and 6am (when we normally wake up) and the temperature in the reading room is below 67F then turn on the radiator heater that is next to the reading chair. The heater is plugged into an appliance module.

We hang out in there early catching up on news and stuff on a tablet or my wife reads a book there in the morning. Two walls around that chair are just masonry not furred out so it can be chilly in the morning during the winter.

I have a motion sensor in the master bedroom that also senses humidity. I use that sensor to turn on/off the bedroom humidifier as needed to keep the humidity at a certain level.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Sexy Randal posted:

I'm looking for a hidden camera I can put in music studio in the event that someone breaks in and steals my poo poo. This is what I'm looking for:

- Doesn't look like a camera or a thing that someone would also want to steal
- Can record to an SD card either continuously or when movement is detected and overwrite as needed
- Audio recording can be disabled
- Doesn't require an internet connection beyond initial setup and ideally wifi can be disabled completely

There's a bunch of hidden camera alarm clocks on Amazon that seem like they'd work but I'm suspicious of them because all of the positive reviews (of which there are many) sound like were written by some kind of content farm and there isn't much information otherwise.

Does anyone have a recommendation they can make?

I bought one of these for an ongoing prank issue for someone and it works pretty well even with poor documentation. Takes a phone app to use but seemed legit and good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YWLWTL

To clarify: You just use the app and local adhoc WiFi to set it up and start it. After that it's stand alone.

Pitre fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 15, 2018

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Check out Monoprice for sales on their no logo sensors. They have worked flawless for me and another friend with a large setup like mine. They have a sale going on now on a bunch of stuff.

These are the PIR sensors in particular that work great:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15902
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15271

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

Are non-thermostat temperature sensors at the point now where you can do more than just send reports based on temperature and actually trigger stuff? When I looked a few years ago I could never find any that did more than this, but things may have changed.

Like Decairn said, it's all up to you and what you want to script. I have Smartthings and still use Rule Machine from way back to do a bunch of things based on conditions. I don't know what the latest way to do that is since RM was pulled from GitHub years ago and I haven't bothered to rewrite all my scripts.

I have a long ranch style house that's block and not fantastically insulated and there is a front reading room in the opposite corner of the house from the bedroom. When the condition of (If time is > 4am and temperature of kitchen motion is < 65F and motion in hallway is detected then turn on radiator heater in reading room). That type of condition means my wife or I is up and headed in there to read a bit or surf the web on the tablet that is in there. The radiator heater helps keep the area warmer without running the whole house heat as much.

I also have a radiator heater in the bedroom and a rule watches the bedroom motion's temperature all night when in stay mode and if it gets too hot in the middle of the night it automatically turns the heater off so we don't wake up in a sweat and have have to turn it off manually. In the summer, the same bedroom motion temp sensor watches for it to get too chilly at night and will turn the ceiling fan off for us.

Obviously these are examples of creating automation just for the hell of it but they actually work well and now we don't even think about messing with the heaters or fan. Smartthings handles them for us.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Why is IFTTT so awesome? What does it do that home / assistant don't?

Let's say I am walking up to my house with an arm load of groceries and my phone in my pocket - I'd like my porch light and a specific living room light to turn on when I'm in range. Is this a thing that IFTTT does?

Why does it seem like each brand of smart item (light bulbs, plugs) needs its own standalone app? Or can I delete the apps once the item is set up in the Home app?

I can answer a couple of these.

In today's world of smart devices, there are a crap load of different manufactures with their own app and environment. Google Home and Amazon Alexa are trying to integrate many of them but there are still plenty of things that Google/Alexa can't do. IFTTT helps bridge that gap. It can tie together these different environments to work together as well as the ability to create scripts or triggers for you.

I use IFTTT to bridge automation between my Google Home, Smartthings, and LIFX lights. I have a group of LIFX lights down at my horse pen and barn area that I can tell to turn on via Google Home, but I wanted to have a Smartthings physical button on the wall near our jackets and boots that we could press and turn on the back yard light, pool string lights, and the horse lights all at once. IFTTT makes that happen by connecting the environments together using the button pressed as the toggle.

Your example regarding turning on lights when you arrive can be achieved by IFTTT (or another home automation system such as Smartthings). If you have the IFTTT app, you can setup either a geo fence or a trigger when you connect to your home wifi that says if you are in this area, turn these lights on. Home automation like Smartthings can be a step smarter. You can tell it if you enter the area and it's dark outside, then turn on the lights.

Yeah, having a thousand apps suck. You are correct that if the device integrates with Google Home, after you get the device setup from the app, you can delete the app and Google Home will still recognize it. Just reinstall the app if you need to make settings changes.

The rabbit hole goes deep in this world. It can certainly be confusing and is ever changing, but for the most part, it's changing for the better.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I'm always struggling with this.

On the one hand I love not paying a monthly fee, recording locally, doing whatever I want with the video.

On the other hand, the user experience for all self-hosted stuff is terrible.

After the short learning curve of how to configure the cameras, schedules, motion detecting, etc. correctly in Blue Iris, it's actually a really nice piece of software that gets constant fixes and updates. Once you setup port forwarding (or use ngrok) the server can be accessed via a web browser for no extra cost. If you want to buy the Blue Iris app for your phone, the app has a very nice UI for live view and clip view for motion detection.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

my kinda ape posted:

What's a good outdoor PTZ IP camera for <$250? Looks don't matter. Night vision is a plus but not strictly necessary. Storage doesn't matter either because it's purely for live viewing.

I would also like it to not spy on me for the Chinese but idk if they make ones that don't do that.

