Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Anyone using Google Home for whole house audio? All my devices seem to have poo poo the bed when casting to the home (7 Cast audio/speakers, 8 Smart Displays).

The thing is, it has worked fine for a long time, never really had any issues until the last couple of weeks, no network changes, no device changes, rebooted everything, reset the network, everything starts playing fine, music all synced and then a few seconds later all the displays close out their music display and all the audio stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

If your big problem is temperature differential and it is really bothering you, you should look at smart registers. They are pricy but have the potential to actually solver your problem vs make it slightly better.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Gangringo posted:

I bought a new house and I want to go all in on smart lighting. I currently have some hue stuff, but I want something very specific.

Each room will be lit with a combination of light strips in the crown molding, standard lightbulbs in fixtures, and candle lightbulbs in fixtures.

I want a system that with one push of a button on a wireless switch the lights in that room will light up at a color temperature and brightness based on the current time. Additionally I want that color temperature to continue to change as the light stays on. Other buttons on the switch would be able to switch on and off individual fixtures (turn off the overhead light but keep the ambient light strips on) or alternate modes like full-bright white light or night light or fake candlelight.

The number one thing is the super simple press button, receive light appropriate for the time of day that is synchronized between light strips and two different sized bulbs.

Full color would be nice, but if there is a considerably cheaper system that only does color temperature that is fine.

There's just a gazillion different ecosystems and it's hard to tell what has that specific feature and all the light types I want.

https://www.crestron.com/How-To-Buy/find-a-dealer-or-partner/Elite-Platinum-Residential-Dealers
https://www.savant.com/find-an-integrator
https://www.control4.com/dealer_locator

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

• The big problem is that the goal here is to ask for music without hands from the pool. I don't want to get my phone wet. I broke an allegedly IPsixty-whatever phone by the pool last summer and I don't want a repeat.

My outdoor setup is a Google Mini hidden way up in the eave of the free standing garage paired to Chromecast Audio connected to a pair of outdoor speakers. Google Minis can default to another speaker for audio. You could use a Chromecast enabled receiver paired to a Mini located in a place where it is unlikely to get wet. There are some companies that allegedly disassemble Minis and make them weatherproof, I don't know if they are legit though. I just didn't bother, if the Mini gets wet where it is located we have much bigger problems then it getting ruined. It's actually a great setup for our use, our outdoor fan and fountain are controlled by it and our string lights are native Google so you can control everything with just your voice.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I wanted a smart doorbell, but I realized I can't find the transformer for my existing doorbell. It's not in the garage, it's not in the attic, the wires from the "bell" speaker just go into the ceiling, never to be seen again.

Same, I actually paid two people to look for it. It puts out power but just not enough to use a wired doorbell. I ended up getting a battery doorbell with a wired option and it does put enough power that the battery has never lost any charge in months of use.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Does she need a hardware, physical handheld remote? Google Home has an app that shows all the devices and functions like a remote. Google Assistant screens will show a home control interface with all the devices listed with software switches.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pretty sure alarms systems are incredibly standardized unless you have an obviously proprietary system. Like, everyone in my father's community is plugged into a centralized dispatch for their neighborhood, you don't have ADT, you link your system to the private security, you just do, there is absolutely no reason not to.

Even our home system, which is an incredibly basic DSC something or another, we were vacating the house for a week for floor refinishing and decided to upgrade to a LTE remote control system. We aren't under contract, they just came over, bolted a new cell receiver into the system in like 30 minutes and told us we can now program new PINS into our 10 year old panel over LTE.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

We live in and older house with no neutral, Lutron Caseta has worked wonderfully, all our lights have Caseta dimmers BUT the rooms with ceiling fans. It was very important to me that our house more or less operated just as well as a non-"smarthome" as one so I used Sonoff fan controllers in the three rooms with ceiling fans. It worked, well enough, we had both manual and automated fan and light control but the protective cover over the light switch and controlling the light with the fan controller always felt like a cludge. Also I really wanted dimming, as I said, literally every other light in our house dims and it is a function that we love and use often. And I mean every light, our shower light has a Caseta dimmer that we use often.

Went ahead and sprung for 9 Hue Bulbs and 4 Lutron Auroras and am so pleased. Setup was a little tricky, maybe I need to go back into the app, but it seems like Hue won't let you group bulbs and a single device, there is no reason I would want to independently dim lights in a fan and the instructions to pair the Auroras seems to be wrong, I ended up just loving with it until it went into pairing mode.

