Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

It's just kind of strange that a notable seductress has yet to actually succeed at seducing someone.

Isn't Binders whole Schtick "Always professional", which means never mixing business with pleasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Whalley posted:

He gets Scalzi's books because the two of them are friends, and because - like it or not - Wil Wheaton's kind of "mister internet" and getting him to read your books is a selling point to itself. I know a few people who've bought audiobooks of Scalzi's stuff, just because Wil Wheaton reads them.

I listened to Redshirts read by Wheaton. He was probably the worst (fiction) audiobook reader i've ever heard.

He made no attempt whatsoever to differentiate the characters. Everyone, man, woman, alien, same slightly sarcastic delivery. In a novel with large chunks of snappy back and forth dialogue between multiple characters. You couldn't tell which character was supposed to be speaking half the time, it was dreadful.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I had to stop listening to the audiobook and go read a friends physical copy. He was a perfectly decent audiobook narrator, but everybody sounded wrong.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 21, 2015

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

cbservo posted:

Edit: although my buddy swears up and down that the deathstalker series is leaps and bounds better on audiobook.

i think the Deathstalker Audio's are Graphic Audio productions. So rather than straight unabridged readings of the text they're done as Radio Plays with sound effects and multiple actors. I can imagine the Deathstalker books could be quite entertaining in that format.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Another vote for the Johannes Cabal books.

I stumbled upon the second one more or less by accident, and had to get the rest of the series in short order.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ika posted:

Personally I would prefer the award going to a lesser known author, I think jim butcher has sold enough books to not need the extra attention. (To paraphrase what pterry said about never winning one)

According to Stross's blog Pterry bowed out of accepting Hugo nominations after his first one because he had Angina and found the waiting for the announcment at the ceremony so stressful he couldn't face going through it again.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2015/04/the-biggest-little-sf-publishe.html post 228.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

fordan posted:

Kind of a hardboiled detective genre thing, I'd think.

To quote Brandon Sanderson talking about the Suvudu cage matches which kinda sums it up:

You missed the best one.

quote:

Kvothe flies in, riding Temeraire, Hermione at his side, and— (I’ve written the second two thirds of this sentence, but I’m not giving them to you yet.)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Annoyingly, it's not on the UK's audible site yet. Not even as a future release. :(

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The whole (Winter) Knight power does seems to have been toned down a lot.

I got the distinct impression from the earlier books that becoming a Knight (for either faction) basically boosted you to Captain America levels physically as well as any augmentation in magical powers.

The whole Your bodys limiters are turned off. It's all hysterical strength and ignoring pain seemed lame as hell when it was explained explicitly.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Ironically the peak of human limits is literally captain america's powerset :v:

Movie Captain America who is clearly (tossing motorcycles etc) beyond that.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Norns posted:

I'm closing in on the end of storm front. If this is the weakest book in the series, I'm so excited for the rest of them.

I'm going to stick with the audiobook format since it's super enjoyable to hear James Marsters voice on my walk to work.

A sound decision, I literally haven't read the print version since about 5 books back.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Manannan Mac Lir? Technically a sea god, but in the legends more of a psychopomp and lord of the Otherworld. Probably to obvious.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

The inspiration for King Lear, who gave up his kingdom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leir_of_Britain disagrees with you.

But it's Wikipedia so :shrug:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I've checked out the RPG, it's mechanics are too new school for an old grognard like me, but it's an interesting read as a sourcebook none the less.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's seems better than Vox Day, I suppose.

That's not a high bar.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I've tried to read and bounced off Butchers 'Codex Alera' stuff on 2 seperate occasions. Just can't get into them.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Kea posted:

Read the first book in Monster Hunter International series and dear god it is the airport fiction urban fantasy to beat them all. The main character complains about liberals, fetishizes guns, is the most bad rear end guy in all of existence, hates feds, adores the idea of end of the world compounds etc etc etc, it should be read purely as an amazing example of terrible pulpy fiction.

It was terribly unfair not winning the Hugo which he thought he really deserved. Fortunately he handled his disappointment with dignity and grace.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I'd suggest skipping out and trying the second book. I remember being unimpressed by the first one, but the second I really like.
That being said, you won't miss that much by giving the series a pass.

100% concur. I read the second book, really enjoyed it. Then liked every subsequent one. Finally read the first one and wasn't impressed. It's basically a Dresden Files situation, the first book is finding his voice and getting to grips with the character. Start with a later one and only go back if you're a completionist.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wait. He's still not married. I remember that super-goony renaissance fair proposal he did, wasn't that like 3 years ago?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Zore posted:

Which is really evident if you read the Spider-Man novel Butcher wrote.

Incidentally, is that any good?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The "timeline" relative to the real world hasn't been relevant ever. Dresden makes jokes about Bill Cosby's parenting and thinks "an orchestral version of Shinedown's 45" is a good song to reference when dancing with Mab.