I put this one up on my tack room to keep an eye on my horses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HML2CCV

It looks great during the day and has good night vision also. It also has a built-in microphone and speaker so I can irritate them by calling them through the camera. :haw:

Blocking all outbound traffic at the router from the cameras to anything but an NTP server is always a good idea IMO.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

bobfather posted:

Sell your ST hub and come over to Hubitat. It’s so much better.

Interesting. I have never heard of Hubitat but looking at their site, that is where the creator of Rulemachine went to after pulling his app from Smartthings. I still run Rulemachine on ST with the last version he put out and it is awesome.

I'll have to give Hubitat some time to grow and work out the kinks. I would like to move to a platform that has local processing instead of cloud. Moving all of my crap over seems like a daunting task that will take all day though so I have to make sure the grass is actually greener on the other side.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

BI will certainly do that with a profile change on the fly. I'm not sure about IFTTT for that.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

EC posted:

So I'm in the process of building a barn, installing fencing, and a variety of other work to be able to bring my wife's horses to live on our property. Because we don't live on a massive space, the design of this thing will be kind of weird. I want to do some things to make it easier on us:

Welcome to the poor life, friend!

Before I eventually trenched across a giant rear end wash the separates my house part of the 4.3 acres from the horse side to lay electrical wire and pipe water, I had installed 200W of solar on the tack room. That charges a giant rear end used UPS battery I bought on Craigslist. I had two cameras attached to that since they run off of 12V anyway so I just cut the plug off the end and wired them to a junction block that connects to the battery. I also installed a 12V water pump and piped to a 350 gallon water tank behind the tack room. This is mainly for a sink in the tack room but could be used for emergencies for the horses if something happened to my water line across the wash.

This system is still in place on the same battery because it just works. I do have 120V down there now and fresh water but I kept the other system as backup. The cameras still run on the battery. For smart lights, I use LIFX outdoor flood lights on the WiFi down there. This was after I installed 120V power of course. LIFX integrates with my Smartthings so that works well.

I do have a 12V ewelink relay system that runs some 12V offroad flood lights on the solar/battery system in case of 120V power outage. The bastards at ewelink started charging for IFTTT integration and it doesn't support native Smartthings integration so I just use the app to control that relay box now instead of a command through Smartthings.

To get WiFi down there, I installed a Ubiquiti point to point wireless bridge using Nanostations and down at the horse side I have a wireless access point. The cameras and LIFX lights all talk to that access point.

The cameras feed to a Blue Iris server in my house. I don't have any pics handy of the cameras, solar, or wifi bridge but here is a current (reduced size) Blue Iris picture of those cameras' view.

Hopefully some of that info helps with ideas. I would be glad to answer any questions.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

UUUuugggghhhh, my Smartthings V1 is finally going end of life. I super dread having to figure out how to exclude each device and migrate them to a new hub then rebuild all of my automations. I knew this day would come.

I got the discount deal for the new one for $35 so I went ahead and got on the order list. I am not against rolling my own now that I have to do this anyway but I definitely need (want) Google Home, Nest, and LIFX integration support and a decent mobile app. There are so many out there now, what's the best thing going on these days? OpenHab?

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

bobfather posted:

Hubitat is an incredible upgrade from SmartThings.

It looks like this is made by the dude that created the Rule Machines Smartthings app which was kick rear end. I still use a deprecated version of it for some complex rules. I'll look more in to this to see how it works.

My updated Smartthings hub already shipped so I'll see what they have done as far as some devices being local rather than cloud and if it's worth learning something completely new or not.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

azurite posted:

Is the best DVR solution still BlueIris? I've been tasked with setting up a surveillance panopticon for our barn. I want it to be locally hosted. No cloud. :cloud:

Absolutely! I built 4 instances for myself, my friends, and one for my work to pull certain camera streams in to make sure local DVRs are running. It is super flexible and my favorite VMS.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I use one of these dry contact relays to override my pool pump and kick it in to high speed mode when I want to. It has a physical button and indicator light but it's in a switch format so you'll need a single gang box to mount it in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00913ATFI

E: Oops, I didn't read further up for the use case. You probably don't want a main power run switch like this then. I'm not sure what kind of battery powered dry contact relays are out there retail so you may have to roll your own.

Pitre fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 12, 2021

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I'm not sure if this the best spot but it's kinda HA related. I think my Chromecast Audio is finally dying. I have it in my garage that plugs into a power amplifier w/ a speaker selection switch to run speakers in my garage/front yard/pool areas.

Is there anything modern that has an audio output like the Chromecast Audio or am I screwed paying $100 on Ebay for a NIB one?

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Motronic posted:

Scroll up to my Raspberry pi/HFBerry/Volumio mini project.

I needed another thing like that, and everything I found was garbage phone-home-to-china stuff (or no longer supported chomecast, or an apple tv) so I rolled my own.

Ack, I blew right by that post on my phone when I read Home Assistant since I run Smartthings and Google Home. I'll look more into that if it works seamlessly with Google Home for casting music from Spotify. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Disclaimer: I haven't used any of those three open source software.

I have run Blue Iris for around 10 years now and it is just a fantastic software with a great mobile app for control and notifications if you so wish. I don't care for their new pricing method though with version 5. It used to be, you pay the fee for the software and you get updates from then on. When they released version 5, the payment is only good for one year of updates.

The software doesn't stop working after a year or anything, so I have one server still on an old version of 5 that works fine for my needs and I don't renew the license. For my home server, I did go ahead and renew this year to get all of the latest updates and they are well worth it. The mobile app is miles better now for searching recordings/timeline. Deepstack is slick as hell for AI detection. That said, I may or may not renew after this year is up. Like I said it still continues to work fine at whatever version you are left with at the end of the support period.

Now days if I were building from scratch, I would definitely look at those other three first before paying BI. I might still go BI because the support and features are really good and worth the cost IMO. (the initial cost anyway)