That said, it works wonderfully, exactly what we wanted, normal enough light dimmer that functions exactly as expected.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 22, 2022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Fans is a combo light/fan, so just line and load to the fans and switches on the fan to control the light and the fan. Fan controller controlled both with the switch locked, but I wanted dimmer control too, fan controller did not have any dimming function.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

dalstrs posted:

As far as I can tell, the Caseta will always default to maximum brightness when the switch is toggled on.

The trick is the dimmer buttons work even when the light is off. Press the down button to turn the lights on at their minimum level, the up button will adjust them up from dim.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I guess this goes here:

Just bought a Roomba J7+ Combo, black Friday beckoned. I had some up close time with a J7+ and after thinking for years that robot vacs were overpriced bullshit, our house is cleaner than it ever has been and we were already neat freaks. I love that it is one device that mops and vacuums.

$900 was a tough price but honestly, while not perfect, it's amazing to see our carpet, hardwood and tile just sparkle every day like we just spent an hour cleaning.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

armorer posted:

How do those things do with hardwood to carpet transitions and also with navigating around a dining room table with 6 chairs tucked under it?

Hardwood/carpet transition works really well, the mop pad physically moves to the top of the robot before transitioning from hard to soft surfaces. Navigating the dining room table? Eh, it tries? But we don't really use our dining room, so, getting the larger portions for dust/pet hair is good enough to make a overall visual improvement.

It's absolutely not a replacement for our vacuum, handheld vacuum and mop, but it is a massive upgrade as far as having our house constantly cleaned.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I think something that didn't quite click with me is even if robot vacuums on paper didn't look that good as far as cleaning it can more than make up for it in thoroughness and frequency where the deficiencies are quick and minor instead of dragging a giant vacuum out all the time.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

movax posted:

e2: lol, OK, I've got a mortise lock. This will be more work than expected...

Mortise locks typically have a button or a switch in the switch lock that sets that, if you open the door and look at the lock plate you will either have two buttons like this to set auto locking:

Or the deadbolt will click if turned all the way past the point where it unlocks.

Mortise locks are extremely uncommon in the US, basically only used in high-end applications, luxury condos in particular, I have never seen one where a level lock bolt would fit. They are absolutely not interchangeable with what would be a standard lock in the US as far as how they are installed into the door.

Mortise locks are more common in Europe, it's been years since I lived in a home with one, but I know there were some bolt on adaptors aimed at the euro market, a quick search says there might be a few options now, but the problem is, most mortise locks are, again, in high end condos that have strict rules about what door locks can be used or high-end homes and I don't think anyone really can or wants to play into those markets with a consumer oriented device.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

Forgot to ask what I came here to ask, since the new house mostly doesn't even have grounded outlets I'm going to place my bets that we don't have neutral wires at any switches. I know that matters for a lot of smart or even more advanced electronic switches, but I'm wondering whether that's going to be at the "pay attention when buying" or "you're going to have to dig for stuff that works" end of the spectrum.

Lutron Caseta, there are others, don't waste your time, Caseta works flawlessly without a neutral.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Well, after being away from the house for over a week on vacation, decided to pick this up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KN91RLZ

I'm really iffy on support, but am I missing something, this not an actual product category?

I know Amazon has kind of tried this with the Astro and teased their Ring Drone, but I 100% do not want fixed cameras inside my house but would also very much like to know that cats hadn't destroyed my house on vacation without asking my house sitter to take a million photos like a crazy person.

Are there not seriously more robotic cameras for just like, making sure house is not flooded after a storm when you are on vacation without putting every inch of your home on constant surveillance? I feel like this should really be a thing.

edit: CAT

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 4, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Why not just keep the fixed cameras unplugged until you’ll be out of the house a sufficient number of days to need it? Seems less insane that whatever this is.

If attack vectors/data privacy are your reasoning, handing video feed of your house that can be physically moved via remote action is way worse than fixed cameras. Also why would you want this random rear end company to have live access to video feed from your home?

I would like to have 24/7 100% video coverage of my house as an option and also be like, yeah, that camera should absolute not be in my bedroom at 2AM.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

Skimmed the past couple of pages and I think I’m in the right thread.

I moved into a place that had a bunch of smart light stuff (Philips Hue mostly), and I recently found out I could connect that to Home on my iPhone and iPad. The bulbs are so fuckin’ expensive I thought I’d try a cheap Chinese brand from Amazon that had Matter support, mostly because I really don’t want yet another app so being able to connect directly to Home without an app and a bridge was super appealing.

Two bulbs in a ceiling fixture and then telling Siri (after grouping the two bulbs into one “accessory” in Home) to change the color to whatever, always resulted in only one bulb changing. Then I’d try changing to a new color and the first bulb would change to the newest color, while the one that was stuck would change to the previous, almost like it was one command behind.