If you're wanting books that make reference to real world events, pick up the Laundry files (the last book had a few throwaway lines about awful occult poo poo happening in the US, as evidenced to "normal" people by Donald Trump being President).

No that's unrelated occult wierdness, Stross has a very specific timeline in mind for the series.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2016/04/faq-the-laundry-filesseries-ti.html

It's June 2014 at the end of the last Laundry book.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

deathbagel posted:

As much as I want to read Peace Talks, I want to read book two of The Cinder Spires far more!

Anyway, looking for some suggestions. I need a new series to read, tried The Laundry Files and it didn't do it. The first Monster Hunter International book by Larry Correia was good, but I didn't make it through the second one, just seemed like more of the same thing from the first book.

I love Dresden, I really liked the Nightside books by Simon R Green to give a baseline of books I like in this genre, any suggestions for a good series that I haven't tried yet? I'd like if they were good in audiobook format too, since I listen to audiobooks while working out and am fresh out there as well. I just finished what's out so far of a couple different Sci-Fi series, so I figured I'd switch it up for a bit.

Slightly off genre, more scifi techno-thriller but my goto recommendation for a series that is a fun read and good as audiobooks is Patrick Lee's Breach Trilogy

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Alera is decent, though books 2-4 are the best. The first book is wonky with its tone and pacing, while five and six are okay but still a noticeable drop in quality.

Like Dresden, the series also has an excellent audiobook.

I cannot get into the first Alera book, I've tried multiple times. But I wasn't impressed by the first Dresden book either.

Worth just reading a book one synopsis and starting with the second?

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 11, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Laundry Files got picked up for a potential series.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1109882891897589760

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Aerdan posted:

If they don't bring Kobna in to play Peter, I'm going to have words.

The only issue with that is they'd have to abandon the whole 'young newly-minted copper' thing as he's 40.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

My favourite example of that is Libertarian Ubermensch (in his own mind) Terry Goodkind, being really happy taking the money. Then getting super-salty about the changes they made to his precious work for the TV adaptation.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Scorchy posted:

Aw that's less fun

It still seems a really random plot point though.

I mean "I need an instigating event that will destroy the masquerade and bring the monsters out of the shadows"

*Looks down thoughtfully at her salad*

"Eureka!"

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Daric posted:

Dresden and Co. just arrived in Mexico in my Changes reread. Almost gotten through all of them so hopefully we’ll hear something about a Cold Days release soon.

Cold Days is out, did you mean Peace Talks? In which case, it's apparently finished and now scheduled for the spring.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

I found the first Rivers book to be fairly tedious, but it picks up quickly after.

Agreed, I'd almost say it was a Dresden situation where the first book is pretty skippable.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Others 4: well, Europe is straight up gone. Rest in pieces, Europe.

Oh no! That's where I keep all my stuff.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Next River of London is out in February.

Next Laundry Files is out '2020' but I don't believe there's an actual date yet.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Is this the last Laundry Files book? I know CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN is the endgame, but the horizon seems to keep slipping farther away as he releases books.

fake edit: blocked out the mildest of spoilers.

Nope. It's a side story riffing on Peter Pan in the same way that Equoid reimagined Unicorns. It is a full length novel rather than a novella like that was though.

Edit: Which Incidentally is free on Tor if you haven't read it.

https://www.tor.com/2013/09/24/equoid/

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 17, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh god, there isn't enough :rolleyes: in the world for the end of that story.

That was almost into "Oh John Ringo No!" territory.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hmmm. The obvious answer is Laura K hamilton for hot were-tiger banging, but I can't recall if The lunatic cafe is pre/post the oh let's call it radical change in genre of her writing.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

gerg_861 posted:

Wait, did you too get blindsided by the end of the maple syrup book where Ringo makes all blondes into genetically forced rape slaves and then laughs about it? I threw every one of his books in the trash after that. Sorry, no amount of Dresden awkwardness compares to that osycho madness.

I did say 'almost' and it's still really hosed up though.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I see a load of original Hellboy novels are making their way onto Audible. I always liked the comic, and the spin-off BPRD even more.

Anyone read any of them? Any good, or at least fun.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I agree that Laundry files 6 was weak, but I think it gets back on track after that. I like the next one where what's left of The Masquerade gets really busted and the consequences that spiral out in the next two are pretty good as well.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah Simmons went nuts post 9/11.

Also I preordered the next two Dresden books on Audible a couple of months ago while I was using up all my exisiting credits pre cancelling as part of lockdown economising. Battlefront, the second one out this year, just got cancelled (they refunded my credit obvs.) and looking online I'm not the only one.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Daric posted:

I’m assuming the peace talks don’t go well

Coming in 2021 Dresden 18 Everything's Fine

Can Dresden get his garden safely bedded down for the winter or will he get distracted by having to fight a traffic ticket?

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Whoa! New John Whitbourn!

I had totally missed that, much obliged.