Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

On e-reader chat, I got my hands on a kindle paper white on display at like an Office Depot of all places and it is seriously the slickest thing ever. A touch screen on an e-reader? A built-in backlight that looks amazing? I would drop :200+bux: on it no question.

It does not cost $200+

It's like 120 or something stupid. This only reason I haven't gotten one is because my (no idea which gen, it has 3G and WiFi) kindle is still truckin, with just a tiny patch of dead screen near the bottom where there's never any text anyways.

Oh that's where the subliminal messaging shows, you probably didn't even notice stopping buying fifteen Amazon gift cards a month when that part broke.

Also it not being Tuesday yet is a tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

It's on my kindle now so later thread (in the UK btw), time to read me some wizard

e: argh that was good but now I have to wait again argh

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 27, 2014

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Holy poo poo I did not see half of the poo poo at the end happening.

e: I like Grey

e2: I wonder what the consequences are for the airliner stunt beyond this book

e3: Anyone know what the knife was? I'm totally blanking on it.

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 27, 2014

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I was thinking about Murphy becoming a valkyrie after a heroic sacrifice or something and being sent on a prolonged mission to assist Harry as a favour from Odin to completely bypass the whole mortal thing without making her a Knight or a Denarian or a vampire or whatever, but that might be too close to what happened to Susan.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Not to mention Butters has a werewolf girlfriend and no kids to look after so why wouldn't Andi go off on missions with him? If she's going to get kidnapped anyway it might as well be helping Butters out. (by which I mean I really really hope she starts actually doing stuff that isn't being in danger)

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, but who is going to take that on? Marcone is very likely going to rework the Vault so it will no longer be a good Way point to that spot, at the very least, since it was intentionally set up that way to lure Nicodemus there. Nicodemus just had his poo poo royally kicked in per the exposition in the Mab/Marcone/Dresden/Molly meeting and lost a hell of a lot of influence in the Community. Nobody will work with him to pull what is essentially the same heist again.

Short of some epic Satan appearance to reclaim the coins, it just isn't going to happen.

If you don't think there's going to be a showdown with all thirty Denarians manifest and lined up on one side or another (or both) for the end I don't know what to tell you.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Fellwenner posted:

I hope that future books don't have as many nerd references as this book contained. It was saturated with them, and while it is sort of who Harry is, it's just getting to be a bit much.

I found the idea of someone else in the series other than Dresden having watched The Black Hole far more immersion-ruining. I didn't think there were that many references personally but then again I kept reading the Iron Druid books after the loving lolcats part so maybe I have a higher tolerance for nerd.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Oh, and while Lasciel mentioned it, I'd say with what we know now about his power set that it was Anduriel who whispered into Harry's ear.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Outsiders have DR/Good.

Xtanstic posted:

Makes sense but how the hell did he do that while on church grounds?

I figure Anduriel broke the rules to get the message across just that once, like breaking a window to eavesdrop instead of just listening to people talking outside (in this instance the window is the immaterial boundary of a church faith's threshold).

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Arcsech posted:

I can't imagine Michael being too pleased about that.

"Look, the line's 'But of that day and hour knoweth no man', right? Says nothing about wizards."

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

"Besides, I don't KNOW. It's 50/50 on whether this works or just explodes."

*spell half works, dead body shows up in the circle, Harry has to spend three days running away from the Denarians with the flopping corpse of the Son of God so he can come back to life again before he's eaten, Weekend at Jesus's*

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

^ Not onscreen he hasn't, not yet - McCoy didn't know as of Turn Coat and they don't discuss it after that

Bunnita posted:

I'm at a signing and I got to ask how old Murphy is. Murphy is five years older than Dresden and is 42.

When he signs I'm going to ask if McCoy knows who Thomas is though for done reason I think it's been asked before. Either that or where the hell McCoy is since he obviously knows Dresden is alive and the Gatekeeper knows a way so I doubt Mab could keep him off the island

Yeah I think I read the answer here as 'he knows but isn't very happy about it' a while back. I imagine we'll see him, Luccio, Ramirez and the rest of the White Council next book considering the title, and boy oh boy do I want to see those reactions!

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 29, 2014

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Masonity posted:

Peace Talks obviously refers to Harry trying to defuse the sibling rivalry between them. It's a domestic book.