The company’s official app works just fine so I assume it’s a Home issue, so just curious if this is a thing that anyone’s heard of?

I get enough time with computers in my day job and I really don’t want to run my own Home Assistant setup, so if that’s the solution I’ll just return the lights. In which case are the IKEA smart lights any good?

Wait, I don't think you mentioned your use case, is there a reason you are using smart bulbs instead of smart switches? You should never use smart bulbs if you can use smart switches.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kri kri posted:

Switches can’t turn off my lights when I’m not home

Yes they can, that is why they are called smart switches. I admit having a couple of Hue bulbs in my ceiling fans, our house is old and only has two wires to the fan, so I put remotes in to control the fan and then the lights are Hue, but I got the little dimmer that attaches to the switch.

I guess this is an acceptable solution if you wanted to skip smart switches, I just think from a usability standpoint your lights need to be able to be controlled by a recognizable switch on the wall.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Bleh, I hate you guys.

Just bought a Slate Plus (there’s a $15 coupon on amazon) for hotel WiFi. I do the Veo camera for my daughter’s soccer team, and the thing needs plugged into an Ethernet port to upload the videos to the cloud. Which means I usually have to wait til I get home at the end of the weekend to get them off the storage. It can only fit 3 games at a time on it.

Set up Tailscale and you can use it to VPN into your home network to access streaming services on a streaming box in your hotel. You can also use OpenVPN/Wireshark, but Tailscale is free and basically idiot proof.

On my last vacation I popped a Chromecast with Google TV into the hotel TV and was able to watch Hulu Live TV from home with no fucks given by Hulu, it thought it was sitting on my home network 900 miles away.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

That Works posted:

I was never able to get Tailscale to connect via the GliNet router sadly. Lot of issues with it on their boards as well. Tried 2 diff models and hours of loving with settings and updates with no luck. Good hardware otherwise though

Huh, I had zero issues.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Scruff McGruff posted:

I haven't used it myself but I caught TechnoTim's video on it a couple months back and it seems like a good option for someone that doesn't want to have to learn docker up front to start running containerized apps. It's basically an open source version of Synology or unRAID's container UI and "app store" which is one of the best things about both those products. If you just need the apps and not the NAS stuff then it should work great, makes sense why it ships preloaded on the ZimaBoard.

When I was looking at Pi projects during COVID, the Pi prices were just outrageous.

Researching led me to pick up an old HP Xeon workstation, I have invested like $400 into it...

You can't make this think break a sweat at anything, I have never even heart the fans spin up or come even remotely close to taking the memory, CPU, even when doing stuff like encoding video. I don't even have a keyboard or mouse attached to it, 100% Chrome Remote Desktop, there is like zero overhead from CRD.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BCR7M9KX/

Amazon is doing a smart home splinter of their Echo that looks really good.

I have been really happy with my Google setup, but Google seems to have completely lost interest as they are wont to do and are actually removing features from their smart displays after killing off their party ones entirely.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

smoobles posted:

Google Home seems fine. What things did they get rid of?

My only complaint about my Google (plus Smartthings and Hue) ecosystem is I can't "hey Google" a volume change across a whole speaker group, which is kind of silly.

Multi-room audio keeps getting hosed up by Sonos rulings, they removed third-party assistant support, they are about to remove Zoom and kneecap Meet.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

IIRC the MyQ fuckery has been known about for a while, with active attempts to constantly change the API to break 3rd party reverse engineering for years now, but the recent debacle has been quite a thing. I hadn't been following it closely, but I found this post:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/the-current-state-of-myq-from-the-codeowner/630623

Basically the culprit is supposedly bot detection on cloudflare, but there's positively zero impetus for MyQ to fix it and allow HA or other things to work around it, and it's likely that this is simply used as a way to block things without having to rewrite their API periodically.

Oh, yeah, sure, definitely the explanation and not this:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

IUG posted:

Is there a good, docker, web server for your local weather that serves to a webpage? I was looking at Weather Station 4000 (or whatever it was called), which seemed to be like 80% of the way there. But I couldn’t actually get it to work (the Submit button didn’t work on any web browser out the iPad).

I just want to park an iPad in the kitchen with that info served from my Linux docker server in my basement. (The 90s Weather Channel look would have just been a perk.)

