Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
Why did Nic need to kill his daughter when he had an entire cult of fanatics to sacrifice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
It was so bad in Cold Days that I barely noticed it in Skin Game. I really hope I never have to read about Dresden explaining how he isn't going to rape someone (even though he really wants to) ever again.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

It is also explicitly stated in Cold Days at the Gates scene that Winter is the cold brutal uncaring logic and Summer is the warm gentle caring emotions.

It sets up the thematic contrast of gibbering madness held at bay by logic, and logic is tempered by compassion.

"Mab is all about cold uncaring logic" comes from Titania, who by all the available evidence is kind of a moron (like everyone associated with Summer except for Eldest Gruff and the Mother).

All we get from the Gates scene is "Mab guards the walls of reality, Summer guards civilization from Mab."

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

About loving time. Christ it pissed me off so bad that Harry barely seemed to acknowledge this.

Aye. I was afraid this was going to lead to some dumb forced dramatic irony confrontation down the road.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

You guys have dusters or something? Secret handshakes?

Just the hats.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

mistaya posted:

I asked Jim directly about the Fomor and basically he said they were a loose group of nasties that aren't Fae, but are in a similar wheelhouse. They're the guys the Unseelie didn't even want on their side. I got the impression that they aren't a single 'race' the way the vampires are but more of a collective. I think they're mainly meant to serve as the new disposable mooks since the Reds are gone.

They show up in a bunch of the side stories, they do a lot of biological/mutant monster making. We don't know why they've been kidnapping talents, but they've shown up in more cities than just Chicago. There's been references to Seattle "going dark" on the paranet and Jim gets what you might call a "wolfish grin" when asked about what happened there.

I think the rise of the Fomor has a lot to do with the recent Outsider activity because I think they either worship the outsiders or have some ties to them. There's been mention that (Cold days) someone was in charge of guarding the Outer Gates BEFORE Winter took over, but ended up getting corrupted and failing their duty and I'm personally convinced it was them.

The Fomor have a "frog men from Shadows Over Innsmouth" vibe to them which meshes pretty well with the Outsiders being Lovecraftian horrors.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Oroborus posted:

some good stuff from that AMA:

We're going to get to see some of the other wizards trump cards (like listen to winds shape shifting)

We will find out what happened during the Unseelie incursion in 1994

Mirror Mirror will show us some of the other personalities Molly displayed in her possible future windows.

Here's my favorite.

1) Mirror universe Harry is different by one choice. One. And everything else just follows after that.

Wild Speculation Time!

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Friends and I came up with another idea for the mirror mirror thing.

Harry doesn't skip school that one day, and thus doesn't interrupt dumorne while he's enthralling Elaine. I can see three outcomes that are different from the "main" one:

-Harry notices something later and reports it to the council, who investigate and take care of matters themselves, and the Doom is never used. This could be a way to have Harry on the councils good side

-With the help of Elaine, Harry is convinced by dumorne that black and white magic is an arbitrary distinction made by people too afraid to take action. We get a Harry who's more or less the same as ours (too stubborn to change all that much, even with the ongoing corruption from the magic) except with years of training from a powerful black magic user, so he's more careful and still on the councils good side. Dumorne was never exposed and Harry is much subtler as a result of his years of deception.

-Harry is completely convinced by dumorne, goes full supervillain, eventually killing dumorne and elaine before taking an apprentice of his own (two there are, a master and an apprentice). This is probably the least likely if he went with the school choice.

Harry can't go to the council because he doesn't know they exist until after they drag him out of the ashes of Justin's house and put him on trial for murder. And the other two aren't very likely since Justin wasn't planning to "convince" Harry to do anything. He was going to enslave him via black magic.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Gygaxian posted:

So I see people talking about Mirror, Mirror, which I think is two books ahead of the current one, right? Has Butcher said something about the twist for that book? I haven't really been following it closely, I've just been re-reading the current books.

He mentioned in his last reddit AMA that mirror universe harry will be different from OT Harry because of a single choice and it's consequences, so there was a lot of enjoyable speculation about what the point of divergence is going to be.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Khizan posted:

I didn't like Even Hand at all, honestly.

Marcone was the same Marcone as always except he had this running monologue of "One day, Dresden! One day!" for no apparent reason, like he's suddenly going to snap and do something heinous enough to draw Dresden down on him. It's the same as Harry's incessant internal monologue about how that guy who always helps him out and never does anything blatantly evil is an irredeemably evil scumbag, and it's just as irritating from his perspective.

Yeah, at some point Marcone is going to have to do something actually villainous, because Butcher hasn't shown him really do anything terrible in the entire series. Telling us Marcone is bad over and over is a poor substitute.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

So the official trailer for Peace Talks confirms Battle Ground is out in September.

Did he, like, cut peace talks in half to sell as two books? Because I'm not sure how else that happens.

Now, I'm not complaining too much, because of course I'm buying that poo poo anyway. I'm just, uh, confused.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

The woman in the trailer is Lara, dressing dude is Marcone. Lara isn't anything to Dresden(they would be step siblings maybe if Mama Dresden was still alive) As to what's happening in the trailer...???

Turns out making good trailers is hard who knew??