Between the White Council and the Fomor, between Winter and Summer, between the Dresden girls, between Molly and her family, just for starters. There could be a lot of discussion going on, and hey, we might see Ivy again too.

Incidentally which audiobook has James Marsters go 'holy poo poo' while reading a scene out?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Thanks! I got the series on audiobook to listen to at work (literally the day before I got laid off, hooray) and I'm only at Summer Knight and it's really enjoyable so far, so that's cool.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Dresden Files Patterns

Vampires every third book (Grave Peril, Blood Rites, White Night, Changes) (Pattern broken after the events of Changes)

Faeries every fourth book (Summer Knight, Proven Guilty, Changes)

Denarians every fifth book (Death Masks, Small Favor, Skin Game)

Bad Wizards Did It every book that's a prime number that doesn't match one of the above: (Storm Front, Fool Moon, Dead Beat, Turn Coat, Ghost Story)

This only applies to who the main bad guy is: any of those can appear in any book, and they can be the main bad guy of books that don't fit any pattern, such as faeries in Cold Days (#14)

I wonder if it'll turn out that there'll be a new pattern of Outsiders every x books now, starting at Cold Days, or if the old patterns are falling apart.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm more curious how he got food out there, given that he can't open a way from there and the lake was iced over so a boat couldn't get out to him

I'm assuming canned stuff and the occasional deer from his complaints about food while recruiting Valmont, though I think the burgers he gets for himself, Murphy and Jordan on the way back from Michael's is the first Burger King he's had in two years, what with being dead and then stuck on an island. Poor guy. (unless I missed something in Cold Days)

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The scene where Hannah Ascher reveals her Lasciel form is a lot more entertaining to me if you assume that Harry's Denarian form if he'd accepted the coin fully would have looked exactly the same. Posing, nudity and strategically placed pink smoke tendrils included

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Do you think Dresden will ever figure out it's much better to have Marcone owe or even like him, than keeping up near constant antagonism?

Marcone personally murders people, let alone all the deaths and suffering his operations cause in Chicago. Just cause he's the lesser evil (for now) doesn't mean he's not scum.

Also heavy spoilers possibly regarding book 17: I've heard elsewhere that it'll be called Mirror Mirror, and the plot will be an alternate universe Harry summoning our dimension's over to kill and fake his own death, and the point of divergence between the two is at Bianca's party and Alternate Harry left without Susan and not starting the war and I have no idea where this came from! Is it speculation dressed as spoilers or did Butcher do an interview I missed?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I'm rereading/listening to Dead Beat now, that little video clip gave Butters' lines to Harry! My immersion!

Also what kind of terrible nerd is Butters, to not know what a necromancer is!?

(man I hate the Shiela scenes on revisiting them, clearly the best way to win over your host is get them banned from a book stor- and as I write this the notion that splitting Harry up from whatever familiar locales as possible would help Laschiel manipulate Harry better just now hits me, ugh)

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I was trying to remember who I pictured in my head for Mac after a friend asked a question about him (the answer was 'he's out' ) and it finally struck me, Mac is Mills Lane.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

jivjov posted:

My mental casting for Mac has lately been a super-stoic Maximiliano Hernández

Fried Chicken posted:

I go with Jonathan Banks for Mac

I'll allow it

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Is that a soulpatch-a-like goatee? Ewwwwwwwwwwww

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Wow, I must have been consistantly misreading that part then cause I'd always thought that Sarissa was the one with the dementia being staved off by Mab in exchange for her service.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Listening to the audiobook of White Night for the first time and I'm very glad he dropped all the 'Strike you funny' and 'Think you mild spoiler etc' and 'Ask you questions on the way' stuff cause it really stuck out.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Apparently the first Summer one retired while Winter's is still the original.

Also I love Marster's Sanya voice.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

WarLocke posted:

So I finally got around to trying that Iron Druid series that gets brought up in here every once in a while, and it... wasn't that bad? The dialogue was definitely a bit off, almost stilted, in this kind of 'yeah I'm a cool badass but I'm downplaying it' manner but I'm hoping it's similar to Butcher's first couple of books and just a kind of rocky start.

