Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Tornhelm posted:

Sure you're not confusing him with John Ringo? Larry saying that the Hugo voters are left-biased doesn't exactly make him human garbage (hint - they are). Nor does his nomination selection slate. See John Scalzi's post regarding this "controversy" for an actual sane non-bullshit opinion regarding it.

Larry Correia isn't nearly as bad as Vox Day, he's just at the typical level of racism and sexism for middle-aged Republican men, i.e. quite a bit and tolerant/supporting of those who are crazy racist/sexist.

Edit: That said if we want to talk more about terrible people in SF/Fantasy we should take it to the other thread.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Edit: Let's take this to the other thread to stop going off topic on this one!

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 22, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Yeah but here's the thing Deidre said "We are fighting to save the world", referring to her and Nic. What if she was telling the truth? Murphy taking up the coin she had totally seems like a possibility. Actually now that I say that I feel about 90% certain that Murphy is going to take up Lasciel's coin. She can spend a couple books acting as organizer and kind of a surrogate mother Harry's daughters, and then when she needs to step up she takes up Lasciel's coin and becomes part of the actual mother to one of them.

Piell fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 28, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Wade Wilson posted:

Whoever keeps talking about Murphy possibly taking up Lasciel's coin. Did you not read the book?

Lasciel and Ursiel's coins are both stuck in Hades's Underworld. There is no way for them to come back unless Hades sends them back.

Yes, and everyone knows that Hades has totally shown himself to be opposed to Harry and the Winter Court, 100%

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
IIRC it's mentioned in one of the books that a wand is more used for accuracy in targeting/controlling spells whereas a staff is a more generalized tool.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
No, the latest book is a lot better than the middle ones.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Grundulum posted:

What does "Laurel Hamilton" mean as a verb? I'll be damned if I'm going to read her books to find out -- the covers put me off when I worked at a bookstore.

Anita Blake (the main character of one of Laurel Hamilton's series) gets a new superpower (usually by having sex with someone).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

OptimusWang posted:

It's terrible in pretty much every way with the exception of casting Paul Blackthorne as Harry.

You forgot Bob! And the hockey stick staff.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

VanSandman posted:

Remember Changes was supposed to be the midpoint, and it was at book 12. I'll be drat surprised if he doesn't make it to 22 at least.

Denarians are every 5th book. Unless Butcher gets to 25 case files (nope), then 20 is that last time.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The Jane Yellowrock series is pretty good too.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

vulturesrow posted:

So I have to somewhat ashamedly admit that I've read the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. If you haven't read it, the female protagonist is the stereotypical dreck that seems to abound in this genre. However, I stuck with it because I really like the use of Native American mythology in it. Are there any urban fantasy books that have a similar backdrop that aren't quite so bad?

Not really less terrible, but the Jane Yellowrock books by Faith Hunter are similar.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Gilok posted:

How are Kim Harrison's Hollows books on the romance/urban fantasy divide (or quality wise in general)? I haven't read any of them, but the western pun titles intrigue me.

They're alright, but more on the "romance" side.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

anilEhilated posted:

That sounds like good news! The only other thing I read from him was A Key, An Egg, An Unfortunate Remark which I liked a lot, is his standard fantasy worth anything?

It's alright, with a disappointing ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

newts posted:

Can anyone recommend any good werewolf-related novels? I'm just getting burned out trying to search on Amazon and only finding Sexy Alpha Werewolf crap. I don't mind a bit of romance, but I'm not really into paranormal romance. There must be something out there...

I've read the Pax Arcana series already, TIA!

I liked Wolf Hunt, if you're up for werewolf as antagonist rather than protagonist.