Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

And it generally only happens in between waiting for books. When a new one is released getting a word in edgewise about any other book is a feat worthy of notice while we're all sperging over the shiny new Dresden Files.

Edit: and even though most of us find its quality somewhat lacking, leaving off the The Iron Druid is pretty meh considering this thread is where most of us found out about it and it does have its good points/help pass the time between books.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

gently caress the Iron Druid series.

I'm not claiming they're anything great, but they're worth adding to the list. They've got some problems (not least of which is that Atticus is a 2000 year old hipster), but they do have their good points and the short stories are actually pretty decent. The next book in the series is out in June for this.

Also, Larry Correia's Monster Hunter International (the next book is out in July) are a pretty fun too.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

I'd suggest adding links to Jim Butcher's Reddit account (so people can refer to his AMA answers) and the big "Word of Jim" repository on the JB forums. What he has said about the series gets referenced often enough it could be handy.

That guy is utter human garbage though, so gently caress supporting him. If you must read his poo poo, pirate it so he doesn't see a single cent.

Sure you're not confusing him with John Ringo? Larry saying that the Hugo voters are left-biased doesn't exactly make him human garbage (hint - they are). Nor does his nomination selection slate. See John Scalzi's post regarding this "controversy" for an actual sane non-bullshit opinion regarding it.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

You do realise that the entire reason he suports them is to annoy the far-left? I mean gently caress, his fans got John Ringo a Fan's Choice Romance Award for Ghost. Which is equally amusing/horrifying and is something that GBS/Reddit would do out of boredom.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 22, 2014

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Logan 5 posted:

e: should I spoiler any of this? I really wouldnt want someone new to the series to read it :ohdear:

Only really need to spoiler new stuff, or if someone comes into the thread and says they've started reading the series. Then we get all spoilery so that they can keep on coming in and posting their reactions which is :allears: and simultaneously annoy the people who start crying whenever we spoiler stuff from the older books.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

AfricanBurrito posted:

I thought that he did recognize it, since as soon as he saw it, he knew what Nicodemus really wanted. But I guess we'll see

You misunderstood that passage.

He was referring to the Grail that Nicodemus wanted, which is why he was free to stash all the other items away before Nicodemus got there.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

No, when Harry got there is realized that the Grail was a front and Nick wanted something else. The Dagger is what Nick wanted (or at least what Harry believes Nick wanted.)
Try re-reading it.

quote:

And upon the marble sat five simple objects.
An ancient wooden placard, its paint so faded that the symbols could not be recognized.
A circlet woven from thorny branches.
A clay cup.
A folded cloth.
A knife with a wooden handle and a leaf-shaped blade.
Why take one priceless holy relic when you could take five of them?
And I knew exactly what relic Nicodemus truly wanted.

Followed by:

quote:

Five artifacts. Mab had promised Nicodemus that I would help him recover the Grail. She hadn’t said a damned thing about any of the others. So that meant that there were four things I could keep away from him, right here, right now. Nick hadn’t seen them yet, so he couldn’t know for certain that they were here.
In conclusion: Nicodemus was after the Grail. He might have suspected the other items were there, but he didn't *know* they would be there.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe you should try rereading it.

"I figure the Grail was a secondary goal," I said. "He really wanted something else."

The knife was still in the pocket of my duster, now draped of the back of my chair in deference to the evening's warmth. Michael glanced at my coat and then nodded.

You misunderstood what was going on there.

Nick was using the Grail as a cover for what he really wanted, which Harry believes is the dagger. However Nick's deal with Harry was to recover the Grail which means Harry could, without breaking his agreement, take not only the artifiact Nick really wanted (the dagger) but the other three as well.
It helps if you use the rest of the line instead of cherry-picking half of one.

Michael glanced at my coat and then nodded. “What will you do with the other four?”

And if you go back to where he was putting the items in, the OG shroud is in the jacket too, and we know Nicodemus used the Turin one to set off a pretty nasty spell - the real one's effects would be significantly stronger.

This line gives a slight credence to your theory but all it really shows is that he recognised what the item that hit Harry's splint was and what it does.

“I’d tell you to give me the knife, Dresden,” Nicodemus said, still smiling. “But unlike your friend, I don’t do second chances. And you won’t have any need for it in a moment.”

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Arcsech posted:

Edit: Regarding Butters being a serious physical threat, wasn't it stated that Shiro basically had no right to be a serious threat at his age? That doesn't seem to really matter to the swords, beyond a basic level of training. And hey: Characters change. I'd rather see changes that seem kind of silly on the face of it than characters that stay exactly the same forever.

I don't see why people keep on saying this. Yes he was unfit books and books ago. Since then a lot of time has passed and a lot of poo poo has happened, including him spending the last few years Batmanning it with Bob while Dresden was "dead". Sure he might not be Harry/Murphy/Michael levels of fitness, but for him to survive what he has, he'd be getting bloody close to it - especially considering he's dating a werewolf and they're not exactly fitness slouches either.

On the fighting ability, sure I can see that, but thats the point of Bob, his utility belt (or vest as the case may be) and a bloody lightsaber. Combine them with his intelligence and ingenuity and he's got the goods.