Just don't buy more in the series until you finish each one. Also I hope you have a overdeveloped tolerance for lolcat speech.

e: I found the first wordcount post by Captain Capacitor with some more over the next couple pages in the last thread cause I wanted to see if he'd measured how many times 'snarl' appeared, which it has 551 times, more than either Charity or Red Court, and I can believe it

(I also saw I hadn't once mentioned Iron Druid without complaining about the lolcat scene, jesus)

e2: V hahaha exactly

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 19, 2014

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

You're right, of course - the obnoxiousness of Atticus aside, which book if any did Oberon's gimmick lose its lustre for you guys, anyway?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Religious nonfiction.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Dienes posted:

My sentiments exactly. Every time Oberon says something I catch myself wincing. Whoever told the author their banter was funny should be shot.

I'm 700+ posts behind, but I just finished reading (and re-reading some parts) of Skin Game. I'm assuming that...

the cranky inmate Dresden talks to is Merlin? Old, British, doesn't make any evil offers or threats, says he needs to be there as opposed to deserves to be there.

That was my thought too, but a goon earlier had another intriguing idea I like more, that it was King Arthur.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

platero posted:

I like the idea that it is both of your guesses.

I don't know if you intended it but the idea of Arthur and Merlin being one figure split into two by myth and legend led me to imagine Harry being a descendant of this King Merlin and therefore getting to wield a Sword - given some personality changes or dire circumstances, aka the thrillogy at the end which might be a bit too crazy.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Whoever voices the Even Hand audiobook does a terrible Gard.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

gninjagnome posted:

I like the Alex Versus books, but I almost put it down when he first calls the evil mage group Dark Mages. Like, seriously, you couldn't come up with anything better?

Black Mages is copyrighted.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

DangerDummy! posted:

A soul gaze comes from prolonged eye contact, if memory serves. In fact, I remember him stating specifically in Skin Game that he broke off eye contact with someone scary because it would've been a real inopportune time for a soul gaze. Can't remember who, though.

Man, I just realised that Harry and Murphy still haven't had a soulgaze yet and unless it's a short story we aren't seeing it (onscreen? onpage? onpage) in a book unless they have some really, really awkward encounters between Skin Game and Peace Talks.

Also, potential danger zone: Harry accidentally soulgazes Maggie and that's how she finds out about Susan.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Considering the reaction of nearly everyone else Harry's shared a soulgaze with, it's more likely Maggie would be traumatized by whatever it is people have been seeing since day one.

Harry hadn't killed Susan back then, pretty sure it'll continue to be a horrible life-altering trauma which tend to show up in soulgazes.

MrGreenShirt posted:

What? I could've sworn they did and he saw her as some shining paragon holding a flaming sword of righteousness or something. Or am I thinking of some scene from Changes?

That was what she looked like through his Sight, though with tarnished armour after Blood Rites.

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 2, 2014

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

e: whoops

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I think they changed it because black is for evil it'd blend in with the entirely-not-rubbery-enough Red Court, and it also visually distinguishes him from the other Wardens.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah, Harry thinks about her when walking to meet Mavra in Dead Beat and notes her statue is missing as he does, long before going to the island himself.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

There's an interesting idea: What if Mavra turned the Eebs into Black Court vamps? Would that even work?

Merge the two courts together somehow, each gaining the strengths of one to cover the weaknesses of the other - Black loses the Stoker weaknesses, Red gains the conversion speed and strength - to form a new court. We could call it... the Blackred Blood Court!

Oh god, I am become fanfiction

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Loving Life Partner posted:

Just finished Skin Game, thoughts dump coming (yeah I'm late, being poor and relying on the library sucks)

Overall I liked it a lot. It was uneven in places, but I thought the "long con" that Butcher pulled off was executed nicely, if a bit heavy handed. Like. I didn't even understand the significance of the part where he's talking to Kringle and says he'll answer questions with the first word when addressed by Goodman Gray as "wizard"? Or something? I went back through the book and couldn't find any evidence of signals and it was just awkward.

The deal with this was that whatever question followed the use of the word wizard was answered with the first word said by the other, with the rest of the sentence as cover. Questions like Grey asking Harry if he wanted whatshisface (Harvey?) retrieved alive, or if he wants things to devolve into end game yet, etc. The best example is when Grey ended a sentence with the word wizard after walking in at the end covered in blood, Harry asks if he killed Anna, he answered "No particular reason not to" and only the No mattered, letting Harry know he didn't kill her. Searching for that particular word is easier on a kindle, to be fair, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Really hope Even Hand makes into the next short story anthology.

Also besides the murdering and drugrunning he runs a brothel, and Harry's Harry.