My trailer takeaway

1. Thomas killed somebody (or gets framed for killing somebody), and gets captured by someone we've never met (who is Evanna?). This is mixed up with the peace talks presumably so Dresden has to find a way to save him without doing magic war crimes again.
2. Marcone is hosting the peace talks and doesn't want Dresden to screw them up the way Dresden is going to screw them up.
3. Scene with Dresden and Marcone getting dressed together (?) while Marcone threatens Dresden.
4. Lara wants to jailbreak Thomas. She and Dresden have what is sure to be an awkwardly written sex scene.
5. Carlos is suspicious of Dresden because why wouldn't he be, come on.
6. Dresden teleports somewhere?
7. Molly does some wand poo poo?
8. Dresden finds someone who has been beaten up, there's no indication who that person is.
9. Murphy is in a cast sitting next to a bunch of pill bottles, later she cuts the cast off with a dremel so she can dramatically limp into battle.
10. Maggie hangs out with Mister, it is good.
11. Dresden vs. Ebenezer is Teased ™ (presumably Dresden never gets around to telling Ebeneezer Thomas is also his grandson for some contrived reason)
12. Someone buries Dresden alive, and he does pop culture reference #346.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
Is there an established reason in universe for Dresden not just telling Thomas and Ebeneezer the truth already, or is that to set up drama and tragedy later on in the laziest way possible?

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Everyone posted:

Peace Talks Chapter Four is up now for those interested.

And after that I can see how McCoy might be the one to betray Harry. I'm assuming that this is the last chapter before the release. Butcher seems to alternate between four chapters on even books (and this is #16) and five for odd books, (so maybe we'll get five chapters for Battle Ground).

This chapter plus the Christmas post Peace Talks short story Butcher already put outkinda imply that McCoy is gonna die before the year is out.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
Book was pretty good! There was some good action, some good character stuff, overall enjoyable. Biggest flaw, again, is that it feels short, but i think editing it down reduced the weight of Butcherisms a bit. Hardly anything is feline or serpentine at all!

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
Some issues/questions that will probably be resolved in Battle Ground (or later) plus some Baseless Speculation ™

peace talk spoilers, obviously

McCoy and Ramirez have conflicting stories about Dresden's role in the peace talks. Ramirez says McCoy sent him to tell Dresden about everything, but in like the next chapter McCoy doesn't know Dresden is on the security detail?

Dresden doesn't know about Ramirez and Molly. Ramirez's general behavior makes me think he's working against Dresden now. More than eve the "trust but verify" scene with the sex detecting magic would suggest (which, really?)

Who raised the idea of kicking Dresden out of the Council (again)? McCoy and Ramirez both mention it, but never say who started it. Langtry, Cristos, and the Black Council generally are mentioned, but who knows?

Why did Thomas try to kill Etri? Is that really what happened? Dresden never even examines Austri, we don't get any details other than what the svartalves tell Dresden and Lara.

Was Thomas actually trying to say "Justine" through his broken teeth? That's a perfectly reasonable thing to believe, which is why I'm sure it isn't true, and will come back to bite everyone in the rear end in a book or two.

Who summoned the corner hounds? Random cultists? Cowl? Why did they pick the moment after Dresden had spoken to Justine and was squaring off with McCoy instead of literally any other time?

We learn enough about the starborn thing to not really learn much about the starborn thing. Will someone just tell Dresden about the starborn poo poo already?

is Justine herself or has she been replaced or mind controlled by nemesis or something?

Conjuritis is loving stupid, it feels like an intrusion from a different book series. that's not a question, I just hate it.

Who sent Rudy and New Generic Cop Guy after Murphy and Dresden? Is Rudy actually wrapped up in anything or is New Generic Cop Guy the double secret reverse mole?

How is the Genoskwa still alive and how did he get out of Hades?

more poo poo as i think of it

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Subvisual Haze posted:

Butter's sword (with the very detailed explanation of its functions) certainly seems to be the biggest setup moving forward Since the sword doesn't do anything to mortals but is extremely effective against evil, presumably Butters or Harry will just stab Thomas with it to fix his vampirism

Hahahaha oh man this may actually happen.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Subvisual Haze posted:

It does seem to get worse the more you think about it. The primary conflict is resolved by Harry and Lara stepping out a side door, taking a shortcut leading them directly to their destination, disabling a single guard, then finding Thomas in a barred but unlocked cell. They then drink a potion and walk out the front door

The whole thing is probably going to be revealed as some kind of 12th dimensional chess by somebody.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Speaking of True Love, the fact that they literally can't touch each other without hurting each other means Thomas saying they were 'careful' about not getting her pregnant is one hell of an understatement.

They solved this problem with threesomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
The Council kicking Harry out doesn't really make sense from their own perspective. Okay, he's dangerous and unstable and connected to dangerous people. Either keep him in the council to keep an eye on him, kill him, or keep him in the council specifically to pick a convenient moment to kill him. Why kick him out openly and piss him off? It's bad politics from characters who are supposed to be canny super treacherous political operatives with centuries of experience and patience. They still need him to do whatever the starborn poo poo is, so why throw him out of the tent?