That being said, if Jim doesn't do a Butters side story set before Skin Game in the Ghost Story/Cold Days period, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Well now that we've had it confirmed that there is crossover between the Greek pantheon and the Faerie courts, do you think Hades is purely Greek or could it be another mantle? I could definitely see the parallels with the Erlking there, and it would explain why he would have access to the souls of the dead for the Wild Hunt.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

SolTerrasa posted:

For those who don't know, at the end of the apocalypse we get the Second Coming of Christ. Comes down from heaven on a horse. Nothing that says he can't be politely asked, first!

I doubt he'll go this way, but also:
Butters is Jewish, and we know from the swords descended from royalty. If he's descended from Rehoboam it'd bring the Ten Lost Tribes into the mix which are associated with the coming of the Messiah too.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Probably be easier to just go House of David.
I accidentally got my ancient Jewish kings mixed up - I knew I should have googled it first. While it is quite likely that he's of Rehoboam's line (the House of David), I could also see where it could get interesting if he was of Jeroboam's line instead.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Something I just thought of.

Butters is pretty much living proof that the secret to being a good wizard is preparation - he's got an extremely minor amount of power with a shitload of knowledge to back it up. Now he's given Bob access to the internet, so why the gently caress haven't they given him strict instructions on what types of info he can give them and used him to power up the Paranet into a actual force to be feared.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Mooktastical posted:

Also, most of what I know about biblical stuff is from movies. What powers does the grail have? Could it make Nicodemus fully invincible?
Thats the thing with faith based objects like the Grail. Because its powers are based on what people believe about it, then it very likely has all of the powers attributed to it in the more popular movies/books/etc.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Did no one else catch that harry touches the real grail and feels a body wide tingle? If that's the real grail, then he no longer needs the winter mantle to keep himself chugging along.

Isn't that only if you drink from it?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Just a random thought about the Winter Mantle, the reason it might not be as effective on Harry is that most of the power is being passively used to amplify his wizard healing ability so there isn't that much left for him to actually draw on.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Should be noted that their way of fighting said hypothetical elite is forcing a bunch of right-wing nutjobs into the nominations even if they can't write for poo poo. See: John C. Wright.

http://monsterhunternation.com/2015/04/16/im-not-vox-day/

Also, have you actually looked at the slate?

https://bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2015/02/01/sad-puppies-3-the-2015-hugo-slate/

Fear those rabid right-wing elements like The Lego Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy, Jim Butcher, Marko Kloos (who pulled his book out because of those dirty right-wingers voting for him), The Flash pilot, etc.

Is Vox Day a piece of poo poo? Yes. Do Correia/Torgersen/Wright hold some views I disagree with? Yes. Does that mean I can't enjoy what they write? No - because I'm not a loving six year old.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

docbeard posted:

My only real question is why on Earth this bizarre attempt to rig the Hugo awards to put one over on them wimmins is called "Sad Puppies". Like, what are the origins of that name in particular? I just about understand why Gamergate is called that (though I mostly feel sorry for online games retailer Gamersgate), but I can't see the connection here at all.

Basically riffing of the commercials with sad puppies in them.

http://monsterhunternation.com/2013/01/16/how-to-get-correia-nominated-for-a-hugo-part-2-a-very-special-message/

docbeard posted:

I probably do owe them the courtesy of not insisting that their work is terrible without something to back that up, but that's all.

Which is a large part of what they were asking for. The Sad Puppies campaign has been pretty transparent in it's message of having people read the works and then deciding on whether they thought they were worth voting for.

Instead, there's a lot of guilt by association because Larry's slate on #2 had one of Vox's works he liked (which wasn't that bad) and Brad had a couple of works that were published by Castalia (Vox's publishing house) on it. That combined with Vox deciding to call his slate "Rabid Puppies" (and paying the artist who did the Sad Puppies logo to make a similar one for him) culminated in the Sad Puppies campaign being painted with the same brush.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Drifter posted:

I don't have any other place to vent, but I'll try to make it tangentially on topic to this thread.
I was reading the latest Alex Verus book at a Starbucks on my Kobo Glo HD (a FANTASTIC and simple ereader) and when I got home I saw my ereader had a broken screen and was nonresponsive.

Now I find that the Glo HD is freaking discontinued. :suicide:
I don't know what to do or which new non-kindle ereader to buy. Waterproofing is a complete non-selling point to me and 6" (for a screen) was more than fine. Eff Kobo, man. :mad:

Should I just get a Nook Glowlight Plus for 70 bucks until prices come down on other ereaders in a year?

And I'm going to have to finish reading the book on my desktop through Calibre. :rolleye:
Those of you who haven't read the Verus series absolutely should, and I guess be careful with putting ereaders in pants pockets.

You could look at the Icarus Illumina E654BK (Amazon) / Boyue T63 (Banggood) which is a 6" reader running android with a backlight, physical buttons, touchscreen, 8GB internal storage + SD Card.

The only real bad thing about it is the large bezels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

And instead we find out that Olivia Munn thinks that crystals and magnets make her injuries heal quicker. I'm not sure who's worse.