Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I never used to have completely boring cars, but now I drive a Focus with an automatic and no options. It does have a warranty though, and is good on gas, and all four windows are auto up-down which I think is the most amazing thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

You know, people hate on the vulcan v6 and say things like 'eight cylinder mileage, four cylinder performance' but I don't think the mpg really impacts cost of ownership that much. The Taurus is cheap to buy and thus cheap to insure and the parts are common and inexpensive. I've got about 140k on mine and never had to do more than wear items.

The nice thing about Vulcan cars is that they're insanely easy to work on (a helluva lot better than duratecs or SHO's), and for the most part you don't have to worry too much about the internals or transmission if you keep up with fluids. I've seen several with an easy 200,000-250,000 miles. The rest of those cars tend to fall apart pretty quickly though -especially here in the rust belt. Cancer pretty much killed my 98 SHO. :(

Edit: My friend did manage to kill his dads 2000 Vulcan Taurus when we were in high school after about 100 neutral drops. He did criminal things to that car including:
1. Said neutral drops.
2. Shifting into reverse on the interstate.
3. Denting the door skin by leaning into it.
4. Blowing 3 out of 4 speakers.
5. Running into a 2 foot tall rock and bending a tie-rod.
6. Eventually hydro-locking it going through a flooded street.

I don't know how he didn't kill us both in those days.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 30, 2014

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Don't the Vulcan Tauri have the glass auto from hell though?

By 2000 they weren't so bad, especially behind the low-power Vulcan.

E: no one ever changes the trans fluid on those cars though, so a lot grenaded. I forget when Ford started putting the AX4N in Vulcan cars, but it was supposedly much improved over earlier Taurus automatics.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread