Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hate all of you so much right now.

(I do not hate all of you right now.)

But dammit. Gonna be a rough couple of hours of class tomorrow, thinking about that book the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've always chalked Marcone to be a Marvel Kingpin character done right. Kingpin gloats and acts like a dick when there are plenty of ways for people to give him his comeuppance. Marcone is kinda particular about which weaknesses he leaves open to people (none). He doesn't gloat so much as quietly remind you he runs the city. He's responsible, both directly and indirectly for a ton of murder and illegal poo poo, poo poo that brings out the darker sides of people. Doesn't matter what cause he's doing it for, or even that he's not the biggest dick in the room. He's a bad guy running an entire city, and the only reason Harry never took care of him was due to more of the collateral damage that would come with taking him out. This too, I think, is something of a calculated move on Marcone's part. For Harry to kill Marcone, he'd have to be prepared to destroy Chicago and lose just about everyone he cares for in the process. Marcone knows Harry will never make that call.

I don't think Marcone tries to "keep Harry happy," he's too proud for anything like that. I think of it more like staying out of his way. Out of sight, out of mind seems to be the best defense against Harry.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ConfusedUs posted:

Three. Although the last one was in a dream.

Death Masks (Susan)
Changes (Mab)
Skin Game (Murphy)

That last one got me so good when I was reading it; I had to put the book down because I was tricked so damned completely. I figured it had to happen at some point, right? Then BAM, just a dream. Probably the most I've enjoyed a sex scene in a book, though a lot of that comes from the fact that it didn't actually happen.:shrug:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There should be a ghost hat. So it doesn't exist, but does at the same time.

I think this would solve most of the hat dilemma.:colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ConfusedUs posted:

I didn't know people hated Butters.

I like the little guy. I also like how he turned into sort of a Wizard Batman. He's fun. :(

I'm with you, man. Some people are quite heated about it, and this revelation kinda blind sides me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Farecoal posted:

Also holy poo poo does Butcher love describing in detail how every woman looks

I can't really tell. In my case, I started reading Dresden AFTER I got into the Wheel of Time, so it's harder for me to notice anything that isn't Jordan-esque in length.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Murphy is a great character, but at this point in the series she's so severely outgunned that she just needs to die. and come back as a valkyrie

I suddenly hate how I never thought of that, and hate you for making a small part of me want the same.

I think she's fine as is, and I wouldn't mind them trying SOMETHING. Honestly, it'd probably wind up as short lived as Kincaid.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

OmniBeer posted:

I like Schaefer's books, and I follow him on Twitter, so I just saw this post and it made me wonder who here emailed him, haha.

https://twitter.com/craig_schaefer/status/574383535638757376

Goodness deary me, that's ridiculous.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Wittgen posted:

That's not the point. The point is that Butcher's handling of the white court shows his biases about homosexuality. The female court seem to be frequently or even always bi. None of the males are. Why? Because chicks making out is hot and dudes grinding is gross. At least, that's what Butcher seems to think.

It's not news that Butcher is about as progressive on these things as a rock. Not making excuses for him, mind you, since I think it's definitely an area of his he should kinda be more open minded about, but this isn't a stunning revelation. It's another blemish on the series that some might find more frustrating than others. As a reader, it's never really bothered me. Coming online and hearing people talk about it though, I recognize it could be handled better. But hey, what can you do about it?:shrug:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Oroborus posted:

Hopefully now that Jim got the rights back we can get a proper live action series or movies. I hope Netflix takes a chance on it, maybe do 6 episode seasons twice a year so that they can get through to the good stuff.

Where was this news? I looked back a couple of pages or so and couldn't find the announcement.

It's good news, though. Even if they don't make another show.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Picked up Working for Bigfoot today. Overpriced, but a still enjoyable set of short stories. Lot of charm in those brief adventures.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So Grimm is the best character in the book, right? I've enjoyed his parts more than any of the others combined. Not disliking the other characters, mind you, but all I'm getting from this book is "The Adventures of Captain Grimm & His Sassy Sidekicks."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The cats are good too, my bad. Grimm and cats. There ya go.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hello thread, I think it's been a year since I've seen you last. Has there been any major release from Butcher in the past 365 days, aeronauts/Dresden/anything? It's kind of wild to think his last Dresden book came out in 2014.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Picked up Peace Talks yesterday and yowza, I dont remember half the poo poo that's happened since....2014? Jesus.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Up Circle posted:

I already know the hat dresden's gonna be wearing on the cover of the final trilogy

:sbahj:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ramadu posted:

lol i hope butcher keeps puttin girls in for dresden to oogle because the meltdowns in this thread are so good over them

Eh, at this point I'm just annoyed that it comes up with girls he used to see as children. There are ways to mention someone is not the toddler they used to be without going "jesus they come with boobs and hips now!!!!!!!!" To me it's not meltdown worthy, just obnoxious. Go ham on white court vamps, it's kinda their whole shtick, but stop being weird about every single girl you've ever seen.

Edit: boobs and hips, not boots and hips. Thanks, phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Finished Battle Grounds. Well, hm.

Better than Peace Talks. Low bar there, but it still cleared it. A lot of the issues I had with the flow of it were fixed when someone pointed out that there was a pretty clear theme of plans not going the way they should. It doesn't fix everything but it does make things like The Spear of Destiny does fuckall a little more palatable.

There's been some debate back and forth in how Murphy was handled and I've got to say I'm annoyed as hell about it because I like the character. The way it was handled, I don't think it was a fridging but I also don't really care. I like Murphy as the human friend who can surprise you in a pinch. I get that she wasn't what she used to be, but I never really wanted her to be a Knight, or an Einherjar or whatever. I just wanted Murphy to stay Murphy. I guess that goes against her character, but still. Bah.

Here's to not waiting another 6 years for what comes next.