Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hrist posted:

That's a relief then. I guess I can finally go back to trying to finish it. I swore 3D Land would take them away for too many lives lost in a single level no matter what, so it made me paranoid about this one being the same. But I might be wrong about Land.

In 3D Land, if the cheat leaf showed up at all you'd lose your sparkly stars. You weren't misremembering; 3D World just doesn't do that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Hrist posted:

I just never grew out of that little kid phase of getting proud over little things like this. That, and the level is a little too frustrating for me to keep trying if I get a reward of a slightly higher number, but lose something not everyone else will have.

That's how I'm rationalizing this to myself, anyway.

My patience isn't what it used to be and I've used it to clear a single stage that was giving me problems. At least now that the shiny stars are gone for good anyway, I don't have to worry about using it when the game stops loving around.

I may not get the bragging rights for not using it, but I think I'll be happier in the long run.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
...Is there no way to go back and recomplete the level without it to clear your star, or is it stuck forever. Because I've used it in one or two levels without realizing there was that whole shininess thing going on.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
If you go back to any level you used it on and clear the level without it, you get a sparkling star on the overworld flagpole (as opposed to a non-sparkling star); once all the levels you've actually finished have that sparkling star, the save file stars will sparkle.

Edit: And it's 5 deaths in a level to get the superguide block to appear, not 8.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah, if you use the cheat leaf on a level, you can just go back and beat it normally without the cheat leaf and it is all good.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I just put the game in to check and it took 799 lives to get all 5 shiny stars. I actually expected that the total would be higher.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
New video! Well guys, it's been one hell of a ride but sadly, it's time to say goodbye to 3D World. Huge thanks to everyone here in the thread, especially those of you who were inspired by us enough to actually go out and buy a Wii U! at some point I'm gonna go through the thread and update the tally with the final number of consoles and games sold!

It's time to see what all this fuss about the Final Level is though. is it really all that bad?

Super Mario 3D World Part 12: World Crown - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

and, since you've all been so good, and this is a fairly short video, have another on the house

Super Mario 3D World Part 13: The End - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Thank you for watching! This has been an awesome experience for the both of us, we've made a bunch of new friends and given back to Nintendo in our own small way, and that is super awesome

and although it's sad to say goodbye, I have a feeling this isn't the last we'll be seeing of Captain Toad :)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I can't believe you cheated on the last level

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
This was a great LP and a great game.

But I am not going to beat that last level. Nope. That's not going to happen, and my life is better that I can accept that I'm not good enough for it.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I found it easier to bounce off the spike bugs after every wall jump that passes one. Doing weird triangle jumps off the back wall just sounds like a recipe for disaster, and also messes with the timing of the bugs and will probably lead to somebody walljumping into one more often than not.

MessiahForHire
Oct 15, 2012
What a great LP! I'm super glad you shared this incredible game. That last level sure is something. The last video is incredible too. :allears:

Though that loving Mystery House level was an absolute nightmare to beat. I kept failing at that part where you jump on the sleeping piranha plants since I was incredibly stubborn about beating that level as Peach and the timing is super tight on that one.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
That last section looked hard!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thank you Dex. Great LP.

And thanks, Vile, too.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Good LP for a Good Game

That looked way trickier than the 3D Land final level since it doesn't look like you can cheese it all that hard.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
I could not stop smiling throughout the last video. Nice job guys, this was a great LP to watch.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Thanks for the amazing LP!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Thank you for doing the things I was not insane enough to do.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Thank you for cheating your way throughdoing the things I was insane enough to also do.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Man, great job on the LP guys. The Wii U is too stronk, I really have to get one myself now.

I feel like this is the only appropriate way to summarize my thoughts on the death reel:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Even with the last video, someone still goes "You can touch the screen?! :stonk:" Perfect end to the series.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
This has been a really, really excellent LP of one of my favourite games of all time, so I want to thank you guys for having done it, even though you cheated on the very last level like I'm one to talk, I've never managed to beat it myself. Thanks :)

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Hey, he played through it on camera as Mario, as promised. So what if it's the first part of the LP he recorded? That said, that ending video was beautiful, Dex.

