Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Everyone posted:

There's stuff Jim Butcher is bad at. Editing. Writing women without sounding like John Cena from Peacemaker. But he's pretty good at logical world-building. In his worlds poo poo makes sense and pays off. That was even true of Roman Pokemon world.

Well, until he abandoned the original premise and went full into power fantasy and having a Horde enemy as the main threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Nihilarian posted:

I didn't really like the zergs but they were there from the start

The origin bits for a singular enemy were there in the first book, but not the zerg aspect (that was added a few books later).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
If you don't frown on reading books intended for YA audiences there are a *lot* of urban fantasy adjacent fantasy books out there by authors like Claribel Ortega (with a novel called "Ghost Squad", plus several other things she's doing) and if you follow her on Twitter she tends to post a lot of links to works by other authors that are along similar lines, even some that aren't YA (when she isn't posting memes about BTS or What We Do In The Shadows or promoting her latest book).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Replace super with billionaire and powers with money.

:guillotine:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, we will literally be in the throes of spiraling climate change disasters by then.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ninurta posted:

The next Schaefer work on Patreon is going to be a sequel to the Hungry Dreaming. However, Heather will be doing a lot of historical research on it so I'm not sure when it will start popping up.

I read that they were going to keep using their dead name as their pen name, so now I'm wondering where the appropriate line is for name referencing on forums like this?

Like, unless you're their personal friend or someone they otherwise have a relationship with that isn't "I read their books", using their chosen name almost feels like being rude in a "you're acting too familiar about someone who doesn't even know you" way?

Like using a doctor's first name instead of "Dr. Lastname" when they haven't explicitly said "call me by my first name"? Not the best metaphor but the point is avoiding disrespecting a stranger.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 5, 2022

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

M_Gargantua posted:

It's an interesting question in the era of parasocial relationships. The dead name is effectively the corporate entity separate from the person. This has been effectively true for a while as an 'author' byline in publishing is as much the amalgamated entity including the editing, marketing, and other publishing persons as much as the author themselves.

Now we have Twitter and people feel an attachment to the individual behind the cover, so you have to split off the author from the Author.

If you look at their current Twitter bio that says their pen name is Heather Schaefer.

I guess the article I read the other day about this was wrong?

Edit:

I took a shot and sent a DM since speculation about someone should always takes a backseat to the actual person's preference.

There we go.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 5, 2022

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ninurta posted:

There's a Butcher book coming in October!...from his son.

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Mans-Ha...ps%2C115&sr=8-1

Welp, add "My son is humiliating me by writing better books" to Jim Butcher's reasons for never finishing the Dresden Files.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I mean

immoral_ posted:

It doesn't need to be good, just needs to not be bad.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fighting Trousers posted:

I like Peter well enough, but one thing I've realized as I've worked my way through the series is that I have zero emotional investment in him.

Rivers of London suffers from the same "the world and its past is infinitely more interesting than the main character" syndrome as the Iron Druid books, except Peter is far less irritating a person than Atticus.

Give me a God damned Folly/Nightingale/WWII series of novels.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I was ok with Case Nightmare/God Game stuff happening, but really didn't care for the Mhari Sue or Scrum-Vampire guy POV stories.

I still haven't read the two most recent books because I keep bouncing off the introduction chapters for the apparently non-laundry metahumans under the New Managment.

If Angleton made some kind of triumphant return from his fight with the Elder Vampire I'd be invested again.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I think Leslie went completely insane when her face fell off in Book 1 anyway, and Punch's continued influence was always going to mold her into a villain.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Please put spoilers for the Harry Potter books in spoiler tags, I haven't read them yet.

Edit: The book events in question were published in 2016 for the most recent thing Leslie did (everything else literally happens in Book 1, which was released 11 years ago).

I get spoiler tagging a book released this year but spoiler tagging things from six years ago from the forum that made a meme out of "Dumbledore Dies" is silly.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 18, 2022

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kchama posted:

I dunno, maybe be a little kind for the dude currently reading them, instead of being an rear end in a top hat about it.

It just seems a little weird coming from the guy that only uses spoilers talking about lesser known books (Like the Library at Mount Char) rather than one of the most recommended series in this thread. The same poster who also has no problem posting "spoilers" about Dresden Files books in this very thread.