I use Dakboard in our kitchen:

Live wind map for the background, in the morning our commute times pops up on the screen, reminder to take out the trash pops up on trash day, forecast daily and hourly and the one on the right pulls directly from our weather station. If you are playing Spotify in the house the song information and album art pops up and then it cycles through NYT and Washington Post headlines on the bottom.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Kibner posted:

Are there any cheaper or better Hue dimmer switch holders than this one by Samotech? https://www.amazon.com/SAMOTECH-Switch-Cover-Philips-Dimmer/dp/B09BFW76BW?th=1

We have several panels that have 2 or even 3 rocker switches, but no more than two dimmer switches will be attached to any single panel.

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Aurora-Dimmer-Philips-Z3-1BRL-WH-L0/dp/B07RJ14FBS?th=1

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Please do not use cheap Aliexpress or Temu plugs to control high-current draw devices.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 1, 2024

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I'm like $500 deep into this:

Nothing I throw at it makes it even come close to like any utilization.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

negativeneil posted:

Hey thread, looking for some advice. My parents have a few ring cams and a doorbell set up. They would like to monitor the camera feeds via some sort of wall-mounted screen. Like a moron, I suggested they get an ipad with a wall mount and simply run the ring app on the ipad in Guided Access mode.

Well, the ring app is complete garbage on iPad. It shows the camera feeds in a single column in the middle of the screen, with tons of white space on either side, clearly designed for a phone interface and they don't appear to be investing in a proper tablet app ever.

"Ok! We'll just use Apple Home and that'll look really nice on your wall"

Ah, ring doesn't support homekit at all because they want me to buy their lovely-looking Echo Show devices instead. I'm tech savvy enough to set up homebridge or scrypted and get it working, but before investing the time I was curious if anyone has experience with either and would recommend one over the other? Or maybe a third option I'm not aware of?

My longterm project for them is to jettison control4 from their home because it's overly complicated for them and they just gripe about it and bitch that nothing ever works, but that would designate ME as their tech support person going forward and that's a fate I'd like to avoid. They like apple products so Homekit seems like the best option, but as a homeassistant user I've always viewed homekit as the most poorly executed Apple ecosystem. Is that impression incorrect?

OK, first I was going to suggest a Echo Show 15:

But then you got to Control4 and WTF? Is it like some ancient completely unsupported system? Because Control4 is good and completely integrates into camera systems. WTF are they doing with a Control4 system and some lovely Ring cameras?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

negativeneil posted:

Yeah I don't fuckin get it either. Their C4 has never been that great because like typical boomers they've got way too much poo poo to integrate. They have C4 sitting on top of lighting, like 2 different streaming boxes for some reason, cable tv, music, electric shades, a pool heater, a universal remote, etc. It's absurd and because the integrations are messy, they've grown to feel that C4 is the problem and not their terrible product choices and bloat. It appears they went with Ring because it was simple to acquire and setup and they didn't have to get it all integrated in C4 but like... That's the point of C4!!

The cherry on top is I was explaining how they could run iPads in split view with Ring and C4 side by side to kinda get things back on track and they shrugged saying all they really do is bark Alexa commands to get things done in the house. Its mind boggling. Why would you run Alexa at all when you have Control4?!

I think they might just have a lovely integrator or did a terrible job on the brief?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

As someone cursed with an older home with no neutral, one of the last home automation problems I have dealt with is controlling our three ceiling fans that have one light switch connected to them.

My solution so far has been Hue lightbulbs, connected to a Lutron Hue dimmer that fits over the fan power switch to make it look and act like a dimmer/on off switch, which was fine, actually looks and works great, but the fan was the problem.

I've been using this:

https://www.amazon.com/SONOFF-iFAN04-L-Controller-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B09C21LX9R/

And just taped off the light button, and while it technically worked, the Google Home integration sucked and the WiFi was even shittier. Also one kind of broke and I just ignored it and installing it was an absolute nightmare, physically and software wise.

We need new fans so I decided to look at solutions that were not complete poo poo but EVERYTHING with WiFI control needs a neutral.

Then I found this, Bond Bridge:

https://bondhome.io/product/bond-bridge/

It's everything that I have ever wanted! Perfect Google Home integration, apparently rock solid Home Assistant support and it just emulates any RF fan remote, now we can replace the fans with any no neutral required dumb fan with a remote and it integrates perfectly into our home control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Well, I have been really, really lazy about actually figuring out a way to set up Home Assistant without making too much effort and been stymied so far, the previously failed plan was running it in docker on the 18-core Xeon work station with 128GB of RAM that we have fun, failed plans like running Home Assistant in Docker and instead just eats electricity.

Holy poo poo, Synology now supports Home Assistant in Docker, it took like 10 minutes to get it running in a super easy user interface on our NAS which we already use constantly.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 23, 2024