After seeing your save file's final death count, I don't feel so bad about my paltry 585 retries.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Tally one more game to the list! I'm getting it for my birthday/uni gift next month.
After watching your LP, I couldn't resist. Plus kitty characters are cute :kimchi:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Thank you for the wonderful ride. Suffering through those last levels so I do not have to.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hah, I love how almost everyone else is already at the end of the stage like 'Man what took you so long Mario/Luigi/Peach/Rosalina/Toad? Why'd you take so long to get here you scrub?'

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
Times Up! On this LP

Too bad. It's over.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dex01 posted:

and although it's sad to say goodbye, I have a feeling this isn't the last we'll be seeing of Captain Toad :)

Captain Toad is in Nuts & Bolts...? :v:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Awesome LP! gently caress anyone who unironically calls BS on the Champion Road run. Great job on the blinky block stairs part, with the roll+jump. Much faster than backtracking one step. And I'll second the comment up thread in the spiny wall jump part: there's no need to jump off the back wall, just slide down and bounce off the spiky dude each time. Probably isn't even any slower.

The last video ("The End") is unplayable on my iPad, something about bring unavailable in the platform. Dunno if that's something you can fix on your end, but I thought I'd let you know.

edit: Also everyone who's giving up (even preemptively) on Champion Road: keep trying. It's so much fun.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

This was a fantastic LP and you guys should feel 100% proud of what you've done. That level looked pretty bullshit, but that one run was masterfully done! Also don't feel bad about cheating, Chip Cheezum did the same thing in his NMH2 LP :v:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
That was a really good LP! Doesn't feel like its been three months does it?

Doing the roll to get through the blocks is much better than my current strategy which was doing the spin-jump. I mean spin jump works when I can pull it off but it's finicky, yeah. I still dunno how I'm gonna get through the booster section, ugh.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This LP was great, and the drama in this thread was also great!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Mazerunner posted:

I still dunno how I'm gonna get through the booster section, ugh.

You can't stop but you can change direction a bit in the air. Jumping is very helpful when collecting the key token thingers. You're on your own before that.

edit: Also this LP makes me want to play this game over and over again, and I can't think of a higher compliment for an LP.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 6, 2014

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I wonder if anyone has ever ran out of time while going through the tubes in the penultimate part of that level?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

pokeyman posted:

The last video ("The End") is unplayable on my iPad, something about bring unavailable in the platform. Dunno if that's something you can fix on your end, but I thought I'd let you know.

I'm guessing it's due to using a copyrighted song, third-party content matches tend to block videos on non-computer platforms. Sucks, but you should get on your computer and watch it because I could not stop laughing, that was perfect.

Thanks for the great LP.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Awesome LP, thanks for the effort.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever ran out of time while going through the tubes in the penultimate part of that level?

Oh most definitely, there's a failure compilation video I've seen of Vinny from Vinesauce running through it, and he hit the 100 second mark there.

Vault Vanderhuge
Aug 11, 2011
Behold Chunder Road
Thanks for a great LP, I know I didn't say much but I followed it all the way through and as soon as I'm not poor as gently caress I'm going out to get a WiiU and this game. Great LP again, hope to see you do more soon.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Joining the 'Thanks for the LP!' crowd. Your enthusiasm and love for the game really shone through.

Only thing this game was missing was a level where a whole bunch of different enemies are cats. There were Goomba Cats and Bullet Cats, but what about Piranha Cats and Koopa Cats and Fuzzy Cats? Unless I missed it and it does exist in which case this game is perfect!

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 6, 2014

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I took note of my death counter before starting Champion's Road and afterwards and I ended up dying 249 times on that one level alone, but man when you actually beat it you feel loving incredible.

Also here's a bit of a tip for the completing every level as every character stamp, the only thing that matters is if that character touched the flag pole at the end of the level (or were in the level when it ends for levels without flag poles like mystery houses) so if you play through the level alone then just turn on some spare controllers when you get to the end and make everyone jump on the flag pole it counts as finishing the level with all those characters. If you have at least three other controllers (and chances are if you had a Wii you probably have at least two Wii remotes) then you only have to complete each level twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Thanks for playing through this game! It was absolutely charming and if I wasn't moving halfway across the world I'd be another sale. You guys did great, and thanks for showing it off.

• Locked thread