If we're supposed to spoiler everything regardless of the age of the book, this thread is going to always look like a redacted classified document.

Also nothing that Leslie does after book one is treated like a major plot event so much as incidental things that happen alongside the main plot.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875825

literally in the forum rules, folks, bolding in the original I didn't add that just now

I explained the reason for my response above. This is a general Urban Fantasy thread and not a specific Dresden Files or Alex Verus or Peter Grant thread.

If it's that hard a rule everybody from the last dozen pages is going to eat probations.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 18, 2022

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Nothing I've posted without spoiler tags about Rivers of London is a spoiler-level plot point, though?

I wasn't talking about Beverly Brook possibly being pregnant with Peter's child or even the actually plot-relevant act where Leslie executes The Faceless Man with a bullet to the head. By about halfway through book 2 the reader should already be aware that Leslie isn't exactly following what Nightingale would call the Ethical Magician's path.

I'm speculating that descent towards being a villain from Peter's POV started when she was a victim of magical assault and violence. That isn't even close to spoiling the series for someone that is still reading it (especially since less than maybe 15 percent of the events so far even concern Leslie, she's kind of a selfish dick character).

That's like someone calling a discussion about the violence in The Shire in Lord of the Rings a spoiler. It is something that happens, yeah, but it isn't a plot-critical piece of information that will ruin the rest of the book's journey for the reader.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 18, 2022

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Grundulum posted:

Granted, I don’t pay as close attention to things as maybe I should, but I left the first book with the impression that Peter was still interested romantically in Leslie, and that Leslie was moving along a similar professional arc as Peter but in a different division of the police force. I did not think it was a given that she would become a villain, though without access to the book I can’t go back and re-read to pick up on any hints (or perhaps outright statements) to that effect.

There are some hints before Leslie was attacked in Book 1 with her arguments with Peter about what it means to be a Police Officer in London, but some of that may be lost depending on where you live and what that institution means in your local society.

Rivers of London police seem to be idealized Law and Order level fictional cops that actually care about people in addition to being an arm of oppression (as opposed to just being an arm of oppression that gives no fucks about people).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just more evidence of how little importance her arc has in the series! :flashfact:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sloth Life posted:

Felix Castor.

I wish this series had gone a little longer.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I figured potions went the way of the "pocket of sunshine" hanky in that the ones that would have devastating effects against forces of "evil" would require the wizard brewing them to be fully in the mindset of being "good".

Sanderson would have probably come up with some much cooler potion effects that Butcher can't be hosed to even dream about, though.

I mean, what did we have before they went out of use?

Veil-in-a-bottle, Turn-into-Air-and-Sir-Robin-it, maybe a Restore-Mana potion at some point before that was replaced by the bear charm that was used once?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Avalerion posted:

The stealth potion made a return in peace talks and I think there have been others even later in the series, just without the elaborate brewing scenes.

Yeah, but there were only the three/four effect types, right?

Veil/stealth, Turn into Air and Book-It, love potion, what else?

The one in Changes was a watered-down flight potion.

But I think that was it?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

docbeard posted:

The Supercoffee (which came across a bit more like Wizard Meth when Harry used it).

Also, I think the Third Eye drug in Storm Front was technically a potion too.

I thought the Third Eye drug was retconned into a Nemesis vector and not actually a drug/potion.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm just trying to point out that we're talking about potion use as if it was some tool that was as common as the kinetic ring or the blasting rod, when it wasn't even as regularly used as the pentacle amulet to light a dark room.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Revanche Cycle/Wisdom's Grave is definitely gay enough to pass that bar I think.

Also it rules.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Beachcomber posted:

But what benefit is that over hardback?

Why would I buy any Dresden Files books in Hardback?

Edit: Unless they were in a Goodwill book pile and I hadn't read it yet?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Harry died at the end of Changes and it was a good ending.

This is honestly the best way to look at the series.

He fulfilled the gravestone epitaph and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Beachcomber posted:

I...did not remember the fairly detailed sex scenes in Moon Over Soho. Was a fairly awkward section of audiobook to listen to.

Jazz Vampires will never not be funny as a concept, though.